What works do English majors study?

What works do English majors study?

>english majors
>studying

fpbp
also checked

It depends on the program and who's in the department/what they specialize in. You'll generally spend your first year taking surveys - my first two years I did a lot of work with English lit from Beowulf to the Romantics. From there, you just glom on to the professors and subjects which catch your interest.

Yeah basically this
After the basics (if you're lucky enough to get them) it comes down to the whims of your schools faculty

Such a joke of a degree today

im an english major

I have a Master's Degree in English.

Lmao

And I have a job, house, college debt paid off and a car. How you doin'?

you and your honeyed words will not deceive me. i know the truth...

Reading is studying.
>americans dont get independent study courses
Your fault.

It's all true whether you believe it or not

I'm a trust fund baby

I’m studying Eliot at the moment, about to cover Paradise Lost also, and I’m taking a course in Medieval Literature on the side where I’m currently looking at Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, brushing up on my Middle English.

if you are a gifted writer (and I mean top 5%) and are interested in philosophy I would recommend majoring in psychology. You must have the thought process of a writer. A head full of undefined structures of idea that, when mapped out verbally, become concrete manifestations representing internal workings you were not aware of. This is the type of thought that leads to prolific output.
Of course you would have to go through the hell of getting admitted to a grad school, but I believe it will be worth it. Im 19 and have absolutely no clue of what im talking about, but it seems a better route into a writing focused career than an undergrad in fucking english.

>STEMspergery
Stop trying to recruit, Karin.

I have a bachelors degree, majored in English lit, minored in Creative Writing. I specialized in medieval English poetry.

And yes, I currently have a job.

If you ever get bored, instead of turning to drugs, anonymously ask working stiffs what they'd do if they had the free time.

Checked what you fucking newfag?

A lot of poetry about the plight of minorities, and generally the least stimulating crap you can imagine

>independent study courses

Oh wow, paying so I can fucking read in my own time

>in my own time
That's not how it works you stupid faggot.
You read, you are supervised. The supervisor reads what you read. You discuss. They suggest more literature. Eventually this study is formulated into a project defined by the thesis given to the instructor.

>psych
>stem
kek'd
say what you well about stem but at least they dont take voodoo shit

Can you recommend an edition of Piers Plowman?

>psychology
>STEM
"no"

is applied mathematics stem?

They have this at elite US universities but it's uncommon at pleb state universities in Palookaville, Ohio.

Why would anyone pay to study something that the only entry requirement is the ability to read a book?

There's no such discipline as applied mathematics

Sure there is, adding the change in your pocket is applied mathematics.

Why would you brag about having “a job” instead of either

A) saying what the job is
B) recognizing how useless a job really is

>implying thats not economics

English majors don't study. They don't have to. No one ever actually does the assigned readings, not even the professors. They all just come to class to verbally shit on males, whites, Christians, conservatives, etc. for an hour, then leave without ever having discussed the text whatsoever. All the essays are just computer generated gibberish about how evil males, whites, Christians, conservatives, etc. are, and the professor doesn't even read them. Not even the T.A. reads them. Grades are assigned based on how much the marker remembers you verbally shitting on males, whites, Christians, conservatives, etc. during class. No one ever reads anything that is written. No one ever writes anything that is read. No one ever has to think about anything they say or hear. You drop four years of your life and tens of thousands of other people's money on this major and in exchange you are given a worthless, meaningless piece of paper. You learn nothing. You accomplish nothing. The professors never contribute anything to human knowledge. The English department is a thoroughly rotten institution, and I can't see it surviving long. An English class is where thinking goes to die.

As an English grad this is 100% accurate

Here comes nu/pol/

And when they say "drugs"?

Why do I get the feeling this only applies to Americans?

Because they're more advanced intellectually and the cancer hasn't spread to some third world backwaters

I got a degree in English Literature from the University of Georgia in the mid 90's

We were required to take three out of these four classes: Shakespeare I, Shakespeare II, Milton, Chaucer. The rest was pretty much up to the student.

I took a survey course in horror literature. Survey courses in poetry and short stories. Romantic poetry (Wordsworth and Coleridge). Victorian literature. I did not read many novels. I did not do much modern stuff.

I wish I had taken Anglo Saxon / Old English.

I wish I had taken the Melville course.

The Milton course was my favorite.

>Americans are more advanced intellectually.
Hahahahahahahaha

I'm a fairly progressive person, so being in a more liberal environment was not really an issue for me. Your MAGA hat will cause discomfort for you in many environments. Please get used to this.

And no, you won't get a lot of great feedback as an undergrad. No one gives a shit about the papers you write. This is true for all majors.

Stop baiting you child.

>Why do I get the feeling this only applies to Americans?
Coming soon to a country near you!

Mine had a Milton course, but it was only being offered this year, and the professor that teaches it retired this year. His replacement is in a similar area of focus but a bit earlier and more focused on drama, so she cannot teach it.

>And no, you won't get a lot of great feedback as an undergrad. No one gives a shit about the papers you write. This is true for all majors.
Maybe at burgercuck schools.