What does Veeky Forums think about this?

what does Veeky Forums think about this?

I was glad they got out of Paris
The Spain fishing trip was ver comfy.
I was glad the Jew beat everybody up

Somebody should have given Bret a good beating though.

Simple, concise presentation, a command of plausible dialogue, strong insight into "masculinity"

Boring as shit IMHO.

All I remember is the fishing part. And that the guy named Cronin was a bitch. And some bullfighting at the end.

6/10

We all hate it because a talentless pedophile said so, not because we actually read it and came to our own conclusions.

Most overrated author in the Western canon. The sooner he gets kicked out the better.

I'm on chapter 5 and it's a slog to go through. Seemed like a story about nothing but promiscuous adults partying and being posh. It's a clear downgrade from For Whom the Bell Tolls. Does it get better than this?

nigga couldnt fuck

damn lol

A great novel on male-female relationships, Robert Cohn in particular was a great , realistic example of a beta male who was sympathetic qualities but everyone hated him due to his weaknesses

Minimalism works best for short stories, not novels. Hemingway was good at writing short fiction, and, together with William Faulkner, anticipated Raymond Carver. But his novels are failures.

such a boring, generic opinion, did you copy it from goodread? Hemingway wrote some great novels

it doesn't get too much more exciting. it's not much more than a detailed snapshot the lost generation, but i like the way he writes so i dealt with it

>later reads the book

What if I told you my boring, generic opinion reflects Hemingway's body of work?

I would consider you an ill read plebeian

I hope you're not implying that Faulkner was a minimalist.

God, no. What I had meant when I said Faulkner anticipated Carver was not to do with style, but with climate. Both authors were good at writing their environments in the way that it reflected the temperaments of the characters and situations.

Faulkner's Carver was narration, Hemingway's Carver was style.

If you think it’s boring you failed. That’s alright though I read it for the first time at 19 or 20 and also thought it was boring.

2nd read was better.

you read hemingway for the "writing style", or its philosophical underpinnings. plot analysis is kind of a joyless way to approach his work, cause the stories themselves are pretty uneventful.

I honestly couldn't get through the first third. But, I have never enjoyed Hemingway so perhaps it just wasn't meant for me.

only hemmingway ive actually bothered to read. i thought it was pretty good. not in my top 10 novels or probably even top 20 but better than say catch 22 for example

i disagree i reckon old ernie's a real good storyteller

Nabokov needs to be completely and utterly forgotten. He is a fraud and a jealous hack.

kinda funny he describes Hemingway and Conrad as juvenile, they wrote about some pretty big themes in their novels while Nabokov's writing is literally all about professors having affairs with women (who are usually much younger than them)

He is like one of those incredibly arrogant professors who assigns his books and his books only for your course.

i disliked it. it was dull and repetitive. it leaned too heavily on the ennui felt after WWI that didn't really feel like i could relate to it when i read it in high school. also never had my junk shot off in a war, so didn't really pick up what jake was putting down

if you browse Veeky Forums you should know the feeling of impotency well

Bunch of plebians in this thread, this is Hemingway's masterpiece.

His short stories are fantastic as well.

maybe i'm wrong but what i understood was that it was about men being a bunch of dummies and doing dumb shit because they all want to bang some broad

i was like seventeen when i came to that conclusion and i haven't gone back for a second read

Hemingway is pleb tier desu. Relative to the massive western canon you are wasting your time. Also a reminder if you haven't started with the greeks and read pic related your opinion is null