Tipping

>. I don't have to tip / it's not required.

Of course, tipping is not mandatory. We're not disputing that. You can choose not to tip if you want.

However, this objection is a moot point.

It doesn't make it right. Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean it's right.

You can steal the services of the driver if you want, but it's morally wrong. You can be a cheap jerk if you want, but it's not okay. You can insult the driver with a lame 17-cent tip if you choose, but it's a cruel thing to do.

The driver still had to deliver your pizza, wear down his or her own car, endure bad weather, risk damage to life and property, and waste precious time doing it.

This is no excuse. We're sorry, but you can't use any excuse to justify rude behavior.

Please order pick-up (carry-out) if you're not going to tip. Don't make the driver waste valuable time on a worthless delivery.

Why order if you're not going to tip? If the service is not worth tipping, it must not be worth having

>just because you can do something doesn't make it right
OK but it doesn't mean it's wrong either. you haven't actually posted any argument why not tipping is wrong.

By not tipping, some people think they send a message to the store about a particular problem, but that's no way to handle the situation.

Your message is not understood unless you actually say something. If you have a problem with the store, please call and voice it. Don't take it out on the driver by lowering the tip. Remember, the driver is the only tipped employee. Your action does not hurt anyone else. It does not affect the cook, phone person, manager, or store. Seethe pizza was lateif you're upset about that.

The driver is the store's messenger. You're only shooting the messenger.

When you don't tip, nobody knows why. The only message you send is that you're a cheap and ungrateful jerk. That's how we interpret everyone who doesn't tip.

The driver is paid a salary by his employer, right? I know waiters get swindled here but I am not aware if this extends to delivery drivers.

>By not tipping, some people think they send a message to the store about a particular problem
I agree that someone who doesn't tip for that specific reason is misguided. However there are other reasons not to tip, the simplest of which is that you just want to keep your money and spend it later on something else.

Gonna order some pizza and have my kids bring $5 in $1 bills to the door but only give $2 to the driver. Just for you

>please give me more free money or I'm gonna be REALLY UPSET and you're a jerk!
I only tip if I made someone carry 2 pizzas and 3 boxes of wings through a hotel lobby or something that remotely constituted actual work.

Real question for delivery drivers: Do you actually expect to be tipped when you deliver a single 1 topping pizza to a residential address?

I am an anti-tipper but I have to ask, why does the number of toppings on the pizza matter? How many toppings before you tip?

He just gave an example of the bare minimum. The toppings don't matter.

His point was, does the delivery driver expect reward for doing the most basic of what's expected of them for their job?

but "what's expected of them" includes delivering any number of pizzas with any number of toppings.

Tipping is easy. It is a time-honored tradition of gratitude for service given and appreciated. It is practiced in many other jobs, such as waiter, taxi driver, bartender, hair cutter, tow truck driver, bellhop, grocery bagger, dog groomer, contractors, and movers.

Maybe these guidelines will help ease your tensions.

What to do

Hand the driver 15% more than the bill amount. We're not counting coins so there's no reason to do this exactly to the penny.

Suppose your total is $13.79.

Since this order is less than $20, we will use the $3 minimum rule.

A $3 tip brings the grand total to $16.79. Pay the driver $17 in cash. The driver will know you are tipping because it's more than $15.

If you paid $15, the driver will think you must need change.

If you hand the driver a $20 bill, simply say that you want $3 back or any desired amount. If you pay with a twenty, and if you felt extra generous, you could tell the driver to keep it.Suppose your total is $24.92.

We will need to calculate the tip by estimating 15%.

10% is $2.49. Divide that by half, $1.25. Adding both gives you 15%, which is $3.74.

Give the driver $29 and the driver will know you're tipping.Checks and credit cards are easier because you can write exact tip amounts.

What to avoid

There's no reason to mention the tip directly. You can skip any mention of it when you tip.

Please don't say, "Your tip is included," or "There's something extra for you." Drivers know there's a tip and are expecting one.

When writing a check, don't say, "Be sure to get your tip from the check." There's no need to worry. The driver oversees the cash register and the final payout at the end of the shift. The store won't steal it.

If you want to say something, a sincere "Thank you" is appropriate.

>Tipping is easy
Even easier: not tipping

There are some who refuse to tip because they don't agree with the concept. A few have even developed a religious objection to tipping.

If you don't agree with the idea, by all means, voice a complaint to the pizza company's consumer relations department. Also sign thepetitionto improve work conditions.

It would be wonderful if drivers did not have to depend on tips. The store would provide company vehicles, cover gas and all vehicular expenses, and pay drivers a fixed $15 an hour. (Of course, the store will have to raise prices.)

It may take time and thousands of complaints to effect change.

Until the system is changed, when you don't tip,all you do is hurt the driver.That's all it does.

The tipping system was established to let you reward the server directly, as opposed to making an indirect payment to the company. Tips keep drivers on their toes.

This way, you can reward varying degrees of service proportionally. In contrast, indirect payments to the company are a fixed amount usually disguised in the price.

With tips, you can pay a lesser amount if you receive poor service and reward better service with a larger amount. It gives more power to the customer.

Without a tipping system, servers would be paid the same no matter the level of service. It would be pointless for a driver to take four deliveries per hour if paid exactly the same for two per hour. There would be no incentive to give better than dismal service.

Tips encourage the server to perform better in a job that really pushes the server's patience. The driver works unsupervised in their own car. Laziness would be difficult to prove but very common if they didn't have to work for tips.

Historically, customers tipped in advance to receive better service, insuring better service. Thus, the acronym "TIP" developed which means "To Insure Promptness."

Those who work for tips are not beggars. A beggar does not work. The driver worked to deliver your pizza.

how about I just don't do things I don't want to do.

>Until the system is changed, when you don't tip,all you do is hurt the driver.That's all it does.

Seems like you're incentivizing the driver to get a better job besides driving pizza around town.

Here's a tip. Stay in school.

>Obese woman in Wal-Mart
>been on the electric scooter from the entrance all the way to the soda isle
>feeling nauseous from the long trip, she guns it to feel some fresh air.
>it's not enough
>she breaks suddenly, the contents of her stomach still moving forward
>she vomits in the aisle
>OP walks by, he thinks it's pizza.

>order via skipthedishes
>3.25 delivery fee
>asks for tip
the driver doesn't fill your glass and make idle convo, he doesn't deserve a tip.

Law is that any job that makes tips can be paid a much lower minimum wage.

But what they forget to tell you is that the law also says that if they don't make enough in tips that they would have made the equivalent of minimum wage, then the employer has to pay them the difference, so they never actually make below minimum wage.

Smiling and thanking the driver is good enough right?

>30 sec after getting our food
>"Is everything ok?"
>Continues to harass is every 90sec
>Server doesn't seem to take a hint that if we need her we'll call her
Lived in Japan for 8 years then moved to Canada.
I rarely tip or if I do it's 10%. Customer service in tipping countries is either terrible or really try-hard and annoying.

Oh shit, it's aunt suzanne

>Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean it's right.

Absolutely! Just because your shitty employer doesn't pay you minimum wage doesn't make it right. Just like how you being an entitled little shit doesn't make expecting me to cover the difference in your pay right. You want that extra cash you damn well better work for it.

>If the service is not worth tipping, it must not be worth having

I'm paying for the food. That's the service I'm after, and if it wasn't worth having I'd eat somewhere else. The tip you expect is a GRATUITY. A reward for you providing excellent additional services beyond they food I've ordered. If those additional services are sub-par, you will not receive that gratuity.

You are entirely at my mercy in that regard, friend.

>Historically, customers tipped in advance to receive better service, insuring better service.

Yes they did, and it was considered a gigantic social faux pas -essentially the dining equivalent of telling everyone else in the restaurant "fuck you" to their faces. It was a tactless thing that tactless people did to inflate their own egos. More to the point, if the server were to accept a tip it reflected just as badly on them.

And then Prohibition hit.

Unable to serve alcohol, many restaurant owners suddenly found themselves incapable of paying many of their staff. Servers were encouraged to take tips if offered, because the fact was they may not be getting paid that week.

Of course, when Prohibition was ended those same restaurant owners realized they could keep paying servers shitty wages and pocket the extra cash because by that time the American public was well on its way to being conditioned towards tipping.