Ayudame

I am a master of all culinary techniques, but I can't make a tortilla to save my life. Specifically, I can't figure out how to flatten the thing and get it into the pan without it falling to bits. I'm at my wit's end.
I'm using blue masa, for what it's worth, with about a 53-47 flour to water ratio. I can manage little rounds bout a quarter inch thick, but that won't cut it. Help me Veeky Forums, you're my only hope.

>inb4 just buy tortillas
The taste of fresh is worth the torture.

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt7884954/?ref_=ttep_ep6
bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/fix-dry-corn-tortillas
dailymotion.com/video/x1g494
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

haha my dude just put some oilarino on that cornola know what im saying

I tried buttering up the surface I was making the tortilla on, but that caused the tortilla itself to crumble easier.

You either need a tortilla press or one of those aztec shitbox wooden sticks.

This show makes it from complete scratch.

imdb.com/title/tt7884954/?ref_=ttep_ep6

I know tortilla presses are pretty cheap, but will that help me with my problem specifically? Don't I still need to figure out a way to get it into the pan in one piece?

Honestly, I'd watch that Phil episode. They masticate the entire formula with a stick and it comes out as an in tact tortilla they then throw onto a very hot piece of metal. These guys are master tortillowhatever they call it working in Mexico City. On the other hand, I think a tortilla press would hook you up.

I'll give it a watch, but I think I've come to the conclusion that my ratio is favoring water too much and that I'm not giving the flour enough time to absorb the water, based off this BA article.

bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/fix-dry-corn-tortillas

The abuela on the side of the masa package I bought lied to me.

dailymotion.com/video/x1g494

I would recommend glutenizing whenever you have separation issues. You need that elasticity.

That's about using an amylase to break down the corn, yeah?

Yes, you shit skulled infant, you will never be able to achieve tortilla without a tortilla press you absolute waste of skin

why do they let drunk Australians on the net? Go fuck your immediate family and end up a crime story.

Where did you go, you confused fuck up? I know you people don't get Europe or North America, but we like to include you fuck ups, like you're special needs westerners.

Did you fall asleep or get bitten?

>master of all culinary arts
>can't figure out literally primitive tier corn meal flat bread

You people are as important as people who live in Fiji. You've probably figured that out now.

Obsessed.

Bored. I'm watching Veep. You garbage people are like.. bumfights I guess.

Trying to decide if I make chowder with garlic bread.

Am I witnessing someone discovering ironic humor for the first time?

white boy who works in a proper mexican restaurant here

if they are still sticky you are using too much water. best way to get them in shape is a taco machine or a simple taco press. my gf got me one for like 10 bucks off of amazong, should be no problem. if you are doing them by hand you should flour your work surface with wheat, flour your rolling pin with wheat and make sure you kneaded the fuck out of that masa. it really takes some time.. I often make mine by hand and it's easy really.

if they're falling apart youve likely done a shitty job at kneading or used too little /too much water. its exactly those little things that make tortillas mediocre or orgasmic.

Surprised no one posted this yet.

How do you get blue corn?

Go to Peru

I make mine in a press and just slide it into the pan from there. Before I got the press, I used a damp tea towel to prepare it on and just turned it over into the pan.

It's the 2018 Juicero.

The recipe I go by is 2 cups masa to 1.5 cups water. When you roll out the balls (I weigh them at 1.8 oz) keep them under plastic wrap so they don't dry out. I line my press with a plastic sandwich bag that I've slit the sides of. After pressing, I lift the top piece of plastic, turn over resting the pressed masa on my palm and peel back the other layer of plastic then just turn my hand over laying it into the pan. Complicated to explain, but there's a buttload of tube vids showing it.

Ayudame jajjaa Lol tu sos de mexico

yeah homeboy clearly isn't using plastic wrap

you take the top layer off, slide it bottom plastic layer facing the palm of your hand, then flip it off the plastic onto the cooking surface

Thanks brother.
Bought it at a Mexican grocers.
Thanks. The masa packaging was deceiving me, but I'll try a 4:3 ratio next time.

Are u a hipster? Only true mexicans want blue or red corn outside Mexico

Yes, I am a hipster. I bought the masa because it was blue. Same reason I make my pasta with squid ink.

Take that ya biatch and swallow!l