Could I make my own vodka by mixing Everclear and water? Vodka is just water and alcohol, right...

Could I make my own vodka by mixing Everclear and water? Vodka is just water and alcohol, right? So watering down pure alcohol would give you vodka, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sial/459836?lang=en®ion=US
theliquorbarn.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-190-proof-750ml/
winetoship.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-151.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM-89QObh6jDlhqr9VJ9elzHOpqdU5cWtntTWe4n4O5hgI-_ft_DIqRoC9CUQAvD_BwE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

No.

Why not? Tell me where I'm wrong.

No.

Yes, says it right on the wiki page

You're wrong in your assumption that vodka is just water and alcohol. It is not.

Be more specific.
What else is in vodka?

This thread is stupid so I will give you a southern delicacy recipe. Redneck white russian:

1 bottle of Yoohoo
1 minibottle of the cheapest vodka

Enjoy.

>What else is in vodka?

That tells you what it's made from, but that doesn't tell you what's in it. Distillation removes anything that doesn't vaporize.

you can try it if you want i guess?

everclear is not pure alcohol

Isnt everclear used for moonshine? Why would you use it for anything else i hear it tastes like death

>Distillation removes anything that doesn't vaporize

>thinks everyclear is pure alcohol even though it literally says in huge text right on the bottle "75.5% alcohol"

Pretty much, yeah. (not OP)

No he got it backwards.

The end product has vaporised. Everything else stayed in the original container and is now removed.
Do you need it spelled out further, you pedantic child?

>vodka is made from grains
>everclear is also made from grains
>vodka isn't just watered down everclear
Check out the brainlet over here that doesn't know that all alcoholic beverage is diluted with water to a certain percentage of alcohol.

you want this instead OP
sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sial/459836?lang=en®ion=US

yes, not sure why you would want to though unless you are just planning on drinking it straight

do you understand what the word distilled means?

For me, the question is -is everclear vodka?
Does alcohol have to be below a certain percentage to be labelled such? in the states?
I've bought 101 proof vodka before...
If so, then how does bacadi get around this when selling 151 proof rum?

it's as pure as alcohol can get considering that alcohol is hygroscopic, so it'll soak some moisture out of the air naturally. the only difference between everclear and medical/scientific grade alcohol is chain of custody for the stuff labs and hospitals get.

the only reason it'll say that some places is because of legal limits to alcohol content. they just dilute it with water. in texas it's 200 proof, 99+% percent alcohol.

i drank a gallon of pure 200 proof grain alcohol one week. didn't drink for a year after that because the smell would make me nauseous. it's the only time i ever blacked out and woke up sleeping in a ditch of weeds miles from home with vague recollections of rambling around talking to people.

yes, it's vodka. taste it.

Yes, that’s all it is...

I meant, why is it not labelled as such?
Marketed as a vodka?

>the only difference between everclear and medical/scientific grade alcohol is chain of custody for the stuff labs and hospitals get.
and more importantly the taxes

Also, you can make 100% ethanol and as long as you keep the bottle closed it will be fine, it just costs way more than distillation so its only useful for lab use where the purity or lack of water is necessary

just marketing. Most people associate the term vodka with 40% stuff because that is how it is traditionally sold, but with calling it everclear you immediately know it is the strong version

They don’t add water to it enough to call it vodka. Pure filtered alcohol plus pure filtered water = vodka.

because, like, why not i guess. devil springs is a 200 proof alcohol labelled as 'devil springs vodka' and it's indistinguishable from everclear. identical products.

It is hygroscopic but you can definitely get it higher than the 75% or so Everclear is.

Welp that's enough Veeky Forums for today

everclear is sold in different concentrations depending on the local laws. like i said i can get 200 proof, (or maybe the bottle says 199 proof) stuff around here. alcohol only absorbs less than a percent of it's concentration in moisture from the atmosphere.

everclear is 95% the point where ethanol forms an azeotrope with water (beyond which it costs a lot more to purify)

That's not a regulation though, I've purchased 101 proof vodka.

>identical products
But everclear isn't 200 proof, it's 151 proof.

>But everclear isn't 200 proof, it's 151 proof.
Maybe if you live in some backwoods state with extra restrictive liquor laws. Everclear is typically 190 proof

everclear comes in many different concentrations depending on local laws.

theliquorbarn.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-190-proof-750ml/

winetoship.com/everclear-grain-alcohol-151.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM-89QObh6jDlhqr9VJ9elzHOpqdU5cWtntTWe4n4O5hgI-_ft_DIqRoC9CUQAvD_BwE

Says 75.5% on the bottle in the fucking OP, though, doesn't it?

ok, but thats not what it is in normal states

I'm not American so I only had that to go by. I see the other replies saying there are different strengths on the market now. Just a misunderstanding then!

Not saying it’s a regulation. I have had some pretty miserable cups of coffee and they are still coffee.

It’s the filtering of both that is the basic recipe for vodka.

can confirm
virgin pussy states like pennsylvania outlaw anything over 151 proof. chad states like alabama sell 190 proof grain alcohol.

Yeah, a handful of states ban azeotropic strength alcohol and limit it to 150 proof so in those places they sell the 75% version, but most states allow the full 190 proof stuff so thats what most Americans will associate with Everclear

I don't think I would go to Alabama as a prime example of a state with good liquor laws. Pennsylvania definitely has the worst though. And there are somehow still actual places in the south where alcohol sale is not allowed

yeah i agree. i used to live in bama and it sucked having to drive to another county to buy booze.
it's just that i don't really drink anymore and it was the only state i knew of that sells 190 proof.
and i love the virgin vs chad meme.

yes. the ideal vodka is just ethanol and water. You can't get pure ethanol (100% abv) by conventional distillation, however, because water and ethanol are azeotropic.

The best you can do is find 190 proof (95% abv) liquor. It's not sold in every state (assuming you're in the USA), but it should not be too hard to find. If you blend 95% ethanol with reverse osmosis filtered water you could make nearly perfect vodka.

OTOH, you could try blending 190 proof liquor with water from different sources (e.g. various springs or bottlers) and see if you get a flavor you prefer.

It is legal to sell Everclear 190 in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, and in some military stores within the continental United States.

>ok, but thats not what it is in normal states

there is no "normal" for everclear concentration in the states because the liquor laws vary from state to state, just like the gun laws, laws concerning cars' license plates, and so on.

How uncultured are you? Do you honestly think that your experience is universal?

A majority of states allow the 190 proof, a minority only allow the 150 proof. I would say the majority qualifies as what is 'normal'

false. I bought Everclear 190 in Tennessee when I visited a few years ago. I ended up using it to make limoncello and gin.

It is not legitimate vodka if it is not made from potatoes

> I would say the majority qualifies as what is 'normal'

spoken like a true neanderthal. do you think that gay people aren't normal, too, you fucking ignorant prick? I hope all homophobes like you kill themselves in mass.

note how the post says "legal", not "illegal"

my mistake, but it's still wrong. In Pennsylvania you have to get a special permit to buy 190 proof liquor.

thats literally what normal means. Surely the life experience of gay people isn't the same as the experience of the vast majority of people. In many instance being normal isn't a good or bad thing (though in the case of more restrictive laws in a minority of states it is)

vodka can be made from wheat as well

maybe the fact that the permit is available qualifies it for the list?

I have a "permit" for oxycontin. Would you consider that drug "legal" because of that?

nuVodka maybe, not real vodka

depends on what the permit and its requirements are. I don't know how it works in PA, but if it were equivalent to needing a doctor and valid medical reason then I wouldn't call it that. If its just paying the state a little extra money then its fair to say it is legal

I didn't make the list though

>Kentucky famous for a specific liquor
>can't buy it in 80% of the state
iirc Jack Daniels is made in a dry county

You're getting cheated; Everclear in MA is 95%.

Why isn't Jack Daniel's labelled as a bourbon? They didn't want it to. Same with Everclear. They don't want to be labelled as a vodka, they want to be labelled as Everclear.

Probably some other regulations too.

OP, yes. Vodka is just ethanol and water. Everclear is ethanol with less water.

Yes. Dont forget that 1. ethanol hydration is exothermal reaction, so chill it
2. Resulting vodka volume will be less then volume of water and ethanol
PS I somewhat traveled a lot and clear ethanol is the most practical way to carry alcohol

Idiot.