>mom tries to bake something
>"that's too much sugar, i'll just add half/a quarter/a tablespoon instead"
>"mom you really should follow the recipe or it won't turn out right"
>"user that would make it too sweet. I don't like sweet food."
>whyareyoubakingthen.png
>recipe turns out bad, dry as hell and hard to eat
>"i wonder why it didn't work!/why aren't you eating it?"
every time
how do I get her to actually add sugar to recipes? I love her but...

My mom cuts vegetables with her fingers outwards instead of the inwards claw grip. She cut herself good with my sharp knives...

>whyareyoubakingthen.png
they can't help it.

>cooking literally anything
>adds no salt

>follow the recipe or it won't turn out right

>fiancee making tea
>puts the water in first
>then the milk
>then the teabag
>wonders why it turns out like shit
>does the same thing with coffee

>tea
>milk
i dont follow

You have to throw a tantrum OP, it's the only way your mom will learn. I'd suggest waiting until the middle of the night when she's sleeping. Grab a bag of sugar then go into her room, turn the light on and start screaming at the top of your lungs while waving the bag of sugar everywhere. Make sure to throw some directly at her as well, and all over her bed. Finish by throwing the bag on the floor, turning the light off and walking out.

She'll be angry and confused, but I guarantee the next time she bakes she'll use the correct amount of sugar.

My roommate

>consistently starts recipes before checking he has all the ingredients
>oh we didn't have enough milk to make this mac n cheese ... I'll just serve dry macaroni on the side
>always overcooks veggies to the point where they're inedible
>tries to improvize on recipes but totally fucks it up
>yesh, the cookie recipe said to cream the butter and sugar at room temperature but I melted the butter in the microwave and used that
>mashed potatoes are more milk than potatoes
>won't eat spycy food
>won't eat dark meat

I'm British. Though, one shouldn't consume Earl Grey with milk, I agree.

I'd move out.

>mom washes raw meat with hot water
>dad uses rancid oil that expired years ago
>using old margarine containers as storage or serving bowls
>all knives dull as fuck. mom says "but they get the job done"

There is nothing wrong with using old margarine containers for storage.
That said everything else you listed is infuriating.

Well hopefully she learned her fucking lesson huh?

you try baking a cake with half or even less than a quarter of the sugar needed and see how it turns out
or not adding the tablespoon needed for bread...

my mother never sharpens her knives and it triggers the fuck out of me

I never put any sugar in my bread and it tastes fine.

I generally find at least a little sugar helps with the yeast blooming, and a lot of recipes call for some

this but instead of throwing a tantrum pretend to be the sugar ghost and spook her because if she doesn't use enough sugar she will die

OP, my mom does this too, I feel you

OP, next time get her to experiment, take half the mixture and add the correct amount of sugar (half of whats required) and then she can add half what she was going to add.

is the sugar ghost going to kill her, or did it die and is now warning others?

Mum bought some meme colourful knives which can't cut for shit. She preheats the oven if she wants something simple like chips or anything else from the freezer, just put it in for an extra 5 minutes. She'll put used dishes and pans INSIDE THE FUCKING SINK MEANING YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL OUT AGAIN TO WASH IT UP. Can't stand going around there for cooking alone.

Baking is not cooking mate, its basically a science.

Cooking is an art, baking is a science.
And people who can make up good baking recipes on the fly are fucking warlocks.

That's so silly

Do not question the sugar ghost!

Mom gets mad when I visit and locate the steel to hone her knives before I use them.
>But you make them too sharp, I always cut myself with them.
How she isn't removing fingers with the saws she tries to say are knives I will never know.
And yes, I know steels do not "sharpen" knives, but I get irritated when I see nicks on the blade.

My mom never properly drain pasta.
I guess it’s because she’s East Asian so they like watery noodles.

It's nowhere near as finnicky as people make out. Recipes are always rounding off quantities to fit whether the target audience uses imperial or metric. Egg quantity is usually given numerically even though different eggs are different sizes. Solids are frequently measured in volume, even though you'd need to be measuring weight to get it consistent. Variation simply doesn't matter that much.

Someone failed chemistry.

>Doesn't add salt to literally anything she cooks because "food has enough salt already"
>Asks how everything I cook tastes good and gets mad when I just say I use salt and pepper

>variation simply doesn't matter much
t. baking experience consists of chocolate chip cookies
Anyway, in OP's case it matters a lot. In lots of recipes if you halve the sugar (which probably calls for cups) without adjusting anything else, it's going to fuck up. Also variation does matter in any baking recipe that isnt braindead status or requires a bit of consistency.

A milky Earl Grey is sublime don't kid yourself.

Urgh, my dad does the same thing with dishes and he expects other people to clean up his messes when he cooks.

>dad doesn't fucking know how to make potatoes not raw because he likes it when it's half cooked for some fucking reason

My stepdad cooks for us like it's a really big deal and complains all the way through it and during the clean up.
Just fucking pull up your jockies and do it.

The reason young women like baking is that if you follow the recipe it is impossible to fuck up because it is exact. And why do you think bakers use weight measurements instead of volume?
Baking is not cooking, retard

We were talking about cake user, not bread, bread doesn't need sugar but it helps a bit

>Cooking is an art
Nice meme. Baking has way more in common with art than regular cooking

gf
>doesn't salt pasta water
>uses way too little salt in general
>can only eat "a warm meal" once a day
>doesn't believe my claim that I need to eat certain amounts of calories and protein a day if I wanna gain weight
>can't stand it when I know something about cooking that she does not
>usually lets me do all the work because of that
>never washes the dishes when she's at my place
>cannot handle the borderline retarded antics of her flatmates

her flatmates
>put stuff in the dishwasher all over the place: diagonal plates, small deep plates with large flat ones, bowls blocking the plate section, cooking utensils blocking the fan, cutlery ending up on the bottom
>leave disgusting used pots in the sink, then leave the apartment for several days
>put shit in the sink instead of the dishwasher right next to it, despite everyone having agreed not to do it 15+ times
>put dirty dishes right next to clean dishes drying next to the sink
>buy tiny sponges the size of a credit card and leave them in the bottom of the sink
not cooking related but they also
>leave light on despite being the last person to leave a room
>leave doors wide open creating cold air currents

> Sugar only controls level of sweet in baking
Being this dumb

My mother is literally the laziest person on earth, she will always ask me what I do different for dish X because it tastes so much better and then I say something really mundane like "saute the vegetables first instead of just throwing everything into a boiling pot" and she acts like it's some impossible task and tries to get me to make dinner

Also she explicitly only eats off of disposable cutlery to save on dishes because apparently she "can't keep up with the dishwasher" but has no problem with throwing a 36" baking sheet into an entire rack that's only barely dirty from baking frozen food and I end up pulling the big things out and hand washing them to make room

"""no"""

I second this
or
>whyareyoubakingthen.png
literally look her in the face and say this instead of muttering to yourself like a cuck

Grandma drives me mad with basically two things:

1) she uses way too much oil/fat when cooking.
Seriously, her lecsó or chilli looks like the aftermath of Exxon Valdez...

2) she prefers 1 single method of cooking fish and that's frying it in butter, sprinkled with caraway seeds. We get a nice trout, she fries the hell out of it until it's soggy and doesn't really have any taste left, when all it needed was putting few slices of lemon and some herbs inside, adding some salt, drizzling it with a bit of olive oil and putting it in preheated oven for few minutes...

>doesn't salt pasta water
uncontrollable_rage.jpg

I have a relative that washes spaghetti in cold water after cooking it. It makes me want to murder. She also makes godawful "cincinatti" style chili with like four tablespoons of cinnamon powder per serving. It's so disgusting the dog won't even eat it, yet it's in their weekly meal rotation.

Not to feed the boomers are terrible meme but most of the 60+ people in my family are abysmal cooks. Just looking at my mom's pantry is like a lesson in 1955 era canned food. Nothing like canned asparagus to get the vomit flowing.

hit her with this
>ma, if you're not good enough at baking to change the recipe on the fly at least find a recipe you like and follow it instead of ruining one you hate.

My mom always wants her meat cooked through, this includes any steaks etc.

Whenever she cooks she starts doing other things:
>puts on rice, meat or whatever
>either watches tv till something smells burning or goes upstairs
>then yells 10 min later that I or dad have to check on her cooking and continue cause she's busy
>one time she put on beef and went to bed, I came home to find the entire floor filled with smoke and burned beef
>she thought I was coming home shortly after putting the meat on and therefore went to bed
>once tried to run our gas bbq inside the house cause it was raining

Because of their lack of attention their food is always droopy: like rice still being wet. I started doing the cooking myself whenever I am over cause it annoyed me a lot and cause I wanted to eat more than the same 5 dishes every time I visit.

>She'll put used dishes and pans INSIDE THE FUCKING SINK MEANING YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL OUT AGAIN TO WASH IT UP. Can't stand going around there for cooking alone.

Oh God.
>mom drinks and eats and leaves plates on the table next to her seat
>walk to the kitchen
>user DONT WALK AROUND WITH YOUR HANDS EMPTY, CLEAN UP MY SHIT!
>have an empty cup or plate on the table next to you
>mom never does the same in return
>user DO I LOOK LIKE YOUR MAID, CLEAN UP YOUR PLATE WHEN YOURE DONE

or

>leave the room
>user bring me a drink if you go to the kitchen, get me this, get me that
>at some point refuse to or say you didn't plan on going to the kitchen
>user my life is so hard, I work every day so when I ask for something you should do it!
>but mom you never do these things yourself either
>user thats cause I am your mother!

>Mom leaves dishes on top of the dishwasher
>half a day later
>user why did you not put these inside!

I was so happy when I got to move out

>I have a relative that washes spaghetti in cold water after cooking it.
My mother does this and it annoys the fuck out of me.

it stops the noodles from cooking further as it sits

if you know how to cook pasta, it's totally unnecessary. plus it makes the noodles gross and cold.

washing pasta after boiling is a 1960s shitty cooking maneuver.

Your dad probably doesn't know about blanching. Why don't you teach him.

its a prep thing

Sounds like every roommate ever.

Noodles don't cook any further once they're drained.

its subtle

The amount of rage my mom and one of my exes have directed at me over me just saying "I season it it properly and actually use salt." is fucking unreal.

get out non-white reee

Wait is that fucking normal for a 18+ year old?
I moved out with 17 and havent talked nor met my parents since (21 now). Like, they have been cunts youre entire life and youre still enjoy cooking with them or even talking to them?

Mom isn't white trash so I don't have this problem.
We cook together and clean together and our food is the tastiest.

>I've never cooked 5lb of noodles before

Your mother behaves like a fucking millennial, your dads not around is he?

nah kid, nah

bergamot + milk is not good.

Your mom is right. Recipes often call for twice as much sugar as they really need.

>tossing dirty dishes into the sink instead of spending 30seconds to spray them off and put in dishwasher
>not at least placing dirty pots/pans/bowls in the sink upside down so they don't fill up with dirty water and turn nasty
>recipe calls for whole milk but they're too cheap to spend $1 on a pint of it and claim the soy-milk or whatever hippy garbage they drink is exactly the same

So? You dont have to eat his slop.

Decorating cakes isnt an art. Its a hobby for women.

>Add salt to fries, pasta water, pizza dough
>Add excessive water to pasta sauce
>Flip burgers early which makes part of the burger rip off and stick to the grill
>Cut the food others will eat with their own cutlery
>Overcook chicken nuggets

British people just can't help themselves when it comes to ruining food

My mother refuses to let me teach her how to chop an onion properly, she cuts them into rings then slices all the rings individually. What makes it worse is that she has a really nice $700 wühstof knife set. I love that woman but holy shit some things about her drive me insane.

My mother is a fucking horrible cook despite raising eight kids
>has one dull blade for all kitchen work, she's scared shitless by any kind of sharp knife
>boils burgers after they on stove with insane amounts of worcestershire (i never finished one as a kid)
>moved out and visited again, no measuring spoons, no seasonings of any kind except for salt and 2-year-old ground pepper
>zero knowledge of frying any kind of food
>extreme aversion to complex, layered flavors
>overcooks all meats
>does not taste as she cooks (she sure stopped cooking quick after we left)
>burns hot dogs because she likes them that way(forgivable but weird)

god bless her heart, at least she's clean. its frustrating because my lard-ass dad actually knows how to cook and never taught her or anyone else. now I get stuck prepping holiday meals because no one in my family will read a fucking book.

also my friend will scrape my knife horizontally against the cutting board when he chops and it pisses me off

>>not at least placing dirty pots/pans/bowls in the sink upside down so they don't fill up with dirty water and turn nasty
Uh, but filling a pot with dish soap and hot water is a good way to prepare it for a thorough cleaning. Especially if its encrusted with starchy stuff. Overturned pots just clog up the sink
>>Add salt to fries, pasta water, pizza dough
You do not add salt to all those things and consider yourself a superior cook?
>>has one dull blade for all kitchen work, she's scared shitless by any kind of sharp knife
That's the third time I'm reading this ITT. Don't these people realize that its much easier to cut yourself with a dull knife than a properly working sharp one?

Theres nothing wrong with adhering strictly to recipes in all forms of cooking. You're free to experiment and try new things, but most people follow the recipes on everything.

Yeah but omitting 200 grams of sugar in a cake or cookie recipe is a bad fucking idea

>mom cooks something
>makes a mess of the entire kitchen and leaves it
>is mostly blind so she can't see that she made a mess
>also has early onset dementia so she'll forget that she ever cooked anything anyway

>Oh, user, I can't eat so many ingredients in this recipe; my new diet tells me they're the reason I'm fat! We'll have to substitute with these bullshit meme ingredients, I'm sure it'll be just as good :)

>Don't these people realize that its much easier to cut yourself with a dull knife than a properly working sharp one?
Not him, but no, they don't and there is nothing you can say or show them to convince them otherwise. Believe me I've tried with my own mom and sister-in-law.

>I cooked, so you have to clean!
>the """""""cooking""""""" was slopping some canned fat over shitty cuts of meat and putting it over rice in a crock pot
>which she insisted on cooking the night before and reheating the next day
>I now have twice the dishes for a total non-dinner

I can't count the number of times I have almost sperged out and smashed that loathsome piece of ceramic instead of washing it.

How would cutting sugar make it dry though? There's also xilyt or stevia if you wan't to cut on sugar but like the sweet taste.

>mom and step mom both use a paring knife for FUCKING EVERYTHING
>their knives are all dull as shit and the paring knives have chips and stuff taken out of them

Not gonna bother with greentext but my mom is not just lazy as fuck, she doesn't have the smallest idea when it comes to cooking.

Like whenever she cooks pasta she breaks the spaghetti in half, before the water is even near boiling because "it's supposed to be cooked like that, are you dumb?". Or throws literal pounds of meat on a cold pan because "it's gonna cook faster" even though she cook that shit for like 10 minutes each side, and they are not even thick steaks either, they are a like an 1/8 of an inch thick, the she wonders wheb the meat is all dry and tough

ugh. bad knives make me uncontrollably angry. if I'm driving or checking bags when going to family events where I'm expected to cook, I always bring two of my own knives. it may sound spergy but whatever.

Fucking this. I always bring my chef's knife and steel whenever I go to family gatherings, even though I always say that I'm not going to cook anything or help out in the kitchen.

hey can you cut these for me
>pulls out a glass cutting board

I try to watch my grandma and learn how to cook from her.
>she does some stuff I write down
>note her tempreture settings
>ask her how I can notice if I got the right temp
>instead of answering she fiddles around with her settings and lowers it
>ask her why she did it
>"you're right user" and puts it back up again
I learned from that to just be a very passive spectator, every question I ask will cause her to not do her usual thing. I also learned that cooking is very easy and you can just throw everythin into the pan an wait some time till you think its done. She literially cuts onions above the pan and lets them drop down. I love her.

We take turns making shared meals to save effort. We're quite good friends actually, but his cooking is often an abomination.

Actually eurofag, blue-eyed, white as fuck from a country with virtually zero niggers.
So you can shove your keyboard up your ass sideways and die.

>mam knows family likes spicy food but she never really eats it herself
>adds more heat to meals than recipe calls for without weighing it
>currys, chillis are so hot they blister porcelain and melt cutlery

just a smidge less next time please mam xxx

>complains about how fiancee makes tea
>yet uses teabags himself
let ye without sin...

That vid was almost painful to watch.

>>has one dull blade for all kitchen work, she's scared shitless by any kind of sharp knife
That's the third time I'm reading this ITT. Don't these people realize that its much easier to cut yourself with a dull knife than a properly working sharp one?

Few years ago I went with my then-GF to spend few days at her friend's flat, cause she went on vacation and needed somebody to look after the dog. You could tell her friend never really cooked for herself, as her kitchen was full of useless shit. She had a set of 6 serrated steak knives, but you couldn't find a SINGLE useful sharp kitchen knife there. I ended up cutting shit for our meals with my swiss pocket knife as it was the sharpest thing around...

based grandma. what a good woman

she is, in our little village everyone knows she is the best grandma anyone could ask for

this made me happy. where are you from user? could you share any recipes?

I find it extra sad since good knives aren't even all that expensive. A standard Fibrox chef's knife that basically every restaurant on the planet uses is like $35 brand new.

I've gifted a lot of people with knives, sadly they all tend to not maintain the blades and they wind up dull as shit within a year or two. At least I tried.

how do you maintain blades? I feel like I'm probably one of those guys who uses a dull blade.

Look up some videos on how to use a steel. It maintains the blade between sharpening and keeps things from getting turbo-fucked. If I'm cooking a lot I usually steel my knives once a week or so.

Yeah, because it's bread.

> washes spaghetti

I don’t understand, why would you wash cooked spaghetti?

When I make spaghetti, I dump it from the pot into a colander and shake it a few time, then back into the pot with a tablespoon of margarine and mix it up while hitting it with some ground pepper, then add the spaghetti sauce (Newman’s Own Sockarooni, heated in the microwave) and several shakes of Kraft parmesan cheese.