Tofu

I just bought a block of this, how do I not ruin it?
Last time I tried it, it tasted like styrofoam with the texture of silicone caulk (not prepared by me though).

>buying things you have no idea how to use
throw it in a blender with okra, chili flakes, and kippered herrings.
You will thank me never.

Spicy stir fry.

Top with soy sauce and scallions and go at it cold with an iced tea spoon.

If people didn't do that humanity would die out.

My mom told me to let it soak in sweet soy sauce for a few hours before cooking, to give more taste. I haven't tried this yet though.
You can then use it to replace meat in stir-fry recipes or with beans... I dunno, the possibilities are endless.

People dont eat soy because it tastes good. Only an idiot goes into tofu expecting something delicious.

Just the thought of tofu and fish blended into okra slime made me laugh

Deep fry it.

its best used as an addition to a dish i think.
you want to marinate it in some shit for awhile before use though.

fry on a pan with some oil

mapo tofu

You need to marinate plain tofu or put in into the dish for at least an hour before consumption, giving it time to adopt the taste.

Tofu will taste like whatever you marinate it in but the problem for me is the texture. Even extra firm tofu turns to mush if I try to use it. Pressing helps but it's an annoying pain in the ass when I can just use tempeh instead.

>Even extra firm tofu turns to mush if I try to use it.
I've never had this problem before. Extra firm is quite resilient.

Nigga thats Bulgarian cheese

You mean feta.

Feta isn't slavic

I don't know why people eat it then as it is nutritionally useless for the most part.

Also, smoked tofu tastes alright.

t. my gf is a vegeterian and makes me eat that shit

It's the richest source of plant protein.

You're a fucking idiot.

Neither are bulgarians

high heat
evoo
soy sauce
then put tofu slices on top
easy

>You will thank me never.
>You're a fucking idiot.
No, I believe YOU are the fucking idiot :^)

>Immerse it in Soy sauce during 5 hours
>Fry it during 15 minutes
>Get hamburger bread and put it inside, along Lettuce, Onion and Tomato
>Add some sauce: ketchup, calçot or whatever you want
>eat and enjoy

clearly no one here knows how to us tofu. If you want to pan fry it or use it in a stir fry dish you have to press that shit for like an hour at least to get the moisture out. Then when you slice it fry it, it will actually get crispy and have a good texture. If you don't do this you'll never get a nice crispy texture on it. if it's fried well you can just dip in soy sauce and it will be good, or use in any asian inspired recipe.

>Press it
>Freeze it
>Defrost it
>Press again
>Marinate
>Dredge in flour
Then when you wanna use it Fry in sunflower oil with a drip of seseme oil and add whatever sauce or veg your using
Serve with noodles

>SOY
>

this guy gets it

Squeeze as much moisture out as you can, fry with canola oil, adding way too much taco seasoning while mixing that shit up. And now you have p decent tofu taco "beef"

am I fugged if I didn't press it before freezing?

It's mostly just used as a filler for soups. It absorbs the flavour of everything else around it. Just make a miso soup, tonjiru or maabodoufu with it or something.

As someone who never has eaten Tofu, how does it do with cheese? If you soak a block in a good fondue, would it retain the taste or absorb it? or would it just slide off?

It may absorb flavors but it's not bread.

Not really, just do it next time.

1. cut tofu into cubes
2. freeze said tofu
3. thaw said tofu and toss out the liquid (we want the tofu to soak up flavor
4. marinate tofu in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and chili
5. drain excess marinade (save it tho)
6. toss tofu with some cornstarch
7. stir fry some of your vegetables of choice and season with asian style you prefer (hoisin, teriyaki, red/green curry etc whatever you like). set aside.
8. fry tofu in pan with oil
8. combine your creations. add delicious leftover marinade if it needs more taste and enjoy with rice

t. vegan pro

oh and only buy extra firm tofu. silken tofu is shit. It's jelly like and not good for savory cooking.

Drain that fucker, pat it dry, cube it, pat it dry again.

Drop it in a strong marinade at least overnight. Remove and pat dry again before sauteing or stir'frying. Then throw it in the garbage and buy meat.

What says is pretty good, I do that quite often. Another thing you can try is, instead of marinating+frying you can cook it in boiling water for ~70 seconds and then have it simmer in whatever curry base you want for a couple minutes. Makes for a very soft and nice texture but less flavor.

>le tofu is only a meat substitute meme
Go back to your fast food and alcohol threads.

Last time I ate tofu I got diarrhea

>t. Soyboy

Op here, I came to the conclusion that I abhor soy.
Every soy product I tried has this synthetic, almost chemical aftertaste. Best I can do is try to cover it with spices or alternatively EAT FUCKING ANYTHING ELSE.

Put grated Ginger, shit sauce and green onion on it.

Sirene/Sirenje, like feta it's brine cheese but it isn't necessarily made from goat milk, it can be be whatever milk, the cow one is nice it makes it less dry and more sweet.

And its also pretty cheaper than feta