Foods you grew to like after childhood

What ingredients or dishes do you enjoy now that you used to dislike (besides alcohol)?

For myself: mustard, plain yogurt, sauerkraut (and kimchi), sour cream, salsa, sharp cheeses, onions, bell peppers, zucchini and spinach, among other things.

I used to retch at stuff like ratatouille, paprikash, or reuben sandwiches, but now I love them all. What about you, Veeky Forums?

I really wanted to respond with "my dad's cock" but I dunno. Is it really even remotely funny? god what am I doing with myself, what am I doing here anymore?

I didn't like pesto as a kid but now I do.

My dad loved eating beets in sauce and rye bread (not together). I hate them. Now I love me some marble rye and beets are...okay.

Still despise my fathers memory, though.

off the top of my head
peanut butter, most pickled vegatables, cheeses. prawns & other shell fish. Beets

Never heard of Harvard beets, but I looked it up and it seems awful. I don't blame you. That must've been a mid-century American thing.

Everything bitter, veggies and spicy stuff

When I was VERY young (3-5 yrs old, abouts), I can just remember not liking acorn squash, green olives, and mushrooms. But that was over pretty quick. I can't think of anything else I didn't like. I rem ember thinking my friends at school were weird for not liking broccoli and spinach, though, and being mad at my kindergarten cafeteria because they never had green vegetables besides green beans or peas, and so I strarted a long history of always bringing my lunch (until I got to Jr. High, where I could buy lunch from outside vendors and not just cafeteria food). I also remember my friends making fun of me in grade school because my favorite lunch to bring was tuna sandwich, crunchy vegetables (carrots, celery, snap peas, broccoli, etc) and a V8.

Oh, yeah, and blue cheese when I was very young, too. But I also grew out of that quickly.

Anything that cartoons had convinced me was spicy, notably peppers and mustard.

brussel sprouts. oh, and cum.

Onions, tomatoes, green veggies, cauliflower, spicy food... etc

Shit like squash, zuccini and the like are still garbage tier imo

Peas, broccoli, onion etc.
I also had a short period where I refused to eat fish because all the cool kids at school said fish was bad

I have actually grown more picky as an adult. I used to eat pretty much whatever my parents put in front of me, now I wouldnt say I am picky, I just hate foods that are common in a lot of things. My hatred for disgusting berries has been eternal though, it makes things really difficult sometimes.

what kind of kid doesn't like peas wtf

I didn't like peas. Probably because my parents would only get frozen or canned vegetables, I still can't eats frozen peas on their own.

After I went hungry at uni for a week one time, I'll eat anything now. That's why I believe everyone should be forced to go without food for 1 week on their 18th b-day (even if they have a bone spur). Suddenly, not a single adult picky eater in the US. "Allergy" complaints approach zero as well. Wala!

Sourkraut my dude

Chocolate
I wouldn't say "like", I merely tolerate it now, I use to puke it up when I was little

No, you idiot.

Too many to count or even remember, I was picky as a kid but I pretty much like/love everything except for radishes these days.
Blue cheese might be the biggest one, I wouldn't sit on the table if it was present in the kitchen, hated the smell so much. Now I love it and want it with steak, chicken, fish, steamed/boiled veggies, sandwiches and pizzas whenever it's available. Sometimes even in a salad.

relish, squash, mushrooms

Brussel sprouts. Cut in half, drizzled in cum, bake in the oven for a bit. Noice.

>Mushrooms.
I hated them, thought they tasted worse then what I assumed shit tasted like.
Mum use to collect wild mushrooms and then fry them up during winter. Made the whole house stink.
Then when I was 17ish I was working as a dishpig in a small country bar and restaurant. One night they had a "Gourmet Night" and one of the best local chefs (who use to work there) came in to cook. He made stuffed mushrooms and I thought they were very nice.

>Meat.
I wasn't a veggo or anything, but as a kid I was very picky with my meat. I didn't like roast beef or pork. I didn't like any stake that had any fat on it, either when it was cooked or raw. I didn't like ribs or cutlets or any of that. I don't know why any of that was.
Then at about 16/17 I started drinking. Not like alcoholic drinking, just a few beers or wine at parties and functions. For some reason I could eat most of those things if I was drinking. As I got older, I stopped drinking as much/often as I did, but still kept eating meats that I never use to eat.

soup, salad, baked potatoes.

if you gave me pic related as a kid, i'd choose to starve instead

>mushrooms
probably pretty common, definitely something that requires adult tastebuds to appreciate
probably part of my issue was that my daycare lady when I was real young would give us raw mushrooms and ranch dressing to eat as a snack and it was fucking awful, her kids liked it for some reason
>vinegar
probably another easy one, malt vinegar is one of my go-to dipping sauces now though
>cauliflower
is still bland and terrible but i had a very good mashed cauliflower dish at the beast castle in disney world of all places

all you mushroom haters are quite frankly subhuman

Onions, eggplants, mushrooms (still pretty meh about them except for cream of mushroom), bell peppers, lettuce, tomatoes.

I was a picky child but luckily grew out of it pretty quickly.

Definitely spinach.

The spinach they gave in kindergarden was this frozen shit that tasted like dirt from behind the fridge or worse. I had spinach PTSD for years untill I tried fresh spinach done with olive oil and garlic and I realized how good it could be.

Fuckin' frozen spinach.

Veggies in general. Particularly broccoli.

But frozen > canned.

I don't ever remember not liking anything as a child.

When I was really young, I once made myself so sick from crying at the table over having to eat broccoli that I vomited (I'm blaming this on equal parts being a kid and my mothers terrible cooking (at the time)).

Now I eat broccoli several times a week and love it.

hummus because of this white trash tier hummus my mom put in my sandwiches

well at least you've realized that answering with "my dad's cock" is not only gay as hell, but also lame as hell.

Also I agree, I fuckin hated pesto as a kid and I love it now.

pickles

Cheese

Bell peppers, onions, pretty much any vegetable once I discovered that they're not supposed to be mushy and overcooked.

Hot Sauce, jalapenos, anything spicy.

used to be unable to eat mushrooms but ever since I had some decent mushroom & cream sauce pasta I've grown more and more fond of them ever since

Anything that has vegetables

Not that guy but its really good. Sweet and sour in a way thats like sweet pickles with a beet flavor

>grown to like
Seafood (including sushi/sashimi), vegetables, spicy food, pickles, tea
>still dislike from childhood
Apple juice, rice porridge, pasta
>grown to hate
Bananas

I'd say I'm pretty well-adjusted

I hated brocolli but now love it
I hated peas but now can tolerate them
And I think I didn't like celery but now I can eat it alone

I learned to suck cock as a child.

I used to hate black olives, but I still can't stand the green ones. Also as a kid I used to like steak well done, but I've since joined the rare master race.

On the other hand, I used to love chocolate as a kid but now I can't fucking stand it.

Onions, any type of peppers, mustard, spinach, beans

I was a really picky eater as a kid and have since learned it was caused by a mix of regular childhood stupidity and neglect. My mother couldn't cook for shit and also rarely tried so I lived mainly off of various packaged foods and fast food for most of my childhood. Thankfully once I was buying my own groceries I took the initiative to learn what the fuck I was doing and make everything from scratch to save money/eat better and I've learned how stupid I used to be.

>I've learned how stupid I used to be.
If only my sister was that smart.

She's 26 now and she's probably even more picky than she was before. Things she doens't stand include:
- raw or close to raw onions
- parsely(or really most garnish greens)
- carrots
- black pepper
- tomatoes
- red meat

I could go on. And the thing is, all she's been eating her whole life is fresh ingredients prepared by our parents, grandmother, or me. And still she won't touch certain things. And I'm sure it's a psychological thing because when I make stuff with, for example black pepper, without telling her she almost never complains. Ugh...

Snails
Tripe
Bitter melon
Watermelon

I liked typically everything
I still don't like cheese too much.
I have a memory of taking a bite out of a watermelon and vomitting, but i love that shit now.

I'll eat basically anything as an adult. As a kid I didn't like green peppers, cow tongue, liver, and I really hated how sauerkraut smelled so I never tried it.

I still don't like stuffed green peppers, at least how my parents made them with ground beef and corn and all of that. I remember trying to eat one as a kid and it tasted like literal throwup to me. Something about those flavors really just tastes like shit to me. Several years ago I tried sauerkraut and fucking love it. One of my favorites for hot dogs or brats, sometimes I eat a little on it's own. Haven't had liver so I'm not sure if I'd like it, no one really cooks it, I think a majority of people aren't fans of it.

Onions. Little bratty me used to pick them out of my spaghet individually and wipe them on a napkin like they were boogers.
I wish I could go back in time and jam that kid face first into his dinner because dad's spaghetti was awesome and onions are awesome, damn it.

Sauerkraut and cabbage in general. My turboslav grandmother raised me so that stuff was everywhere and stunk the house up like a wet fart. At some point I guess my own slav genes kicked in and now I can't get enough of that shit.

I also ate a ton of sardines when I was very young then eventually stopped once I was old enough to realize what I was eating and I've only just recently dipped back into the world of deenz, so many wasted years.

The only vegs i would eat as a kid were carrots, peas, green beans, and corn.

Everything I cook these days has some sort of veg in it that doesn't consist of above though i still enjoy them.

Onions
Caraway
Fish
And pretty much all vegetables

Only thing i don't still don't like is the fatty parts of meat & shit in aspic.

my dad's cock lmao

Cauliflower, tomatoes , avocado, pizza, hamburger, olives, bell pepper, etc.

>cauliflower bland
I used to think that until I roasted some coated in olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper until it browned at the edges and it was goat.

I came to love tomatoes after growing them in my garden one summer. Never rode that Tomato Hate train ever again.

Only trash human beings hate the greatest vegetable there is.

This sounds like me. There were very few foods I wouldn't eat, even as a kid. I remember eating at a full caviar service with my parents when I was 4 years old. The only thing that's changed, really, is that I'm pickier about making sure my food is cooked nicely than I was when I was younger. I don't like badly cooked food.

tomatoes literally made our food (and lives) better.

>tomato
>vegetable

I think most adults are fine with most foods.

I can understand how someone new to, for example - sushi - might be scared of it, or something like that. But hating commonplace ingredients like tomatoes or mushrooms is children-tier bullshit. If you are an adult and refuse to eat certain regular foods you are not picky, you are just a pain in the ass.

>Sauerkraut
>sauteed or downright fried vegetables
>squash
>olives and other similiar jarred foods

Really I eat anything now, I have never been a picky eater, but my dad was a lazy ass cook and he was there to cook for me most of the time.
I eat any food now, I just dislike pineapple and sour cream. Although I can stomach them.

brussle sprouts, artichokes, avocado, lots of stuff really

>pizza

Exfuckingscuse me?

I know some people who still just don't eat veggies

>Since the theatrical release of Pixar's "Inside Out", eagle-eyed viewers have noticed a few slight changes in international versions of the film.

In one scene, Riley's dad struggles to feed his daughter broccoli. Like most toddlers, she's flat out disgusted by the vegetable, refusing to eat it.

In Japan's cut for the film; however, broccoli is replaced by bell peppers.

Pixar artist David Lally acknowledged the change on Twitter, claiming peppers are more disliked than broccoli there

fag

wtf how can you not like bell peppers.

I used to hate lasagna and mincemeat because my mom couldn't plate food nicely if she was held at gunpoint and it looked disgusting but when I went to my grandma's place a little over a month ago, it was great and now I even eat my moms mincemeat.

Sour cream, blue cheese, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

From what I hear, Japanese green peppers are more bitter than the ones we get in the west

Undercooked and seasoned mushrooms are awful. Most people don't cook them to Golden perfection. Undercooked mushrooms are disgusting

Fresh pesto is the bomb

beer

Before college, I had no idea what Asian (incl. Indian) food was beyond typical American Chinese shit like fried rice and honey chicken.

My dads cock

This, I hated mushrooms so much growing up but it was only because they weren't cooked enough. If you get the water out they're like meat when it comes to savory flavor

Mushrooms

I used to hate shrimp and seafood in general. Now I love curried shrimp and fresh lobster/crab. I still hate fish though, can't stand the fishy smell. Makes me gag immediately.

beetroot, salmon, tuna, chop-sui, dark chocolate

Broccoli, they're ok and tasty with oil

wine

beer

Pecorino cheese

Cakes with creme filling. Literally made me gag. Still hate them nowadays but at least they dont make me want to puke.

Also any kind of fruit skin would annoy the hell out of me.

Eggs, I didn't like eggs till I was like 22, now I think they're fine.

Broccoli and cabbage. I also still don't like alcohol.

On the reverse I tend to dislike pizza more and more. Mostly because of the tomato sauce I think. I started ordering it with light sauce and it was better and now I'll order it and after a couple pieces I'll just wish I'd gotten some chicken or breadsticks and garlic butter instead.

Mushrooms, because of their taste and how the taste would permeate anything else that they've been cooked with. There was a time when I had perfectly seasoned mushrooms at a restaurant and felt bad about not wanting to eat them because they also had a powerful mushroom taste. Now I'm fine with less flavorful kinds of mushrooms.
I also used to hate kimchi as a kid because the spiciness made me cry once. That same level of spiciness is now normal for me.

This, raw mushrooms are as inoffensive as baked potato. Fried in butter and herbs, in soups and stews underrated.
Dried mushrooms are good source of Vitamin D

Onions
Garlic
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Beans
Fermented/pickled anything
Eggs
Mushrooms