Braising

Who here loves to braise?

>pic related
Its a braised, bone-in short rib dry rubbed with toasted fennel, toasted coriander, toasted star anise, aleppo pepper, and paprika. Topped with a bacon fat infused breadcrumb gremolata and served with rice, SV carrots, and sauteed pea shoots.

Thoughts Veeky Forums?

To add the braising liquid was composed of beef + chicken stock, pears, mirepoix, lemong grass, and garlic.

I then reduced the leftover braised liquid and used it as a sauce.

Sounds pretentious, looks tasty.

Definitely pretentious. Eh, saw a similar braise on some cooking show and decided to play with it. The gremolata added some acid and brightness to the super rich and savory shortrib. Plus it was a textural component that fit well with the tender 4 hour braise

Not convinced the breadcrumbs work here. Look gummy. Even if not gummy, detracts from the star. I am a man of simple tastes though.

It was pretty crispy. Personally I think the bacon smokiness complemented the savory portion of the braise. And the lemon zest and parsley brightened it up

I'm feeling the smoky fat and citrusy vegetal flavors, just not the texture of the breadcrumbs. It still looks very nice to me.

No biggie haha. I just personally like the crunch with the super tender braised beef.

Takeaways though: always toast your spices. It adds so much flavor I swear, and then crush in a pestle, the spice grinders have a tendency to heat up the spices too much

The mis en place is the worst part of this dish, and I say worst because if it had been more thought out it would deserve plating at many a joint in my city, though few would bother with every single ingredient given cost, gsaa.

This is true, first time I bought raw indian spices and toasted them off it blew my mind. Didn't even use the mortar.

I love some good critiques. For the carrots and pea shoots... i ran out so I just made it work (was feeding 6 family members).

But by mis en place, what do you mean?

I made cinnamon buns... roasted the cardamom (part of my cinnamon spice mix)... blew my mind

Fair enough. Great job tho

Spice grinders produce more heat than the pan you intentionally toasted the spices in?

What I meant was since I had toasted the spices already, I didn’t want to heat them up more. Spice grinders sometimes heat the spices way too much.

Also alot of spice grinders have a tendency to have not too consistent grind consistency. Kind if like burr vs blade coffee grinders

>thoughts
I think you will never write menus for a living.

>breadcrumb gremolata
Huh?

>aleppo
?

Toast breadcumbs, add gremolata. Breadcrumb gremolata

Didn't actually know I used the technique until I googled "braising" - guess I'm a noob :-/

Always searing my meat in the pot in small batches before adding other ingredients and some liquid, closing the lid and slow cooking it in the oven when making beef or rabbit stews and other stuff like that. Thought it was just a "right way to do" and not a technique with a specific name...

Anyway, looks good, like the choice of spices for the dry rub.

The breadcrumb gremolada sounds interesting (actually like the idea of crisp-over-tender), BTW lemon zest is an underappreciated ingredient (at least in home cooking where I come from).

braised short rib benedict with a chive gremolata

How do you braise?

hnnnnnnnnnnnng

Basically asian 5 spice with some tweaks. I would’ve used espelette but that shit is hard to find. So instead I used Leppo pepper and paprika

That only looks like breadcrumbs and chopped parsley, though. At the very least, the parsley should look like it was marinated in a gremolata mix for a bit, or something. Is there anchovy and lemon zest in there?

this is what gremolata should look like

Lemon zest, grated garlic, touch of crushed anchovy. I just folded it into the breadcrumbs.

Looks great user. Just did a braised short rib last night. Did a simple red wine, beef broth, and herb short rib over polenta.

Sounds pretty good brah, pics?

Sounds delicious

Yus

your hllandaise looks packaged