What's the best form of barbecue?

What's the best form of barbecue?
Being a North Carolinian, I am of course partial our regional variation.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, care to educate me

Listen dude I'm all for delicious mustard 'cue and the hushpups look good but god damn what an ugly looking plate.

Front: NC barbecue
Back left: hushpuppies
Back right: not quite sure

Huh, is that what hushpuppies are like more North? Further down South, they are approximately sized and shaped like a ping pong ball.

its whole hog chopped pork soaked in a vinegar sauce made with NOTHING MORE THAN

>cider vinegar
>salt
>black pepper
>red pepper flakes
>under no circumstances is any tomato product

Only at long john silvers you Yankee

too plain

North Carolinian barbecue is alright, but the sauces are too sweer.

Me, I prefer hot Texas BBQ that burns your mouth out.

what the

FUCK

does sweer mean

I know you dont mean fucking sweet cause if you mean sweet I will have to come to your house and fuck your shit cause vinegar is not sweet

>What's the best form of barbecue?

The BBQ where you are, with your friends, cooking outdoors like God intended.

How boring.

it's simple but effective

i'm thinking kansas city-style.

tomato-heavy sauce.
cornbread
beans
creamy coleslaw
french fries
pork ribs

my nigga

Nothing like being out in someone's backyard, grilling and smoking bbq while drinking beers with some buddies.

>tfw that special time where it's dark and everyone's full but talking to each other just enjoying each other's company while drinking

It's those times that remind me that life is pretty good.

I like Carolina style cause I like vinegar.

t. Pennsylvanian

>life is pretty good

what absolute spookery

Do not forget the burnt ends.
(also trade the cornbread for some simple toast)

oh thank fuck, OP has good taste. stamey's >>>> literally any other barbeque i've ever had. i prefer the one on battleground ave in GSO over the one on high point road or whatever it's called now

>implying there's just one "carolina style" barbeque

Fuck you, I put all of that plus white vinegar, hot sauce, and sugar in my vinegar sauce, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

It almost looks like cous cous. But that definitely can't be. Hominy?

Hoosier here, I haven't had any of that in 20 years. I used to hate it, but damn do I miss it.

Veeky Forums plz go

When people from outside of the Carolinas say "Carolina style", they usually mean Eastern North Carolina, because it's the best/most popular kind. However, some people mean a South Carolina mustard sauce.

it's chopped coleslaw. stamey's makes a lexington-style red slaw.

the "best" part of your comment is wrong.

Coleslaw, that makes sense. I've not seen it like that but I'm not surprised either.

I am a fan of all barbecue, but I do prefer mustard-based Carolina style, and pork > beef. That plate looks like shit though.

No it's not.

>and pork > beef
Oh definitely. I'd say pork > chicken > beef > turkey.

oh my god dude you're so wrong. lexington/piedmont style barbecue, which is pictured in OP's post, absolutely uses ketchup

it's easier to eat on a bbq sandwich/bun.

braai > bbq

I really like Carolina style mustard based sauces and pulled pork sandwiches are my go to bbq food.

t. Texan

The Piedmont Virgin vs The Eastern Chad

fuck. fuck. fuck. this analogy works. fuck.

Texas dry rub is better than literally any other style of barbecue
t. guy from New Jersey, aka completely objective

what is dry rub pork ribs with a molasses based sauce?

Whats vinegar heavy but also tomato based?

>chopped instead of pulled
How absolutely vile.

Stamey's uses vinegar-based sauce for their barbeque and coleslaw.

That can't possibly be NCBBQ, it isn't covered with a layer of slimy coleslaw to cover up the horrendous taste of the glop.

Who is that Pepe based upon? I rather like that one.

Idk about all the regional variations, but the most important thing for me by far is

SAUCE

BELONGS

ON

THE

SIDE

I want to season the damn meat to my taste and don't want it completely drenched in sugar syrup

Columbia Style Barbecue
Pulled pork with mustard based sauce

>flyovers have tendies for their bbq

Those are hush puppies you dolt.

>North Carolina
>Flyover
You yanks literally move to the Carolinas

Edgar Allan Pepe?

Yes. We can sell a shack in new york for 500k and buy a 200k palace in north carolina. Then open a mediocre bbq restaurant

Stamey's uses a vinegar and ketchup based sauce for their barbeque and coleslaw. They literally call their coleslaw "red slaw" because of the tomato it contains.

Sauce power rankings

1. Vinegar
2. Mustard
3. Mayo
POWER GAP
9001. Tomato/molasses

First dish that I would agree with "slop o' shit" poster.

Oh I know this, it's Famous Dave's style BBQ

Never had Stamey's.

Troutman's BBQ is fucking god-tier though. The best time of year is church BBQ time. I prefer vinegar instead of sweet tomato/ketchup based sauce.

Hot bbq, fresh coleslaw, vinegar, with a side of hushpuppies. Yum yum.

>dat aesthetic

all's good in the hood, as long as it's not all black on the outside

Don’t care about the region, but it must be made by negroes. No whitey bbq.

White ppl bbq, black people fish fry.

completely true desu

I'm thinking Max Stirner

If I want to insult and irritate an alabaman over BBQ what would you say?

The best bbq comes from a family get together when a chef pays attention to only like 5-6 butts

Eastern style is vinegar only, but western North Carolina is sweeter

Just contend that grilling and barbecue are the synonymous. May God have mercy on you.

>Australian
>love BBQ
>ultimate dream is to invent BBQ dish that becomes recognised as an Australian classic
Anyone else have similar aspirations? I don't even know what I want it to be, so I'm just practicing cooking other traditional things.

Actually Lexingtonian here. Ama

Real barbecue always seemed like something that would take of in Oz. I'd specialize in mutton barbecue, and find a rub and/ or sauce that suits Aussie tastes. So far, Kentucky is the only state that really specializes in it, and we're not one of the top barbecue capitals.

lol this guy. everytime someone mentions australia there's this one guy who pretends to be interested but really just wants to turn the conversation towards america.

autobsessed

Yeah I bet you would be paying attention to a few butts at your family get together, eh, Cletus?

Nobody cares
Actual Columbian here AMA

If this was a thread about drug violence or human trafficking, I would ask you anything. But this is about bbq. Stay in your lane.

this is a thread for barbecue. when we want trafficking advice we'll ask.

>Do not forget the burnt ends.

those should be fucking cheap, but they're not

Columbian not Colombian, as in South Carolina

>Americans eat fairy cakes with their dinner

What the fuck is a fairy cake, you colossal faggot? Are you talking about corn muffins?

My point literally still stands. Sc sucks donkey dick.

I fucking keked.

Columbia is shite!

I drink beers and bbq in my neighbors yard and try to fuck his animals but he gets super pissed off and threatens to shoot me but na na jokes on him i did cummies in his bbq grill

>being this retarded
I hate niggers as much as the next guy but it's a historical fact that they invented southern bbq. Started when slaves got the unwanted shitty cuts of meat that the big house threw out and they figured out how to slow cook that shit until it was like eating gods pussy out. Fucking sperg

>they invented southern bbq.

Fucking ingorant white shit. No native Africans barbecued. What you call "BBQ" are all recipes that are slight variations of Cuban, Haitian, jamaican, and Dominican cuisines.

Fucking niggers steal everything and now they want to steal our history and culture too.

Have you even seen black panther yet? Where do you think cubans and haitians got the idea from? They stole it from the mighty black pharaoh kings who ruled egypt and colonized mars and saturn while white bois were still trying to figure out how to chisel pictures on stones.

Blacks invented everything senpai. If you try to argue, you're a RACIST!

ironically true. Blacks invented being human. WE literally waz kangz

No, you mong. Everywhere but in your retarded area.

Apes invented black people

I too am partial to my local barbecue. It's Santa Maria Style barbecue. Tri-tip was literally invented here. The meat is usually aged, then you put salt, pepper, and garlic salt on it, and cook it over an open red oak flame. It's served with a mild salsa (no sauce, even on ribs), garlic bread, and pinquito beans. The restaurants that serve it also serve crackers, butter, and salsa as an appetizer, as well as a relish tray with vegetables. It's so fucking good, and doesn't just taste like sugar, like most barbecue.

This doesn't look very filling. I would need at least 5 pieces of butter bread to go with this meal

No that’s West Virginia

That doesn't even make sense user

Austin TX brisket

I'm from the 'boro. Was growing up in Lexington as boring as I assume?

overrated. la barbeque is better.

I don't think it's overrated, it's the best. That being said, la barbecue is nearly as good with a lot less wait time. So I'd say wait in line for Franklin once in a while to experience the best, but go to la barbecue if you're just hungry for something good

Basically. We had a theater, that was kinda nice. In general if we wanted to do anything though we'd drive to Winston or Greensboro. Sometimes Salisbury. I will admit though, Lexington does have some damned good food. Shame nothings open passed 9 except for Applebees.

Also, I went to UNCG.

I'm a UNCG grad myself. I heard Yum-Yums got hit by a car last year.

Ha. They did. Speaking of that area, I always thought Old Town Draught never got the acclaim it deserved. I'm in Raleigh now though. I don't go back very much.

One of my old friends used to be head cook at Old Town. If you went any time between 2005-2013, it's quite possible Rob cooked your meal. Good call getting out, I hear Raleigh and Durham are great these days. I'm in NYC now, I don't regret leaving. Also, nice trips.

>Church BBQ

Aww yeah I love that time of year.
Troutmans is good too. A lot of places usually have both a vinegar and tomato sauce and I mix the two. Need the vinegar tang with a little sweetness added.

the fuck you doing outside of Veeky Forums dude

>Kentucky
Yep, it's not all it's cracked up to be. This state is lacking so far behind in everything possible that our barbecue can hardly make up for a single thing. We're more of a breakfast state, like, tiny, locally owned diners. Sometimes they're barbecue.
Honestly, the people here are on average fat, inbred, retarded drunks and fuckheads bent on the "YOLO" mindset of destroying this world bit by bit, stuck in the lagging past. Everything that was once good about this place has been killed off by religion and migrants who want a better place to live than the last place they destroyed.

It's still MY fucking home state though. You do what you can I guess.