Gvmt food boxes

What does Veeky Forums think of this? Proposed plan to replace food stamps and handouts with regulated government issued food boxes for people on low incomes. Personally I think this is a bold move that would work extremely well. Poor people just spend their stamps on shitty food, this would help them a lot more. Good to see someone willing to take up the task of fixing such a big problem facing our inner cities and "urban" areas.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>what is the catalog
>thinking you can try and control people like that and it will work out
>not realizing contractors will take horrible advantage of this

It's been done in the U.S. before, and it was awful. If the quality of food is gonna be on par with the average food you'd find at your regular grocery store, this proposal will have my full support. If it's as shit as it was the previous time, it's gonna be a waste of money for garbage that no one will appreciate.

democrat? you sound unreasonably bitter and cynical about this for no grounded reason

In theory it could work but it will never pass. You can't give people "whole" food and just expect that everyone knows how to cook with staples or expect that everyone has a working oven, etc. Cooking classes or internet videos would also need to be a part of this program. Personally, I think they should just remove the fast food option from the SNAP program and not allow soda or candy to be purchased with SNAP either. If people want fast food, soda, or candy they should pay for that themselves. Just remove those things and leave SNAP program as is.

The poor should be afforded at least the small dignity of picking out their own food with their food stamps. I know the MAGApedes on Veeky Forums hate the poor so most will disagree.

why? they had their chance and proved they can't be responsible

Doesn't mean you have to let them starve.

> The poor deserve
No one deserves anything faggot. If you live off the tax payer buck you will live how the tax payer votes. Welfare recipients should not be allowed to vote. Reason is the only logic behind welfare is feelings and emotions for the poor and dumb ass poor people screaming gibs me dat.

I think the #1 item that EBT is spent on is soda. A lot of people need it to survive or whatever but the system is prone to abuse, especially since convenience stores and take-out counters all take it as payment.

I knew kids in college who applied for EBT/SNAP and got it while they were students. Kids with rich parents, too - all that money got spent at Whole Foods on expensive seafood.

they won't, they just won't be buying Mt Dew and mc chickens on government money

Because they're still human beings and should have the freedom to choose instead of getting a box of powdered milk and Vienna sausages that will go to waste anyway.

ahh yes, nobody is poor if they know someone with money

They have the choice to get their shit together or eat food supplied by the government.

Or both. The welfare programs shouldn't be a means to an end for most peopld

And they say if you don't learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it

this will be given to the highest bidder and a lot of money will be emblezzled and shaved all the way down

kys

They will obviously spin this as a racist idea, somehow

Luckily it's just a proposal and nothing will likely come from it, but it just goes to show the administration's contempt for the poor.

>picking out their own food
And with food desserts, that ends up being Cheetos, soda, and prebaked snacks.

The Obama administration rule to have stores carry healthy foods to keep getting food stamps was the way to go

republican? you seem automatically objective to any criticism of a newly proposed plan by our GLORIOUS LEADER

Haven't read the thread yet but I predict a bunch of partisan loudmouths attacking the idea of literally feeding the poor.

lol seems about right for some

This. People forget that trump is only proposing something that had happened and failed. Much like isolationism.

Yeah, you're a card-carrying tribal dumbass if you immediately gravitated to thinking about Trump and how you could stick it to him on this. I'm not defending the guy or saying he's good, so can you please pull your head out of your ass and quit shit talking food going to the hungry without providing a good reason why? If it's a logistics problem then that makes sense to bring up, but if you can get behind the basic notion of delivering food to people who can't afford it, then you've completely missed the point of government in favor of throwing your favorite little tantrum about people you enjoy hating.

This exactly.

It shows their contempt for excess spending. They need to trim the fat on the SNAP program and this isn't a vendetta against the poor. Citizens pay for this and everybody is fucking broke except for the top earners in America. People can hardly afford to take care of their without assistance own as is.

What a stretch lmao.

African Americans who use food stamps will be in an uproar. You can't go down to the local gas station and sell food boxes, but you sure as hell can go and swipe your ebt card and have the indian give you 50% of what it's worth.

How does this show contempt for the poor at all, is it just because somebody will be paid to make this food? You think a democrat would have personally cooked for everyone in his little kitchen? Where do you think labor comes from?

I work at a job where I watch fresh off the boat immigrants pull themselves up from literally nothing to owning a house. Unless you're disabled, there are plenty of manufacturing jobs all over the US. Seriously theyre desparate.

This.

>somebody will be paid to make food
You just proved you have no idea what your talking about.

>lmao
Thanks facebook poster!

This is probably the only logical solution. People on welfare are too stupid to figure out basic shit. Poverty is a basic education issue. The concept of rationing your money is lost to some people. My sister is a perfect example. Full time job but is burrying herself in debt and lives pay check to paycheck buying dumb shit.

Gotta keep up with the joneses my friend.

Food boxes? You mean the thing that's handed out from the back of military trucks to victims of earthquakes, floods and civil wars? Way to go, 'Murica!

This. People don't want to admit the hard truth but it's really not that hard to move up the ladder in this country. Middle class is so fucking easy it's laughable.

That doesn't solve the problem of food deserts though, which is why is the correct answer along with your suggestion.

There also needs to be some kind of education component as well. They should set up some kind of online food/health education that has to be done to maintain eligibility.

Want to know the real reason why this is a weird and ineffective idea?
[spoiler]EBT is low-key not really just for food and what it takes to live, people takenit and spend it on a bunch of other stuff alongside food they can afford. The American poor aren't all that hungry

Government is shit and inefficient at everything. Simply giving out money to buy things is always the least disruptive option. Government physically giving out food will end up costing $50K a year per person some fucking how. Similarly, a private school system with government assistance for poor kids would be much better and cheaper than we have now.

Soda sweets and fast food being removed from SNAP is the best solution.

What's with the autists pretending it's only 'the 1%' out there and everyone else is poor? That's so not true, there's fucking tons of money in circulation out there. I'm literally middle class, and so is everyone I work with, and most of the people where I live. I know the poor exist, but there's just money out there than people can get. People change class all the time is this country, if you're working hard and not getting enough that's one thing, but a lot of people complaining are just unemployed and perfectly supported, or well off enough and complaining on the behalf of others. Can we get an actual poor person in here who knows what they're talking about?

>just give more millions to corporate fucklords like sodexo you stupid goys! the nigs are spending them food stamps on crack so this is the only solution!
dumb shill

This actually. Which is nice because a lot of people are privately and personally helping the poor in their community.

>instead of junk food, we'll pick the foods
>Peanut butter, govt cheese, dried beans, and canned veg (likely corn)
How fucking healthy

well, you're talking about america, where ketchup is considered a vegetable
what did you expect?

Government can do some things efficiently but they're fucking insane if they think they can do basic food staples delivered to people's houses while saving money compared to just giving them fucking EBT. Just fucking limit it to peanut butter and eggs if they're that desperate to cut out soda and chips

>he thinks class is dictated by income
lmao if you're born working class you will die working class even if you become a billionaire

Exactly. This plan is a great idea from what I've seen so far. However, supporters should be open to criticism. Additionally, take a little humor k?

well, I don't see you trying to give a better deal to your corporate cronies
he's doing his best y'know

How soon before people start pretending they care if poor people get their cigarettes?

People will just complain that the food boxes "aren't enough" or try to bullshit an excuse as to why they can't eat certain foods even they aren't allergic

Lol, now that's funny.

>The poor should be afforded at least the small dignity of picking out their own food with their food stamps
They already do this and what they buy is sugary drinks, junk food, frozen dinners, and candy. Only time they can't pick out their own food is with something like WIC which is meant for infants/toddlers to ensure they get a balanced nutrition growing up, and even then that has a lot of flex because you can still pick out the brand and flavors of shelf items on the WIC.

>>thinking you can try and control people like that and it will work out

How is this control? Its not even your money in the first place. You shouldn't get to decide how you spend money that isn't yours.

>The welfare programs shouldn't be a means to an end for most people
The welfare programs are a means to an end for most people

>Giving welfare queens boxes of organized food with recipe plans instead of a prepaid credit card
>"FCUKING DRUMPF HATES DA PO' PEEPOLE"

The problem is that most Americans don't want to work in anything other than cushy yuppy office jobs while going to college on their parents' money to earn a useless non-trade non-skilled degree. They look at how labor jobs like carpentry or even fast food work have been depicted poorly in entertainment and the media and they decide to just bitch and moan that they can't get the easy life they believed was promised to them while those jobs are just sitting there waiting to be taken.

biggest problems will be

>suppliers being greedy and taking advantage of gubmement money
>people needing to be taught how to cook, most schools don't even teach basics and even if they do people forget that shit quickly once they leave school.

Trump proposed it so I'll tell you exactly what will happen

>starts off good on paper
>media latches on to a story about a 300 pound nigga who couldn't get the six trillion calories need to maintain her weight from the box
>another nigga is unable to open the cardboard box and dies of starvation (will be called a child, will actually be 35)
>subsidized farmers who fill the box will demand some cost cuts, resulting in the solid mix of food inside being reduced to an ear of corn
>democrat stooge for the next presidential election gets on stage; calls these boxes the "Obamacare of food"
>promises a return to food stamps if elected
>niggas love being able to spend their government gibz on alcoholic and barbecque Lays so they vote for him en masse

This, and also this contempt for basic work often leads to terrible work environments where everyone is doing just fine but for some reason they all choose to mope around the job telling eachother stories about how awful and offensive their life is. Of course there's also a lot of positive, productive work environments where one or a few stable people who know how life works elevate the personality of the workforce, and everybody gets along and enjoys their job because being a willfully unhappy layabout is discouraged.

>he a good presiden' he dindu nuffin'!
go back to twitter donald

Don't forget that everyone will start pretending they care if poor people get their cigarettes, and talking about them like a human right.

I'm literally correct.

you're talking about shit that hasn't happened yet, so there is no way you could be literally correct
but I guess it's time for dumb infographics anyway

>time for all these facts that blister my ass

you are a moron

>people needing to be taught how to cook

I know the demographic we're talking about here, but how hard is it to chop some vegetables, throw them into a pan with a little butter and stir?

Are you kidding? You're already protesting the idea just because it came from Trump. You skipped every part of his post just to say he's stupid for daring not to attack Trump.

Why do you faggots always have the worst sourcing? It always scream incompetence.

>thinking you can try and control people like that and it will work out
i know, feeding the poor directly with fresh food, such an evil fascist thing
the only thing wrong with this plan is that it would be hard as hell to deliver all that food, and i dont trust the government
ebt cards are just easier despite them being abusable and a main cause for why so many americans are disgustingly fat

not as fat as you, filthy eurofaggot

Why not just limit what you can use these cards for? And give discount on healthy food?

Looks good on paper as a new corporate welfare subsidy to big agri, but the logistics will cost enormously more than the current system for far less food. Now, the republicucks won't mind that extra spending since their current budget deficit far exceeds anything in the recent past, but in addition, the food will be old, partially rotten, shit quality unmarketable produce.

I am an actual poor person who knows what I'm talking about. Or rather, a previously poor person.

I was born and raised by a working single mother on food stamps. She was raised the same way by her mother. It was a classic case of generations of a family being stuck in poverty. We were all obese or morbidly obese as well. Nobody in my family knew anything at all about nutrition. As a child it was an endless buffet of sugary cereal, snack cakes, candy, frozen dinners, soda, etc. I don't remember having any real food growing up. During my teen years I learned that we had also been selling some of our foodstamps to help pay the bills, or occasionally buy cigarettes and such. My mom had the opportunity to get slightly better jobs over the years, but didn't because they would have cut our welfare handouts by more than what the increase in her income would have been, leaving us worse off than before.

I didn't want to live my life as a welfare bum, so I made it a point to work my way out of poverty as quickly as possible. At age 21, I had a job making $19,000/year and decided that was enough for me to get by on, called the welfare office and told them to remove me from all accounts. I'm 23 now and make $30,000 a year, decided to learn about nutrition and have been losing weight for a year now. I weigh less than I did in elementary school.

The foodstamp system is definitely flawed, but its fixable. Government food boxes would not be the way to go. Their contents would be similar to food bank shit: powdered milk, cans of beans, carrots, and mystery meat, and a big ol' block of government "cheese". Granted, it would make people much more eager to get off of welfare, but there would be millions of malnourished children.

Because people flip their cards for fifty cents on the dollar to buy booze and expensive luxuries and shit and then send their kids to school to get fed

You can't get cooked food via SNAP unless you're you're elderly

Just because it's been tried once doesn't mean we can't attempt it again. You learn from past mistakes

I think it could be a good idea...

If it cuts fraud, waste and abuse,

If it promotes proper portion control among the obese SNAP recipients

and if it promotes healthier eating than a cart full of high fructose corn syrup and refined grains...

it could be to the positive.

Because they choose to make it so.

I'm poor, I work 12 hour days, and I'm not on food stamps. Fuck you if you are. Absolute scum.

It would only work if local governments decided what items went in the boxes.

Good post. Happy for you user.

I like this idea but chances are big food corps are just going to pay to have their garbage food included so they profit

>I was born and raised by a working single mother on food stamps. She was raised the same way by her mother.
lets listen to the words of this genetic winner, everyone

>If it cuts fraud, waste and abuse

just look at the privatized prison system to know that the exact opposite will occur. all this talk about government staying the fuck out of people's lives, but only when it isn't the middle and ruling class who aren't getting fucked with. a decision like this isn't even done for legitimate reasons, it's just so the right wingers can thumb their noses at the abjectly poor and assume another level of control on them just to satisfy their kicks.

He's got as much or more drive than you, obviously.

>using federal penitentiaries to argue the government should dip their fingers into more industry

They turned their life around supposedly. Why shit on them for recognizing a problem in their family and trying to break free from it

>reading comprehension
Go back to middleschool

>this is what welfare peons actually believe

Cont.

Removing unhealthy options such as soda, snack cakes, candy, ice cream, etc. would definitely be a good first step, but there would be riots in the streets from all the fatties who can't get their mtn dew and little debbies anymore. Restaurants and fast food places shouldn't be options on EBT either, in my state they're not. I didn't know there were places that let you use foodstamps at mcdonald's. The point of welfare isn't for poor people to have luxuries. It's for them to be able to survive.

At age 18 I worked a part time making $7.30/hour. I grossed $5,000 that year. I also got $180/month in foodstamps, and struggled to make it last all month because I blew it all on soda and snacks. At age 21, I got a job making $19,000 a year and told the welfare office to shut me off. I spent almost all of my money on shitty food. I'm now 23, got promoted and make $30,000/year. I also decided to learn about nutrition and get in shape. I now only spend ~$100/month on groceries and end up throwing some away. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get some student loans and go to college, or look for an even better paying job. By rich people standards, I'm still a poorfag. By poor people standards, I make a bunch of money.

Being on a cushy welfare program makes you complacent and just accept being poor. It also makes you afraid to try to better your situation. It's a feeling of security you don't have even with a decent job. I could get fired at any moment and lose everything I've worked so hard for. Welfare bums don't have to worry about that. Maintaining their current life is pretty much a guarantee.

In illinois when I did use link, I could only use it for unprepared food, no 'hot food'. I was surprised a few years ago you could now use it on slushies at a gas station, it used to be no fountain sodas.

>calling prisons "privatized" when they are actually subsidized

Oh lmao okay so you're just offended that you've made yourself useful using your hands, huh? Anyhing less than never working again is a total insult to your class and character, huh? Fuck off, man. Do you seriously think you're going to get anywhere arguing that you shouldn't have to work?

Lots of angry EBT poor trash in here.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison

If it will help get sheboons with two baskets out of the express lane, I'm all for it.