Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

What do you think about frozen and/or canned veggies?

Do you bother buying them at all?

How do prefer to heat and eat?

I dont mind using frozen veggies weekdays for quick plate fillers and just pop them in the microwave, and usually just season with garlic and pepper.

Anyone else have any tips to improve the ubiquitous frozen veggie?

>ubiquitous
what does that word mean! I only buy frozen peas and soy beans and i heat them in boiling water for just enough time until they're unfrozen. dick

Thanks for your enlightening contribution.

Frozen and canned have their place. Snap frozen veg is great especially out of season. It can be used however you like, steamed, boiled, stirfry etc.

Canned also has its place but less preferred. Tomato products are the main exception. I always stock at least 10 cans of crushed and whole tomatos plus tomato paste (thickened tomato puree).

I buy canned tomatoes and beans. Don't buy frozen anything.

Canned, absolutely no, BPAs and and all that scare me too much. Frozen, yeah they have their place, however for some reason most vegetables here are cheaper fresh so I take those instead. Do not heat up frozen vegs in microwave as they lose most of their nutritions there. Steaming is the best way to heat them up.

I regularly buy frozen vegetables because I live alone and can't go through fresh vegetables before they go bad, and I like variety.
I never buy canned vegetables because they always taste excessively soggy (and salty unless you get the no salt added kind).

>Do not heat up frozen vegs in microwave as they lose most of their nutritions there.

I wasn't sure how much of an old wives tale this is our if it is true. I guess i might start stove top heating more than.

Frozen veggies are also so cheap when they go on sale for like buy 2 for a $1, so I get all sorts of mixes and brussel sprouts.

Most things I'll buy fresh all year round are head of broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce and sometimes a dark leafy green either kale, collard greens or bok choy. I'd like fresh tomatoes but they're really crappy in winter out of season.

Jesus christ how cheap the veggies are where you live, in Scandinavia, veggies are really expensive, hell pork is almost cheaper. But yeah, when they do go on sale, frozen veggies are the way to go then, almost the same nutrition as fresh ones and only takes a few minutes of steaming to get them rolling.

Frozen peas have been shown to have no real difference between it and fresh peas.

>I live alone and can't go through fresh vegetables before they go bad
This may be a crazy idea but why don't you just buy less vegetables

Everything is expensive in Scandinavia. And given how short a growing season you guys have that far north I'm sure vegetables are at quite a premium. I live in the Northeast US, and in season (June-September) $20 buys me all the fresh local produce I can eat in a week. Out of season it varies depending on where I shop. At a precious upscale supermarket vegetables can be expensive. At a Chinatown or Arab market with high turnover they're still pretty cheap, even out of season.

I have peas, spinnach and kale in my freezer. Haven't bothered with other things

Ubiquitous means it's everywhere, omnipresent.
.t ESL

I buy canned tomatoes and beans, frozen peas (because it's impossible to find them fresh here) and fresh everything else

>fresh>frozen>canned>freeze dried>baby food

Complete and utter bullshit, "microwaves destroy nutrition" is an old wivestale spread because they figured something that cooked so fast had to be bad for you.

Microwaves work because the specific frequency of the radio waves (microwaves operate within radio frequency levels) interact with liquid molecules well and transfer heat. Miccrowaves arent the proper frequency to cause dna damage that causes cancers, it literally just adds heat energy. Dont spew bullshit because your an idiot

Frozen are usually more nutritious than fresh, because they haven't had time to age and decay on the shelf like fresh do.

Depends on whether you're getting fresh from a local farm in season or from the supermarket shipped in from far away. Taste is actually a pretty good guide. If your vegetables have a lot of flavor they're probably very nutritious. If they're watery and bland, not so much.

Really? I was under the impression that steaming is the best way to retain as much nutrition as possible. I am legit curious on this matter. My acne was always worse when I microwaved my food, which is why I stopped. But it could be something else. Anyways, frozen peas and spinach are the best frozen veggies as they literally cost like 1.5 dollars for kg, even here in Scandinavia these two are incredible cheap.

I buy a decent amount of frozen vegetables - mostly peas, corn, green beans, and broccoli. Usually just for a quick side if I'm being lazy or don't have anything fresh on hand.

I buy canned tomatoes and beans for sauces/soups/curries.

>SOY
>O
>Y

If I had a microwave I would purchase frozen veg. I find that frozen veg turns to mush when cooked.
Frozen might be okay in a soup or casserole that needs extra moisture.

>frozen broccoli
I have never had any luck with that, even simply defrosting seems to turn into mush

Steaming is literally what is happening when you microwave something, idiot.

i prefer frozen veggies because the veggies at the supermarket are fucking huge.

i just want those teeni tiny carrots and peas that you can just pop into your mouth

No it's not

Have you tried using a knife?

frozen peas are the bees knees.

Yeah, it never comes out that good. I just keep some on hand because it is healthy and I consider the sogginess to be penance for my laziness.

Frozen veggies are decent in a sauté pan with meat and spices, add rice and you’re good to go.