Knife recommendations?

Knife recommendations?

Would like to get something not too expensive but long lasting and good quality

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0110EKTUU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0110EKTUU&pd_rd_wg=jzaXS&pd_rd_r=7ABP54VWE0167B1G3M1Q&pd_rd_w=eTNlm
amazon.com/Messermeister-Made-Germany-Meridian-Elite-Chefs-2-Piece/dp/B000MF2Y48/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1518744730&sr=8-13&keywords=messermeister
korin.com/Knives/Swedish-Carbon-Steel_2
secretsofsushi.com/sushi-and-sashimi-knives
japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kagayaki-basic-es-series/products/jck-original-kagayaki-basic-series-gyuto-180mm-to-270mm-4-sizes?variant=29158784643
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>forded over 1000 times meme knives because Japan doesn't have good iron ore
This hasn't been a thing in decades.
The only people still folding are dong it for aesthetics 99% of the time.

How do i get something similar like this

amazon.com/dp/B0110EKTUU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0110EKTUU&pd_rd_wg=jzaXS&pd_rd_r=7ABP54VWE0167B1G3M1Q&pd_rd_w=eTNlm

but in Europe and cheaper?

Personally I'd start with a wusthof classic knife, they're a tad pricey but good quality.

Just get any knife with a handle you find to be comfortable, and buy one of these.

I have one of these.
And a cheap IKEA knife. Sucks balls to have to sharpen it every month.

Do you think pic related is any good? Whole set i could get for 20euros

looks like you could snap those blades with your hands.

Don't see why not. As you say you just have to sharpen a lot. Anyone saying that a knife of ten times the price, with an equally comfortable handle and equally sharp edge, is either memeing or has been consumercucked.

Anyone saying it's better to have*
w/e, you know what I meant.

Get a Mac, you can get one of this for like $100. It will last you forever and it keeps its edge.

>porcelain knives

Mac and Global are probably the best mid ranged knives widely available.

Mac are durable, I like how light Globals are but they are a little more sensitive

Are Ikea 365+ knives worth it ? I've read pretty good things about them.

And which whetstone should I get to maintain it ? I'm thinking of a reversible 1000/4000 grit stone, which should make a knife sharp enough for everyday use.

I have the 8" Chef IKEA 365+, it's alright and doesn't require constant sharpening. Its a little too square and hurts if you using with a pinch grip

You plebs make me sick
>Wusthoff
>Mac
>Ikea garbage
>Global (what is it the 90s?)
I'm surprise no one mentioned Shun.

Lowest Quality knife to get is a Messermesiter like this:
>Meridian-Elite (I've had mine for almost 10 years now)
amazon.com/Messermeister-Made-Germany-Meridian-Elite-Chefs-2-Piece/dp/B000MF2Y48/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1518744730&sr=8-13&keywords=messermeister

Top Tier:
>Misono Swedish Carbon Steel
korin.com/Knives/Swedish-Carbon-Steel_2
Take a flight to NYC, go to Korin Trading Co., have some old jap fuck in wooden sandals put a fresh edge on your new blade. Learn how to use whetstones too, you fucking pathetic knifelets.

I'd pick my Shun VG10 steel over 1.4116 ANY day of the week.

>comparing stainless-steel to carbon-steel

You like the patterning? Just search for damascus knife on image search for your own country and look around. Yaxell YO-U Gyuto has a similar style and is widely available.

Or you could buy some Chinesium off aliexpress, Xinzuo Yu looks similar.

I don't see the problem.

They're completely different. Carbon steel is very soft and requires a lot of maintenance but can become MUCH sharper than stainless. Stainless is hard and durable and stays sharp longer, but can never be as sharp as a carbon, not anywhere close. All the best fish knives are carbon. Sushi chefs use carbon for this reason.
secretsofsushi.com/sushi-and-sashimi-knives
Both steels have their purpose.

i bought a shun kaji on sale for $150 - no regrets so far.
as a bonus, shuns come with free life time sharpening and a decent warranty
granted, I know i paid mostly for the aesthetic and luxury factor but to be fair ti is a very sharp fucking knife

you will 90% of the kitchen tasks with a single all-purpose knife (Whether that's a chef's knife or a santoku, etc.) so there's no shame in splurging if you can bear it.

shoot for $40+

all that matters is it's at least 7"+ and it fits your hand well with a pinch grip

what is the most professional knife though?

misono
>t. worked in NYC kitchens for years

The only good answer in the entire thread.

>2018
>dat massive full bolster

The UX10 line? Where did you get them? Korin Trading?

>inexpensive
>long lasting
>good quality
Join the cult of vintage Sabatier
>4 Star or kill yourself

Victorinox Fibrox 8''

About $50 (or used to be)
Comes out of the box like a razorblade
holds an edge
AMAZING ergonomics -- can chop for a long time
Perfect blade flex/thickness for all-purpose use

Yes, it's the meme knife of 2010, but it's still a champ.

>Carbon steel is very soft and requires a lot of maintenance but can become MUCH sharper than stainless. Stainless is hard and durable and stays sharp longer, but can never be as sharp as a carbon, not anywhere close
I dont think I have ever read more bullshit packed into just two sentences. It is painfully obvious you have no clue what you are talking about .

Carbon steel is softer. Wow. This fucking entire board is filled with useless cunts. It's like talking to what happened in my toilet last night.

Seriously. His so fucking wrong I think my head exploded. It's like he spent a full three days plotting how to fuck up a single post.

He'd give a metallurgist a goddamned aneurysm in just a couple minutes or less.

With the same grit as the one in your pic, or a different? Haven't really learned to sharpen knives yet.

those are finishing stones, so no.

1000/6000 is a good starting combo.

Thanks. Really appreciate it.

japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kagayaki-basic-es-series/products/jck-original-kagayaki-basic-series-gyuto-180mm-to-270mm-4-sizes?variant=29158784643

I've heard that these knives were good

Is it better to get the regular or the extra sharp versions?

I have one of those knives, the 210mm gyuto (and I think I was the one to recommend them on here). The basic version is perfectly OK and will most likely be sharper than anything you have ever worked with before. The extra sharp versions are just ground at a more acute angle. You can always change the grind later if you feel yours is not sharp enough.

JA Henckels Twin Signature chef's knife. Great entry level knife, and usually great prices on amazon. You'll likely be better off money-wise getting one of the sets on sale.

Not that guy, but I started with a 2500/5000. I'm using a 1000/6000 now that I like a lot better.

Knife

I had that knife. Out of all the knives in my 60+ chef's knife collection it was one of the first that I sold. Blade is pretty thick and very rigid, handle is uncomfortable and it offers no knuckle clearance on the cutting board.

Not that guy, but I've heard that misconception a lot, especially with yanagi. Hard = sharpens faster throws people off I think.

What do you guys use to sharpen knives with

Pic related

i asked or a good chef knife for xmas and i got 3 chinese steel ones that were all dull when opened

why do people hate sharpening so much? It takes half an hour tops.

did i get memed?

I have the messermeister four seasons 8" and it's not too for the price, only real complaint is that the blade is pretty thick.
Looking to get myself a santoku soon, either 6" or 7".

what's the deal with the round handles? Are they comfortable and are they as stable as a molded grip?

I use this bad boy at work every day it can’t get as sharp as carbon but it isn’t fragile either so I hold my own. Vitorinox also make a decent if but overpriced pairing and filet knife that are just as good.

The harder the steel the harder it is to sharpen, but it holds an edge longer. Iirc.

Classic weeb handles. Even weeb chefs don't use them anymore though unless they are trying to look extra traditional though (and on the huge knives to fillet tuna).

It's a form over function choice, so if you get a rust fast knive with scale still on the side you should get a weeb handle to make it complete.

if i sharpen my $35 victorinox with a $6 knife sharpener, do i damage its longevity? is there a better way to sharpen my knives at home

Yes, it will fuck up the edge. All pull through sharpeners suck. If you don't want to get the skills to use a stone, get a Lansky 4 rod for 15$. It's probably the cheapest decent system.

Almost all consumer electric sharpeners suck as well. Maybe that Shun wet stone sharpener excluded, inconvenient monstrosity though, I'd rather just have a normal wet stone grinder or low RPM belt grinder at that point.

redpill me on santoku vs conventional chef knife

Santoku is for Rachael Ray watching housewives. Conventional knives are used by everybody else.

Kiwi

santokus are great for onions and cramped spaces, but little else.

Almost anything reasonably sharp can onion.

But really, even a $35 vicky can be a godly knife after learning to use a stone. Just do it.

>tfw everything went wrong and you can't onion that day in particular

>that feeling when you can still shallot

santokus are good for that because you need little force when you make the first lengthwise incisions for dicing because of the short blade, but the blade is still wide enough to give you proper knuckle clearance and surface area for scooping up the dice.

>>Carbon steel is very soft

What do you lads think of ZELITE knives i got one of there £60 chef knives. Got a wheat stone too but been practicing on the old ikea crap. What corisity should i have, mines rather low.

>corisity
What on earth is "corisity"? Do you mean the grit of your whetstone? 400-600 for putting on a new bevel, 1000-1500 for the final edge and touching up. More only really makes sense for non-stainless steel.

Well the one i have is 400 and 1000. So for my non blunt ones should i pick up a higher grit one? To like hone it

1000 is fine, as long as you make sure you have hit the apex while sharpening and have properly deburred the edge after sharpening. Press and old wool sock against the edge from the side and rag it along the edge, on both sides. If you hear and/or feel something catching the wool you havent deburred properly and your edge will be shit, no matter how long you sharpen.

For deburring you put the edge on the stone at a very slightly higher anglee than the one you sharpened at and drag the edge LENGTHWISE over the stone, with very little pressure, repeatedly, on both sides. At the end pull the edge through a cork or some pice of soft wood. If it leaves no tiny black spot (= burr fragments) you're golden.

>press an old wool sock .... and drag it along the edge
I hate this new keyboard

I got a Victorinox with a rosewood handle for christmas, got a small set now. I assume it's the same thing with a fancier handle, they're really nice. Good starter knife too, it's sharp as fuck but you won't feel to bad if you fuck it up either.

To be honest I'm considering just sending my knives in to be sharpened by a pro and just using the honing rod by myself. I don't trust any of the machines, and while I theoretically I could get into sharpening, it seems more efficient just to send them away for a couple of days and get them back razor sharp. Only needs to be done like, once a year as well.

>sending my knives in to be sharpened by a pro
If you're sending your $20-40 victorinox they'll just be laughing at you.

You're meant to send in real knives to the pros to sharpen, things with 70/30 bevel, or single bevel traditional japanese knives, or high carbon steel knives, etc.

I dont think that's true. There are quite a few professional sharpeners on kitchenknifeforum.com and they will sharpen anything you send them. Whether it is worth the money and the time spent waiting is another matter entirely. I'd definitely learn how to sharpen my knives myself first.

>If you're sending your $20-40 victorinox they'll just be laughing at you.
No they won't. They are being paid to sharpen knives, they don't give a shit what they are given.

I run my cheap knives on auto wet/dry sandpaper.

This senpai

I bought one off aliexpress for like 10 bucks. I'm pretty happy with it; compared to the utterly shit knives i used to cut my meat and veggies with. But granted. it´s not a top-tier knife. But the easthetics really make u love it. Kinda like my gf.

I've had mine a couple of years and recommend it for a first knife. Not to pricy and better than what most people have.