Veeky Forums Meets /diy/

This knife has come into my possession and I am going to return it to functionality.

What style of knife should I make it into?

Any information about the blade would be appreciated as well. All I know is that belonged to either my grandmother or great grandmother.

There is a sharp bend about .25 inches from the tip and a gradual bend approximately 1.5 inches from the tip. I have been gently trying to work out the gradual bend by hand with moderate success but feel that I won't have any luck on the sharp bend so am not going to attempt it.

There is also significant wear through the belly which will need to be ground level.

This is a rough new profile I drew to get an idea of what I might be working with for available space. I could keep more of the blade and maintain the profile of a slender chefs knife or go thinner to land more in sashimi blade range or even thinner and more curved for a fillet knife. My kit currently contains a 3.5" paring knife, 7" nakiri, and 10" chefs knife for some context. I am leaning towards either a sashimi or fillet knife.

I don't think you need to turn it into a new knife, just give it a good restoration and sharpening. You could maybe cut a half inch or something off the tip but it seems good the way it is. Just get the metal back to a clean state and then make sure it's sharp as fuck and you're good to go.

>Ed.Wusthof
That’s some good quality steel.

The issue with making it a thin chefs knife is that I don't want redundant knives in my set. The belly really needs to be ground as shown in pic related and puts me close to sashimi knife shape already so will probably pursue that. There is flex to the blade but mainly towards the front and not quite enough for a fillet knife and even more so after part of the tip is removed. I know I could just leave it and work around the bent tip but I figure it will make for a fun project and give the knife a unique place in my set.

I think it might be legitimately hand hammered. You can see a subtle wavyness along the spine as if from hand hammering. I don't know enough to know for sure though so it's pure speculation.

Tried to get a better picture of the bend in the tip. It's very noticeable in use and digs in. Can be worked around and has even improved a little bit with bending over the past couple days but it's not gonna come all the way out.

Damn that is a crazy thin knife. Interesting thread OP.

Just please don't ruin that nice antique knife. I own some antique Sabatier, some dating back to the late 1800s, and maintenance is the key.

Definitely do not want to ruin. I think I might even do the reprofiling with hand files instead of my grinding stone so as not to chance ruining the hardness/temper or whatever it is called. I like the patina as well but there are a couple spots of rust/corrosion that must be removed to protect the blade. I am as of yet unsure how I am going to approach it.

Since I have the thread going I shall post the other knife that came into my possession.

I found the same one on eBay for ten bucks give or take but it feels like nice steel. Could be good to practice on.

It suffers from the same belly issues as the other knife so could be a good one to learn on.

The handle is pretty meh and I want to replace it. I was thinking to extend it up the blade a bit. Maybe curve it upward toward the spine leading up the the etching. There is some pitting there I would like to prevent flexing. I would need to use an epoxy in addition to the two existing pins or risk cracking the handle while flexing the blade.

Make it into a clever

A clever what?

That's a bump for you, OP.

this is a good thread senpai
nothing like Fresh OC
can't wait to see the end product

your the clever idot

round that base, its def long enough to fillet with. You could even leave the curve if you're right handed

make a fillet knife.... I need one

>This is a rough new profile
I really wouldn't remove any steel that isn't absolutely necessary to restore the knife to working order, like removing the tip. Who cares if it is similar to other knives you already own, such an heirloom knife with sentimental value shouldn't be used for every day cooking anyway, unless you are making your grandmother's favorite recipe or something. I have an old cooking spoon that belonged to my great-great-grandmother, you bet I take care of it and it is sitting safely on a shelf in my room.

Good thread op, I'd like to stay updated on progress

Maybe you could crosspost this on kitchenknifeforums.com, I am sure they could help you with info about the knife, and tips on how to fix it. Some of the best professional knife makers and knife sharpeners in the US are on that forum.

Are you implying that I should or should not remove the tip? I appreciate the perspective of leaving it as close to original as possible but I want it to be a nice functional tool as well. While I appreciate the history and sentimentality I am a firm believer in function and reject the idea of owning something for purely sentimental reasons. I take care of the things I own but tools are meant to be used.

I could replace my current chef knife with it but I would not feel comfortable using such a slim blade for the more rugged tasks I sometimes throw at my current knife. Correcting the tip and slimming the profile slightly allows the knife to be comfortably used for a separate type of tasks and provide a function that my current knives do not fulfill.

After further handling and contemplation I might slim the tang and lengthen it up the blade to just before the etching. That would allow me space to add a third pin. I think I would prefer the shorter blade anyway.

>What style of knife should I make it into?
Really, I'd just keep it a carving knife.
You get the matching fork?

I did not.

>turning this glorious German chefs knife into a slanty eyed weeb wet dream for hacking up meme food
You don't deserve nice things.

a stabby one

>I have a nice thing
>how does I ruined it
>I am a logician and I doth not tipst mine homburg at sentimentality
Kys

ok so somebody dicked with the config file and i've fixed it.
enjoy your 1 vote def rounds i guess

Ed Wusthof started making knives with that trident logo (sometimes called 'trident knives') starting around 1814. Modernly made as hot-drop knives using a large press with a single blank for each blade. They use a variety of metals in their steel to provide quality endurance, honing, and a sharp cut.

If it's something you value from your grandmother or great grandmother, I would recommend a simple restoration of the blade instead of adapting it or reforming it to be something it wasn't intended to be.

A simple set of stones (preferably bench stones or a multi-stone setup), a quality steel, and some oil would go a long way to getting the blade back on track. If you're super serious about getting it back to perfect condition, you could always pay a service provider you trust to sharpen it, clean it, and get it back to pristine condition.

I would probably leave the worn look, sharpen it with my stones, use my multi steel and a polishing steel or strop and oil it before putting it on a shelf for viewing or into a block for special occasion usage.

However, that's just my two cents.

>forged in Solingen
>French profile chef knife

Probably is a good knife.