Co/ck/tails

tried posting in al/ck/ but they were too busy drowning in misery and 1.75L cheap vodka drank straight in an afternoon to reply

I started drinking regularly recently and I'm trying to familiarize myself with alcohol varieties and find good cocktail recipes, this weekend I'm thinking of seeing if the smallish liquor store near me has jager in fullsize bottles and sweet vermouth (one can only hope) so I can make negronis with jager instead of campari (don't know what the combo is like but I like gin and jager)

any input on that combination or any cocktails (preferably strong) that you guys would recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

jager is too sweet to act as a campari sub

used to like the combo of cranberry, peachtree, jager but was only good in a shot for some reason

does that mean that it'll be bad necessarily or is it just going to change the character of the drink to be outside tradition?

Cocktails are for faggots. Keep it simple. Vodka and orange or cranberry juice, gin and tonic with lime or lemon juice. Tequila shots chased with beer. Whiskey sours are pretty damn good tho.

at worst, it's bisexual

also the first "real" mixed drink I made was gin&tonic with lime wedges after I made pic related when all I had was kraken rum, water, sugar, and cinnamon powder for mixing

>jager

One shot of bourbon, two shots of cranberry juice cocktail, a tablespoon of orange juice squeezed fresh.

serve in a rocks glass over crushed ice with a slice of orange for garnish. No idea what to call it but it's very tasty and refreshing.

bump

Kraken, simple syrup, and cinnamon is not a “real drink” you idiot.

Negroni is my favorite, not least of all because since it is 1:1:1 it is easily scalable in case you wanna get fucked up

Gin
Sweet Vermouth
Campari
Ice (obviously)
Orange peel as a garnish if you want to be a faggot

151 rum pineapple juice malibu caribou get them all numb
make baby girl come out her shell and raise hell don't stop til the cops come

yes

which is why if you have reading comprehension you should be able to interpret my tensing to note that I indeed made my first "real drink" *after* that

dumping some recent fruitful experiments
>PINING FOR POMEGRANATE
equal parts slivovitz, zirbenz stone pine liqueur, pomegranate molasses and fernet-branca. shaken, up.
>SUMAC SWIZZLE
1 oz dry gin
1 oz batavia arrack
1 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz sumac-infused grenadine (I put rose water in my grenadine, so I added a teaspoon of sumac to that and let it steep for a couple hours before adding it to the bottle)
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz kirsch
build over crushed ice in tiki mug. swizzle.
>SPAGHETTI WESTERN
>1 1/2 oz prickly ash bitters
>1 oz amaro montenegro
>1/2 oz slivovitz
>1/2 oz dry gin
>2 dash peychaud's bitters
>2 dash celery bitters
stir, one big rock.
don't remember the exact measurements off hand for pic related but it's the only recent pic i can find

cocktails are literally for faggots and girls.

Reminder your can't spell cocktail without cock.

Why would you fuck up good rum like that. If you’re such a pussy that you need to mix it, go buy some fucking coke. Are you fat? Is that why you’re so lazy? Wasting good rum instead of just tossing it in the freezer and sipping it with some ice cubes...

what I end up making is probably going to depend on how much le liquors end up costing and what the store actually has

since I'm cucked to hell for volume/dollar efficiency, if I don't already know something's intolerable I'll buy it if it's cheap

why do you consider a spiced rum "good rum"

calm down sperge

>good

kraken's just sweet vanilla extract that I bought on brand recognition when I didn't know shit about liquor, I don't give a fuck about it and I'll fuck it up on some whacky cinnamon antics with no regrets

Mint julep.

youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

6-ingredient cocktails, especially with ingredients that specific are out of my scope, but I appreciate the serious reply and I'll take it under consideration for later when I have more resources

I'll look into that, I like neat bourbon and mojitos, which I assume would be similar with the mint

sure, if you're turning your liquor into fucking soda

but a high ABV drink with bitters isn't faggish unless you're some poor motherfucker skulling vodka to get wasted every night "because it all tastes the same anyway"

wodka taste gud comrade

sure, I drink vodka straight

but also it's a rectified spirit, so the only flavor other than water and ethanol is fusel alcohols, and even then the fusel alcohols are a fault

I may take caffeine like a drug, but I'd rather not extend that to alcohol unless I want to be Gone

scotch and amaretto

You take that too literal. It’s good because it’s not bad, not because it’s actually really good. If it was actually good, I would buy it. I only bought a bottle because of the little handles at the top and I wanted to try taking a swig holding it with my pinkie like they do with old moonshine jugs.

t. roastie

I was given a bottle of Seagram's 7. Anyone know what's best to mix it with? I usually just drink beer and stay away from the fancy smancy stuff

Larios 12 + Schweppes Lemon + Cinnammon

I don't have specific recommendations, but from what I can tell from internet sources, it seems to be flavorful on its own

from wikipedia: "Seagram's Seven is typically consumed in a highball in combination with mixers such as ginger ale, cola or lemon-lime soda. Seagram's Seven with 7 Up is known as a "7 and 7". It's also often used as an ingredient in Manhattans"

so probably go for low-ingredient cocktails, maybe just with club soda to taste if you want a weaker drink or the manhattan if you want stronger and actually have access to vermouth, otherwise try browsing liquor.com for whisky cocktails

basically, pick something you might like since cocktails are never much more than the sum of their parts, it's not like specific combinations, usually, are heads and tails above mixing some random shit

that depends on your own palate, try it out.

You're a small-minded, short-sighted retard who's going to miss out on a lot in life because you're a petulant child afraid your own shadow.
Try a Hemingway daiquiri or a Holland gin cocktail. Not every mixed drink is a cream-fruit-and-sugar bomb, and to make the argument that all cocktails are for faggots just because your dad was pounding mojitos while he molested you is disingenuous and idiotic.

What about the simple old martini, user?

2.5 oz dry gin
0.5 oz dry vermouth
olives as garnish

or add like 0.25 oz of olive brine to make it dirty

>martini
i'd recommend using better quality gin for martinis as opposed to gin and tonics, which are also delicious

>advocaat
>cherry colla
>gin
Goes down smooth, tastes like heaven, leaves no hangover. Literal nectar of the gods.

Old Fashioned is pretty much the only cocktail I order with any kind of regularity, I usually stick to bourbon and soda or vodka and soda. Maybe a sazerac if I am somewhere that actually has a good one, theyre often trash. The recipes on the liquor manufacturer websites can be decent, Ive had friends make them as experiments before. Ultimately though the $100 we spent on ingredients or liqueurs goes to waste, because nobody gives a fuck about drinking a well crafted cocktail once you’re drunk, you just want more booze.

yeah I noticed that martinis would take the same and fewer ingredients to the negroni

the only gin I have is cheap (1L new amsterdam 375ml gilbey's) but I can drink it straight no problem anyway

if my liquor store doesn't stock vermouth I'll probably just get bourbon for old fashioneds and mint julep

and then also jager anyway because I Love Her

If you can drink it straight you should like a martini fine. They really are a lot better if you get some good Gin though.

g&t is better for cheaper Gin. If you don't want to get tonic water, you can get something similar ( but not as good, IMO ) by using any carbonated water + freshly squeezed citrus fruit. I'll normally squeeze 1/4 an orange into them and throw the rind into the drink with the ice.

The best thing about g&ts, besides being super refreshing, are they give less of a hangover than almost any other drink, especially if you use a recipe with no sugar ( like with diet tonic water )

Black tea (hot), teaspoon of honey, jigger and a half of vodka.
Delicious and refreshing.

yeah I've been making gin and tonics, the least hungover I've been per unit alcohol consumed (I think) was from 6 g&t's

I've been doing:
shot of gin
4 icecubes
fresh squeezed lime sixth-slice
tonic (actual tonic, full-sugar though) up to the top of the ice in a highball

I also have lime juice for when I don't want to sign myself up for 6 g&t's in a night since I don't want to waste my limes

missed the bus to campus so I skipped DiffyQ and went straight to the liquor store (that I was going to do after class anyway)

bought:
angostura bitters (the grocery store stocks it, who knew)
maraschino cherries
cheap vodka (nikolai)
sweet vermouth (gallo)
750ml jager
monster (for jager bombs)
more limes and tonic (diet this time)

wanted to grab some seagrams 7 for old fashioneds (why I bought cherries and bitters) but my dumb ass instantly forgot when I went to another aisle in the store

I really like a dark and stormy