What’s Veeky Forums‘s opinion on surimi?

What’s Veeky Forums‘s opinion on surimi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TcjEr7RCUVI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Meh, it's pretty shitty and usually overpriced compared to just getting fresh seafood, but it's also kind of a guilty pleasure.

On first inspection it appears orange, but, to my shock and awe, when biting into it the orange gives way to an off white! I was floored. Never in my life have I been taken on such a rollercoaster of emotion.

i don't eat weeb shit with nip names
also my state has the best fresh seafood in the country so there's literally no reason to buy that shit unless i get my annual hankering for crab rangoons, in which case i'll fucking buy them premade instead of going to some stank ass oriental market to buy ingredients to cook a sub-par tryhard weeb dish
>tl;dr fuck you weeb kill yourself

>my state has the best fresh seafood in the country

But Hawaii also eats surimi.

Hawaii eats spam. He is probably talking about New England or California.

It is really cheap here unless you get the stuff that has been shaped to look like lobster tails or similar. I guess they know those are purchased by retards so they jack the price up. 24 sticks are less than a dollar. They taste like cheese strings to me, a little salt, a lot of sugar, texture reminiscent of ocean. They are average to snack upon, but if you want to make an effort, shredded in ramen, shredded with mayonnaise and cheese grilled as an open face sandwich, topping or made into a wet salad, rolled up into a tortilla and pressed and toasted, then they are actually pretty good.

>Florida
Were my reaction folder not located 30 miles away I'd tear into you the likes of which you've never seen in your life. I'd make you feel so ashamed of yourself with my laughing anime girls, my laughing groups of people, and my laughing ethnic people, that you'd retreat back into the depths of your gator infested swamps from whence you came. I'd slam bang your attempts to stand your ground by teleporting behind you at the very last second, slapping a picture of Picard with his hand outstretched demanding what is this shit... You're done kiddo.

>texture reminiscent of ocean
bags of sand and swallowing ocean water

made me laff

It's pretty good in ramen.

Seafood hot dogs

BASED Floridians

looks like cig butts

Strong, horrible aftertaste. I would rather just eat fish.

it's "steamed white fish minced meat". Too long. Language loves short, you just confirmed it by posting tl;dr, mang.

I watched a documentary years ago on how that stuff is made and its pretty gross. It is not the hotdogs of seafood. That would be fish sticks.
Surimi is the sludge and grime removed from the equipment. Its safe. Its fish but fuck... Imagine if delis took the meat paste wiped off the slicer and blade then packed it into a loaf.

>if delis took the meat paste wiped off the slicer and blade

You've never stepped foot in any kind of real kitchen or commercial food preparation facility.

I don't live in Cambodia like you where people are desperate for every single scrap that falls on the floor, there are standards here where we create food waste instead of avoiding starvation. Thanks for trying, though. I hope your local deli also has mosquito nets to protect you from whatever swamp diseases over there that kill you before your 40th birthday.

>reading comprehension

overpriced as shit at the supermarket, so cheap they are practically throwing it out at the asian grocery store
i like it with rice, mayo and spring onion

But... You so very wrong.

>blown the fuck out

Congrats on the dishwashing position, user!

t. 3rd worlder eating deli floor scraps

underrated, what the fuck Veeky Forums?

Surimi had the unfortunate circumstance of calling itself imitation crab outside of Japan. Because of such a name certain people will turns their noses up against it.

Everyone got it already, faggot, your shit has a slow stink.

I like some brands. Don't think of it as fake crab, because it's just not. It's a processed seafood product, and it's pretty good for what it is. Makes a great seafood salad. I also like to use it in sandwiches.

Surimi-based imitation crab is vastly superior to western style of imitation crab (which usually are tasteless).

seafood hotdog

No, Washington has the best seafood by far in the country.

Seafood extender? Nothing better, mate.

youtube.com/watch?v=TcjEr7RCUVI

Have to say Dungeness crab are the best crab.
>inb4 muh gulf blue crab
Yeah, I've caught and eaten blue crab fresh and they're not as good, so fuck off.

Those of you arguing about how it is made (sludge? floor scraps? wtf?) ..

Ok so usually people want to catch fish which can be portioned into things or form a large complete serving, but a lot of fish are tiny shoaling fish which have very little food value like, but not like sardines, other herrings, mackerel etc. They need further processing to realise food value.

Some are just so tiny you locate a shoal by sonar, drag a net through the massive shoal and you end up with tons of fish the size of your fingernail. Nobody is preparing these because while it is a protein source, nobody really wants to eat tons of whitebait.

So they cook these in massive heated cement mixer style centrifuges. Once the centrifuge gets up to speed the flesh leaves the bony solid material and starts to extrude through tiny holes in the centrifuge. This ocean derived protein paste is collected, then further mixed with flavouring, starch and process aids then shaped and formed into whatever the required shape is, sticks are fairly easy and common.

I can imagine there is the chance that process waste and scraps could be put through this process, or if you are trawling for larger more valuable species and you end up with several tons of weird ocean monstrosities mixed in you put them in too, but generally they go fishing for tiny shoaling species which otherwise have limited value. The rest .. the waste, the unwanted catch I'm sure goes to pet food, fertiliser and so on down the chain etc.

>we win if you're willing to believe that there are only 48 states

The absolute state of drumpfkins, everyone.

Not sure if this is dog shit bait or a typical lefty at this point. It's hard to tell these days.

I find it a very economical way to enjoy a snow crab supper

Has a bad rep for being processed and a replacement for more expensive food, but still a good source of protein, low in fat, a bit too high in salt. I don't care about it being poor people food, it's decent food nonetheless.

I think it would be a competitive paleo food if they could just cut out the sugar