Entomophagy

What does Veeky Forums think about eating bugs? They're an efficient source of food, more humane to kill, and 2 billion people worldwide eat them.

I'm not against it, but they will never be my primary source of protein. I've eaten loads of insects before. They're fine. Some are good, some not-so-good. I don't like biting into carapaces and getting legs and stuff stuck in my teeth, which are very overcrowded. Legumes, meat, and dairy are much to be preferred. I disagree with your claim that they are more humane to harvest, however.

Bugs can be killed more humanely via lowering their body temperature until their metabolism slows and they are knocked out. Then they don't feel pain and can be harvested in an ethical fashion after living a comfortable life.

I like the taste of most bugs but for me it's all about the taste in my meals. You can't recreate the taste and texture of a nice steak with bugs, nor can't you recreate the taste and texture of some nice fried maggots with soy.

You can kill them more humanely, but you can also wait for cows and pigs to die by age. You can also just kill them quick enough to make it impossible for the cows to feel the pain. The problem lies within the taste. Old bugs don't taste as good as fresh ones.

Also I doubt we know nearly enough about bugs as we know our common meat sources. Maybe they feel pain, maybe not. I don't think there's only our way to feel pain

>but you can also wait for cows and pigs to die by age
This is how you get the worst quality meat.

>They're an efficient source of food
so are other things

>more humane to kill
don't care

>2 billion people worldwide eat them.
if 2 billion people still regularly shit in the street, does it make it acceptable? No, of course not. Bugs are foods of primitive lower civilizations, I'll stick to my lobsters thanks

I think they’d probably taste like shit, but I agree that they’re more efficient and ethical. Primarily, insects are much better for the environment because they use so little water and produce so little waste, yet they yield a lot of protein and calories. I’d be down to try and develop a meat substitute from cricket flour or something similar.

>Bugs are foods of primitive lower civilizations, I'll stick to my lobsters thanks
good1

It's interesting that you felt this post was actually worth the small effort it took to type.

Crickets have a nutty flavor.

There the only organisms that will survive the final nuclear race war, so I guess its time to hit subway and get a sweet Mexican cockroach foot long

Go away UN shill, we won't eat your insects!

Cricket flour is a great source of protien

>hurr grunk no like teck-shure

low-impact high-protein food of the future, along with fungi real talk

>more humane to kill
Seems pretty arbitrary desu

>more humane to kill
arbitrary

Why can't you kill cows and pigs by slowly lowering their body temperature below survival limits? That's a comfortable way for anyone to die, and you could do an entire shed of them at once..

if they were prepared into squares of colorles, tasteless pulverized bugs, i would have no problem using them as survival rations.

but it would be a last resort