Is this the dumbest thing ever?

Is this the dumbest thing ever?
The ENTIRE point of a wok is that it's round, so the fire underneath evenly heats the entire large surface

With this retarded contraption you get an unevenly heated small surface. It's literally just a worse standard frying pan.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lodge-P14W3-Seasoned-Cast-Iron/dp/B00063RXQK
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Chinese culture has never made any sense

this is a Western 'wok' for flat surfaces

Asians are the ones using the non-dumb version you retard

>so the fire underneath evenly heats the entire large surface
I thought the point of a wok's shape was to have cooler areas higher up so you can cook lots of different ingredients without over/undercooking any of them.

I doubt asians wok burners in their little 30ft apartments.

they're lucky to have stoves at all

>so it's a regular stove burner
Yeah, we have that in america, it's a grate you put over a normal burner.

>Is this the dumbest thing ever?
No, that would be plastic coated non-stick woks.

no sjw problem there cunt how does THAT make sense to you

yeah, you can get them in america too.
I doubt they have them just like americans don't have them. Does anyone have any pics of chinese home kitchens? I'd like to see.

I too would like this. We will get to the bottom of this, user.

I don't, but I have seen a lot of videos of cheap street vendors with gas wok burner set ups. So long as your gas line has the flow capacity, you can get decent quality 100,000+ BTU jet burners for $40. I'm sure there are factories in China pumping stuff out for $10ea that come just short of blowing up a city block with one wrong move.

My mom has a house in China and we order 3ft tall 50lb propane tanks for the kitchen. The tank goes under a cabinet and is built in like a dishwasher.

Newer houses are probably setup to use primarily electric now with a small propane tank for wok work.

I have one like that. Just have an electric stove turned up all the way, no crazy million btu heat source. You have to keep the stuff in constant motion so everything is cooked evenly, or do something like said. I guess this is obvious, but the high sides, which keeps stuff from flying out when cooking is the only thing that really matters. It's a lot tougher making fried rice or a stirfry in a normal flat pan without making a mess. I'd be interested to try cooking in a rounded one with higher heat source, but I think the same results are achievable.

What about a cast iron wok?

I had one of the retarded woks in the OP. I just bought a proper cast iron one. Thanks user!

wouldn't it be super heavy? other than that I guess it would work
woks are to be seasoned in a similar fashion to cast iron anyway

IIRC wok burners require more gas than a normal american gas range, and get their own tank. i'm friends with some rich asians, their kitchen has a flat top/plancha and two wok burners with dedicated propane tanks, no conventional gas or electric range. i assume that they set it up similar to how they would've had it at home.

Most woks are probably cast iron.
Just not the dumb shit westerners buy

I just got the Lodge one - it's just under 10 pounds apparently.

they're carbon steel dumbass

user is correct in that carbon steel is the traditional material. But cast iron is fine too.

>the dumb shit westerners buy
I was specifically not talking about those dumbass
carbon steel is not the traditional material for anything that's been made for centuries m8

Good point friend.

I looked it up, I was wrong. My b

amazon.com/Lodge-P14W3-Seasoned-Cast-Iron/dp/B00063RXQK
$50 shipped and weighs 14 pounds.

They wouldn't just get it from the mains?