Liver

Do people hate it only because their mum didn't knew how to make it properly?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-liver-pate-march-2007
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how do you make it properly

I think it's because it has a strong flavour, an unexpected texture and is nothing like meat.
When you're not used to it, it can be weird.

The food thag separates soyboys from men.
Just like fresh milk.

If it's a mammal's liver, slice it up and dust it with flour and fry it in butter for about three minutes. If the texture goes a bit chalky, you've overcooked it. Better luck next time.

If it's poultry, just fry in butter for a few minutes. It should still have a slightly mushy texture when fully cooked.

Liver pate masterrace reporting in

That's pretty much why I don't like chicken breasts.

Liver is at least considered normal-ish.

Eating chicken and cow's heart is still frowned on these days, when it is the most delicious and nutritious part of the animal. It's also cheap as fuck because there is barely any demand for it.

All you have to be careful for is the large amount of cholesterol organmeat contains, but it's fine as long you keep it to 1-2 meals a weak.

Soak in water for an hour (soaking in milk is a meme), pat dry, dredge in flour and pepper (no salt), pan-fry for a few minutes a side. It should still be pink in the middle.

You should only eat liver a few times a week, but that's because it contains so much vitamin A. Cholesterol is irrelevant.

Last few times I've seen heart it was more expensive than sirloin. It has more flavor though.

If you can separate sections, each one has different uses.

>GRUG NO LIKE TEKSHURE IT NOT LIKE CHICKIE TENDIES

That's funny, here in (western) Europe you can get a kilo of chicken or cow heart for around 4 euro's.

Must be supply and demand.

>It should still be pink in the middle.
Opinion disregarded

I got 700g of pig heart for 1 Eur today. Already butterflied and cleaned of the worst of the nonmuscular tissue. Wasn't even on sale or anything. Feels almost like cheating.

I'm scared some asshat blogger is going to make them popular here and bring the prices up.

>Eating the part that separates toxins from the body

It's like you want to get cancer.

>I'm scared some asshat blogger is going to make them popular here and bring the prices up.
Very legitimate fear. Beef tongue and oxtails used to be cheap af here in amerizionstan and the hipsters got a hold of them snd they're almost as much as a strip steak. Thanks joos.

Quite literally yes. The moment I had it properly cooked I fell in love with it.

>mum
Opinion discarded.

Liver is literally the only food I can tell the difference between organic and conventional. Also get grass fed if you're getting beef liver. Marinate it in something acidic, fry it up, and then you'll be good to go. If you don't like it then then you just don't like liver, but I'd still give foie a shot

That or they have never outgrown the childish notion that organ meats in general are "gross."

Don't fucking overcook it is the main thing.

If it's a more tender type like calf liver, you can saute it in butter (with or without dredging it first). Tougher varieties (e.g., ox/beef liver) can be braised.

It's correct, though, at least with calf liver. Slightly pink, anyway. If you really can't stand it pink, just be sure to only go JUST past pink. If you go much past that point, you get into overcooked territory quickly, and it gets tough.

I saw tongue in the supermarket for the first time in a dog's age the other day. Unfortunately I'm off meat for Lent.

I wish someone would make tripe popular, even if it became pricey, because I can't find the stuff anymore. Fried pickled tripe used to be nearly as much of a standard at diners in my area as liver and onions is, but they all seem have to lost their suppliers.

>grass fed
>not grass-fed/grain-finished

It tastes like ash and powder to me. Same reason some people can't stand almonds because they taste like soap.

Raw chicken lungs are the best. I've had it in Japan.

>Eating cholesterol is bad meme

Yeah, dietary cholesterol =/= serum cholesterol and all that. Also HDL vs. LDL.

And in the case of liver, the reason you don't want to overindulge is vitamin A (which is fat-soluble, and therefore accumulates in your body, and can be toxic in excess), not cholesterol.

I can't stand the buttery flavor

>Do people hate it only because their mum didn't knew how to make it properly?

That’s my guess also. My (Polish) mom made great liver but of all my friends, I’m the only one who eats liver and I get it any time it’s on the menu while my friends are always grossed out and tease me about it.

Also, a liverwurst sandwich with onions and horseradish cheddar cheese is my favorite.

>my friends are always grossed out
I've always considered this additional incentive to eat foods like that. I take a certain perverse pleasure in annoying them. Liver, tripe, tongue, blood sausage: I love them all, but the fact that people around me get grossed out only adds to my enjoyment.

We have to remember that we are the normal ones: for most of human history these were common foods. There weren't always burger joints everywhere, and people couldn't afford to waste perfectly good protein by being picky. Even a generation or two ago, these were normal and popular things to eat. It's only the last couple of generations that have even had the option of eating nothing but hot dogs and chicken nuggets, and been able to enjoy the luxury of being put-off by offal.

It's really a kind of snobbery to refuse to eat these things which have been staples for innumerable generations, not to mention the epitome of wastefulness to slaughter animals only to eat the choicest parts of the carcase.

Not to mention that many of the same people who are concerned, for instance, about the liver being a filter for toxins will have no qualms about eating any number of processed "food" products with God-only-knows-what in them.

> by being picky.

I’m 50 years old while there’s a couple of things I don’t eat (beets, for example) but kids nowadays are a bunch of pansies.

My brother’s son won’t eat this and won’t eat that and we were at a restaurant and he ordered potato skins but they arrived with a few chopped chives on them, he almost started to cry (13 years old at the time!) while his parent’s were on the verge of getting a new order made, I called him a pussy right there at the table (shocking my sister-in-law) and picked off the chives and told him to shut the fuck up and eat it (which he did, as I kinda scared him).

My other brother’s daughter (17) eats like a bird and will only eat a handful of things, like potatoes and bread and says she “doesn’t like” anything else put in front of her, even though she’s never tried it. We were at a friend’s Superbowl party and they had pizza, one with ham and bacon and another with plain cheese and she refused to eat it because it didn’t have pepperoni, so my brother drove all the way to fucking McDonalds to get Chicken McLugnuts for her…

Pisses me off to no end but his wife is such a cunt that I rarely see them anymore and the girl is too far gone now anyways.

Unbelievable, because when we were growing up, mom NEVER asked us what we wanted for dinner and our only option was to eat what she made or eat nothing.

When I was a kid my mom gave me liver telling me that it was actually steak, while never actually feeding me steak at any point.
Spent my whole childhood thinking that steak was fucking disgusting 'til I was about the age of 16

>mom NEVER asked us what we wanted for dinner and our only option was to eat what she made or eat nothing.
We were expected to at least take a "'no thank you' bite" of anything that was put on our plates. We didn't have to finish it, but we had to at least TRY it. And yeah, no one was going to drive to McDonald's (or anywhere else) to get us an alternative. By the time we were teenagers, we'd have been told that if we didn't like what was on offer we could make something for ourselves, but no one was going to make it for us.

I'm 39, and my sister's kids are a lot younger than that, but her oldest daughter is extremely picky (she essentially won't eat meat unless it's hot dogs or meat loaf, and there's a bunch of vegetables she won't eat), which is further compounded by the fact that she's allergic to eggs and tree nuts. I try to be sympathetic because of her limitations, but it can get exasperating when the issue become not something she really can't have, but just something she won't even try (and she's stubborn enough that if you make her try it, she'll insist she hates it just to spite you).

I think my sister has been a little too free with the sweets with her, with the result that that's all she really wants to eat.

Growing up, I had a cousin who was similarly picky, though, and he eventually grew out of it, I think (lives in Japan, now, so I can't imagine he can get away with not eating fish, for instance). Sometimes it definitely can be a question of how things are cooked, too: the aforementioned cousin's sister wasn't nearly as picky in general, AFAIK, but was adamant that she didn't like steak—until she had it at our house. As it turned out, my aunt (like my grandmother) was one for cooking steaks well-done, or as my mother (and grandfather) put it "like shoe leather." So my cousin discovered that she actually did like steak after all, but she simply liked it rare.

You really wonder how people like that are going to survive I. The real world once they have to start fending for themselves.

> You really wonder how people like that are going to survive

I asked my niece that night (after giving her shit about making her dad drive to McDonalds) what’s going to happen when she goes on a date and refuses to eat anything on the menu and she just shrugged….

She's 17. She knows what happens when she goes on a date. She just didn't want to talk about it with an old man.

She's never been on a date, as she's a nerdy bookworm.

My nephew is also and I fear he'll never get laid...

I don't eat liver, heart or internal. Those I give to my cats

I have lambs heart. Stuffed and slowly braised it's delicious.

i used to didnt knew i hated liver but when i have ate it i was said
wew
i never knewed i really enjoyed liver

>Go to super market
>Buy some crackers, liverwurst, german mustard, and caramelize some onions
>My mouth when

>cracker
reported

I had duck foie gras the other day and it was great. Thought I would’ve hated it

i like the taste a lot, but the greasy film it leaves on my mouth is hard to get over

I've always liked pork liver. Kidneys too - they are somewhat similar in taste and texture. Kidneys have weaker flavor and are denser. The one thing that some others here eat a lot but I can't is lungs because the spongy texture grosses me out.

Chicken liver and hearts are good too and here are a relatively common snack that goes with alcohol.

exactly, oxtail and beef tongue is the same fucking price here now, like 19$/kg unreal

alternatively, steam it with onions and then turn into pate foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-liver-pate-march-2007

my butcher sells heart. how should i prepare it?

Never send it to your ex. I did this and it ended with a suspended sentence and counselling.

My niece refuses to eat sausages of any kind, she will eat kebabs, burgers and other things that contain sausage ingredients but will refuse to eat things in a sausage form, fucking stupid if you ask me considering there are a near unlimited different kind of sausages.

>lungs
I've only had them once. The last time my father got a deer, I helped him dress it out, and insisted on saving the "lights" (as the lungs are traditionally known). We tried cooking them according to an old recipe I had for (IIRC) lamb lights, and they were OK. They were definitely chewy. I think they needed to marinate for longer.

I like turkey or goose giblets as a stew (as an alternative to just adding them to the gravy like my mother typically does). The recipes I have direct you to chop the neck into several pieces (a cleaver helps) and to clip the pinion joints off the bird and throw them in as well. Some old recipes call for the head and feet as well, but those are hard to come by these days unless you raise your own birds. It's a little bit tricky because the liver obviously cooks way faster than the heart or gizzard do, and you want the meats uniformly done and not tough. It's also a bit fiddly to eat, since the neck and wing pieces still have bones in them and not that much meat, but if you can get past that, it's good.

Depends on the meat. Chicken hearts you can fry for 15 minutes and are fantastic in a goulash with paprika, onions and mushrooms.

Cow's heart is much sturdier meat, and has to be cooked before frying. It's great in a meat pie.

Beef heart is also very good stuffed and then either baked or braised.

If you don't cook the live properly u can get hepatitis from it.

Any parasites that could be found in liver are killed by cooking to 160º F (70º C). At that temp, it will typically still be pink inside.

Why? Because it's the worst flavor that has ever been in contact with my tongue, without exception.

Has a weird dirty taste and mushy

Ever have pig intestines? Smells like someone that didnt clean there ass for a couple days

Get the skillet nice and hot, use a mixture of olive oil and butter, cook for 1.5 minutes per side for each half inch of thickness. Make sure to season well. Lots of salt, lots of pepper. Serve with garlic mash and string beans. I put some Worcester on my liver, I'm not an onion man but knock yourself out with that if you like, and maybe a bit of ketchup if you are into that sort of thing.

I like thinly sliced grilled cow-tongue from having it in Japan, but I'd have a harder time trying a western version.

>Do people hate it only because their mum didn't knew how to make it properly?

Nigga you just got the damn answer on why people dislike certain foods

Similarly, they can be killed by freezing for two weeks.

eh, I was a total bookworm in my teenage days and turned out allright later in my twenties.
Nice posts btw, sometimes I fear that my own future children will end up like that, parenting sure is hard.

Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand lungs. I had a bike crash 10 years ago, damaged a lung among other things, and in the hospital I coughed up a piece of my lung and unwittingly chewed on it. Ever since then anything with a similar spongy texture is enough to make me very nauseous, if not outright vomit. I love liver, kidneys, heart, but lungs are one of the few foods that trigger the hell out of me. Also tripe, that horrible shit smells like wet dog.

70C is mid well, approaching well done for a steak. Guarantee liver cooked to that temp will be grainy and tough as shit.

>I am 50 year years old
Sir, it has been honor to shitpost with you today !

I have a strict policy against eating food that has to be soaked in milk to be palatable

It doesn't ya dingus, it's perfectly fine without soaking it.

Its like people think their kids are going to starve or something if they don't give into their wishes

>10166413

I imagine its the irony taste that people have to hurdle.

eat your beets you hypocritical geriatric cunt