Cookbook

so Veeky Forums what's your favorite cookbook?

my head desu

>cookbook
Thats not a cookbook
Cooks dont use cookbooks
We use methods techniques ratios and experience
Cookbooks are for college students and housewives.

what would you call it then genius?

the internet

This is the one that helped me learn how to cook and bake. I still go back to it because the recipes are good for learning techniques and the food is delicious (and very keto friendly)

cooks are the chef's bitches, you guys just repeat what he tells you to do and keep your head down for $10/hr

I use CookingInRussia's yt videos and books the most

Wait, do you actually think OFaC is a cookbook? How is it your favorite if you've never read it?

of course its a cookbook you idiot, what else would you call it? You do realize that a cookbook doesn't need to contain recipes, right?

This one is one of my favorites. Has the best meatloaf recipe.

The only “cookbook” worth buying are the ones that churches put out that are a collection of all the old lady recipes. The absolute best casseroles and cakes and pies. You’re not gonna find gormet shit, but you will find tasty shit.

>Veeky Forums, by far the board with the least amount of quality content pertaining to its given subject
>Has a near universal disdain for collections of content pertaining to its given subject
Not surprising

I learned to cook using pic related (and learning from my mom.)

Forkish's "Flour Water Salt Yeast" taught me how to bake excellent bread.

I also really like the Minimalist Baker's "Everyday Cooking."

I usually use this old terrible book my aunt put together for a family reunion. Everyone in my family put in a recipe and its a bunch of nasty ass shit.

>Cooks dont use cookbooks
You don't own Escoffier or Gastronomique?

I got one of these as a Christmas gift and it's full of the most godawful shit. I'm talking recipes for "blueberry muffins" that describe mixing fresh blueberries into Bisquick. There are a handful of interesting recipes but 90% of it is tweaking premade mixes with some random ingredient to make it slightly different from the standard corporate secret recipe.
Boomers were a mistake.

Easily the one I reference the most. Doesn't do anything fancy, just has base versions of recipes catalogued succinctly.

not the other guy but i wouldn't call it a cookbook, it's a compendium if you want to get specific about.

That's cute, even if it didn't work out.

That’s very different than the few I’ve picked up at thrift stores/used book stores. The ones I’ve got occasionally will used premade garbage, but a lot of the recipes use real ingredients.

Quite a bit of basic recipes that probably thins it out for experienced cooks, but still delicious stuff and pasta dishes are probably my favorite. And the old man was cute

In my case it's very clear that the parish priest was taking gourmet cooking classes and thought it was a good idea to compile a cookbook. His recipes are really well done, very detailed and use a variety of skills and complementary ingredients. I guess he wasn't banking on the majority of the congregation being relatively clueless when it comes to cooking anything besides jambalaya.
Reading through it now, there are some pretty interesting crawfish etouffee and gumbo recipes, but the dessert/baking section is littered with prepackaged cake mix and the appetizers section is little more than people mixing Pace salsa and nacho cheese together and actual shrimp gelatin molds (there are three separate recipes for this).

>shrimp gelatin molds
I'm curious, but do I want to know?

It's a southern Louisiana thing. Never had it myself so I guess I can't really judge, but I can't imagine it being very appetizing. The cuisine here is amazing so I'm inclined to think it might taste good despite the look, but we can't hit home runs all the time.

That doesn't look as bad as I was expecting really, the gelatin seems strange but otherwise it seems like an over mayonnaised prawn cocktail.

Little known fact: He battled depression most of his life, actually attempted suicide.

If you haven't you should watch his show Two Greedy Italians, it's great and he's fucking adorable. I miss him.

Ahh. I bet yours is from a big church post 2000. Soccer moms got the internet and fucked up potlucks with “cheap” “easy” “tasty” bullshit.
You gotta try to find one from a small dying church filled with grannies or one from before 1995.

Yeah those episodes are great, I love the way he says "wonderful"... His passion for food and nature in general is very warming

a u n t
m y r n a s
p a r t y
c h e e s e
s a l a d

Keller's Ad Hoc At Home.

I love meatloaf. MIght make it for dinner tonight.

OFaC is a great book. First read it 19 years ago. It is not a cook book.

my guess is there's cream cheese base
think crab puffs and rangoon filling

>literally has cooking in the title
>not a cookbook.
smallbrainwojak.webm

just came to post this thread.

pic related is the first book that gave me the confidence not to need a recipe to cook something, and taught me how much salt is needed to properly salt something

Stupid troll. Pathetic at this point, but I guess it keeps your thread bumped.

would you scan it? i have a a similar cookbook from my grandma's greek orthodox church.

>doesn't know the difference between a recipe book and a cookbook
droolingwojak.png

My catalogue of recipes and techniques that I keep in my head from reading lots of recipes and watching cooking videos/tv + watching friends and family cook.

OFaC is not a cookbook but definitely my favorite book "about" food. Definitely a go-to if you're even considering cooking as a hobby.

When it comes to "cookbooks" I have a collection of old family recipes, either ones cut out from decades old papers/magazines or originals, that I refer to more often than not. The things that stand the test of time and please generation after generation of guests seem to work the best. But recently I've been into based Ina's Cooking For Jeffrey. Good recipes and a good story.

>Japanese soul cooking
I love Keller's stuff. How's the little Smoking, Curing & Drying book?

>Japanese Soul Cooking

That Japanese pancake though.

The PHS Guy cookbook obviously.

>taught me how much salt is needed to properly salt something
What does it recommend?

These were the good old days. What year was he around, 2009? His threads were amazing and I loved how assblasted people got. I hope he still lurks.

Probably, the oldest I can find in my archive is from 2010 and everything else was posted much later by other people.

>knife guy
ahahahaha

Man that was a lot of fun.

I've had Ruhlman's Charcuterie for years now and haven't tried anything out of it. Any good experiences?

Agreed.

as much as possible without it getting too salty

Recent purchase, 5 bucks on sale. I have yet to make anything from it but It’s a pretty comprehensive overview of curing and drying processes which is what I was looking for. If you want a recipe I can snap a pic for you.

Love this book, everything I’ve made from it has been fantastic so far.

I’ve made 2 things form it. The duck breast prosciutto and sausages using his master recipe. Both came out so fucking salty they were practically inedible. I later took a sausage making class at a local butcher shop and lo and behold Rulhman’s salt to meat ratio was more than double what was being taught.

>lo and behold Rulhman’s salt to meat ratio was more than double what was being taught

That sucks. I picked up the book from a Border's that was going out of business however many years ago that was, and was like 75% off.

>recipe pic
That's OK. I'll pick up a copy of the book. Even if it's not great, it sounds like I'll get something useful out of it.

While I disagree about them being the only ones worth buying, I agree that they are worth buying. Random church lady recipes are great, especially the beverage sections in non-Baptist southern area ones.
There's a lot of but there's almost always a few interesting things in there. Pictured also has some nice summertime food, like chilled strawberry soup and cold peach soup.

let me guess, you don't weigh your salt and since different salts measure differently volumetrically you fucked the recipe.

you would be incorrect.

I was going to say that I remember all the recipes being by weight, but I checked my copy and he gives the ingredient amounts by both volume and weight.

>remove duck from salt and rinse thoroughly

i dunno what to tell you, try the recipe yourself and see how it tastes.

That's standard practice with salt cured foods. What are you trying to say?

Yup, it is.

I'm a big fan of Hank Shaw's recipes, particularly Buck Buck Moose since my family does a lot of deer hunting. I've seen a couple of his recipes in Wild Gourmet as well, there's nothing of his I've tried that I didn't like.

So I see celebrity chefs hunting on their youtube vids are making hunting less of a redneck thing.
I guess hipsters can put their flannel to use.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Also I have the baking one and I like it a lot too. He wrote it before he got into the pseudo-pretentious vegan before 6 stuff and it is pretty solid.

How many ice bowls have you made?

oh, right. that one. thanks for reminding me. yay for you.

This. It was the go-to cookbook growing up. My parents gave me a copy when I got my first apartment too. I have others, but this one is essential.

>Vincent Price was a housewife

Hank Shaw is legit.

>by far the board with the least amount of quality content pertaining to its given subject
Someone's never stepped foot in /tv/

He wrote them, though. That's different from reading them.
Vincent Price was a treasure and the world is poorer for having lost him.

Deus Vult, Bitches.

>we

Cursory google searches and my brain

>Eleven Madison Park: The Next Chapter

I mostly love this bc a lot of my chefs are featured in it and my bread was used in a lot of the photo shoots for the book :’) feels good to be a part of that, senpai

>Smoke and Pickles by Edward Lee
Won this one in a Veeky Forums cooking competition, so this also has a special place in my heart