Why is scandinavian food so hard chewed and salty? It's fucking shit i tell you what. It's all salt, rye...

Why is scandinavian food so hard chewed and salty? It's fucking shit i tell you what. It's all salt, rye, fish and karelia crockpots. Why the fuck do you chew peasant food like rye instead of buying proper white bread?
I much prefer the food here in Texas. No wonder America is the cultural center of the world, makes me wonder why scandinavia is called the best place to live...

>texas, cultural CENTER of the world
my sides are in orbit right now ...

Have you ever been here and eaten our food or are you just going by the pictures and memes?

chewy food helps you avoid crooked teeth and jaw problems and rye / whole wheat bread is much tastier and healthier than the weird cakey substance known as "wonderbread"

>chewy food helps you avoid crooked teeth and jaw problems
Did your village witch doctor tell you that 3rd worlder?

you guys shouldn't take that asshat seriously .. just another fucking bait thread.

Show me your weak, inverted jaw, beta male. Us Scandinavians have strong facial features from chewing hard bread.

Show us your gunz if you really are from Gods country. Better not be a Sako or tikka either

American here. Texas truly is god's country. God made it. God forgot it. God damn it.

t. Oklahoman

someone obviously never had a freshly baked rugbrod, either homemade or from the local bakery

Teeth crookedness is caused by underdeveloped jaws, which is caused by chronic eating of foods that don't need much chewing.

God damn i wish i had some fucking rye bread and pickled herring right now!

We had room for all our teeth until recently

from what i heard, houston was at one point a sanctuary city. there is probably cultural groups that you would find there that wouldn't be in NYC or SF. then there's also austin, which is probably the food and music cultural center of the south.

but the skyrocketing property values are not going to help that. NYC and SF are going to lose their positions of cultural centers because of that. not going to be able to run restaurants when you can't find any cooks.

not him but i watch scandinavian cooking on pbs and it's literally all fish, potatoes, onions, rye, and maybe a cheeky boiled egg

I notice you made this post to fish for compliments and indirectly brag, Finland. It seems you met with some modest success despite being obvious with your choice of Texas of all states. I hope you enjoyed the praise you got from other europoors and that the idea of using cultural stereotypes to get your own culture to be thought of as more open-minded doesn't keep you up at night.
Stay OBSESSED my friend.

Louisiana called, they want their correctly earned title as culinary center of the southern us states back. It was a melting pot before Texas ever was and has been a melting pot of cultures for longer than Texas. I will give you that Austin is doing pretty well as far as cities in Texas go but to be so arrogant as you have been is outrageous.

If I can take a shot in the dark, I'm guessing all the salt was originally for preservation purposes.

>scandinavian cooking on pbs
Okay, let's look this up...
>Award-winning TV host, food journalist and cookbook author Andreas Viestad
Who? Never heard of him.
>In several episodes, two of Scandinavia’s best-known cooking personalities — Sara La Fountain and Claus Meyer — join Andreas on his culinary adventures through Denmark and Finland.
Who ARE these people? They're completely unknown to me. "Two of Scandinavia's best-known", indeed.
t. Norwegian

>Claus Meyer
>a nobody
wew lad you need to educate yourself
>One of the pioneers of the new wave of scandi cooking
>Founded Noma
I'll grant you that he's not a professional chef but rather a food expert and restaurateur

>Texas
I bet you don't know what real bread taste like

I didn't say he was a nobody, just that he was completely unknown to me.
>Founded Noma
Because a high-concept restaurant is totally the height of typical Scandinavian food.

it's a jawlet filter
only people with strong jaws are allowed to live and breed in Scandinavia

Noma may have their fame in some circles but the founder is far from one of the best known cooking personalities. At least not in scandinavia outside of denmark.

>Andreas Viestad
>Went to uni
>Became a columnist
>Worked for the Washington post
>Now has a cooking show in the states

>Because a high-concept restaurant is totally the height of typical Scandinavian food.
Considering what they achieved in changing the restaurant scene in the north, and how they took inspiration from the farmer's almanack I'd say so. They took traditional scandinavian cooking and preparing of food, went back to use what was actually in season and pickle, smoke, cure and other methods used in the past and went to the extreme with it. Then they sort of snowballed with ants and stuff but that was probably more of an exploration of insects as a future protein source in the west.

>Noma may have their fame in some circles but the founder is far from one of the best known cooking personalities. At least not in scandinavia outside of denmark.
He's been on swedish tv at least

>changing the restaurant scene in the north
The fancy, staggeringly expensive high concept restaurant scene, maybe. The regular everyday restaurants haven't changed in the slightest.
>He's been on swedish tv at least
So? He's not a household name. When Ola Nordmann thinks of Nordic food, his is not one of the names that will immediately pop up.

Are you implying the new wave didn't get normal people to pickle, use things that are in season? It hasn't changed what cook books people buy?
>Ola Nordmann
Could it be that Norway is horribly inept at food and don't really care about it compared to Denmark and Sweden?

I honestly don't follow the TV scene much, but they clearly aren't the most well known personalities around. Their actual cooking may be solid and the recipes may be classical cornerstones, on the other hand they may be guy fieri tier people.

>Could it be that Norway is horribly inept at food and don't really care about it compared to Denmark and Sweden?
Yeah, no, you're just yanking my chain now. I think we're done here.

'I have a dream.' That one day every person in this nation will control their own destiny. A land of the truly free, dammit. A nation of action, not words! Ruled by jaw strength, not committee! Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every man is free to chew - to munch - for himself! Fuck all these slackjawed Americans and chickenshit whitebreadfags. Fuck this 24-hour Internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! Fuck American pride! Fuck the media! FUCK ALL OF IT! America is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes, a new America will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to chew as they see fit, they'll make America great again! In my new America, people will chew and munch for what they BELIEVE! Not for money, not for oil! Not for what they're told is right. Every man will be free to chew his own wars!

Americans just can't help embarrassing themselves

It changed the scene to a large extent in Denmark and has had a huge influence on home cooking and the pop cook books middle-aged women buy.

That said, I’m not surprised someone from Norway of all places don’t know about it. A cultural and gastronomical black hole.

Yeah it's totally not some obsessed Yur0, not like we don't have 12 threads a day about the U.S.A.

Lovely fjords, though.

posting the greatest nordic dish

>doesn't involve rotting fish
not nordic enough i am afraid

but involves the most nordic raw ingredient, the native potato

Murrikan here, I visited Denmark and bough some Rugbrod to keep in the apartment I was staying in to make lunch with (cheaper than going to restaurants all week). It was very good. Bleached white bread sucks (but I did see it in the Danish stores)

Did you bring back some anti-depressants? The Danish can't help but gorge themselves on mind altering psychotropics

Yeah, I really don't know why people claim we're the happiest nation. The weather alone will drive you to suicide.

Yeah, when I was there () it was drizzling the entire time. For about 130 hours. Non stop.

Better than hurricanes and floods

That's true. Our weather will not kill you directly.
There's no fucking way we're the happiest nation on Earth, though. It's not all bad of course but I'm sick of retards like "Bernie" trying to claim it's all good.

i love grey lumps

They're potato dumplings.

Its probably some bullshit based on statistics like gdg per capita, life expectancy, crime rate and access to education and healthcare.
for some reason even though nordicks and east asia dominate those fields they are also extremely depressed and suicidal, and shitholes like the US and south america have some of the highest self reported happiness

Pekka, mitä vittua nyt taas?
Koitas rauhoittua.

OP is baiting but i'll bite. white bread is bad for you. rye is superior. texas is becoming gayer (austin) with the influx of techie fags, and dallas is becoming a polluted shithole that looks the same as los angeles, complete with rising levels of niggotry and mexitrash. eat shit faggot, i've been to Denmark and it felt like a city-style paradise, peaceful, great food, only problem is the freezing cold weather.

So it fucking keeps, dipshit. Scandinavian food used to have to keep for months or even years in case you got snowed in all winter, or so it kept in the longship without going off before you raided the english for more food.
Otherwise, if you use saunas regularly, you need salt.

Over time, the people acquired a taste for it.

They barely made it to Scotland.

Finland is not part of Scandinavia.

>We had room for all our teeth until recently
Actually a myth. Wisdom teeth have always been spare teeth; It's just that adolescents don't tend to lose teeth to trauma these days, so the extras need to be removed.
Until recently, room was MADE for wisdom teeth.

I wonder why cuisine found in the frigid north is hard, salty and preserved. Could it be that food was historically hard to come by in the sub arctic?

Probably has a lot to do with the sun desu. If you work indoors without windows you'll only see sun in the weekends during part of the winter

>They barely made it to Scotland.
Not even the scots want scotland. The vikings rampaged across england, and then ended up staying in Yorkshire because it was easier to spend their loot settling locally instead of hauling it all back over the sea again. Especially if you were looking to steal a wife.

>it was drizzling the entire time. For about 130 hours. Non stop.
You fucking weakling. It does that for weeks on end in england, and we just deal with it. We have more words for rain than the eskimos do for snow.
Yes, the weather is fucking depressing. That's why we invented the steam engine; so we could get the fuck away from it and take holidays in sunny countries and get waited on hand and foot by brown people.

They made it as far as to north america

>rye
As a norwegian I can debunk this, it's literally impossible to find rye bread anywhere. You have to go to specialty east-european stores to get decent rye bread.

>I really don't know why people claim we're the happiest nation
They say the same in norway, sweden, iceland etc.. it's obviously an insecurity issue.

>it's literally impossible to find rye bread anywhere
What are you--
>to get decent rye bread
Oh, DECENT rye bread. Yeah, absolutely.

Norway took the northern islands and parts of Scotland and Ireland, the danes literally conquered England and held onto it till the normans came around.

You don't have a local baker? Or a fucking oven?
Is Norway that far gone already?

So it would keep for long periods of time for storage and trade, also a lack of local spices.

>normans
Those were also Danish.

>local baker
I fucking wish. Nothing but mass-produced bland shit in "supermarkets" with zero product selection, everywhere.

The 'rye bread' you get in general stores is an insult, there's basically no rye in it either. It's the bread equivalent of kebab mystery meat in quality and texture.

Well, that's fucking depressing.
What about baking your own?

Yeah.
>"oat bread"
>check flour content
>95% wheat, 5% oats