Split pea with ham soup

Why aren't you having any?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4gyLqSkYA1U
quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_p/P02300.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love the stuff

Split pea and bacon soup with fresh-baked sourdough bread here.

>ham
Let me up this game for you, the traditional Dutch way. Use smoked sausage instead. Snert is one of the best meals of all time. Especially combined with a slice of pumpernickel with smoked bacon.

Split Pea Anderson's for the win

My mom would make split pea with kielbasa, I still eat it when the night is cold.

Sometimes I make some garlic bread to go with it.

fuck you /pol/ you don't get to claim split pea soup

Cuz I just made beef stew.

>Why aren't you having any?
Because I've graduated to split pea with pepperoni.
Get on my level.

I have some in the freezer waiting for a lazy or lunch dinner.

>browse interwebz
>see picture of pea and ham soup
>picture is similar to OP pic, a thick, stodgy looking more like stew than soup
>next day mention to family member "Where can i get pea and ham soup"
>oh your dad makes it about once a week ill get him to send some over next time
>couple days later a huge container appears in my kitchen
>open it
>wtf looks like green water
>did they send me the washing up?
>pretty confus about this but heat it up and prepare some bread i like
>still not sure about this
>even watery soups arent this watery
>meh wateva
>serve it up
>ooh this is the most hammy peaey hampea ham yum nomnom its excellent wow.
>ok satisfied

so its supposed to be green water or stodgy like a tin of mushy peas or what?

It's soup. What soups do you make that aren't watery? Stew? Chowder?

I like mine a little on the thicker side like stew. Even watery is easy to thicken. Just start mashing peas against the bottom of the bowl. Boil for a minute and it should thicken slightly as it cools to eating temps.

youtube.com/watch?v=4gyLqSkYA1U

i really want to make this, just unsure of which recipe to choose

Use the US Army recipe.

quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_p/P02300.pdf

>when you realize why split pea soup is the most red pilled

LOL

I do eat split pea soup user, I have even even posted the recipe a few times.

300-400g peas (frozen are easiest)
bacon or pork belly (to taste, ca. 1 cup)
2-3 potatoes (ideally mealy)
3-4 carrots
1-2 onions
1/4 bulb of celeriac
1/2 stalk of leeks
some stock
salt, pepper, marjoram, parsley

Dice all the vegetables and the meat, (ideally you now sweat it all off in batches first), put all in a pot. Add about 100g of peas and just enough stock so that everything is barely covered. Add salt. Bring to a boil, let it all simmer for about 20 minutes.

Then put the rest of the peas in an extra pot, fill that extra pot with the hot stock from the first pot, let the peas simmer until properly cooked. Then turn them into pea mush by thoroughly blending them with an immersion blender. Pour the blended peas and stock back into the first pot with the other veggies and let everything simmer together for a while. Season with pepper, marjoram and parsley. Serve with freshly baked bread.

It's necessary to cook the peas in the previously used liquid. If you boil them in extra liquid and add them to the other pot like that the final pea stew/soup will get too thin and runny.

that may be the most faggoty sentence I have ever read on 4 chan, good job.

Taking care of yourself when living with HIV

don't shitpost

does anyone else enjoy their slit pea with hot sauce and yoghurt on top?

If you can't rest your spoon on top of the soup without it sinking in, it's not proper split pea soup
t. dutchie

My recipe

1 ham hock, bought on sale likely frozen to be defrosted when I need it
1 package of yellow peas, rehydrated
1 bunch of onions
However much stock you have around that won't make it too salty
Boil everything for a couple of hours
Remove ham hock to remove bone and chop up the meat and put the meat back in
Majoram, thyme and pepper as needed

I made a vegetarian split pea soup yesterday. Had it for lunch today and it was so fucking good, best meal in a long time.

This is pretty much my recipe too but I add a bay leaf and a splash of sherry towards the end.

This.

>why aren't you enjoying a nice bowl of spit pee poop
Miss me with that gay shit, faggot.

I like to use a smoked turkey leg when I make split pea soup, though if I can get a ham hock from my dad (he raises a few pigs a year on his property) I'll use that instead. I find the turkey to have a more subdued flavor that I like, and I've had inconsistent luck with store bought ham hocks, I find they tend to be way too salty.

>what'd ya have for breakfast?
>pea green soup
>what'd ya have for lunch?
>pea green soup
>what'd ya have for dinner?
>pea green soup
>what'd ya do all night?
>pee green soup

it's funny because it's true

Too busy eating superior lentil soup with balsamic vinegar instead.

SPS gives me the greatest poos the next day

Dry? Roughly how much?

Got a solid recipe to share?

Here's what I do:

- lard
- 1 onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 1-2 packs dried peas
- salt
-lots of pepper
-1/2 tsp marjoram or more
- pinch of basil
- ~2-3 cups chicken stock

1. chop onions and carrots, cook in lard
2. when onions are translucent, add a few cups of chicken stock
3. add dried peas
4. add water until peas are sufficiently submerged
5. add lots of pepper, marjoram, some basil if you want, along with maybe 1/2-1 tbsp more lard
6. add ham or pork cut of choice if you feel like it, I go with pork chops (but you have to cut them up and put them back at some point)
7. simmer down until the consistency is to your liking
8. serve with bread, also tastes surprisingly good with nutritional yeast stirred in

Because I suck shit at cooking it.

Oh, also 1 large regular potato (you don't have to peel if you want) fried in the lard at the beginning and a bay leaf or 2 if you want.

>browze interwebz
>meh wateva

how is a sentient rage comic shitposting on Veeky Forums

Would you all like a recipe for quinoa soup by a genuine Andean person?

I love cooking split pea soup. Sometimes I use ham. Other times I'll use chopped brats, diced bacon ends or real good sausage. Instead of marjoram I use just a touch of either nutmeg or allspice. I follow it up with scratch made layered biscuits.

Sounds weird when you call it that, we call it 'pea and ham soup" and use smoked ham hocks.

pork neck bones or beef bones (i prefer pork tho)
1 large chopped yellow onion
1 chopped carrot if youd like
half a cup of chopped greenbeans if youd like
1 and 1/2 spoonful of minced garlic
salt to taste
half a teaspoon of ground cumin
maybe half a teaspoon of paprika or achiote
a pinch of ground black pepper
1 large pinch of oregano
4-6 potato halves
a handful of chopped parsley

put all that into a pot of water and let that boil on medium-high heat for about an hour and a half, occasionally stirring so the meat doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. at this point the soup should be a medium-dark brownish color; the onions should be almost completely dissolved and the meat should be about to fall off the bone.

once that is done, bring the heat down to medium.

add about 1 cup of raw quinoa, though you can add more if you want the soup to be chunkier, or less if you want it be more brothy. also add roughly chopped cabbage. maybe add a teaspoon or two of peanut butter (its a south american thing, and completely optional). let that roll to a boil until the quinoa is completely open and soft.

serve with a side of cold avocado and finely chopped parsley and green onion (as a topping).

Holy shit

Just had an entire bowl of that great green soup. Love that stuff. Hope you feel like me some day... warm, full, happy.

neat, thanks!

>by a genuine Andean person
post a pic of a mountain to prove that you are indeed a genuine Andean person

Yes dry, I guess roughly 2-3 tbsp? It makes a world of difference though, highly recommend

Cute britfag

Kek

here you go! its a picture of baƱos, ecuador that i took a little while back and posted to my private instagram.

desu im american, but both my parents are ecuadorian and we visit pretty often since most of our extended family lives there.

the recipe is one my dad taught me (he teaches me most of the recipes i make) if you make it i hope you enjoy it :)

fuck yeah broeder

I went through a phase of pea soup last year but I haven't made it in a while since my supermarket stopped regularly having dried peas in stock. It's good shit though.

based wholesome ecuadorian user. i appreciate your existence

*cringe*

Mmmm... another day, another split pea with ham soup. The best soup... Hmmm.... why pray tell are you not having any....???

kill yoursef

wow that's beautiful

we did it family... we raised split pea soup from one of the cheapest and lowest rated soups on amazon to be the most expensive and popular soup on amazon.

thank you! ive only just started lurking and i hope I'll be able to share more recipes with everyone

it is! here is a picture of the back end of the quito, taken from the rooftop of my grandfathers house.

honestly one of the /comfiest/ healthy soups you can have a cold day. couldn't have it too often though.

hello 2009