Why is raw milk illegal?

Why is raw milk illegal?

Other urls found in this thread:

reason.com/blog/2011/06/10/obama-food-safety-czar-defends
web.archive.org/web/20140618044606/http://www.foodsafety.ksu.edu/articles/384/RawMilkOutbreakTable.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Children shouldn’t drink it, dunno why though.

A combination of nannystate cucks and big dairy lobbies

So that corporations can avoid sue-happy faggots.

Paranoid boomers and their broodlings that sterilize everything.

>not owning a partial timeshare on your own cow so you can get your raw milk legally and tell the FDA to suck your weiner

If you really want it, you can just buy it for "your dog"

>timeshare
it's whoring user.

Because of multiple incidents in which parents gave it to their children and killed them.

Ameriburgers are paranoid about food and need everything to be """"clean"""". This means no raw milk is allowed and eggs require refrigeration.

Wrong, eggs need to be pasteurized as well to be clean.

How does this make him wrong?

>americucks can't have raw milk
what a fucking joke of a country.

Because he just mentioned refrigerated eggs, which are still infested with salmonella.

Americans want "clean" eggs so they wash them which causes them to require refrigeration. Even with this work they still have salmonella. That's why I said "clean" with sarcasm quotes.

Well pasteurization will cure that problem, that's why I said it will make the eggs clean..

>Americans want "clean" eggs
Is that why there's a massive trend of renting chickens/chicken coops for fresh eggs? Raw milk is totally legal too. I can buy it at the supermarket here in Burgerland.

Because dummies handle it improperly and accidentally give themselves stomach infections

>some idiot bought shit raw milk
>sue the shit out of everyone
>media fire all over the place
We can't have nice things.

>raw
It's clear these people are retarded. Same for "raw" water cucks.

Raw milk would be the correct term. Normal milk is pasteurized, which means it's cooked.

prove it

reason.com/blog/2011/06/10/obama-food-safety-czar-defends

raw milk is fucking disgusting

It's not, selling it is

>According to the United States Centers for Disease Control between 1998 and 2011, 79% of the dairy-related outbreaks were due to raw milk or cheese products.[63] They report 148 outbreaks and 2,384 illnesses (284 requiring hospitalizations), as well as two deaths due to raw milk or cheese products during the same time period.
anyone who would rather drink raw milk over pasteurized milk deserves to die imo

>It is important to note that a substantial proportion of the raw milk-associated disease burden falls on children; among the 104 outbreaks from 1998-2011 with information on the patients’ ages available, 82% involved at least one person younger than 20 years old.

So in the underaged with underdeveloped immune systems. Most of these cases don't even seem to have positive milk samples

web.archive.org/web/20140618044606/http://www.foodsafety.ksu.edu/articles/384/RawMilkOutbreakTable.pdf

And there's many more outbreaks from fresh raw produce and meat, even if one factors in a higher percentage of the population consuming them. Should salad and sashimi be illegal? Do salad and sashimi eaters deserve to die for the risks they take?

There's at least one contrarian here who would do it,

Did it years ago nothing happened.

I think it is like homegrown eggs, you can sell your stuff to your neighbors, but over a certain amount and then I think you have to register with the FDA.

This is neither here nor there, but I have a neighbor who has chickens, and let me tell you: that shit is good. Best, most creamiest butteriest soft-boiled eggs and juiciest omelettes. I haven't tried baking with them yet, but I'll bet that's better too.

You can buy it legally in the states, their facilities just have to be constantly inspected and I'm sure there are a million rules that go with it.

There's a tiny farm about 45 minutes from me where I can buy raw milk, cheese, kefir, butter, eggs, meat, and kombucha.

The raw milk was delicious, and since business was slow the woman minding the store walked me through the facility. It was great. I don't drink enough milk to go out of my way for it, though.

>boomers

Pasteurization was invented in the 1800's.

Oh right, like the fish antibiotics.

Man you're right about that. I am trying to train myself to get over that. I throw out eggs after a week in the fridge; don't trust them.

My parents traumatized me into be ultraconservative about food because you know baby boomer parents, gotta protect their special widdle angel from everything. On the other hand, I don't think I have ever gotten serious food poisoning. Just the shits.

Because the initial user, besides a retarded argument about raw milk, also placed a red herring
The other user being equally dumb went right for the red herring
It's a fairly usual thing in Veeky Forums """"arguments"""". Another very common cheap tactic is the strawman, /pol/ loves it

>Is that why there's a massive trend of renting chickens/chicken coops for fresh eggs?

There is? Must be numales and hipsters. My neighbor has one, but he is legit country.

Anyway says here laws vary by state. God Bless federalism and its powers reserved to the states.

Right, these are like the people who don't vaccinate their children. That's a little worse though.

Why is suicide illegal?

I don't know how it's in your country, but local sale is perfectly legal here. It's just not allowed to have indirect distributors.

Raw milk cheeses are allowed to be distributed though, because of muh tradition. They get recalled at retardedly high rates. About two orders of magnitude more than pasteurized milk cheeses.

But I'm sure all the people handling your raw milk are the exception to the rule who can avoid those consequences.

Shiga toxin poisoning can right up there with the worst consequences of non vaccination.

Without doing the numbers I'm not even sure the odds of destroying the life of your kids is worse for non vaccination than it's for raw milk.

Because 25% of food-borne illnesses were caused by raw milk before pasteurization became law. There's no taste or texture difference between the two. Crazy "raw movement" retards keep perpetuating myths about it like it's some magical healer.

Raw milk causes asthma in small children, allergy formation and irritation, and food-borne illness such as e. coli. Since a few states legalized it for local sale and consumption, several children have been sent to the hospital for kidney failure and subsequently live their entire lives on dialysis or with weak kidneys.

We regulate the food industry because poisoning people with food is not acceptable. No one has the time to become an expert on every farm and factory, especially foreign ones. So we have laws that regulate them and regulators that audit to ensure the laws are followed. With raw milk being one of the largest natural sources of pestilence in all of food, it was key that farmers and distributors be regulated away from it.

Nature does not provide for you. Nature is not caring or loving. Nature just is, and it is often dangerous and inhospitable to humans. Humans can exploit that for profit. We should prevent both.

Actually the most clean, modernized, and well-regulated raw milk farm in the US has had 3 outbreaks so far and has been sued each time. They even do testing for microbes before each shipment. However, the tests aren't 100% and accidents happen with cows. WHICH IS WHY PASTEURIZATION EXISTS. You're playing with fire when it comes to not pasteurizing.

Go lick raw chicken and tell me how your adult body handles that shit, retard.

>There's no taste difference between the two
You know how I know you have never had raw milk?

Not just lick, had chicken sashimi during a trip to Japan a few years ago. It was delicious and my body handled it just fine. No need to get so butthurt for being an immunelet.

>what is campylobacter

Same reason liberals are trying to ban soda and guns, their perception of safety is more important than freedom

>>>/google/

It’s all vegan propaganda to distract from the fact that the VAST majority of food-borne illness is plant related

>my grandfather had a twin brother
>their mother fed them raw milk as babies
>my grandfather and his brother both got sick from the milk
>my grandfather's brother died
>my grandfather lived

50% of people die when they drink raw milk
>tfw facts

What do people have against Louis Pasteur and his contributions to microbiology?

>not
>tell the FDA to suck your cow's unpasteurized udder
Missed opportunity man.

The real question is why aren't you trying harder to stop these people?

I mean anti vaccine people exist. Stupidity can't be pasteurized away

why does half and half say "ULTRA PASTEURIZED" but regular milk says only "pasteurized"?

Grew up on my grandparents farm (southern Illinois, USA) with fresh milk and eggs every morning, never pasteurized or anything. My brother and I never got sick. The critical thing is, a cow is a nasty, filthy critter. It's udder is often covered in shit, piss, mud, and gunk. You must carefully wash and sterilize the udder of each cow before milking. Also, the equipment used to hold and store the milk must be carefully sterilized to prevent contamination and general nastyness. Sanitation is a continuous, labor intensive, operation. Any laziness or negligence will result in pathogens being introduced into the food product, with really bad results. Grandma never kept fresh eggs in the fridge. They were usually used within the day they were collected. She washed then just before use. If you're extremely careful about the process, there's no problem.

Yeah, I realize there are anti-vaccine people, which just adds to the fact that someone out there must really fucking hate Pasteur.

Could be the process length? It's actually weird what words are marketing buzzwords and what are actual cdc legal words.

Heated to a higher temperature than regular pasteurization.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing

WRONG, eggs can be eaten straight out the chickens poo/fuck hole.

oh boo hoo

Went to a farm with school as a kid and they let us milk a cow and try its fresh milk, it was fucking delicious and then I pointed the udder at the other kids and parents and squirted them.

So the police can get involved and prevent someone who's suicidal from being able to go through with it, forcibly saving their life without committing a crime themselves (assault, battery, false imprisonment etc.)

>UHT milk packaged in a sterile container, if not opened, has a typical unrefrigerated shelf life of six to nine months. In contrast, HTST pasteurized milk has a shelf life of about two weeks from processing, or about one week from being put on sale

neat

The freshness is also critical. Infections always comes down to quantity of pathogenic bacteria ingested. If the Salmonella or E. coli doesn't have the time to actually grow a substantial number, any present in the food just get dealt with by the body.

What did you mean about the eggs being eaten the same day? Fresh eggs can sit out at room temp for weeks.. Months if they are in the fridge

raw milk was delivered to homes in the 1960's

What the fuck, Americans have to wash their eggs? Good lord.

Listeria, same goes for preggo women

like 98% of eggs sold in the land of the free are unpasteurized, retard

>Even with this work they still have salmonella.
At an incredibly low rate. Americans act like it's common here because of a general cultural paranoia, especially among Boomers, regarding food safety. It's the same reason a lot of Americans cook their meat down to leather.

totally fucking wrong

american eggs ARE pasteurized, why do you think you need to refrigerate them?

It shouldn't be illegal to drink it. I hate the nanny state.
I can at least understand that there are restrictions on selling it to other but it should be no business of the State what I voluntarily eat and drink.
Milk straight from the cow is delicious. I don't like the milk you get from the store at all.

because they are washed you total fuckwit, completely different process

Because they're washed, meaning the protective membrane is removed. They're not pasteurized.

It depends on the state. In my state a local dairy farm legally sells raw milk at the farmers market. He sells out every week, too.

No it wasn't. All milk sold commercially in the US has been pasteurized since the 30s.

>raw milk
>illegal

Your grandma was needlessly careful with the eggs. Only like 1 in 100000 eggs have internal Salmonella contamination. Most of the time not being an idiot in the kitchen works fine for eggs and you can keep them for weeks at room temp.

If they are internally contaminated, you're just shit out of luck. Should have used vaccination or pasteurization. Your illusion of control can't save you now, but generally the odds will.

>If you're extremely careful about the process, there's no problem.

A person with common sense can then only come to one conclusion. There's always a problem. Security in depth, not illusion of control. It's always about playing the odds, certainty is for idiots.

I don't find the risks of raw milk generally worth taking. Only day fresh raw milk. Distribution chain raw milk and raw milk soft cheeses, no fucking way.

It's logistically unsound for a serious dairy farmer to be selling raw milk. We're talking about 20 thousand liters per day. If he wants to take a jug full home for the day or some bottles to his friends then in the real world no one gives a fuck. But if it was properly commercialized and marketed with the organic raw etc meme there would be half of that tipped down the drain rotten, or it would make people sick.

The tanker truck goes to the factory and out of it comes bottled milk and cheese and all kinds of good product, and the farmer probably owns shares in it as well.

i get chicken eggs almost daily from the barn i work at, and they are sometimes covered in shit, but a quick wash in soapy water cleans them.

i haven't contracted the salmonelly yet. what can i do to get salmonella poisoning?

just eat rice XD

just eat rice XD

you own a lot of guns, don't you

It's not illegal to drink it. It's illegal to sell it for public health reasons. I worked for a baker who told me about the hustle where he could get it.

You and some other people take out a lease on a cow from a farmer. The farmer keeps the cow, milks it, does all the work, but since you and the other shareholders have a legal lease, it's your milk to do with as you please. You get shares of the raw milk according to your stake. All of that is perfectly legal.

Who wants to know?

it isn't legal to purchase even for pet food in some places.