Honey thread

Why does "raw unfiltered honey" taste so much better than "regular honey"? In comparison, the regular honey just tastes like corn syrup. The raw honey actually has flavor it.

also post general honey-related discussions here

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yK3tkBEZeLw
foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/
georgiahoneyfarm.com/buyhoneyonline/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>the regular honey just tastes like corn syrup
because that's actually what it is.

Many producers cheat and add corn syrup to honey.

Is that legal? I know the really cheap honey will say something like "honey sauce" or "honey spread" meaning that it's not all honey.

idiot

if the ingredients say anything other than 100% it is not 100% honey. if it says 100% honey, it is 100% honey. in the USA, at least. FDA rules and all that prevent companies from lying to consumers on food labels

Most honey you buy at the store isnt real honey.
Its literally corn syrup with food coloring.

idk if it's legal but it's obviously done since bees are dying.

There are many ways to circumvent labellings, specially in the USA.

t. "honey" shill

literal lies

Because the cheap crap is corn syrup, I get my honey from local apiarists and it is god tier.

t. retard.

>There are many ways to circumvent labellings, specially in the USA.
n-no

tin hatter detected

It's likely to do what kind of fields are around the bees. The more industralized ones are likely placed in thr middle of monoculture land. I know rapeseed honey is pretty tasteless but common because the bees produce a lot of honey from it.

Legally, something labeled as honey is supposed to be pure honey. Imports from China are often cut with rice syrup though.

>tin hatter
Back to veddit, normalfagbook, 9gag or imgur or wherever the fuck you came from.

was meant for

>impotent insults

A little local raw wildflower honey every day keeps my allergies away

youtu.be/yK3tkBEZeLw
foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

I just checked my flavorless honey and it does say the only ingredient is honey. This is going to cause me to become a honey autist. I didn't know I'd been been missing out this whole time.

Talk to a local beekeeper, there should be a local beeneepers' club where you live, and get yourself some proper woodlands honey.

>tin hatter
This isn't normalfag I let the gubbermint and media tell me what to think like veddit or some shit the website. Fucking kill yourself because you clearly can't think for yourself at all.
>Huur duur no way people can lie and put corn syrup or shit in honey, it just doesn't happen!

Try some local bee honey and you'll see store bought is literal corn syrup.

>foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/
>Food Safety News tested only for pollen
>this honey isn't real honey, wahh i'm a baby

>the video
tip #1: check the label. real honey has only one ingredient, honey
just like i said you stupid fucking faggot

The only time I bought low quality honey at a supermarket, it was indeed half honey half sugar/syrup, absolutely terrifying.
I'm French so I assume it's absolutely a thing in America too

The operational term here is "filtering". That's the problem. Chinese honey is filtered to the extreme, in order to remove as much pollen traces as possible. Origin of the honey can be determined by the type of flower pollen in it. With pollen removed, you can't trace where the honey came from, thus allowing packagers and sellers to claim it to be local. The problem is, like most heavily processed foods, the flavor of honey suffers the more it's filtered, until you have what is, in essence, nothing but sugar water, but can still be called honey. Sometimes it's mixed with local product, sometimes not. A few years ago, Sioux Bee honey got in trouble for doing this, selling product so filtered and diluted that it wasn't honey anymore. Just honey flavored syrup. Trust no big corporation. Buy local. Support your local beekeeper and farmers market.

>Muh labels, everything in text form is true cuz I said so!
I love this board, it has to have more retards than /v/ and /co/ combined.

Did you even read the article faglord?

>>Huur duur no way people can lie and put corn syrup or shit in honey, it just doesn't happen!
do you really think a USA branded, nationally distributed food item is fucking lying about its ingredients? the FDA would shut them the fuck down.

shitbags in this country want non-dairy milk to be labeled drink
>almond drink
>soy drink
>coconut drink

if it were anything other than 100% it would not be called honey you nong

i'm clearly illiterate, please summarize for it for me.

>He actually trusts huge government agencies like the FDA.
>He trusts the FDA.
Wew lad.

honey is chemically indistinguishable from HFCS. stop putting honey in your mouth

go to literally any SE asian country and report back about their unsanitary food handling please

>One of natures finest sweeteners is chemically indistinguishable from GMO Monsanto/DuPont/Bayer/Synerga/Bill Gates garbage sweetener.
0/10.

You don't have to tell me about how unsanitary and garbage brown people are. I already know this and it doesn't change the fact that you like government cock in your asshole.

t. person being paid by the honey jews

>>One of natures finest sweeteners
that would be stevia

You know what else ryhmes with honey

Anyone here brew their own mead? Planning on doing a 5 gallon bochet next week.

Caramelized the honey fully with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, and vanilla, and then use organic Apple juice instead of water.

Shooting for an apple pie flavor. Hopefully if my starting gravity is 1.140 or greater, it'll come out sweet or semi-sweet.

Afaik the caramelized sugars are unfermentable, so that should be left behind too.

Bunny?
Hare is quite tasty

>not getting your honey from the local bee man

fucking this, a pint of honey is like $15 in the store, but i can go to the apiary only about 30 miles away and get a GALLON for $20

>Finest.
I didn't type most fine, I typed one of the finest. Is English difficult for you?

Brewed my own herbal and kings beer but never mead, it is something I would like to do though.

>one of the finest
honey is not a good thing. do you shovel spoonfuls of sugar in your mouth? that's what honey is.

I hate cane sugar with a passion but honey is great sugar.
>Hurr durr honey is the same as bleached cane sugar!

>This

Easier than beer. The fermentable sugars are already available so you don't need to make a must. Honey is nutrient deficient for yeast tho, so you'll either need to give it a ton of time, or use nutrient additives. Check out the Brays One Month Mead for the easiest intro recipe.

i have sick fantasies

you must not be american
the federal government and FDA benefit a lot more by restricting things than they would letting a bunch of people consume fake products

I am an American and your post is wrong. The FDA cares about lining their own pockets and shilling for agricultural, pharmaceutical, chemical and livestock companies. Just because they don't tell you they let you eat shit doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

>Wanting your fucking bee barf to be unfiltered

Ew.

>why does sex feel better without a condom?
Because it's unfiltered, dummy.

>a local beeneepers
>beenkeeper

I'm already a human bean, thanks

>raw milk
>pasteurized eggs
>pasteurized cheese
>non-dairy milk not being labeled as milk
I could keep going

I'll try to find some local bees and see if they can lead me to their honey trees. It's nearly spring so they should be out soon

Cool, that makes sense. The raw honey I bought is listed as unfiltered so that might be why it tastes good

I have before but I think I used shit honey because it didn't taste like much.

The pasteurization process destroys the flavor of the honey. I buy raw honey from a local bee keeper and it's amazing. He sometimes loans out his bees to help pollinate the apple orchards in eastern Washington and you can tell there's a big difference between the honey made from pollen at the orchard, and the standard clover/wild flower honey he normally has.

>do you really think a USA branded, nationally distributed food item is fucking lying about its ingredients? the FDA would shut them the fuck down.
Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft oh you poor sweet naive thing. Governments and corporations could not possibly lie to you, could they? You are in for a very rude awakening, sweet child. You should look up the term "lobbyists" and go from there.

Anyone live in Georgia? Is this company any good? It's a bit expensive but I could go buy it from the store because it's close to where I work.

georgiahoneyfarm.com/buyhoneyonline/

>look up the term "lobbyists"
>doesn't list a honey lobbyist

A "honey" lobbyist? You mean, a corporate lobbyist who represents a company that processes a honey-like product?

kek as if "orange blossom", "wildflower" and "gallberry" honey don't all taste the same. They're probably made like pic related

i cackled

I'm setting up 2 hives this year (I ordered my colonies in January). I planted a shitload of clover in the fall and it's coming in nicely. We're sowing bunch of wildflowers too. I can't wait, this shit is exciting af! God save the bees!

did you sow wildflowers native to your region?

They don't taste the same. If you think blueberry honey tastes like buckwheat honey you should get your tastebuds checked. The flower clearly makes the honey.

Can you give a quick rundown of how the different flowers' honey tastes. Like orange blossom vs clover vs wildflower? I want to buy it but I'm not convinced I should spend $15 for specialty honey that I haven't tried

I can imagine it now: somebody, somewhere, thinks your local apiary hires lobbysits to force those pure innocent conglomerates such as Nestle to shamefully label their processed corn syrup as such instead of being called honey. I'm starting to think bootlickers aren't assholes so much as they are just extremely sheltered and biased.

The US imports tons of honey from China, about twice as much as is produced in the US. There are tests that detect corn syrup in honey, but they use rice syrup that beats the tests.

I guess so, fuck idk? They're wildflowers that we've been growing and collecting seed from for several years. I also bought a big bag of wildflower seed specifically labelled "for bees".

You said you wanted honey, what if the bees just eat the flowers??

The unfiltered honey still has the pollen in it it's the main reason why I always buy orange blossom honey or mountain honey mother fucking berries everywhere

What is special about orange blossom honey?

The only time there's corn syrup in honey is when you get "honey sauce" from fast food places

Of course, because China started adding rice syrup because they don’t test for that yet. Once they do they’ll add something new.

>rice syrup

rice doesn't have any sugar in it idiot

yes it does

It tastes like orange blossom.

Which means what? Orange blossom sounds tasty, but does it taste like an orange? I've eaten flowers before and they taste like nothing

Cunny

>and it does say the only ingredient is honey
Does?

love it

Nice.

does, as in duz

Probably didn't have enough honey, if the yeast converts all of the sugars there won't be much taste.

>there unironicall "honey" shills in this board

A small quints for men, a giant leap for peadosexuality.

You are actually a retard. Stop posting and get help.

You are a dipshit if you think any company is getting away with labeling corn syrup as honey. The FDA would fine them out the ass.

Only has to be 20% actual honey honey to be sold as honey in the UK.
Sucks trying to find legit stuff.

>Why does "raw unfiltered honey" taste so much better than "regular honey"?
Newsflash. 'Raw unfiltered honey' is on the fucking comb, mixed with wax. They have to process it just to get the honey off the comb.
Just get it before they fill it full of HFCS, and from anywhere away from cornfields. Rapeseed and wild flowers make the best honey.

Assuming they'll talk to you. They hate hipsters, and don't want you to know about their production.

I get my honey from my grandmother, who keeps bees. And I know damn well the 'organic' label is a lie; she has hives in rapeseed fields, and takes tubs of chemical fertiliser as part payment for keeping them there, which she puts on her garden. Where more hives are.
Her garden is lovely, if the bees like you.

Wouldn’t those just be(e) bees?

What is "regular honey" ? I only have "raw unfiltered honey" here.
t. non american

My supermarket only had good honey and since I moved I buy honey from the productor each time I go visit my parents.

Usually when you buy from the bee man he let you taste.

Eating the flower raw doesn't give you enough taste, you need to drink orange flower sirup or patisseries with it.

From my experience they are happy to talk about their bees, not like it's a trade secret how to produce honey and the non-industrial ones are doing it at least as much as a hobby as it is for an income. I live in Sweden though and American beekeepers may be retarded assholes.

>the regular honey just tastes like corn syrup
probably because they are almost exactly the same thing

You really fucking retarded. The fda exist to shutdown competition to the biggest corporations. This is obvious when you look at what they restrict and from who. But I don’t care what you believe I hope you get cancer and die like a moron.

Fucking retard.