Taking a one day break from Keto

Hey Veeky Forums, It's been almost a month into my Keto diet and I've lost 5 pounds. I'm getting high tonight for the first time in over a year and I really want some cookies or chocolate or some shit to go with it. Do you think taking 1 break/cheat day at the end of the month is alright? I know it will take me out of ketosis and that I'll have to wait 3 days to re-enter but I'm ok with that as long as there won't be any other major problems (ie gaining the 5 pounds back) I'd go back to my keto diet tomorrow

Other urls found in this thread:

ruled.me/keto-calculator/
keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you gon shit

>lost 5lbs
>only a month
Wew lad I lost 12 after a week

why dont you just eat less food and exercise more instead of following some dumbass diet for epileptics?

>It's been almost a month into my Keto diet and I've lost 5 pounds.
This has to be a troll

Shit wtf am I doing it wrong? How much did you guys weigh when you started? I started as a little over 180 and I'm 175 now so I guess like 7 pounds. I eat up to 30 carbs a day, should I be eating less?

when you follow the r*ddit method of kept and eat your weight in fat, you don't lose much weight. they eat low carbs, low protein, and high fat

>Worrying about losing weight instead of gaining muscle.
Soyboy cucks.

stop eating high fat and start eating 0-20 carbs, moderate protein, and moderate fat. you know, like the actual keto diet says.
the entire point of keto is for your energy burning to switch to fat, which resorts to using your fat storages for energy over anything else. when you're just eating a ton of fat, you're not going to lose weight.

I don't think I've been eating a ton of fat, just a bit of butter with my meals. I guess losing any weight is better than no weight, right? So back to the topic at hand, do you think it would set me back a shit ton if I took one cheat day?

>just a bit of butter
so how are you even eating keto? list out your entire days worth of eating

as for a cheat day, it's not going to kick you out of keto unless you overeat. if you eat over your daily calorie intake, it'll take days to recover and you'll leave keto and gain a lot of weight.

you also shouldn't need a fucking cheat day when you can eat a bunch of fatty foods.

>the entire point of keto is for your energy burning to switch to fat, which resorts to using your fat storages for energy over anything else
You're retarded

feel free to explain how it works :^)

This. Just make sure that the calories your body burns are greater than the calories you take in.

Also, don't be a fat fuck and allow carbs, fat, sugar and salt to make up most of your diet.

I weighed 315 and dropped to 290 since starting the 2nd of February. Use this calculator for what you should be eating. Don't do the meme of pure high fat, and make sure your calories actually have a deficit.
ruled.me/keto-calculator/

This one might actually be a bit better, though. It's the one I use now.
keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I've lost 50lbs in the last year within 6 month break in-between of being depressed fat alcoholic processed food pizza addict. Could probably be at my goal weight by now if I didn't waste that time. High protein, low carb is where it's at for me. Keeps me fuller longer so I don't pick at shit.

the first one is good for brainlets like OP. it doesn't give you control over your fat intake which is what plebbitors like him need

t. hamplanet

The part that's specifically retarded is
>which resorts to using your fat storages for energy over anything else
You only use your fat stores for energy when you aren't eating enough total calories. It's exactly the same as any other diet. Your body doesn't ignore the food you're eating when in ketosis.

which is why, like any other diet, you eat at a deficit. when you eat at a deficit, you "aren't getting enough total calories"
the eat fat to maintain energy and below maintenance you are using fat cells. kill yourself retard.

>he thinks calories are the only thing in question
It's the lack of glucose that causes the fat burning.

Usually I'll have some tea with cream in it (2 tsp is 2 carbs) and I'll have two mugs of tea. For lunch a can of tuna and 10 cucumber slices (or nothing at all, sometimes I'll skip lunch), for supper a plate of green veggies (green beans and yellow beans) and some meat, then usually 10 more cucumber slices, then later at night I'll have a few nuts like almonds, and I'll also have some almond milk throughout the day (taking swigs from the carton every once in a while type of thing). I do make sure to calculate my carb intake each day and I never exceed 30 carbs. I did just remember that for the first week I wasn't sure how many carbs I could have, I first heard 50 so for the first bit I was eating up to 50 carbs until my room mate told me to go down to 30, so maybe that slowed the process a bit.

before you attempt to respond to this, I'll also add that it depletes your glycogen storages so you start processing fat instead. there is literally nothing else to use but your fat storages because protein is reserved for muscle repair

and before you also spout the reddit myth of protein to glucose, it's not until you're well over 300g of protein.

i didn't create this thread for you guys to fight and argue

You might want to read up a bit then. Just search Google for "Ketogenic Diet information" or guides to get a better understanding. Word of mouth, Veeky Forums, and Reddit can be uninformative.

Yeah that's true. I have read up on it a pretty decent amount, I'm thinking that I just started it out wrong or something but either way, I suppose the rate that I'm losing weight at is good enough for me. I just want to get down to 170 and then I'm good. After that, I'll just try eating healthily, snacking healthily, and I'll count my calorie intake. I think I'll be fine to have a small cheat day today

Fuck u looser

>Usually I'll have some tea with cream in it (2 tsp is 2 carbs)
also like 300 calories
for the rest of your day, you're clearly omitting things. I don't believe you eat a can of tuna with absolutely nothing but cucumber slices. I do believe you're probably eating it with some dressing or something else.
>tea
>tuna
>"meat"
>1 cucumber
>almond milk
No one eats like this. No one. Stop crying about us telling you what keto is and take a look at your diet. You would've lost a lot more weight whether or not you're actually in keto if this is what you had actually eaten.

I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that you're eating crackers, salad dressing or hummus, sweetened almond milk, or you're just plain lying about everything.

Be careful. I did keto for 2 months then had a "cheat night" and got a bunch of candy and shit. Short story is I went into a mild hyperglycemic shock and thought I was going to die for about an hour.

Are you using a logger, like MyFitnessPal or Cronometer, and/or measuring the weight/amount of food you're eating? They're good ways to doublecheck, even when you're absolutely certain.
Cutting sugar and carbs and then binging sugar is a good way to kill yourself. By all accounts you should ease back into carbs, and then add sugar back later if at all.

A lesson I learned the hard way. Also carbs are too good.

So why'd you say
> resorts to using your fat storages for energy over anything else
It's not over anything else. Any food you eat will be used first over body fat.
Every calorie-restricted diet depletes glycogen. That comes with calorie restriction. Glycogen is stored during excess feeding.

>It's not over anything else. Any food you eat will be used first over body fat.
No. Your fat cells will be used over protein. Protein is a last measure even when you're completely fasting. Otherwise, people would damage their internal organs and lose all their hair.
>Every calorie-restricted diet depletes glycogen. That comes with calorie restriction. Glycogen is stored during excess feeding.
Proper keto will completely empty your glycogen storages and your liver will break down more fat instead.

Stop trying to google your way out of a thread that really doesn't matter.

That's not healthy

He is probably counting the water weight. It can be up to 20lbs in more extreme cases. Carbs and water retention can go hand in hand. It's one of the reasons why cheat days and slip ups can cause massive water swelling.

Why the fuck would I lie about any of this? I'm looking for help and lying about it would get me absolutely nowhere. I eat exactly 10 cucumber slices with salt on them, I eat one (1) tin of tuna for lunch. I drink unsweetened almond milk with 1 carb per cup. I could take a picture of all this to prove it but if you don't believe me then whatever

Yes it's fine. Replenish your glycogen & shit. It's never good to religiously stay on a diet. It'll give you somethinng to look forward to at first & eventually your body may not even want to. i can't even eat two donuts in one day anymore without being ill

Yeah one thing I've found is I get full a lot quicker, I used to always have 2 plates of food for supper but I'm good for it with one now. Also, the idea of chips and pop aren't even good-sounding to me anymore. The biggest thing I want and have been craving is chocolate so I bought some chocolate turtles. Hell, maybe I'll fast tomorrow to sort of make up for this, idk. I still feel kind of guilty about cheating

It's your life. Don't do it for Veeky Forums assholes you'll never meet in real life who'll call you a cuck over nothing, don't do it for society or whatever, do it only because you want to and you personally like the feeling of being healthier and thinner. Life is short. Do what makes you happy and do what helps you live life happier and fuck everyone else basically. we all get old and ugly and die so make choices that will help you get what you value the most about life, my guy. It aint a religion- it's a diet and thats all

Thanks man, you're absolutely right. I won't die from having a cheat day and I really want one, so I'm doing it. Have a good one, my man

Yeah. Your ratios are probably fine. You're just eating too many calories. Thing is, all the people who lose a lot of weight really fast were really overweight. Weight loss as a person nears ideal weight always slows down unless you delve into possibly dangerous calorie restriction. What's your ideal weight? What was your timeline? the primary calorie-restriction benefit of keto for people who were only a little overweight is it helps to break bad eating habits. Stops your mindless cravings for sugary shit food like cookies and milk chocolate candy. You're gonna fuck it up. It's a useful method, but it's not magic.

As in, you're gonna fuck up at disrupting your former bad eating habits by eating junk food. Psychological self-reward eating bullshit kind of crap.

Yeah that's true. I want to just get down to 170 or maybe even 165. I do still crave chocolate but I think that's just generally because of how little sugar I'm intaking now while on the diet because I also crave fruit and sandwiches. It's really helped me not snack in general and it's also helped me not crave shit like chips and pop

Although, fucking try it as an experiment. Ha. It's pretty funny. You probably will end ketosis. Which is fine. You know how to do it again. Most people forget how sugary shit makes them hungry again a few hours after they eat it. You'll have to have a pretty strong resolve to quit again. I think this is where most of the angry, hopeless fat people shit talking the diet come from. They're all mad they couldn't quit their sugar addictions and they had horrible withdrawal symptoms so they blame it on the cure (cessation). Not everybody has this problem. I don't know you.

Fucking dark chocolate, dude. One or two squares is about all the chocolate most people can handle at once. Don't confuse your cravings for chocolate with your cravings for sugary chocolate. A dark chocolate craving is your body telling you it wants those nutritious micronutrient minerals. Feels very similar to when you crave tree nuts and dark green vegetables. A milk chocolate craving is very often an addictive desire for sugar. Don't give in to that pattern now that you're sitting above it with the ability to choose not to. Lol. Holy shit, this sounds like an AA speech.

I'm gonna blather. A long time ago I was having one of those scary poverty food periods in my life. Most people do at some point in young adulthood. I was getting by mostly on fucking instant ramen noodles. This really helped me sort out cravings for different foods. The deep desire to eat protein and vegetables became very unmistakable. The only time there's a healthy craving for sugar as far as I know is when you're hypoglycemic or you've just run a marathon in glycolysis and your glycogen stores are depleted.

Neither is your mum.
#gotem

Post evidence that dietary protein, even when taken in excess, is used after body fat for energy.
Post evidence that keto uniquely empties all glycogen and/or break down more body fat than another diet with the same amount of calories.

Doesn't keto fuck up your metabolism and slow down your RMR?

It's very possible. Just like calorie restriction triggers "starvation mode" and actually makes you get fatter.

That's a lot of eggs. Do you have to eat them all?

No?
Do you even know what ketosis Is?

There are two eggs there.

OP here
Welp I got high and ate a whole box of cream filled cookies and a whole bag of chocolate turtles and boy do I regret it lol. Today begins a new day of an even more strict keto diet. I'm going down to 20 carbs instead of 30,no more cream in my tea, no more snacking on nuts every night, and I'm drinking more water. I expected the cookies and chocolate to taste like the best things in the world after craving them for so long but they really weren't. At least my craving is gone and i won't be doing it again

>five pounds in one month
You can lose two pounds a week if you cut your caloric intake by 300-500

why isn't milk keto?

Has lots of carbs in it

Yeah I'm going to starting today, I really regret cheating last night :/ that was stupid of me

Unless your starting weight was 100+kg that's not a good thing

Why are you doing this?

This is mostly a myth. Decreasing caloric intake can temporarily slow calorie burning by a few hundred calories, but if you are cutting calories by 1000 a day from maintenance you are gonna lose weight.

No, it doesn't fuck up your metabolism. Since your body has lower leptin lvls because it's on a calorie restricted diet your metabolism slows down. You just need a re-feed day where you eat like 400-600g carbs (depending on your lean mass). Being overweight, not getting enough sleep, and having a lot of stored triglycerides fucks up your brain's sensitivity to leptin and messes with your metabolism a bit.

Cream is fine man. There are a lot of recipes with cream in them. Just limit yourself on the nuts, because they can add up quick. Add in some eggs, bacon, and cream cheese (avocados are great if you can afford them) and you'll be fine. Also, re-feed days are import if you have a decent body fat percentage.

t.retard

Speaking of Keto, what do you guys order at a restraunt?

Have you ever ordered a burger without buns or so on?

>restraunt
This is the food and cooking board, user.
Might want to aquatint yourself with the basics before you post further.

>Veeky Forums - Food & Cooking

pretty sure food is what they serve you at restaurants

Not when your favorite "restaurant" (how it appears on the credit card statement) is a strip bar with private rooms.

>order lettuce wrapped burger
>order lettuce wraps sans noodles
>think about what goes into the food before ordering

it's easy buddy :D

If you are diabetic DO NOT EAT BREAD/PASTA. Keto diets WILL fuck up your glucose if you suddenly introduce something it hasn't had in over a month. You can easilly go to 600-800 Blood sugar in one 30g meal if you're not careful. Consult a doctor before you do anything.

I'm sorry. I may have only been testing out Poe's law there. Might you have been testing it out, too?

Sugar bomb and subsequent insulin dump made you feel like shit? You used to feel like that all the time, but you thought it was normal. Your taste for sweet food is starting to change, too. Weird, isn't it? Cream is low-carb. I put it in my coffee every day. It's fine if you're mindful of its calories.

Surprisingly, you can find something good on most menus. Just tonight I fucking ordered a steak with grilled onions/vegetables at a Mexican restaurant. No subs. I just didn't eat the crappy sides (besides the sour cream and guacamole). I was skeptical because it appeared to be a beans-rice-tortilla kind of place, but there were actually three or four things on the menu. I won the best order award at my table. Everyone was envious. Some really shitty places can be tough.

Go back to fit, I’ll meet ya there.

yeah this is retarded. I eat lots of fat everyday, have no trouble with ketosis, and have lost a ton of weight in only a couple of months.

I don't go past 20g of carbs a day, I'm usually only at 10 or less.

user lost that much because it was water weight. Carbohydrates lock up a lot of water, so when they get used up that's when you see rapid weight loss. Afterwards your weight should decrease at a more normal weight.

You still have to count your calories, boyo. You should be losing 1-2 lbs per week at a steady rate. Shit should be like clockwork if your math checks out. Keto just makes things easier. You can get away with more, but about 8 lbs per month is a solid rate. 5 in a month isn't great.

I'd shoot for about 10 per month. A nice, round decimal makes you feel accomplished, and makes it into a routine. Honestly, I wouldn't go full keto, though. Eating mostly good, healthy fats and protein is good for you, but you should also work out and eat carbs about two hours before hand.

Always expect up to 20lbs of water weight to drop in the first week depending on how heavy you are.
This. A targeted ketogenic diet is probably the ideal diet, but coupled with intermittent fasting would be the ideal diet in my opinion.

OP, don't drop nuts. They are an important part of the keto diet. Aim for at least one serving of macadamias or almonds. If you want cream, use heavy cream. For the water, drink at least 3 litres.

What's a serving?

Really depends on the type of nut. For macadamia nuts, it's 20 pieces. For almonds, it's 28 pieces. The measurement to use to be sure is grams though. You can have more of course, but you just need to remember how high calorie they are. Carbs shouldn't matter too much since they're only 2 net carbs per serving.

I lost 5lbs in 3 days by fasting

This is so wrong. 20 macadamia nuts lol

you're supposed to drop like 10 lbs instantly on keto idiot, your body will get rid of all its glycogen stores, it's not fat loss

sounds like you're eating way too many calories. cico is law. keto or not doesn't matter nearly as much

Yeah I was thinking almonds when I wrote that. To be fair though, it would only be around 400 calories. 12 macadamia nuts is more accurate.

The only problem in this is the beans. Search up how many calories beans and legumes have , they need to go.

It's hilarious these keto fags don't talk to each other after they lose the weight and go back on their fat ass lard diet, as the majority of people who lose weight with keto eventually go back to a carb diet

The majority of you will gain the weight back because you are on a meme Reddit diet

Good for you for cutting out the cream.you get none of healthy benefits of tea and coffee when unless their drunk plain, you'll get antioxidants .

> the majority of people who lose weight with keto eventually go back to a carb diet
Well their entire diet is based on inflicting a disease on themselves.

>the majority will go back to carb diet
No shit, really? It's almost like keto is done for weight loss, and ends like any other weight loss diet.

>t. retard who thinks ketogenesis is ketoacidosis

This happens to everyone that is not ready for a lifestyle change. Hopefully a keto diet will make you reach your goal weight, and secondly help you realize just how much carbs you eat. If anyone expect that they can go back to the same diet they had before keto, and not gain weight, they have to be retarded.

The worst effort in losing weight that I have seen is this fat chick I work with. She drinks herbalife 3-5 times a day, and still eats candy, pizza and drinks beer in the weekends. She has done this for 3 years now, and has not lost any weight at all. I am the only one at the workplace that tries to explain nutrition to her, but she is to stubborn to put any effort in it.

Piggybacking on this thread, looking toward the future what diet would be the best to transition to after hitting your goal weight?

literally just cico

Don't eat sugar, trans fats or highly processed shitfood. Don't overeat. Drink very little alcohol. Eat various things. Eat vegetables. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Ta-Da!