Slav Food

Since I couldn't find a thread to post this in and want to discuss Slavic/Eastern European food.

Pic related, the pelmeni I spent yesterday making.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sorry user no replies.
I love it myself
good job

I had pancakes because of last week's Butter Week

Thanks. Noticed a couple I made earlier ruptured while I boiled them though. Probably made it too thin.

I really want to try making some Chebureki.

What's a simple Slav dish a decent home cook from America can make? Say, for breakfast or an appetizer? Thanks.

I made it a couple times while my friends and I were drinking. It's well worth the time. Did some with ground beef, onions, garlic and pickle and those were good. Did some others with doctor sausage and gouda. Definitely makes you feel better at the end of a night of drinking.

Blins are a pretty good breakfast food. Pelmeni would make a good appetizer if you're willing to put in the effort. Good thing is they freeze very well so you can make a few dozen at a time and keep them for months. Honestly Life of Boris on youtube is an unironic starter guide to slav cooking. Gives a good idea of what to do and you can use that as a jumping off point to modify to your tastes.

I was just gonna make my Chebureks the way Boris did. Sounds like I'm in for a good time

even that plate looks slav, good job.

also look up "Please to the Table". it's a pan-USSR cookbook, pretty sick.

Don't forget to add a splash of vodka to the dough. I can't remember if he did, but I did and it turned out great.

Thanks, will do.

How can I make authentic kvass and smetana at home? I can't buy them anywhere and I don't know what they are supposed to taste like.

Smetana is just sour cream. Boris has a Kvass video though.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc

there is some science behind it actually. It impacts how the flour forms the gluten structure in the dough changing the work-ability and texture once cooked.

I could go for some Blini right about now but I don't have any condensed milk

Op next time try pelmeni kurinye with a creamy garlic mushroom sauce

Latvian black bread is the best bread I ever had, does anybody have a good recipe for it?

who is this boris guy
he sounds like some american pretending to be a russian

IIRC he's actually a slav, but I think he's in one of the Baltic countries

It looks really nice, OP. I'm a sucker for all kinds of pierogi, pyelmyeni, zeppelins/kartacze, blini, the list goes on and on.

tfw I was in SuwaƂki a few weeks ago and I hoped to get some authentic kartacze, but they were all sold out by 3 PM, feels bad man. Ended up getting sushi, which was surprisingly very nice

He's actually an Estonian pretending to be Russian.

Look like some tasty dumplings user. Are those pork? Look like they need some veg on the side and some kind of sauce. Maybe a sausage gravy, or just some mustard for dipping.

I used beef for them, might try pork next time