Back of house blues

Who prep coo/ck/ here? Come here to bitch.

I'll start.

I've just settled into a job at Outback and I am fairly sure that my boss is asking impossible things. Which I'm guessing is normal?

I've worked there for about 1 month, 3 days a week and I'm being asked to do the job that a guy who was there for 2 years was doing and more specifically, to do it as fast as he could.

This isn't doable, for the first half of the month I wasn't even on this station, I rotated between 2 others for weeks because, well because the boss said to.

If its worth anything, I AM doing everything that is asked of me in the time allotted and working nonstop with no whining. Trouble is every week I get more and more added to the plate and I KNOW that my other coworkers are all dealing with the same shit, but they aren't getting the newbie lecture about time management weekly like I am.

The fuck should I do? I'm gonna get fired.

Just get a real job, then.

>I've worked there for about 1 month, 3 days a week

Is this your first cooking job? If not it should only take you a couple shifts to get up to speed. I've trained dozens of people. It doesn't take that long.

should i get a job on a food truck? seems pretty easy, i just don't want to come home every day smelling deep fried.

>it's a cuban food truck

1st prep job. I've worked every other job in a restaurant.

Honestly, I think that I'm the only one actually following health code and properly washing my hands and appropriately changing gloves and even sanitizing my damn station.

Should I just give up on sanitation?

You should report them to the health department, then put in your two weeks.

You are probably right, but I don't think that it will matter in the long run.

How the hell would the health dept. even catch them in the act?

I worked at outback for 7 years, get out now. NOW, while you still can. Outback shithouse is terrible and they want to do terrible things to you.

Tell me more, please.

>10198732
If you do a good job they fuck you and give you more work, managers are lying cocksuckers thieves that meet every year to fuck you then when they get caught say sorry guys we wuz wrong, I am talking higher corporate levels across all states. Want to work up front? No autism or uglies allowed. If you are front of house and they suck into the back you stay there forever. Everyone fucks each other and does blow and gets trashed every night. I cannot express right now how much I hate this corrupt fucking corporation, I have to stop now, my blood pressure is getting too high.

Go on.

no seriously you fuck, the food and service industry is known to be fucking terrible for hours/following labor laws/making money for a reason. you should've known you were getting yourself into this

I kinda did, I was hoping to hear that I am not alone and will eventually either fall in line or be fired.

This insecurity bullshit is the worst.

I trying to help you so fucking much right now my man, I know this restaurant in and out. If you don't believe m it's on you, don't be that user was right guy when you get fucked later. Put in your 2 weeks because you don't know yet but you should just walk out right now. Want to get blacklisted for food service really quickly in your area? Fuck with the outback management.

dude, in and out is overrated.

We are talking about outback steakhouse illiterate retard.

>Want to get blacklisted for food service really quickly in your area? Fuck with the outback management
LMAO what the fuck. They aren't some Illuminati. Outback and Applebees don't talk to each other. The fuck are you on?

Seriously though, don't work at outback.

I appreciate the kind words, I will think on it. Its a tough choice because this job is new and I do like the money.

>Everyone fucks each other and does blow and gets trashed every night.
Sounds like a nice job. There's a hotty at my closest Outback Steakhouse that I'd like to do this with. Maybe I should apply for a job.

Hottie.

I did 2 years and ended up as an assistant manager for another 8 months before I started my own food truck.

Everyone was clean, worked hard and we all got along.
Keep in mind this was in fucking florida aswell.

Our manager was a hard-ass but kept everyone in line. If you did what wasexpected ofyou an you didn't fuck up then it was chill jobto have. 5 hours of hard work, 3 hours of chilling/goofing off.

You got lucky, the Florida outbacks are nice.

There are 3 stations, are they all meant for 1 person? I routinely see the other stations take longer to finish than my own, and I'm apparently too slow.

>Everyone fucks each other and does blow and gets trashed every night.
hey, that doesn't sound so bad

On paper yes, but practically everyone helps out where it's necessary. But that's only viable if everyone has a couple of months experience + the manager knows how to plan his peons in the most efficient way.

My sister and her fiance both work at Outback after getting screwed over by Dave and Buster's. Apparently Outback has more addicts, but D&B had more Mexicans.

>Apparently Outback has more addicts.
You don't know the half of it brother.

From what I can see, there are two worlds at the outback, the white people and the Mexicans.

I'm the new white guy in their land of Prepcook.

That was my experience as well.

>From what I can see, there are two worlds at the outback, the white people and the Mexicans
this is how it is in almost all restaurants, especially in the southwest

exceptions are asian restaurants where it's asians/mexicans and black cities where its whites and less feral blacks up front, blacks in the kitchen and mexicans washing dish

Sort of.
You shouldn't be washing between every task you do unless there's risk of cross-contamination.
I worked as a prep cook and did all the veggie cutting in one go, washed, then did sauces in one go, washed, then did any portioning I needed (meats, toppings, etc.)
Unless you're injured on your hand you shouldn't be wearing gloves until you're handling something incredibly messy or meat. Just wash your hands.

If you love to cook, keep it as a hobby at home. Food industry is not for people who love to cook. There is NO love in the commercial kitchen. This has been obvious for a very long time, in the society we exist in. I love to cook, and that is why it is my hobby, at home.

I am worried that I do care too much and that does make me take slightly longer when following written instructions.

Can anyone confirm?

I love to cook which is why I entered into the food industry. I'm not going to make it a professional thing though, as I'm only doing it to help pay my way through school to become a Vet, but it gives me the chance to work with ingredients with no cost.
As in, not for a customer, but for myself. A person who doesn't like to cook will not last in a kitchen.

he was shilling in and out again.

You love to cook, that is good and nice. But your boss doesn't care if you love to cook, he cares about FAST NOW HURRY THE FUCK UP KID. That is why I didn't go into cooking professionally.

Fair enough. Seems like at least you understand the situation. But guys... you could just learn all of this without school, training, or dickhead chef bosses who hate you more than they hate themselves (the margin is thin there).

Cooking is a wonderful and rewarding hobby. Its a terrible profession.

25 years in the kitchen...it never gets better. So hard to find good kitchen guys these days.

Define good please.

ones that leave before you're supposed to give them a raise.

>"The work is impossible!"
>"I mean, I get everything done that is asked of me, but still, it's like impossible to do all this work!"

See, the trouble is that there is additional work being expected of me weekly.

It is becoming impossible.

If you keep getting more work and you keep getting it all done, I guess you are doing a good job?
Perhaps the rest of your crew are a bunch of slacking stoners and you are the only autist of the bunch who can do more than two things at once.

Honestly, I think that we are all applying an equal amount of work into our jobs. This 3 person station should be a 4 person station ideally.

So true. Worked as a prep cook for almost five years before finding a job in finance. Love to cook but don't miss the restaurant stress.

I doubt they'll fire you especially if you keep getting the work done. They probably see you as a pushover since your the new guy. Prep cook are expected to know everything about the back kitchen. When I was doing night prep, I backed up line cooks and floated on their stations to plate food. There were times I would have to be the dishwasher because the mexicans didn't show up.

>LMAO what the fuck. They aren't some Illuminati.
HURR DURR WHAT IS AN HR DEPARTMENT...
They ask for your Social security for a reason you nigger.

>See, the trouble is that there is additional work being expected of me weekly.
You work for minimum wage idiot.
They can get a hundred of you for cheaper.

I'm assuming that counts for if you want to be a baker/pastry chef too?

So you're saying there's a chance.

baking is not the same as pasty chef is not the same as garde manger.

baking, you're covered in flour and yeast and standing in front of hot ovens all day, trying to manage varying times on all your goods.

garde manger is basically working the line.

pastry chef, on the other hand, takes skill, but you basically are off in your own area, a little island of calm.

PUT IN YOUR TWO WEEKS AND GET A JOB AT A NON-CORPORATE RESTAURANT.

I REPEAT. DO NOT WORK FOR A CORPORATE RESTAURANT CHAIN.