Whisky and hard liquor thread

I was in Costco yesterday and saw they had some of the new batches of Johnnie Walker Green on offer, so I picked up a bottle for $65.00 CDN. By comparison a 750ml (24oz.) bottle of JW black is around 45.00 where I live in Alberta.

It's nice. Not super spicy or peaty, but not too mellow and delicate either.

I finished off a bottle of Lagavulin 16 earlier in the year, and I found by the end the peatiness had lost some of its magic, so this is a nice easy drinking change.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky#Regulations
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/whiskey-s-next-wave-lighter-mellower-made-for-millennials
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alcohol is degenerate

we have a general you stupid fuck
also blue label or bust

>We have a general
No. I want to talk whisky and hard liquor, not the life crippling dependencies and downward spirals some people have from drinking it.

One of the sixty frogposter threads referencing tendies and wagecucks might be more to your taste.

t. wagecuck

OP I didn't read your post but I just wanted to post that I'm way cooler and smarter than you

Kek. This is Veeky Forums in a nutshell.

I am poor but not without taste. This is my go to when I have extra money otherwise it's scoresby.

how do you feel about Laphroaig

Tell us about it.

Never had it
.It's pretty good. I don't think I can describe it to you. It is on the sweeter side though.

I feel wrong eating veggies like they are crying that I'm about to eat them

Had this tonight. It was OK.

Had that before, picked up some bulleit rye and I can definitively say that rye is better. Pick some up if you get the chance.

whisky is for literal soyboys

>blue
so many better options for the price. Green is about the only worthwhile jw

Blue doesn't have an age statement if my memory serves.

Go back to /r/pol.

I've been drinking Nikka from the Barrel recently.
I'm still trying to get used to whiskey, but this is pretty good.

You must be a riot at parties.

Sure bud. Pray tell what manly drink you quaff?

bud lite

tried Buffalo Trace on a 4hour flight last night, pleasant!

folks in the whisky generals kept bringing it up as a really good bourbon for the price and I'm glad I tried.

My nigga. Yeah, its pretty good. Try Four Roses if you haven't already.

I love whisky but JW, all of them tastes like shit to me. Always wondered why Hitchens didn't drink something better when he obviously could afford it.

I don't understand Veeky Forums's hateboner for Johnnie Walker, I mean Red Label is low tier, but Black Label is a decent drink.

How's Lagavulin 16? I've been interested in buying it recently.

What's a good starter whisky that doesn't break the budget? I want to get into drinking harder spirits and whisky has always intrigued me. I've heard crown royal is good, not too harsh, and it's only 20$ for 750ml. I know normies love jack daniels, is that any good or just low tier trash?

If you like whiskey you will probably also like good dark rums. Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva is great stuff.

JD is lowest of trash. Buy a bottle of laphroaig (peaty, smokey) or dahlwinnie (honey, flowers), its a little bit expensiver but worth it, just save some money.

Jack is terrible.

If you want to go crown get the Harvest Rye. A not too terrible 80 proof.

My recommended starter whiskey is Knob Creek. Easy to find, not that expensive, and pretty damn good.

I drink lagavulin 16, laphroaig 10, and balvenie 14 Caribbean cask.

Between the three, I’m pretty sure it covers the bases of my palate

Its really good if you like smokiness. It wore me out a bit by the end of the bottle, but I could see myself getting it again, eventually.

Which knob creek do you prefer? Looking on their site they seem to have, bouron, rye, maple smoke flavor (which is 90 proof), and single barrel reserve which is 120.

My order of preference is Rye, 120, 100. But I would recommend getting the 100 first. The rye is extremely spicy, and the 120 has serious kick.

Never tried the maple stuff, sounds vile.

Anyone tried Bank Note?

underage /pol/ faggot get out

JOHNNY WALKER, BLUE LABEL, SECOND HARVEST OOOOOOOOOOYEAH

JW Blue is the fucking biggest scotch meme ever, for what you pay you get complete shit

JW Blue isn’t terrible, but it’s price point makes or breaks its worth. My liquor store carries it at $160/bottle, which isn’t too bad. If you spend over $200 for it, you’re a stupid asshole. There are so many better whiskies at that level, and I’m not even taking about the meme single malt that is Macallan.

Today I picked up Tomatin 14, and I already finished 1/4 of the bottle. It’s an incredibly smooth and flavorful scotch that goes down much easier than I expected.

AWWWWW JESUS CHRIST YOU SICK SON OF A BITCH

>he can buy scotch at Costco
Being Ontario is suffering

Cool, I'll give it a shot next weekend.

Prefer Irish whiskies because they often cost less than a lot of Scotches.

This thread has caused me to read up on some of the differences between whiskeys. It seems like Irish Whiskey has less limitations on what it has to be / go through in order to be called "Irish Whiskey."

>in order to be called "Irish Whiskey."
ergo less time in the barrel and less overhead to pass on

OP here. Ironically where I live Redbreast is as much as a decent single malt. Shame because its so good.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky#Regulations
>To improve marketability, it may contain caramel colour and flavouring, in addition to the distilled mash spirits.
Canadian whiskey has way fewer limitations than Irish whiskey does. Literally brown vodka, not whiskey.

Redbreast 12 is $42 US at my local Total Wine. Not super cheap, but at least it's not $50+ like it is at the local packies. If only they could lower the price of Green Spot, I would be happy.

Some are really good, others are real shit. I wish the Canadian government would tighten up the regulations concerning whisky.

Is Green Spot pretty good?

Is this an argument for or against?

*cans.wav*

fugg that, at my total wine it's $53 ($66-67 after taxes). green spot is actually a few bucks cheaper. i've really wanted to try both, but haven't had either yet.

Haven't tried them, but the few Canadian single malts and actual ryes I've seen intrigue me.
And Green Spot is good, I just prefer the biscuit/butter notes of Redbreast.

God Tier Whisky my dude. I love the taste of this and the Coffey Grain

>expensiver

I have an unopened bottle of it waiting for the right time. Would it be acceptable to drink it with ice, or should I drink it neat only?

Fuck off WTH generals faggot its killing Veeky Forums

Losers like you desperately holding onto a idealized vision of a Veeky Forums that never actually existed is what is killing Veeky Forums.

Blue Label sucks balls. Id rather buy Teachers before touching Blue Label, god what a massive letdown that whisky is.
You have done well my brother
Seconding Four Roses, especially the single barrel
Northern Harvest is 90 proof or is it 80 in America?
Ghost is such a fag
>HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME SHOOTING MACALLAN 18! I GOT SOO RICH OFF OF CRYPTO I TOTALLY DIDNT LOSE THOUSANDS AND THIS MACALLAN IS DEFINITELY REAL I PROMISE!
Fuck him.
I wouldn’t even pay $50 USD for Blue much less $150. Like good lord the stuff tastes like a slightly older Black Bush, how the fuck can anyone justify that price point when you can get Bunna 18 which is 100 times better.
Generals are cancer and so are you

go away

>Green label
>Label isn't green
What did they mean by this?

you're color blind

Is Canadian Club a good introduction to Canadian whisky?

Their regular rye is decent. Their "Chairmens Select" 100% rye is really good if you can get ahold of it in your area.

i want a fruity-tasting whisky, something

>That hand

...la creatura

Drinking JWB is like a beautiful woman sitting in your lap, blowing cigar smoke into your mouth.

Working mans hands, my dude.

kill yourself

Finally got my hands on a bottle of this stuff and boy is it a treat.

my melanin-rich brethren.

i've got a bottle of four roses single barrel and small batch in my liquor cabinet now.

*blocks your path*

you like scotch? you like paying less than 20bux for it?

WELCOME TO TRADER JOE'S!!

apparently, millenials are changing the whisky industry
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/whiskey-s-next-wave-lighter-mellower-made-for-millennials
make of that what you want.

How do you do, fellow kids?
My supermarket should soon have hard liquors 25% off, so I'm tinking about grabbing meself another bottle of whisk(e)y.
Currently I have and Laphrrrrrghrghgh Quarter Cask.
The Speyburn I didn't really like too much at the beginning, but now that it has oxidised a bit, it's quite OK. The Laphroigh is kinda meh. Used to love the 18yo, back when it was not a meme and somewhat affordable, but the QC is rather underwhelming. But it IS peaty…
What would be the opposite of Laphroigh in the €30 to €60 price bracket? Not totally opposed to blends, but I'd prefer a single malt, for supremem gentleman reasons of course…
I'd like to give bourbon a try, but that shit is hard to get in europe. Had some Jim Beam Single barrel a while ago, and that shit was vile. I guess gentleman Jack is the same crap, and I haven't yet seen other bourbons here, besides standard jack and jim, but I'm not 16 anymore, so… nope.

>drinking blended meme whisky
why even live

>The Frog
It's only the greatest scotch ever distilled.

>What would be the opposite of Laphroigh in the €30 to €60 price bracket?
Glenmorangie

How does it feel to know that you have the most incorrect opinion in the history of the human race?

If you want to try bourbon do your best to get either Bookers or Bakers, as a red blooded american I can assure you those are the two best bourbons in the world, if you want to figure out if it's for you definitely start there.

Sounds intersting. Why would you consider them the opposite?
I'll see if I can find them. From what I have read, there seems to be a whole universe of nice spirits under the bourbon "label", but sadly, it's fronted by Jim Daniels and Jack Bean for some overpriced "muh gentleman cowboy" meme firewater.

Come on. That's just your opinion. Also, there's huge variation in their different ages and NOS bottlings.

Yeah, Jim Beam owns both of them, you can either accept that it's a giant retarded conglomerate that still makes some palatable shit, or drown your tears in what is usually hit or miss super local shit. If it's any consolation Jim Beam has at least figured out that they have no fucking clue what they're doing so they don't touch the shit they acquire.

There is a pretty decent bourbon made near me, but it is only sold in stores, and only in Missouri so you're pretty SOL there. It's called Defiance Whiskey, not great but solid for the price.

crown royal has a few different flavors, one of them might be up your alley. i like the apple one.

iirc beam does a black cherry flavor

Bleach isn't. Try some. To really get the taste right it's best to chug a whole gallon at once.

Those are NOT the best Bourbons in the world, but they are solid, if overpriced.

My best all around pick is Blanton's for regular proof, and over proofed would be knob 120. Overall picks counting value as a variable. If price is no object then we can get crazy.

I tried the bakanite plum brandy the other day.
I might start larping as a barbarian with stone axes and animal pelts if i continue to drink it.
Opens up your appetite and kills every germ in your mouth and throat.
Like a hot spicy burrito coming out, but the other way around.
Godforbidd you get drunk from it.
Its the closest thing to battle drugs

Yes, its fuckin delicous.

>bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/whiskey-s-next-wave-lighter-mellower-made-for-millennials
GOD DAMN IT I FUCKING HATE MY GENERATION, FUCKING PUSSY BRAINWASHED COCKSUCKERS.

>degenerate
>nigger xD

Current collection, not pictured is some triple sec and vodka. Peychauds is necessary, really upped my Sazerac game. I picked up some Evan because it's cheap as shit and works great for whiskey sours, and I don't wanna kill shitloads of bulleit and buffalo trace if I'm mixing it anyway.

Saw this at the liquor store the other day
>Wisconsin Straight Bourbon Whiskey
>Wisconsin
This should be illegal.

Eagle Rare, which is the same mash and distiller but aged for 10 years, is absolutely amazing for the price point.

Friend's bachelor party is coming up and he likes gin. He doesn't drink much anymore. Never been fond of it myself but I want to get him a bottle of something good.

In my minimum amount of google searches I have seen Hendricks Gin come up. Any reccs or information is appreciated. Thanks

Hendricks is good. Citadelle is good. Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray Ten are both good if you want to spend a little less on a bottle.

Aviation and The Botanist are highly recommended, although I haven't tried them myself.

It's my favorite scotch. I like it neat, no water. Love that it makes the whole room smell good. Smells bad to people not drinking it, which is an additional plus imo.

Are you me?

I'm killing redbreast lately. It's complex but so smooth and easy.

Damn. $72 at my total wine. Where the fuck do you guys live?

Bombay and Tanqueray I've seen him drink. The others I've only become aware of through looking around. Probably going to come down to what's available when I grab the bottle on Thurs. Thanks user