/BEER/ THREAD CU/CK/S

Official /beer/ thead, fellas.

Already, I anticipate the buttfluster and hate at pic related. Sceptics and hairsplitters can suck my cock. 120 Minute IPA was not a disappointment at all. Pricy? Yes. But given the means of production, I feel like that's all justified. Very sweet for IPA, but that's inevitable, because it has to balance out. 9/10 would buy again.

P.s. What are the benefits of aging this?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/brewdogs-new-hotel-will-have-taps-in-every-room.html
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you started this thread for a fight, you're off to a poor start. 120 minute is a good beer in general, though a poor example of an IPA becaus the high ABV and strong malt smother the hop character. It would've been more honest to label it as a barleywine/strong ale.

>"the perfect beer doesn't exi-"

I hated 120 minute. It was sickeningly sweet yet somehow still had some bitterness to it. Just a mess of a beer imo.
That barrel aged Rasputin is a 10/10 beer though

I'd say it's more an IPA on a technicality. Besides, the hop notes are much more persistent in there, I think, than a strong ale, and contribute to the sweetness same as the alcohol. There's more hop flavor to this than bitterness, but that's just what I'm getting from it.

Coors tastes like it belongs in a green bottle.

Have you had the bourbon barrel aged, yellow label? If so, what are the differences?

Just bought this last week. Don't know what to expect.

I didn't understand perfection until I had a coors fatboy from an icebox in colorado in some saloon lookin place with several feet of snow outside. Nearly came from the first sip.

It's my go to comfy beer for when it's cold out. Top tier when paired with greasy barfood/wings

What style is it?

Posted this in the last thread but drinking more of it and really liking it. Best rum flavor I have ever gotten in a beer

>What are the benefits of aging this
Its basically a barleywine, so it should age well

Who else thinks hazy beer is just poorly brewed bullshit?

its not, its actually relatively hard to package very hazy beers and get them to stay that way. Thats why most of the most highly regarded NEIPAs are from brewers with hype machines behind them that sell like the day after it is canned with strict limits

also, filtering in general is good for shelf life but bad for flavor when fresh

>Filtering to reduce haze

Fucking extract kit memebrewer. You do proper protein rests and cold crash to remove haze. I never filter and never have haze.

I love hazy beer. Unless it's a wheat, which I don't like.

I was going to start my own thread to start a fight, but seeing as this thread is here...

How far off base would I be if I brewed a Maibock-like ale, and aged 6-12 pints of it until October for something of a Festbock Kolsch for metric thanksgiving/Octoberfest pre-drinks with two or three other basement brewers?

Should I just say fuck it and drink it all in April/May when it's rounded itself off?

I'm referring to the macro brewers.

It looks like it's on the lees, so it should round out any harsh flavours, and make the hops a bit less better (as long as you age it in a cool, dark place... eventually it will taste soapy or skunky if you age it warm or in the light).

The fuck extract kit homebrewer filters their beer? This is an absurd misinterpretation

am i gay for liking this?

The same-sex sex is what defines it, but this is probably a symptom.

Gonna walk to a nearby bar tapping a keg of this soon

Couldn't tell ya. I had barrel aged Rasputin on tap at a local place. Didn't say anything about it being a specific batch if I remember right

I want this so fucking badly. When's the next batch coming out? Not sure if the stores around me carry it.

How do I learn to like beers that aren't IPAs?

What do you not like about beers that aren't IPAs?

60 and 90 minute are among my favorite beers but 120 is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever tasted. Incredibly overrated and overpriced. It's novelty of being super high percentage wears thin quickly. And yes, I did age it. About 2 years. 2 fucking years I waited to drink this shit.

Either too bland or too sweet. Also, Lagers/Pilsners have a flavor in them that I can never pin down, but it always rubs me the wrong way. I used to drink them all the time, but after I started liking IPAs, I started noticing the flavor and I've never been able to go back.

I also like darker beers, but the ones I like, I feel like I can only drink once in a while because they are so rich.

Pretty new to beer. Veeky Forums's thoughts on pic related?

Try some specialty hopped lagers. They're all over the place

>"why yes I do enjoy IPAs"

I don't know, maybe years, but I just had 3 full pours of it and spent quite a bit more than I expected

CBS is the most overrated shit ever

eh, it pretty good

tastes exactly like KBS

>But given the means of production.
Is all of your life based on perceived efficiency? You have limited knowledge of the inner workings of that brewery. Your claim is as preposterous as you are.

thats not exactly a bad thing. but I disagree, was significant maple character

>was significant maple character
there was literally none

>Dogfish
Enjoy your saliva beer.

Had some last night. KBS too. The joys of living a few miles from founders.

sceptics

>Known spit beer,
>Skeptics.
>Can't even spell skeptics right.
Back to facebook/reddit/wherever your dumbass came from.

Well the first time I had it I thought it was really good, but less maple than I was hoping, but I had a bunch more today and it was rather mapley

The chicha they made? So what?

"Quadrupel" IPA with Raspberry

All I'm saying is the work gone into the beer, plus the ingredients, the price seems reasonable. I thought it was delicious despite that. Besides, I was reluctant in the beginning because I'm usually contrary.

what's this stuff actually taste like, i've always been too scared to buy it. it's not cider, right? it's like apple-y beer? sounds disgusting. why not just buy cider or beer

if you like coffee try some founders stouts

This is a good beer, same goes for Budweiser Budvar. It is a drinking beer though, dont expect anything to fancy.

I have around 15L of Pilsner that is carbonating, which I made with yeast from my workplace (work at the storage section of my local brewery). The yeast contains alot of ester, which gives the beer a fruity flavour.

I also have around 20 L of Bayer that is fermenting. I am very excited to see how it turns out, we managed to keep the temperature stable while meshing. I think I will try to make a 10 L of stout this weekend, and let it ferment for 4-6 weeks before I let it carbonate until fall.

>hairsplitters can suck my cock.
But it's not hair splitting.
Whatever. It's a well respected beer. I haven't tried it in over... 10 years (more) but I remember it being NOT an IPA.
Enjoying pic related. For a couple years now. Price just went up to $11/6pack at the 7-11. Sucks.
I worked at a place that got a corny of their fresh hop a couple years ago. Holy shit...

"It tastes a lot like Budweiser but like not shitty and actually good" to quote my friend's girlfriend

>"IPAs are overrated garbage"

Someone actually took the time to make that image.

got my hands on some KBS recently, and I don't understand all the ruckus about it
yes it's good, but it's nothing worth all the hype it gets compared to other imperial stouts that are just as good

It's like hopslam. At the time of it's initial release it was a big deal and one of the few really big barrel aged stouts around. Now everyone makes them, but people still believe in the hype.
Apple brandy noir from prairie is the only stout I'll actively seek out when it's released

this looks nice, I never had any brandy barrel aged stouts before
since I live in France, there are more wine barrel aged beers available than brandy barrel aged ones

If its more than $0.02 a milliliter its not worth it.

On the off chance that any of you live in or know London pretty well, does anyone know of any good shop for harder to find/craft beers? Ordering online is all well and good most of the time, but when I don't want to wait or want to avoid delivery costs a shop would be useful.

>buying IPAs that have been on the shelf longer than a month since their production date
>buying IPAs that have been shipped halfway across the country in questionable thermal conditions instead of buying it local to ensure quality aroma and taste

Why do people do this?

>drinking IPAs

Why do people do this?

Some people actually like the taste of beer.

I'm with you. Some do okay for a month or two though. I think centennial hops last for a decent amount of time. Citra and mosaic should be fresh though

Had this two weeks ago, probably in the top 3 best barrel-aged beers I've ever had. Probably the best whiskey-barrel aged beer I've drunk in my life so far. So slick and tasty and yet you can taste some leathery tannins that comes from the barrels that is reminiscent of a decades-old wine.

It's a bit pricey, but so so worth it. Will probably get another bottle to age next time I go to buy some beer. Bless you Scotland.

Depends on your part of London you live in, but Kill The Cat is a new bottle shop that's opened on Brick Lane and it's impressive

Where I live is all IPAs all the time. We have breweries on every corner, then bars with their beer everywhere else. I like a good IPA here and there but now I truly appreciate ale.

I fucking love ale.

Rye ale is my new favorite.

Who /Pilsner/ here?

I love beer ice cold
Frosty mugs

Usually not a fan and stick to DIPAs, Bocks and Sours... then i go to hot countries and im absolutely gasping for a cold crisp light lager. Frosted mugs of asahi got me through a japanese summer visit.

Good lager is hard to get. American lager ruined a lot of it. Smells and tastes like stomach acid. Oddly enough I've gotten into Corona with lime because of it. I usually drink heavy beer but when I want to drink like a fish I need something I can chug down without consequence when it's 95 degrees.

I'd love a recommendation on something else.

same here. if a brewery's or even a liquor store's beer output is at least 1/3 IPA, then I lose respect for it.

I don't mind IPAs, a good IPA on a hot summer's day is refreshing as hell, but just hate how it's overproduced and I think a delicious malty ale or stout blows any IPA out of the water

i can't stand corona personally but maybe the bottle i tried was skunked

my go-to summer beers are like, fruity wheat beers and belgian whites

I don't think stouts or malt driven ales are even comparable to ipas and just reflect your own personal preference

thoughts on these guys?

I'm not trying to pretend it's good beer. But it's different and tasty with lime, salt. I only drink it because I can drink three gallons of it before I have to piss.

Heffs and fruit beers are the same as an IPA to me on hot days. I don't like light beers which is why I just go to corona, since i do like it. I can drink them all night too. Heavy beer I'll pass out.

America needs better lagers.

yeah i'm not attacking you for corona not being real, good beer or whatever it's just that the one time i tried it it was absolutely caustic, about as bad as steel reserve

It was about $0.05 per mL, I think, I didn't actually measure my pour size
A bit more than I was expecting, but I don't regret it

I want to try them in the US but I have to either import or go to God's Blindspot, aka Ohio

>America needs better lagers

I've noticed a lot of breweries are making lagers now to try to pander to normies. I'm having some of Founder's Solid Gold right now and it's okay. It'd be a good summer lawnmower beer but it kinda just reminds me of how much founders sold out now

Beer tastes like shit!

where'd you find this one?

tastelet spotted

An Italian grocery store in Milwaukee, I was there for a sandwich and lucked into it being in stock, must have just come in earlier that day

>Founder's Solid Gold
it's pretty decent, nothing special. That's basically how it goes with lagers since you cant mmeme them up with zany flavors and hops. It's just pure beer.

it tastes pretty good. think apple juice with alcohol. not beer

so then it's like cider, but worse? sorry i just don't see the point

What's the best cheap bear that still tastes somewhat decent? Is it PBR?

that tastes like beer, or that you can drink easily? important distinction

Both I guess? I'm not sure what you mean

bud light platinum has almost no flavor to it at all, it's pretty much carbonated water, but it's 6% alcohol and really easy to drink.

so i wouldn't call it good beer, but it's a decent alcohol delivery system.

compare that to like, steel reserve, which tastes vile

my favorite cheap beer though is olde english

>beer
Soymilk of alcoholic beverages

Mixed
I like their beers, and they do some cool shit like this
pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/brewdogs-new-hotel-will-have-taps-in-every-room.html
but then they have their cringe labels and acted like assholes about the whole ballast point/ship wreck thing

>America needs better lagers.
I've read that lagers are one of the most difficult beer styles, so that's probably an indictment on the skill of American brewers.

Depends on the lager

Go on.

>one of the most difficult beer styles

You're thinking of macro rice adjunct lagers like Budweiser, which are ridiculously difficult to reproduce at home. There's nothing inherently difficult about lagers, they just take a lower fermentation temperature and a longer time. But you're probably one of those, "hurr, ipa is for people who can't make good beer so just cover up their flaws with hops" fags, aren't you?

Some lagers are easier to brew than others. That's why most garbage beer is lager and not ale

The only drink worth drinking.

>said no one ever

Wrong

Lager is easier to brew with cheaper ingredients, most macro lager has a turn around of a week which involves no lagering at all and shouldn't really be classed as a lager.

Lagers aren't exactly difficult to make and make well, a lot of smaller breweries tend to not make them outside of marzens in the fall because why take two months to make one batch of beer when you can make four in that time period.

>some lagers are easier to brew than others
>lager is easier to brew with cheaper ingredients
Okay

Brewing a beer like Budweiser actually takes a lot of skill.
I know most people knock it for being flavourless piss water but it's actually done pretty well.
Any off taste has nowhere to hide in a beer like Budweiser.
The Japs have boring beers perfected down to a fine art. try a can of Sapporo next time you want to be bored to sleep.