What the fuck is a broiler? I really want to know...

What the fuck is a broiler? I really want to know. The only time I've ever broiled something was when I was 15 and trying to reheat fried chicken. I was told to like put it in the oven and dab it with wet napskins or spray it with water or oil so it doesn't dry out, and then to put it under the broiler for 2 minutes. In all of 45 seconds under the broiler the chicken skin had caught on fire and I've never used it ever again.

Other urls found in this thread:

legacy.sweetmarias.com/roast.carlstaub.html
nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6D.pdf
surewise.com/appliance-insurance/articles/guide-oven-symbols-functions/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's just another method to sear things. It's useful for sauces, cheese, etc where you want to blacken it a bit without burning directly onto a pan.
If I could have any professional kitchen item, I'd probably take a super high temp broiler.

All these terms still confuse the shit out of me.
>broiling
>grilling
>roasting
>sauteing
>pan frying
>poaching
>boiling
I don't think we have this many names for different kinds of cooking in my native language.

So why did it set my chicken on fire? Like I had put it in the poured myself a drink and looked back and smoke was billowing out of my stovetop and i open it and the entire skin is black and the chicken was on fire, within seconds D:

How do I use it safely?

Definitions and demonstrations for all these techniques are literally a google away.

Also, it appears your native language betrays a complete lack of cooking acumen.

>So why did it set my chicken on fire
Because it's an upside-down grill. In fact, it's called a grill in some countries. It's very high omnidirectional heat, and it ignited the fat in your chicken.

>Broiling
High indirect heat from above, like the OP image, it's a high flame at the top of the stove.

>Grilling
Typically associated with a "grill", which is a metal grate with an open flame under it, typically just meat and vegetables, it's where you get those "grill marks" which are black lines from where the metal contacted the food during grilling.

>Roasting
Dry heat in an oven, if you were to add liquid it would be stewing or braising instead of roasting.

>Sauteing
In a pan with with some kind of fat and high heat.

>Pan frying
Same as above basically.

>Poaching
Put in hot water until almost cooked, like a poached egg, raw egg cracked straight into hot water until the outside is cooked.

>Boiling
Nigga you trolling.

>broiling
high heat from above
>grilling
high heat from below
>roasting
medium ambient heat
>sauteing
cooking chopped pieces of food in a shallow pan with a small amount of oil
>pan frying
cooking food in a high sided frying pan with a medium amount of oil. like deep frying but the food isn't fully submereged
>poaching
cooking in liquid at 160-180F
>boiling
cooking in liquid at 212F
there's also simmering, which is cooking in liquid around 200F

Thanks.

>Nigga you trolling.
No, I just named it because it's just one letter away from broiling but apparently means something completely different.

What's braising btw? Forgot that one.

>in my native language
>explaining it in fahrenheit
kill yourself amerifaggot

braising is when you sear and then submerge your food in some kind of flavorful liquid and cook it with low heat (either oven or stove or even open flame) for a long period of time. it breaks down meat and vegetables so they're tender.

you forgot:
baking

Seared at high heat then cooked at relatively low temperature in liquid

If you're too dumb to google "200F in C," then you're too dumb to cook. Maybe /r/tendies is more your speed, retard.

what's the difference between baking and roasting.
I use the same oven to do both.

Google ruins healthy human interaction. Maybe I'm mentally old, but I like the teacher-student interaction.

Baking is things made out of batter and dough cooked in an oven. Roasting is stuff like meat and vegetables.

Don't mind that fag, converting F2C is easy.

but i've baked a ham.

It may confuse when you find people talking about grilling as a dry heat from above, from commonwealth sources. Broiler doesn't really exist there in common language

You were roasting it. Baking and roasting are literally the same thing but with different foods.

>You were roasting it.
nobody ever says "roast a ham"
It's always "bake a ham"

It's literally all semantics and doesn't really matter.

There's also deep frying. flame grilling, barbecuing, but those can't be easily mistaken, probably.

well you can say deep frying is frying
and barbecue is also known as smoke roasting.
flame grilling, do they have a special tool/ technique for that?

there is also rotisserie.
Aka true roasting.

That's indeed the kind of grilling I know. Then again, there's a lot of different kind of grills/grilling all named grilling here.

Is it true that Brits call outdoor grilling "barbecuing" and call cooking food low and slow with smoke "nothing" because they don't do it?

>it's a high flame at the top of the stove.

*oven. Stove is the burners on top of the oven.

If your oven and stove are one unit, you're poor.

So which is it, tripfag?

EU-but non UK-fag here. That's what we call barbecuing indeed, but we love to smoke stuff here too, especially fish.

Those are the technical definitions, but technically you're doing the exact same fucking thing.
Aren't your smoked foods usually cold smoked?

Yes,.a $6000 Miele rangetop is certainly a poor person appliance.

>Those are the technical definitions, but technically
Damn tripfag you're retarded.

You still only have one oven. What do you do when you need to cook two things in the oven at different temperatures at the same time?

>cold smoked
Never heard of this. I'm pretty sure that's not how most stuff here is smoked though. Maybe the English do it like that, they tend to be weird.

That was on purpose, jackass. Read a book.

It's better to ask an aussie I guess, who calls the flame above meat a grill but loves the barbie in summer, and also does a bit of the american style low and slow on the coals. They might just call it firing up the webber after the popular brand

I'm writing a book called "the rage of the tripfag"
Keep giving me good source material.

i hate to get pedantic but you make baked ham by roasting a ham.

No you bake it in the oven, just like cookies.

god i fucking hate tripfags, plz kill yourself

>What do you do when you need to cook two things in the oven at different temperatures at the same time
Plan better.

yeah but when you do that to a ham it's roasting.
i understand that it involves doing the same shit with your oven. the difference is in the chemical process: roasting and baking imply totally different reactions. here's some links for you lazy people.
legacy.sweetmarias.com/roast.carlstaub.html
nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6D.pdf

>he doesn't know the difference between roiling and boiling.

>yeah but when you do that to a ham it's roasting.
no it's baking in the oven.

Dude you literally linked to a coffee place on roasting. You dumb fucker. Lmao did you click "I feel lucky" on your google search? dumbass.

at the place i work at we have a big gas grill next to a flat top grill with 2 salamanders up above them. my boss calls the gas grill the 'broiler' which confused me. cause you hear about 'char-broiling' stuff so i dunno. is there a connection between that and broiling something in an oven?

Did you read the thread?

The salamander is the broiler
but burger king calls their grill a broiler too.

yeah thats what im wondering about, why are grills like that sometimes refered to as charbroilers or whatever.

grilling is a U.S. term.
Was he trained outside of the us?

Because it's the exact same thing from different directions.

he worked in mexico as a young man but is from san diego. he's an older guy, in his 60s. really smart dude, not an old douche.

yeah, i'm not sure, but if I were to guess there is a translation issue and in mexico everything is a broiler if you can cook on the flame without a pan. But in the U.S. we say broiler to differentiate it from grilling, so direction only matters in the states.

>roasting/baking is the same thing

They are. Same technique, different ingredients.

damn, this must be a U.S. school.
it lists sauting but not searing.
So i guess I have to saute a steak.

dosn't matter,
bake a ham
roast coffee.

"baked ham" is a linguistic anomaly

You don't roast bacon in the oven either.
You bake bacon.
PRODUCT doesn't matter.

>Broil
It’s basically like a reverse grill (without touching). You stick the food very near a very hot heat source with no protection so you get direct heat.
>Grilling
You stick the food on a grill (generally the outdoors kind). Typically uses propane or charcoal (with lighter fluid) for heat. Direct open flame cooking.
>Roasting
You put food in an oven where the heat builds up and cooks your food. Food doesn’t directly touch a heat source.
>Sauté
Similar to pan frying (can be used somewhat interchangeably). Generally stirring stuff around in a pan over a medium or higher heat. The idea being softening, browning, etc.
>Pan fry
Sometimes used interchangeably with sauté but sauté doesn’t imply fat (oil/butter) used whereas frying does.
>Poach
Boil/steam in a small layer of water/liquid.
>Boil
A whole pot of water and you just drop the food in and let it cook.

>Boil/steam in a small layer of water/liquid.
This is wrong. Stop giving out wrong information. It has everything to do with temperature and absolutely nothing to do with liquid content.

>sauté doesn’t imply fat
Poach
>Boil/steam in a small layer of water/liquid.
Way off on those.

This should be the Veeky Forums banner because it's amazing

You grill a steak you moron. Searing tends to be more of a finish than an actual complete method of cooking. You can sear something under a broiler, in a pan or on the grill. It really just refers to a high heat applied in order to quicken the maillard process with little to no fat added. Really it's you the translation issue. "Searing" a steak usually refers to unconventional cooking methods, like sous vide or oven baked steaks where you would need to sear them before or after in order to get a nice crust. On a grill it happens as part of the cooking process

Searing is an integral part of braises and stews you absolute retard.

>You grill a steak you moron.
stopped reading after that.
Searing is not cooking through. You can only sear the outside of food.

I've never fucking heard "baked ham" in my life.

I'm sure you've never seen a pussy either.

Maybe it’s a regional thing.

Mainly Thanksgiving, Christmas or an Easter thing for my family. You can buy it at the deli for sandwiches.

>Saute

What defines something as sauteed rather than pan-fried is the degree of done-ness. It would be like a quick stir fry with less oil (jumped constantly/regularly off the side of the pan, hence the name) - onions are translucent but not brown, veggies retain some crispness... bacon can be sauteed, but it is essentially just heated at that point, not really cooked.

>Google ruins healthy human interacction

maybe for you. kys.

whats the difference between poaching, braising, stewing, and simmering?

poaching is to cook by simmering in a small amount of liquid - like raw eggs in enough water to cover them, fish in wine and butter that might come halfway up, or duck in its own rendered fat.

braising is browning something (especially meat), then cooking it in a closed container with liquid - like roasting some lamb and veggies for a few mins in a dutch oven, then pouring in a bit of stock, and covering it so everything stays moist.

Stewing is very similar to braising, but the end result tends to be more liquid (like browning small chunks of lamb with some veggies, and adding liquid to stew it all in a covered dutch oven, or pot to make stew or even soup).

Simmering is similar to poaching, but the amount of liquid (usually water in this case) isn't clearly defined. You're not going for a full boil - just enough heat in a liquid environment to cook your food. Such as simmering endive with garlic

Just to add to the confusion, there is a simmering stage to all of these things.

>poaching is to cook by simmering in a small amount of liquid
that's braising.

Put the rack lower so the food is further away from the coil, dummy.

>Google ruins healthy human interaction
Why would anyone want to interact with you, though?

please do not listen to he is retarded
Poaching is cooking in liquid at 160-180 degrees, and simmering is cooking in liquid just below a boil, about 200 degrees. Neither has anything to do with how much liquid you use.

Have you ever read your fucking oven manual?
The non-gas equivalent of the broiler would be the grill.

surewise.com/appliance-insurance/articles/guide-oven-symbols-functions/

you were probably touching the chicken directly to the flame like the dumbass you are

many stove broilers have non adjustable racks.

>forgetting Liberia and Myanmar also use Imperial

I had sausages under the grill catch fire once, hadn't seen a grease fire before. Shit was scary so I just closed the oven door and switched off power.

>amerilards really are in good company with measurements!
I'se luvs mah Liberian 'n Myanmar recipes, sho' nuff!

>watching a britbong cooking show
>they put things under the """"grill""""

Can any anglo here explain themselves?

It's one of those things where Americans have decided to use a different word to the rest of the world so that they can feel unique and make shitty attempts at banter

grill is an american term, dumbass
Brits are using it incorrectly.

Grilling is direct dry heat from above or below. Broiling is the uniquely American term when it is above

Uhm no sweetie, broiling is direct dry heat from above or below, Grilling is uniquely American term when it is below.

Pretty much

t. bong

broilers also will make a bunch of smoke if you haven't cleaned your oven recently, as it's fire near the ceiling of your oven, which is already covered in grease

Sounds like an important distinction. God, I wish I was American.

I steam my hams

Smokehouse temperatures for cold smoking are typically done between 20 to 30 °C (68 to 86 °F). In this temperature range, foods take on a smoked flavor, but remain relatively moist. Cold smoking does not cook foods. Meats should be fully cured before cold smoking.

B R O A S T
R
O
A
S
T