What's the best molcajete to buy? Should I get the lava rock looking one or a machine ground looking one

What's the best molcajete to buy? Should I get the lava rock looking one or a machine ground looking one.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/MASON-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-5-5-Inch/dp/B00EAU5VQE
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00133MN76
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lava rock, I got me mums one that's like 30 or 40 years old.

I like pic related best myself. It's got a heavy pestle and if you're doing it right then that's what the pestle is supposed to do against the mortar. The pestle is supposed to do the work. It's a Thai one and not technically a molcajete but it certainly get's the job done.

The Thai pestles have a rounded bottom and be used used to both smash and grind, but the flat bottom on the pestle of a molcajete doesn't seem as useful.

I guess it also depends on what you want to use it for. I've never tried this but I've read that a coffee grinder will work for dried things as well, it can be cleaned out by grinding dry white rice afterwards.

This will probably be mostly for salsa as I hate using the blender.

see if you can still find this one anywhere, it's the best

$75 and they don't show the pestle? That seems really excessive for what it is, takes 3 weeks for delivery and there's no mention of delivery fees.

Lava rock is the only real type. Everything else is fake and will just put cement in your food. Make sure to season it very well. Also, if it is granite, it is a normal mortar and pestle, not a molcajete y tejolote. Don't be fooled by cement fakes.

If you need a mortar and pestle, just get one. I have a huge granite mortar and pestle and a huge molcajete y tejolote. I use them for totally separate things.

Not lava rock, molcajete y tejolote.

Not lava rock, molcajete y tejolote.

Mah niggah!

jeb's a mess, but those digits are checked.

Mine at lasted for years and years. The outside wasn't ground and the inside was. I never noticed a ding on anything on the inside and that's where it matters. The outside it rough to make it easier to carry.

I only lost it because of a bad move. I got that from a Thai guy for like $25 and thing was heavy carrying that around with my ex.

Fuck $75 bucks for that Mexican one.

I don't care if it's lava rock, it might have been, but does it really matter if it's getting the job done, and better than your high priced "lava rock" BS?

What the fuck is lava rock supposed to mean? That doesn't mean that it doesn't get the job better than a proper Thai mortar and pestle. Plus those have a more stable circular base so it's more stable.

It is just a mortar and pestle, not a molcajete y tejolote. Nothing wrong with that.

A molcajete y tejolote is a slightly different tool than a mortar and pestle and used for different things. It is like the different between a ulu and a chef's knife. They both cut, but they are different tools intended for different things.

Why don't you people use your internet connection to google things instead of asking ignorant questions?

So what can a molcajete y tejolote do that a Thai mortar and pestle can't do?

Stand over a fire until red hot and be used as a piping hot serving dish for chicken molcajete. Also, make better salsa than regular hand food processors. Look up some Mexican dishes that use a molcajete.

I simply don't see how it's ignorant to spend $75 for some Mexican fancy stuff when I can better from Thailand which is more functional for a lot less money. If you find that ignorant then you're shilling shit or are just an asshole.

the pumice is light and airy which infuses your ingredients with air as well

I just buy a melacredos and porjetle when I'm in Micronesia. Or a tiladrias and chingler from thailand.

Ignorant for not looking up what a molcajete is when you have an internet connection, kid.

Calling me a kid, so now you lose.

>staying willfully ignorant.

That's something under 80iq children, rednecks, and peasants do.

In fact I have looked it up before and it just doesn't seem as useful as the proper Thai ones.

You must be right because I don't want to spent a ton of money for some Mexican bullshit when the Thai stuff works better.

>What's the best molcajete to buy?
Lava rock, no branding, it is pretty simple shit
Molcajete means lava rock, that's like asking for a ford and then declaring that you do not care about the brand
Molcajetes are not for the same things mortar and pestles are for, one is for sauces, the other one is for general use and smaller things.

I bought a mortar/pestle to grind seeds up for cooking. I found it to be a pain in the ass. I ended up getting pic related and that's what I use now. I still have the M&P for grinding herbs but use the grinder for everything else.

Wasn't it made of plastic?

Soy and hoodie

amazon.com/MASON-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-5-5-Inch/dp/B00EAU5VQE

pretty sure every bush post '45 is made of plastic

A good molcajete goes for about 15usd and just over 25 for a good family sized one
Honestly the work to cure a molcajete is enormous and something not to play with
Eating food and biting into a loose stone large enough break a molar isnt to be overlooked
Well cured molcajetes take effort to get them to such a point, although such a point is well rewarded as you will have something to hand down for generations
Metates and molcajetes are serious items to own for mexicans

What do you cure it with rice, beans, cilantro?

7up and lime

Limes are a given this is Mexican stuff we are talking about here

Fucking PEAS.

Ewwww, yeah your mexican gods have made those really special. GTFO!

epazote, most folk don't know about that.

Why don't you give peas a chance?

Still crying in your closet becuase your anointed one didn't win? Get over it.

I don't care about your magical voodoo lava rock, a proper Thai mortar and pestal can do all that and more including smaller things.

I don't understand what the point of your "lava rock" shit is. What does that have to do with anything?

So... using a metal mortar will add stone powder in my food or what?

Filthy primitives and their religion of stone

No, a properly made one Thai is what I know will last lifetimes and will not add stone powder into anything. Don't be a naysayer, try one out.

But if I have a metal one already that'll do its job as any one mortar would, why bother? I don't seek validation by my gear choice. As long as its effective and doesn't fuck shit up without me wanting to it's gonna be fine.

Just clean it as soon as you get it by grinding white rice and discarding , then repeat. Process is complete when the rice is completely white.

Then ask for a mortar and not a molcajete

Here's the one I recently got and it's great, all I could have asked for. amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00133MN76