Bread Thread

Eat shit, crumb fags. My bread is delicious.

Other urls found in this thread:

karenskitchenstories.com/2013/09/overnight-white-bread.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HoY7CPw0E1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Try baking it next time

That better be brown because of rye and not whole wheat

>He's never heard of unbleached bread flour

That actually doesn't look too bad. Sure, it's not as holey as the pretentious people on here would like, but that would be killer for a egg salad sandwich or with some pate. Also, the pattern on the outside of the loaf is pretty cool. Good work, OP.

your scoring is lovely, but it's a bit dense at the bottom. is this sourdough or commercial yeast?

pic related is my most recent sourdough, about 80% hydration. not my best, but damn tasty.

It's a sourdough. That was with a 10 minute proof after final shaping. I used a mix of bread wheat flour and spelt flour. (75/25) at 78% hydration. I was looking for extensibility and got it in spades, but the dough wasn't strong and would start to break as it rested. I should have plopped it in a pan and given it a proper rise. I was using a gentle hand in the dough, all the bubbles you see there are from gentle dough handling techniques and not from a final proof. I'm still pretty proud of it. Not my most light crumb tho. Next time I'll use 10% spelt, slower hydration.. maybe 70 and a half T of vital wheat gluten. I think that will give this bread flour the strength and extensibility I am looking for. Pic related, an 80% hydration dough I worked on recently. This had an overnight proof in a banneton.

oh man yeah, you've gotta give enough time during the final proof for the CO2 to develop. spelt is hard because the gluten degrades so quickly. the added wheat gluten might also do the trick, just be sure to up the hydration a tad to compensate.

i love a good long slow bulk ferment with minimal starter. i tend to use about 50-100g starter for 500g flour/375-400g water, bulk ferment around 65F for 8-12 hours, then proofing in the fridge for a few hours. this schedule works best for me when i want to bake on the weekdays -- i can just prep the dough at night, do a few stretch and folds, let it bulk overnight, shape in the AM and proof in the fridge while i'm at work.

this one's probably the best crumb i've ever gotten, 80% hydration with caraway and soaked flax seeds

Well at least you acknowledge your crumb is shit.

eat your heart out crumbfags

not bad, good whole grain you've got there

how do i make bread without getting my hands and countertop entirely encased in dough
no, flour doesn't help

>Crumb looking denser than your skull

here. you can definitely make bread without all that mess. if you own a dutch oven, try something like this. you can cut the recipe in half to make one loaf. karenskitchenstories.com/2013/09/overnight-white-bread.html

literally just air

I remember this post. Very impressive user.

Don't use *any* flour when shaping, only once to set it in a towl lined bowl or baneton. Use a bench scraper to help pick up/handle dough. Use a lighter touch and keep your hands wet with a bowl of water, and your hands won't stick. If the dough is well kneaded (either by time or hand kneading) it will be self cohesive. Oh lastly if you have warm hands try cooling them down. Good luck

That's one of the best 3 loaves I've seen on here ever.

This is actually a really really good piece of kit.

I've been baking bread for a year now and I'm getting pretty good at it, but I'm still reluctant to start making sourdough for some reason. Give me some tips to make me start please

>flour doesn't help
You must be making some very wet doughs then, if you're new to baking I would recommend making really high hydration doughs, try doing 4 dl of water and 7 dl of flour for a good balance. Also, remember to use a weight for your flour, because 7 dl of flour in a measuring jug is almost never 7 dl of flour.

Thanks I just ordered one. I was playing with the idea of getting a round banneton anyway. This seems like it can do that, plus act as an in oven mold for better shaped loaves.

Important correction, when I wrote
>if you're new to baking I would recommend making really high hydration doughs
I meant to write "wouldn't recommend"

Can you please explain your slow fermented bread in more detail? Thanks

Just finished these, I haven't tasted them yet, but they look more visually appealing than my bread usually does

those looks great

this bread looks like shit

thanks!

so, for example the recipe for is:
500g bread flour
390g water
11g sea salt
.5g yeast

Mix flour and water, let sit for 20-30 minutes.

Sprinkle on salt and yeast and incorporate using the pincher method. Stretch and fold every 30 min for 2-3 hours.

Cover and let rise in a cool area for 12-14 hours until slightly more than doubled.

Shape and proof 1-1.5 hours, bake in preheated Dutch oven at 450F covered for 30 min, uncovered for 12-20 min.

is the same idea, but using 50g sourdough starter instead of yeast, and I proofed that one in the fridge for a few hours.

the idea is that the bread takes on a more complex flavor, and you get a better tasting bread and a more open crumb compared to a kneaded dough.

I must say I really enjoy that a shitty bait thread posted for the 4000th time actually turned into a real discussion, fuckin makes my day boys

Like my buns?

I'm ready for the hate, but any tips on making my bread fluffier on the calzone things? I try to let them rise a second time once they're pressed closed, but it doesn't rise much at all. I roll the dough with a pin after the first rise for about 2 hours. They taste fucking dank though

i have no idea about bread stuff but those look good my dude
i almost made fun of you for buying premade crap because it looks so professional and neat

for real, these look great. my suggestion would be to not roll it out so thinly next time.

Thanks man, I came up with the whole recipe and I was inspired by my roommate's hotpockets. I might make a cook along thread tonight with them. And I'll try leaving the dough thicker

Stop

look at this fucking photograph.

the time will come that the kind of people who plan, take, or participate in these kinds of photographs will all be fucking beheaded, inshallah.

look at this photograph. why are there six bowls of spaghetti arranged in such a way on a table? are six people each going to come, get one, and sit elsewhere? that doesn't seem to make sense.

look at this photograph. look at the smirking slut. what is she doing with her hands? she's holding a fork in each hand, one with spaghetti and one with a meatball. someone told her to do that. it's something that makes no sense to do. what is the intended effect, or trickery supposed to be on us?

how stupid does the kike responsible for this photograph really think we are?

it must have taken several retarded, pointless, wasted moments in the life of a wasted humans life to get the meatball on one fork, and the spaghetti on another, in order to fake this photograph of an event that never would, and never should, occur.

look at her. smiling like an idiot. what does she have to be so happy about? she's being forced to dual wield incompatible hand held objects that she'd never have a motivation to do otherwise. she's a whore and her mouth takes up half her face.

what a pitiful turn of events that must have led to the creation of this photograph. bloodshed and terror, my friends; brutal, animal atrocity - a reign of nightmares - is the only thing that can purify our culture, our society, our nations, from this creeping insanity.

>I roll the dough with a pin after the first rise for about 2 hours.
Jesus Christ. Don't roll your dough so much ya dingus.

I'm the OP and I take offense at the idea that this was ever a bait thread. I guarantee you it's never been posted before 100% high quality OC. "4000th time" my ass!

are bread machines memes?

incel

>using the pincher method
Can you elaborate, or post a link to a video that shows it?

yes
if you have one already it will make bread
but they are indeed memes

Learn from the best -- here's Ken Forkish's demonstration youtube.com/watch?v=HoY7CPw0E1s

this. nothing quite like warm fresh-cooked bread. Try it OP

made some focaccia pizza with marinara and fresh mozzarella for dinner

did you man-ja-cake with it after?

you burned the cheese, asshole.

dumb fuck burned the cheese lol

fucking douche goes through all the trouble of making focaccia bread for his pizza and he ends up burning the fucking cheese.

lol what a dumb fuck

I haven't made bread since I was a kid, and I think we just used instant yeast. Today I began my first starter, but used tap water, then realized there could be chlorine or whatever the gubmint puts in it that could fuck it up. I started a second one with the filtered water I actually drink.

I mean, I'll figure it out at some point this week, but is the tap water one doomed?

you know you can just leave water out for a bit and the chlorine will evaporate? That's what you do for fish tanks

That's a pretty strange thing to get upset about.

not at all. you can just leave the water on the counter for a few hours/the night or morning before you feed your starter if you're worried about the chlorine. fwiw, i started and still feed my starters with water straight from the tap and i've never had an issue with it.

I've done some no-knead bread a few times before, but it doesn't seem to be good on my dutch oven. Like, it's more blackened than before, and less nonstick. Can I just get a loaf pan and use a regular recipe instead? All the bread I see in here is that dome shaped look from using a dutch oven. That's another thing, that shape isn't great for sandwiches.

yeah, there are plenty of recipes for sandwich loaves online, even some no-knead recipes for 'em.

as far as your burning/sticking goes, try a few things:
1) put a cookie sheet upside down (so the shiny surface is facing down) on a rack below the one the dutch oven goes on. this'll help deflect some heat.
2) turn the heat down by like 25F
3) use parchment paper! it helps in transferring the dough to the dutch oven, too.
4) for the last 10 minutes of baking, just take it out of the dutch oven and bake it directly on the oven rack

The first few times I did it without parchment paper, because I didn't have any, but it did seem to help once I started using it. Anyway, I'll try something different. I wanted to eventually make some pumpernickel, but I was going to get a simpler recipe down first.

I got a Zojirushi breadmaker for my birthday.
Any tips before I start baking?

I feed my starters tap water. You'll be fine unless you live in chlorine central.

>breadmaker
>baking
Throw it in the trash and bake your bread.

i don't have any experience with breadmakers, but i hear that brand is really good. good luck, post your results!

This shit smells amazing.

cute.

lets see the inside

Dont you need to let it sit for a few hours? Or can you just slice into it?

you can totally slice into it right away and it'll be great
but its best to let it cool for an hour or two

let it cool for an hour or you're gonna lose some moisture

This is some high quality shit right here. Way better than any storebought bread Ive ever had.
Imma see if there are any ways to get better at doing this.

Talk about eat shit, crumbfags. What type of flour did you use? Cinder blocks?

What's your hydration level?

ask you're mum

What saw did you use to split that brick?

Indeed, not bad at all. I'd be happy to crack open a loaf and find that waiting for me.

looks and tastes like a piece of shit

Gatorade/10

King Arthur whole wheat flour.
Some bread knife I got in the kitchen.
Tastes awesome, if this is shitty then it can only get better so I'm stoked.

100% whole wheat? Dude, you never go full retard.

Aint that healthy?

VAGINAL

any bread without olives is good. Olives in bread is hipster shit

Who's got a good pretzel recipe? The one I'm using now is

1 cup warm water
1 package yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
3 1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup baking soda
boil in baking soda water for ~1 minute
bake at 450 for ~10 minutes

But I like to experiment

Does anyone have that post saved about the woman using her vaginal yeast to make bread?

What does this mean?

Jesus christ

If you really want to go balls to the wall get some lye and do it old school instead of that pussy baking soda shit

Anyone have a good recipie / percentages for some fluffy brioche? My current recipie is ok but I'm looking for that ultra soft fluffy texture.

can someone explain what this mystical "crumb" is, in the context of these show-and-tell bread threads
as best I can tell it's just a dolled up way of saying "cross section"

It's all of it

No.

It's the inside bit, ie the not-the-crust part.

I like making bread, though I'm just a beginner.

Too bad I rarely make it because I'm mostly low carb. Only make it when I'm cooking for others.

Well, I suppose your crumb looks slightly better than OP's.

Looks like the "healthy" sandwich bread I make my son eat

i like the attitude user, keep at it. practice makes perfect

Use weight measurements, not volume

WHY is bread so good? it's just ground up plants, this shouldn't be possible

K so I have a friend who is bringing dinner over on friday. It's a Creole dish so I wanted to try to make some french baguettes to go with it. Literally never made bread in my entire life. Can anyone help?

Vegan food best food.

rice > bread

Nope, vegans can't eat bread because you have to kill water to make it.

>Retarded shit
This is what meat heads actually believe.