How much did you spend on your chef's knife?

How much did you spend on your chef's knife?

What is the least one should spend on a chef's or santoku knife?

I have an assortment of 3 mercer knives that were all under $30 and I love them

Bought a chef knife for 25 bucks. Least you should spend omn one is abbout thee fifty

Got a Mora, probably cost the equivalent of $60 US.

My mom gave me mine.
I know it sounds like im a kid but it was a really sweet gift i didnt ask for

It's a meme to spend more than $100 for a knife. Just find one you're comfortable with and keep it sharp.

$100

I spent $70 for a Tojiro Gyuto and am very happy with it. One of the best quality for the price.

Never spent a penny on knives. Got my chef's knife from one of my mom's magazine subscription programs and got some other knives as gifts either when I moved out or at birthdays.

Got myself a whetstone so they'll be usable for a long long time no matter the quality.

>It's a meme to spend more than $100 for a knife.
>meme
Complete and utter, fucking retard.

But how do you keep knives sharp, user?

I have a set of martha stewart knives I got from Macy's for about $25 and I think they're impossible to sharpen.

100 USD on my chef's knife. (Wusthof)

20-80 USD on the smaller, infrequently used, and more 'purpose-specific' (e.g. bread knife, paring knife, smaller chef's knife)

i would look at it this way: what should/can one budget? you can get a fantastic, great-quality, sharp knife that will hold and edge and last you years for 75-150 dollars. it's worth it if you use it.

my dad was a piece of shit, but he did instill one good thing into me: cheap shit is cheap shit. don't be a cheap shit and cheap out on shit.

What kind of a loser wont spend $100 on a chef's knife? It's literally your most important cooking tool, which you'll use virtually every day for years and will make the biggest difference as to whether preparing food is fun or a chore. Just cut down on your drinking for a week or two if you think $100 is to much money to spend on an investment.

A Santoku will keep you from cutting your fingers if you cook drunk. I'm not joking.

how?

no u

See the offset from the handle, it keeps your fingers away from the blade. A Chef's knife puts you in direct peril. It's like training wheels for a knife.

Learn how to hold a fucking knife.

$7.97

i'm sorry, i still don't understand. looking at your image i don't see anything that would suggest i would use these knives any differently than a traditional 'french' chef knife... (holding knife in right hand, curl left fingertips back and guide cutting with knuckle-tips butted up to broadside of knife, rocking blade up/down)

are you saying the cutting edge of a santoku, being less curved, is safer for clumsiness? i'm just confused.

You're so clever. How to hold a knife. Tell us all like the fucking asshole you are. Sometimes you get cut, right asshole? Can you cut yourself from time to time or are you just a perfect cunt?

You fucking gimps that lip up, why? You just come across like cunts.

>english, mother fucker

Yeah, I cut and burn myself probably once a week, but I never cut myself on my right hand, because that's the hand I use to hold my knife.

For western style chef knife (which includes the idiot proof Japanese ones like Global and Mac) you're just spending on luxury with more than 10$. There are excellent supply store brands like ARCOS and ICEL, yay the for Souther European economic depression.

For a "laser" (lets say 180g or less for a 8+" Chef's knife/gyuto/meme-shape) I'm not sure what the cheapest is.

$60 for a knife which is already too nice for me. Planning to get a chinese chef knife on the side, simply because it's so easy to scoop with, I'll be looking more in the $30 range then.

I honestly don't give a shit what you do. You're just generic background noise to everything. Enjoy being nothing.

You ever feel like you never matter? You should.

>idiot proof Japanese ones like Global and Mac
>you're just spending on luxury

Kek. You could probably buy a nice MAC if you didn't buy fast food for a month.

>this guy gets it

i got an oneida brand knife from harris teeter 4 years ago, it's been great. i think it was $15

Victorinox 8" chef's knife with a fibrox handle is like $30-$40 on amazon and feels great. There are better knives out there but this is pretty much all you need as a regular cooking guy

this, with knife technique and a wooden board this knife is best for joe sixpack asking knife advice who isn't ready to dive all the way in.

if you're deep-enough into cooking that you're ready to spend $100+/knife, great. you probably already have influences to ask personally by this point. when i was at that point i started with a wusthof because my lady-friend's mom was one of the best professional cooks in the city and she had, like 8 in her home kitchen.

>wusthof
Like this one. I've had this in my wishlist for a while...
It's ~ $100 for the 8".

disgusting

>8"

You gotta step up your game.

whatever, it's the best knife in walmart

that was exactly my first 'real' knife. loved it from day 1. still have it and still love it.

sharp as shit from the box. holds it's edge too. as an amateur bachelor who lives alone & cooks 3-5 nights a week (nothing fancy), for 1-4 people at a time that knife is far more valuable than $100 to me. if you can afford one, you want one but you're on the fence about getting one let me shove you in the right direction: get one.

I got a free knife set from wedding gifts, after 10 years one of the steak knifes has broken. I am looking for just a steak knife replacement. Anyone got suggestions on brands. I just want the one knife so it can be premium quality.

hahaha awesome, I'll move it into my cart for my next order. Thanks!

I don't know if I'm ready for a Hattori Hanzo blade.

Kek. It's literally every dumb couple that got married young and was gifted a knife set. They literally start with the biggest knife, then gradually move down as each knife gets dull until they swear that that one serrated steak knife is the best knife in the entire set, because nobody showed them what the steel was for, or bought them any kind of sharpener. And then they call themselves mature adults living in the real world and raising a family.

>hur durr idk what this long ass metal stick in my knife kit is for

I bought a whole knife kit (around 8 knives, different uses) for about $135

It came with a sharpener but the handles are cheap plastic and came loose from the blade

lol. i was going to buy my friends a very nice chef's knife for their wedding, because i thought it was a nice-utilitarian gesture that would be off-registry, but still an everyday item they'd appreciate.. budgeted $100-175 for it. i was dissuaded by the woman at the shop, however, because- with weddings, anniversaries, etc.- there are unwritten rules. and giving a knife is symbolic to 'severing the knot'. or wishing ill on their union... lmoa, i would have paid 2x as much for the knife as i did for the charcuterie board i went with. i appreciate her effort, however, because they aren't big into cooking at home and it probably would have just gone to waste.

I’ve got a chefs knife that was about $30 on sale online and i go through a paring knife at about $7 every two years

cook 4-5 times a week, randomly sharpen them now and then

my cooking is pretty good so i don’t feel i need to spend more

>Not getting a master smith to craft you one

I got a $300 zwiling set back when I was stupid, then a $35 dexter-russell cleaver which I turned out to like. Might get a CCK or one of them chink competitors now. Probably will never buy a knife again after that.

test. ignore this crucially important test, thankyou, nothing to see here, move along.
KEKS
starKEKS
C U C K S

Fuck, c u c k wordfilters since when?

>they aren't big into cooking at home and it probably would have just gone to waste

At least it wouldn't of taken up as much storage space as a fucking charcuterie board.

if they don't use it as intended they can still use it as a cutting board/chopping block, re-gift it or throw it away, i suppose. i don't fucking care, i gifted it to them so it's theirs now.

they like entertaining, drinking wine, and i really thought she would enjoy to have a nice, handcrafted piece like the one i bought for occasions when they host & serve a little something, as they are want to do- otherwise she can hang it decoratively on a kitchen wall.

they just enjoy going out more and don't seem to cook particularly complicated meals at home. a $30 chef's knife does them just fine, i'm not in the business of fixing what's not broken.

so before you go and assume i put no thought into the gift i got for my own friends: you can go fuck yourself with a charcuterie board, bud.. i'm a good friend, fucko.

Holy shit, dude. I'm laughing my ass off at this just trying to imagine what you're so insecure about.

$800.

spent $80 on my MAC knife
$45 on my henkels chef's knife (it was 7 years ago, at a marshall's)
just bought a mercer slicing knife for work on amazon for like 25
knife bag is a henkels basic roll up, kind of want to upgrade

I've got a Global 20cm chef knife, it's pretty good, holds an edge well.
Was around 80 bucks.

Everything. Literally everything, my friend! :(

Depends on angle which depends upon year. Old school chefs knife are at 20 to 22 degrees. In the past year (this is very recent), they’ve unanimously upgraded to 15. There are guided electric sharpeners that can rehone to 15 but those aren’t made for 22 degrees and especially not 25. Your best bet for a sharp resharpenable knife is to spend over 40 bucks on a new current gen knife, after that a sharpening AND honing whetstone ideally one at below and another at above 1000 grit. Outside of this carbon eastern knife go can (not unanimously) go to 12 or even 10 degrees, personally I find edges this fine very difficult to maintain without upsetting the bevel while sharpening or even whilst cutting. It’s hard enough to maintain a 15 degree edge much more so a 10 particularly on the softer carbon steel.

Good, because you're a shit friend and they probably hate you

I want the hardest knife possible so it holds its edge the longest, what should I get?

For the memiest of meme steels (CPM S110V) you're looking at custom knives. Only pocket/survival knives are made in meme steels in large numbers.

Expect to pay 1000$+ ...

Same paragraph poster I use victorinox 8” as well as their filet and pairing knifes. I sharpen bidaily as I work in a kitchen but these are hard steel knifes that gold an edges. My sharpening fetish is just an acquired trait from the work I do, an at home knife will see much less ware than my own. Possibly seek Chinese vegetable cleaver in carbon steel, those are apparently made for slamming against cutting boards like a Ching Chang Chong didndu

Former head chef here. I used Victorinox (cheap, good, solid) and Wusthoff Grand Prix 2s (pricier, great quality, great handles). I never spent more than a hundred on any knife, though.

Love that knife, with ease the best thing i ever bought for my kitchen.

>lamb sauce overload

Probably 10 bucks at least.

Or in 34.86 Shekels

Says the guy with the shit mass produced bottom of the barrel never been wet stoned $50 Henkel

£8 from a supermarket. The handle is great and as long as I sharpen it so is the blade. Expensive knives are a maymay for gullible plebs.

My most expensive knife is probably my F. Dick 1778 chef's knife which cost me well over 330€. Some others that were nearly as expensive are my two Hattori FH gyutos or my Miyabi MC, or my Hiromoto AS.

i have two knifes, one Zwilling 30721-201 Twin Pollux (ca. 40 €) and one opinel 218 (ca. 60 €).
i use both frequently and love them equally. i also own the opinel 221 carving knife. and some smaller zwillings.

*knives.

I spent about $20 at Walmart for one. It feels nice but the blade apparently stains and bends pretty easy. I was given a Cuisinart set as a gift that has one. It looks a lot nicer and has a better handle but I haven't used it yet. If you have to go cheap, I wouldn't spend less than 20 but don't expect much from it.

twat

>proving his point

lad

$40 on Victorinox Fibrox Chef 8''

I was considering spending $80 on a JCK Kagayaki, but it seems to ask for a lot of maintenance in return
>Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
>Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
>We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.

$37 for my Victorinox Fibrox eight inch

negative any value of infinity

>you're a shit friend and they probably hate you

lmoa! tell me something i don't know you absolute fucking tool.

Meh it really comes down to how your personal preference anyways; I get rock hard when cutting vegetables with my Japanese knife because sharpness means just the weight of the knife is enough to cut all my veggies.

It makes the autistic maintenance totally worth my time. That said I do have a chinese cleaver and some more sturdy German steel on the side for harder items like bones or chopping up tough shells, etc.

Tramontina ProLine Stain-Free, High-Carbon German Steel Knives Set - 2 Pc $18 from costco

he's retarded, he means the gap from the grip to the blade, like people cut themselves more with the knife-holding hand than the hand handling the food.

retarded, right. It creates less of an axial point of rotation like a turkey carving knife and also less of a pinch point. It offsets the pivot of the knife.

Get your shit together, dipshit.

Different user (I think), but I still have no idea what he was trying to say.

grab a fucking dowel in your hand and rotate your wrist. then grab a 2x6. which rotates easier? That's how off axis, taller knives are safer.

jesus christ, it's like teaching a dog calculus.

You need to learn to identify your Henkel's knives. That is a 11.5" German made Zwilling Twin (note the logo with two dudes.. the $50 Spanish made 8" international line has one guy and doesn't say Solingen Germany on it).
That is a $150+ knife.

that's nice user

$1600 for a lefty Korin

More than $100 seems retarded.

Um,if it's so simple could you just draw a picture?

Smart doggo.

can anyone compare the victorinox to the messermeister four seasons?
I have the messermeister four seasons and it's alright, was wondering if a victorinox would really be a step up

I got my local smithy to craft me one tho.

My maximally pigmented person of African origin!

I doubt it, those knives seem to be extremely similar. A real step up would be something like a JCK Kagayaki Basic. Yeahm I know it is more expensive, but you will be using that knife for the next twenty years or so. Buy once cry once, there are not many things in the average persons life where that applies so well. You'll be sorry you have waited so long once you have it.

my dad keeps buying knives from the kitchen section at Dollar Tree and insisting that they're just as good as the expensive knives even though they won't stay sharp and the handle comes off and has to be glued back on regularly

I don't know, something less than $15. I actually really like the weight and feel of it. I sharpen it regularly with an electric grinder so it stays pretty sharp. I don't care if I grind it down too much, I'll just buy a new one.

Knife elitists are the worst. Just find something that feels good in your hand and keep it sharp.

Are you stupid?

Also it depends on what type of knife you are getting. Good chef knives range from 100-250 but a mice slicer can go up into the 400s

>Not having a better insult than "are you stupid"
Opinion discarded.

Why does no one ever bring up Chicago knives in these threads? My family's had one since before I was born and it still works quite well, got one for myself when I moved out and it's still going strong.

My most expensive one was around $650.

You can get a decent gyuto for around 200 bucks.

Because they're shit.

The only line of their knives that doesn't completely suck is their heritage line. The steel is cheap (which I'm not opposed to) and the blades are so thin that, combined with he cheap steel, they flex (which sucks), even the chef's knife. They will last and cut things for a long time with not much babying, though. You can do a lot worse for more money, but they're not ideal.

have a nakiri and a petty from them; great bang for your buck.