Does anybody else find it a bit jarring working with big pieces of raw meat that you can very clearly tell used to be...

Does anybody else find it a bit jarring working with big pieces of raw meat that you can very clearly tell used to be part of the animal? I just prepared a couple of pork knucles and it made me pretty uncomfortable handling them

Not at all.

Not at all. I work in the meat department of my grocery store and honestly all of the primals we cut don't look like their part of an animal at all. They're just giant Slavs of meat that get cut into steaks. I packaged a bunch of smoked pork necks or some shit earlier, and they didn't look like pork necks at all. Hock doesn't bother me either, and it actually does look how you'd think

>giant Slavs of meat
blyat

Like, if anyone's interested I can probably take a picture of a sirloin before it's cut into steaks and post it here later. It's kinda interesting.

Go ahead

yep time to vegan
/thread

What is it about working with this that makes you feel so uneasy?
Have you been in denial about the source of meat for your whole life and are just now realizing it?

The only time this happens to me for some reason is when I make whole roast rabbit. You might cut a piece off of it and say "Hey look a tiny bicep" and then you eat it and it's delicious and you don't care. Then you break it's tiny bones and spread the marrow on toast. Rabbit marrow is so fucking hard to get out of the rabbit but worth it for the teaspoon or so of it that's in the animal.

No, I have no problem with eating meat and I don't have any more problem with it now. But it's a bit unappetizing to me to hold the severed leg in my hands in it's raw state.

>jarring

where do you think meat comes from? animals are food. as long as the animals are raised and butchered humanely there is no issue. be thankful for the sacrifice they made and do not be wasteful.

Maybe jarring isn't the right word, I'm not an native english speaker. I don't mean it makes me feel like an awful person or something, I just mean it's kind of ugly and uncomfortable.

These are two beef rounds. Well make a bunch of shit out of these, cube steak, use the trimmings for ground meat, etc

As you can see their big pieces of meat.

Well if it's not moral then it just seems to me that you havent't been desensitized.
You'll be okay user, just keep in mind how fragile life is.

FUCK I'm retarded, wrong picture. That's steaks I just packaged.

This is the rounds

This is what well make t bones out of

I saw entire frozen pig heads being sold alongside conventional cuts of meat last Christmas at Walmart. I was kind of shocked and just stood there for several minutes staring into the vacant pork eyes that returned glances back at me.

unsettling is a better word. if it bothers you that much stop eating meat.

No, but my father hit a deer once and we butchered it. That was kinda uncomfortable, especially because his eyes were open and seemed to follow me around.

My mom still reminisces about the time they would serve boiled sheep heads to important guests. But no, today it's just harrowing and shocking. Fucking pussies.

Well I know where I'm getting the props for my next music video

We're used, as most people are, to meat being completely disconnected mentally to the animal it comes from. Meat comes to us sliced and wrapped into little chunks, and we rarely have to think about the fact that it's an actual part of a leg or a torso. Imagine opening the freezer and finding it full of human hands, heads, feet etc. It's disconcerting to have to actually think that it's a chunk of something that was alive.

Generally, the only way to help this is to have a closer understanding of the relationship between the animal and your food. Investigate how your meat comes to you, what kind of meat you're buying, get more involved with the production process. If you don't like the conditions animals are raised in by the food industry, or If it really makes you super uncomfortable to see an animal slaughtered and processed before you eat it (not just on a video, real life is very different, the smell of a fresh carcass will put you off meat for a while), well, you probably shouldn't be eating meat. Growing up on a farm helps a lot because the process of watching living animals being turned into meat in the freezer isn't hidden from you as a kid, and it makes it easier to accept. But for people who didn't have that, it's really something that needs to be learned.

Big pieces of raw pork might be a little disturbing to work with, because pig skin is really similar to human skin, it's pretty weird to find a nipple or two when i'm working with pork belly for pork chashu.

My grandma used to raise pigs and used to say '' se queres ver o teu corpo, mata o teu porco '' which roughtly means '' if you wanna see (inside) your body, kill your pig'' because pig organ are pretty much the same size of humans organs.

Still, i'm not unconfortable anymore since i was raised with the knowledge that meat comes from dead animals

This is why I can't eat shrimp along with its texture even though by all accounts I like the taste.

But it's not because I give a shit about its life if that's what you're implying. It just looks like a shit-tier animal humans shouldn't be eating and seeing it in its majority whole state is revolting

i worked at a one star restaurant for half a year and half my job involved torching pig heads, deboning them, throwing the skulls into an enormous vat of stock and making brawn fritters and crispy ears. the other half was killing lobsters, basically. you get used to it.

You shouldn't.
We humans dominate this planet for a reason, it's only right to make use of its resources.

>americans are shocked meat comes from an animal

man up you fucking pussies

>But it's a bit unappetizing to me to hold the severed leg in my hands in it's raw state.

where did u think food came from?

nope
took a meat science class over the summer as part of my degree curriculum. we slaughtered a steer and broke the carcass down into different cuts. now handling beef is one big identification exercise. pretty neat.

I dunno man, I butcher a whole chicken a week for meat offal and stock. It's just something you get used to. At this point I can safely say I know how to butcher a bird quickly and effectively. It kind of grosses girls out, but I take pride in abilities like that. Builds character

This
Rofl enjoy getting a heart attack fatty.

Except it doesn't bother me and never has, I grew up camping and while I haven;t been hunting I have helped break down a deer. I have fished and I see no real difference, I find catch and release a bit cruel since you pretty much spear the fish lips but it doesn't bother me enough to break the law for sizing and it never has.

Op stop being a faggot or be a vegetarian meat comes from living creatures if you get disconnected from that you aren't really cooking you are just reheating shit.

>ugly and uncomfortable

jarring means exactly this.

in english there are a lot of words that signify the same relative meanings but have many different connotations. "jarring" means harsh; clashing; grating, or emotionally: you're shocked, appalled, disgusted, disjointed.

you used the word correctly.