As a customer, do you favor a uniform, nondescript style when it comes to kitchen staff/servers...

As a customer, do you favor a uniform, nondescript style when it comes to kitchen staff/servers? Do you find it off-putting when they proudly sport their own, "out there" style? Assuming they appeared to be clean, would it even register if they had tattoos on display, piercings, unique hair etc?

I thought I was chill about everything when it came to personal appearance until I got my coffee made by a gym-happy, vest-wearing barista. I could see his armpit hairs. The dude seemed clean and all but there were armpits on display. I've not been the same since.

i couldn't care less. i might judge them for it but i don't care if it doesn't affect me.

I don't really care unless there's a chance of getting something in my food. Fuck that armpit guy.

So long as the person is clean, and observing basic food handling concerns (gloves when appropriate, hair/beard not dangling near the food) I couldn't give a fuck less what the person looks like. So long as they don't smell like 6 week ass.

Im pretty easy going but do have rules... No exposed bodyhair beyond head and forearms. That means head and facial hair is fine...no tanktops...no shorts or skirts unless legs are shaved(men too)...no v-neck t-shirts. Hair must not fall below the neckline. Facial hair shall not exceed one inch. No hoops loops rings studs or guages on the head or hands. No exposed jewelry around the neck.

>pretty easy going
>laundry list of rules
You’re not easy going at all.

You're for sure not easy going at all

You do not sound too easy-going

I find for practicality, it it eaiser with a uniform. I have my chefs coat, apron, shorts, t shirt, and socks I wear every day. I come home, throw them into the washing machine, take a shower, browse until wash is done, throw into dryer, and sleep. I keep my hat in my car, which acts as a hair net.

When I have worked FOH, if it was required to wear "my own style" I found it best to have clothes put aside for work that I wasn't worried about ruining. I think a uniform is the better way to go.

Tattoos or long beards = I'm not eating there. I don't any fucking lowlifes handling my food.

Other than body hair, I seem to have an issue with certain hand tattoos. For example, take Aaron Sanchez. He appears to be a well-groomed, talented individual. But I see him handling food and the tattoos make his fingers look dirty. I don't mind body art generally, I have a few skin designs of my own. But that kind of tattoos on working hands really puts me off.

That projection.

Haha i misread the thread. I replied as a chef not a guest. Im like most... Just look presentable dont smell bad and no pit hair.

I did forget one very important "rule" that i take seriously. As a chef or guest... foh or boh...no god damned fragrance. The bedroom is fine. It doesnt belong in a restaurant. My staff knows better but sometimes our guests are bathing in it. If my maitre d'hotel detects it he directs the guests to a table away from others.

? I have short well kept hair and not so much as a piercing, let alone a tattoo. It's called being respectable. If someone isn't respectable in their appearance you can be certain they aren't respectable in other facets of their life.

no piercings, no tattoos, no body hair, no long hair, clean clothes.

Mexicans all look the same to me, doesn't really come up. The one white ex convict bossing them around can be a weirdo, I guess. Long as my food is good idgaf.

Piercings and tattoos are normal if you ever leave your basement. Nothing wrong with armpits if the person is clean. Never seen anyone irl that looks like the OP pic; pretty sure they're making fun of hipsters.

if you cant handle servers/staff being able to differentiate themselves then you are autistic
>I need everything in a labeled box

Is that what you got from the op? Wow.

>pretty sure they're making fun of hipsters

nope. reverse image search and... google hipster chef.

I don't care, in fact I'd say that overall I prefer a restaurant that doesn't have a uniform.

>Piercings and tattoos are normal if you ever leave your basement
Doesn't make it any less degenerate.

They can be naked for all I care, I havnt seen kitchen help since I was kitchen help. Servers should have uniforms though

Portland Oregon - The picture

if i see exposed pits, im outta there

these are lighter than the rules in literally every proffesional kitchen. my kitchen is really casual and we have all that, plus hats and full aprons. a non-easy going kitchen would have a uniform, and a hardass would have drill sergeant level standards for how you wear it/cleanliness. this shit is basic.

What kind of next level buffoonery is this? Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they're not there and I'm fairly certain you wouldn't want some hairy dude's schlong-n-gobbets orbiting your baked alaska.

I mean... unless you're into that kind of stuff in which case, move along now, nothing to see here.

As a customer, as long as you don't smell, have an excessively long, untrimmed beard or pit hair showing, I don't care. I can't sling a dead cat in this city without hitting someone with a tattoo.

As a part time worker at a hipster as fuck coffee shop.Black/navy/grey polo or a black/grey/light blue button up and blue jeans are what I wear to work. I have a single tattoo on my forearm that I regret (WW2 navy girl that my grandfather had) and I sport a short mohawk, but I'm easily the most clean cut person that works there. What amazes me is the lack of hygiene the younger 20 somethings have, especially the women. I had to go to my manager couple weeks ago, because this chick was ripe and that's being polite.

I'll tell you what bothers me more than any of your questions: You are judgmental about who you paid to serve your COFFEE. GO FUCK YOURSELF. He's not the chef who prepped or cooked your fucking dinner, he's just the ugly dude who served YOUR FUCKING COFFEE.

He *made* the coffee. Can you not read or is the sweat from all that jumping to conclusions you've been making getting in your eyes?

As long as the place is small enough I don't care. if I am going into a big place, uniforms or a specific style is much nicer since I don't have to figure out the random people from customers

as long as they don't wear brightly colored low quality graphic tees, I really couldn't fucking care less

what kind of food do you cook

The females should be wearing french maid outfits and the men should dress like butlers or else I'm not going in your establishment.

I don’t particularly care, but a uniform does build unity anong the staff and can look damn good and professional. As for tattoos, piercings, and odd hairstyles, well those things barely register to me and I don’t think there’s anything at all wrong with those like some backwards bigots do. So basically I appreciate a level of professionalism complimented by individuality.

>tfw you want to look like a cholo but need a few years of Food Network swag first

I'm also interested. What kind of place are you running pal?

>stinky girl
Get used to it.
The reality is jobs like barista and server require little training, little skill, the hours are flexible, the days short, few if any background checks, and they payout cash daily. Now this might be ideal for single moms and college students but its also ideal for barely functional junkies. Your girl was probably on the tail end of a three day coke bender.

Nah I don't give a shit about anything other than the food and drink.
That is why I am there.
Guy could come out in a fucking bedazzled belly shirt and I would still eat there if the food is on point.

There is a chain of bar / restaurants where there thing is that they try to be as rude and dickish to their customers as possible.
It's called Dick's Last Resort.
The food was shit so I never went back.
Loved the gimmick though. Got to call some bitch a cunt.

it's illegal to have armpits uncovered unless they;re shaved. i don't really care otherwise as long as they do a good job

Id like them to wear a chef apron. Thats it. Also keep your long hair organized. I dont want it in my food.

I prefer something where I can vaguely tell who they are. Sometimes that might be a uniform, sometimes it might be a nametag, but please keep me from asking the guy in a black shirt and khakis if he can grab my server.

I used to work at Abercrombie - any time I walked into another Abercrombie, someone would assume I worked there, because they were just looking for any attractive white person. No good. But when I worked at a watch place and we all wore black on black with a nametag? Zero confusion.

I'd prefer someone doesn't have a super long beard or scraggly unkempt hair. Tattoos and the rest of their style is fine.

Cleanliness is all that matters. Beyond that, wear a beenie for all I care.

Uniform represents order and teamwork. I appreciate when a business uses one although if they don't have one it's okay. I don't agree with piercings and tattoos, wouldn't trust my food. No armpits.

Satan please remember to stay in Japan

Servers should have half aprons, chefs should have aprons.

Not only is this useful for doing your job quickly and efficiently, but it also is helpful for identifying whoever is working at the restaurant.

theres always one...

tattoos dont matter. armpits do. ew

I can't stand big beards in the kitchen.
It's fucking disgusting.

It's not only unhygienic and unprofessional, it's also hazardous. I don't care if they're culinary gods, anyone willing to work like pic related will never step foot into any kitchen of mine.

I was eating at a decently famous/popular Japanese restaurant one time, and one server (male) had enormous black earrings, they looked like some legit death metal shit. He looked like a fucking thug, which didn't fit the restaurant's vibe at all imo.

Damn near all of the staff were non-Asians, which triggered me too but that's a whole different issue.

>Damn near all of the staff were non-Asians, which triggered me too but that's a whole different issue.

Why is that a problem?

I literally will not eat food cooked by a fat person. The thought of their fat, wriggling fingers anywhere near something I'm going to ingest makes me want to vomit. If I even get a fat waitress I have to ask to switch sections, and if she ends up following me to the new one instead of getting the server who oversees the new section I take my leave of the restaurant.

Anything else is more or less fine, though.

Never trust a skinny cook, that's what they say. Bet you've missed out on some right delicious experiences -- I mean, based on their self-experience alone...