Coffee Gear

What are you using to make your coffee?

I like good coffee but don't feel like dropping stupid amounts of money on coffee gear. I opted for a 3 cup Bialetti, a Porlex grinder and a decent air tight container for the beans.

The money I didn't waste on an actual espresso machine or electric high end grinder I spend on decent, locally roasted and fresh coffee. Tastes amazing and does the job.

Other urls found in this thread:

home-barista.com/brewing/moka-pot-varieties-hairsplitting-or-real-differences-t6923.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DcQFBdLNvZU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I had the same setup as your image, cheap and tasty, but acidity in coffee is killing me (literally, via gastritis and ulcers).
I'm doing a "cold brew" coffee tonight, to drink on Friday. Basically I'm leaving the coffee grounds with cold water in the fridge for 20+ hours, then running it through a paper filter and I rad this reduces acidity dramatically.

I'd ask some advice:
I am doing it in one of those aluminum sports bottles, and it has a tight lid. Do I keep it on, or leave it open in the fridge?
Also, I want to drink it warm in the morning, but I hate microwave coffee. I fucking swear there is a difference. How do I warm my refridgerated cold brew coffee to normal morning Joe temperatures without ruining it?

I've used a moka pot, a Vietnamese drip coffee filter, an Aeropress, and a Nespresso machine. Personally my favourite is the drip coffee filter, followed by the Aeropress, then the Nespresso, and finally the moka pot. The moka pot is just too damn hard to clean for me to bother using it on a regular basis, and I don't really like the flavour either. Nespresso is nice and convenient but expensive and the pods are wasteful.

Also

sorry to hear about the acidity, I don't know shit about cold brew though.

When I started making coffee with the Moka Pot I used to use preground coffee for normal drip machines and it tasted horrible acidic. Nothing I did would change it (heat, amount of coffee, tempering, extraction time). I then tried preground espresso coffee and it was bitter af (tried all the parameters as above again). The solution was getting the grinder.

I hate sour/acid coffee so I tried everything to get rid of it. I use espresso beans (less acidity), and grind them to a size right between espresso and drip (sort of like table salt or sugar). For the 3 cup Moka Pot I use 15.5 g of untempered coffee. Start with boiling water in the bottom, use a towel to screw on the top. After about 45 s of extraction time I get an amazing coffee that isn't sour at all.

Maybe give it another shot and keep experimenting with grind sizes

Moka pot is probably my favorite home method. But currently doing French press so I can make a thermos' worth in one go. It's not bad with freshly-ground coffee.

>acidity in coffee is killing me
you tried a darker roast?

As far as cold brew goes, I'd do lid-on (how I did it with the French press during summer), brew at room temps for at least 12h, strain and chill overnight. When I did it, the stuff came out pretty strong, and though I didn't drink it hot I suspect it would have been perfectly fine with some milk warmed on the stove or even a shot of boiling water mixed in.

Ive got the same setup, plus a french press, turkish coffee pot, and a cheap plastic pourover filter.

who /bullletproof/ here

Someone shill me manual grinders, are they decent? Is it really tiring? Low maintenance?

Pain in the ass to grind in the morning

No, cause I dont like putting spoonfuls of fat in my coffee. Isn't bad enough that you americans already put in 50% cream, 50% milk in your coffee instead of normal full cream milk? And now you're overloading it with butter and coconut oil?

who puts heavy cream/double cream in the their coffee? single cream/half and half is absolutely the best option.

Thanks, how long does it take to grind enough for say 1 espresso?

Oxo airtight coffee container for beans.
Grinder is a Gourmia burr and I don't really like it. I got it as a gift but think I'm going to go for something more serious.
French press and moka for me. Bodum and a Chef's Secret. The moka worked well for me for many years but it's seeing some wear and tear, lid and handle are warped. It cost half as much as others but even so I'm surprised it could be worn down, was well conducted imo.

Cold brew usually comes out as a concentrate, so just add some boiled water to make some americano and so forth

I tried it once and felt nauseous for the rest of the day. Turns out it's just a david wolfe tier meme

anywhere between 30 seconds and 30 minutes.

I have an expensive setup and still buy freshly roasted coffee through top tier roasters like Tim Wendelboe, George Howell, and Coffee Collective.

There are good ones, but all the ones cheaper than the Aergrind are utter trash for grind quality and usability.

I cant get my fucken moka pot to not spurt shit EVERYWHERE

While i think moka pots are the best, im too rushed in the morning to bother with it. I honestly have never had s problem with drip coffee machines, and idk why some people are too pretentious to appreciate it.

Most peoples experience with it has been from a pot thats been sitting around for four hours, brewed in a 20 year old machine

Clean it thoroughly, don't put so much water in, turn the heat down, and keep the fucking lid close you dumbass.

No.

Alright let your shit spatter everywhere, asshole

No.

This and a Breville Espresso machine.

This is definitely it. People get used to thinking of drip coffee as gas station coffee or shitty diner coffee.

No aero-bros?

$5. Best coffee you will ever make.

is that a #2?
smallest one I've ever seen was the #4 filter size

I don't have that exact one but I own a #2. perfect for single cup coffee.

I've been using an aeropress every morning for 11 or 12 years now. Also have a grinder I got on amazon from handground. Works pretty well and takes just about the same amount of time to grind the beans as it does for my kettle to come up to temp.

easy mode: use a lower heat setting (if possible)

advanced mode: pack more coffee into the filter basket to resist the pressure of the steam. that resistance also applies to the water/coffee and experimanting with that will help you yeild the best cuppa out of your device.
proceded with caution, tho, because high pressure devices can go boom!

moka pots are a meme for car campers and caribbean/south american 3rd world countries without electricity. it's a fun toy but there's no reason to use one if you can run an actual espresso machine.

time, motherfucker. do you have it!

if it doesn't take over 40 minutes to warm up then it isn't a true espresso machine.

It's a completely different process and flavor. Might as well say why make espresso when you can just eat the beans

You're completely right. Moka shitboxes are weak. You need that compression button on that fucking bialatta thing to even get any crema.

It's all wasted garbage.

we have one on our boat. it works well for that garbage vacuum pack espresso (pilon, bustelo) but versus a real espresso machine it's a pain in the ass joke. not something you would ever want to use every day.

crema tastes like shit and only serves as an indicator of freshness.
the only reason it became desirable is because it's presence indicated that the beans used were fresh.

Lads, I have a moka pot that I use when I'm in the mood for something stronger, but whenever I use it I get a really strange white buildup in the bottom conpartment of it. Anyone elae experience this problem/know what it is?

Sounds like your local water just has a high mineral content that's being left behind when it boils away. or if it's showing up after some time it could be mold from not cleaning/letting it dry properly.

the solution to your problem is stainless steel.

home-barista.com/brewing/moka-pot-varieties-hairsplitting-or-real-differences-t6923.html

I'm doing my best to clean/dry it thoroughly after every use, and only use filtered water. It only shows up after it sits for some time

if you're using a cheap chinese moka pot clone then it's probably leaking from the aluminium.

Or, you know, anybody who'd like the ability to make an almost-espresso at home on occasion but isn't into it enough to devote the money and permanent bench space and maintenance time to the project that an espresso machine demands.

It says it was made in Italy, I got it at a flea market.

what you will end up with after brewing for at least 12 hours is a delicious concentrate. dilute it 1-1 ( or less or more depending on how strong you like your coffee) and like another user said, if you want warm coffee in the morning just do equal parts boiling water to the concentrate. you could even microwave the concentrate just a little so its not cold from the fridge when you add the boiled water.

cold brew should help with your acidity problems, and it tastes really fucking good too

>shitty $5 blade grinder from goodwill (has to be better then preground, right?)
>plastic pour over from who knows where, paper filters
>cold brew thing I don't use that often
>12 cup auto drip
>standard cheapo french press
I dream of a bitchin coffee station setup but I'll have to push past this poorfag stage

I want to be triggered by your grinder choice, but finding a small automatic grinder suitable for one or two cups a day, thats good quality, and reasonably priced is next to impossible.

I have the 1 cup version too. I like the taste but it doesn't make enough of it,. It's tedious to have to make multiple cups.

My arsenal. The small Italian one for espresso, the goofy looking und Cooks up two espressi, the Big italian one for more Coffee and the big dissolve style one (whatever the correct terms in Englisch would be for those mashines) for when i want lighter coffee in the morning.

I grind fresh eveyday with the coffeegrinder, love the taste but it takes a while... i mostly drink coffee black.

>two espressi
If you're going to be a pretentious asshole with your Italian plurals, at least use the right terminology. It's called a doppio.

Additum: even though i have 4 coffeemachines i dont have a teekettle. I cook my tea in a pot in my fireplace like a literal bunga.

Mi scusi amgio...

>Italian uses Italian word on an international website
>flyover spergs out
Never change, plebeian.

>the plural of espresso is dopio
tard

I got a Jura and haven’t looked back since. Use to use a french press, but pushing a button and magically getting coffee is too damn convenient.

He's German you ingrate. Or did you really think olivenöl was Italian for olive oil.

(I'm the coffeename culprit) Austrian actually.

So can anyone tell whats the correct plural of doppio ?
monsingore maybe?

Thank you, very accurate

I want one. Too bad they're like $1000

What's the difference flavor-wise between espresso and any ol' coffee brewed to ~10% TDS and 20% extraction? Could I just combine coffee and water in a 1:2 ratio in an Aeropress, infuse for however long it takes to get to 18-22% extraction before pressing and pass that off as an espresso? Obviously there won't be crema, but what's the difference in flavor?

Aeropress and a burr grinder.

I got a lavazza pod machine which is nice too.

Not a fan of the moka pot and my french press has been superseded by the aeropress

pretentious faggots

You're better off getting it ground at the roaster than that.

Not really. You just have a ridiculous 1950s idea of what "reasonable" means. $200 is fucking nothing.

Every fucking thread there's at least one cunt that proudly declares they only drink freeze dried trash like its a badge of honor

It's the same ridiculous shit you see in all kinds of other things where liking something worse is somehow more "manly". Kinda people who dismiss anything that's not Bud-Light as sissy beer, but are dimensionally incapable of doing a pushup with their beer belly.

I'd rather spend $200 on something fun than a shitty department store coffee grinder from a brand that also sells chinese-made toasters and blenders

>enjoying anything that takes a bit more effort makes you pretentious
What a faggot.

how do i order coffee?
youtube.com/watch?v=DcQFBdLNvZU

why does she get embarassed when she finds out T meant tall?
why the fuck is she nearly collapsing and having a panic attack over coffee

You can get a refurbished one for $500-700

>tilting your cold iced cup of coffee before lifting it stops from the cup sticking to the coaster from the condensation
you learn new stuff everyday

Can I make iced coffee by doing a normal strength pourover directly over a container full of ice cubes?

All my attempts at making iced coffee from brewed coffee have tasted like shit.

I didn't know Orphan Espresso, Knock, and Baratza made toasters

honestly senpai I think you're better off with cold brew if it's an option. Dilute to taste. I'm told that it is in fact possible to make acceptable iced coffee from hot-brewed coffee, but I've never figured it out myself, and I suspect the trick is just serving it with lots of sweetened condensed milk or similar.

>Any Arabica coffee grind
>1/4th cup of non dairy creamer
>1 pack of stevia
>1 pinch nutmeg
>1 tsp of mint extract.

Best coffee you'll ever have.

To be honest, if you take out the hyperbole I was a bit like that my first couple of times trying to go to cafes. I'd never been to one and had to figure it out for myself, and at the age of 25 was sure I was expected to just know.

you forgot the cum