I made steak for the first time in my life today...

I made steak for the first time in my life today. I usually order medium in restaurants although I don't mind medium-rare, too.

How well is this cooked? It tastes great if a little chewy.

>tastes great

Then there ya go. No need to post a thread asking if your steak is cooked well. Sage

Looks like a perfect medium-rare.

Looks absolutely fine, man. I’d murder that steak. Keep trying, you have nowhere to go but up and you’re clearly capable of making steak

Looks good OP. I like mine a little rarer though. What did you season with?
Sage isn't a downvote faggot.

That's medium

I rolled it in peppercorn and cooked with garlic and oregano.

Sounds tasty? You cook it with butter? Or oil?

Cooked in oil but just before I was finished I put some butter and continually basted.

That first question mark was unintended.

Overcooked for my tastes.
If I ordered a medium-rare at a restaurant I'd send it back if it was cooked that far

Looks like a pretty good steak. You did a good job

I'm harshly judging you on your question marks. I almost loaded my gun.

medium with uniform colour. It's fine. Cook it hotter and faster next time. Steaks can take 600F if you're not using teflon.

Sorry sir. Won't happen again?

maybe if you want to split hairs, but if you ordered medium rare at your average restaurant, that's what i'd expect it to look like. obviously it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than my first steak.

How do you get to 600F on a home stovetop, exactly?

You're scum.

no.

That's medium for sure.

I've noticed that every restaurant just assumes that the customer has no idea what medium rare actually looks like. So its always over or under quite a bit.

I use a 2600watt element on stainless, or I go outside and use my Broil Mate that can hit 700 plus. Throw a pad of butter on top of a reverse seared ribeye and you'll have a steak you can't imagine from a grill. I'm not kidding. I've made people freak out.

That's definitely more medium than it is medium rare.

Steakhouses get away with it because they have flame broilers putting flavour on the steak regardless of their doneness. It all tastes awesome because of fire.

user, that steak is at least twice as thick as the one OP posted, and the photo's got way higher contrast. if you actually look at the rim of cooked meat around the edges, you'll see that this is actually cooked pretty similar to OP's, if a bit hotter and faster. medium rare looks different when a steak is that thin.

No no no, you need to work faster for medium rare with a thin steak. If it's thin, you need to work at scorching temperature. That's the relationship with thickness and doneness. It becomes impossible at thicknesses less than an inch. We already know this.

That's why a prime rib is almost always medium rare. It doesn't have the chance to become anything else.

That's closer to medium well than anything. I'd send it back also if I asked for medium rare?

That is no where close to medium rare.
That's like a tit hair over well done

the steak in OP's post is definitely an inch at the very most, looks more like 0.8 to me.

Don't forget that the steak probably lost a shitload of volume cuz all the juices were cooked out o fit

It looks OK, but you've made the same mistake a ton of people make and you didn't use high enough heat. That's why it's overdone and insufficiently seared on both sides.

To me this looks medium, maybe a slightly higher heat for more sear on the outside, but really if to you it tastes good then it tastes good. That's the kind of steak I'd slice and make a steak sandwich out of, with watercress and lots of English mustard. I recommend trying the reverse sear method btw, having cook a lot of steaks in a lot of different ways it's the most consistent and best tasting.