Basil

I've just bought basil for the first time in my life. What should I do with it? I don't like to fry things and I was considering eating it raw.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3w8eeh/im_michael_greger_md_founding_member_and_fellow/cxu8c2b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Chiffonade (French pronunciation: [ʃi.fɔ.nad]) is a slicing technique in which herbs or leafy green vegetables (such as spinach and basil) are cut into long, thin strips. This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll.

Make pesto

You could make caprese, pesto, thai summer rolls..

Bruschetta.

Hu, all this time I thought that pesto was a meal and not a sauce. Thanks Veeky Forums.

Just cut some tomatoes and mozzarella into slices, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and garnish with basil leaves. A delicious summer meal.

Which direction do you roll them? Parallel to the main vein or curling it?

I think that you're only supposed to have the leaves.

>bought
>not picking it fresh from your garden

I add fresh leaves to sandwiches to make them deliciouser

So you can just eat this shit raw?

I almost put basil on everything.
I just fucking love basil

ofc retard you can eat all kinds of herbs raw.

Just add it to anything with tomatoes in. Put it fresh on pizza on pasta, put it in your tomato sauce. Its a great relatively inoffensive herb that could pretty much go with anything
Yeah of course man

The whole leaves are nice in a salad.
And also is almost everything else.

"Parallel to the main vein" would be the same as "parallel to the roll."

So, "perpendicular to the roll" would be pic related, which would have been one of the first images to appear in a search.

Marinade thick cut pork chops in garlic, basil, lemon juice and olive oil...grill.

it's pretty good on pizza

Make some fried eggs with a few basil leaves in the pan

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3w8eeh/im_michael_greger_md_founding_member_and_fellow/cxu8c2b

Make a Caprese salad.

Alternating layer of sliced tomato, sliced mozarella, and basil leaves, with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Of course you can but they just taste like fancy leaves. Spices work their magic best when cooked

>they just taste like fancy leaves
>fancy leaves

I think the most creative thing I did with basil leaves was this past summer I made gin and tonics with basil leaves and watermelon muddled at the bottom and a couple of friends squirts of lime juice and slices for garnish on top with two shakes of angostura bitters to balance it all out

Oh the other creative thing I did with basil this last summer was make a basil and balsamic remoulade for BLTs with fatty slices of heirloom tomatoes, personally hand cut bacon, on some dank kamut bread from a local baker.

basil isn't a spice.

Basil goes flawlessly with strawberry too. Especially in cocktails

>eating it raw.

It goes really nice with tomato, obviously.. So in salads with tomato, on sandwiches. Maybe a grilled cheese.

I'm eating Penne Arrabiata with some chopped basil in it now. I add most during the cooking of the tomato sauce, and a little raw after plating.