Are wild onions like these edible?

Are wild onions like these edible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uVORfWO0VRs
wildernessarena.com/dangers/plants/poisonous-plants/death-camas-death-lily
dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html
sepa.org.uk/environment/biodiversity/invasive-non-native-species/invasive-non-native-species-faqs/
planttracker.org.uk/
express.co.uk/news/weird/591654/WATCH-Did-Genesis-bizarrely-predict-Britain-s-Giant-Hogweed-nightmare-44-years-ago
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why wouldn't it be?

yes retard

I would think so. I dont know of any poisonous onion like plants.

Yes they are but the flavor is closer to garlic than to onion. I made cornbread with them once and it was superior to using green onions.

I dunno, never seen anyone eat them and everyone around here treats them as weeds. They certainly grow like them.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll put some in my stir fry tonight.

OP is holding a wild garlic plant and you may have also picked some of them mistaking them for onions. I did it at first. I did the same thing at first.

Watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=uVORfWO0VRs

They're both amazing and extremely common. I could pick bushels of them in the spring and summer if I wanted.

If we don't hear back from you, we'll assume the correct answer was "no".

This.

But also, if you are going around looking to pick wild onions, beware. Depending on where you live, you could mistake them for death camas which looks very similar.

wildernessarena.com/dangers/plants/poisonous-plants/death-camas-death-lily

Nature is fucked. I'll stick to the supermarket.

>youtube.com/watch?v=uVORfWO0VRs
>hunt your own food
>foraging wild shrooms and herbs
Makes me wish I lived near a forest

Yes, but they need to be picked very young like your pic because as they mature they get very tough and stringy. My Korean wife made some kimchi from some we picked and it was very good but it was tedious for her because you have to remove the tough outer skin to get at the tender bulb. They'd be very good in a stir fry or curry.

Seems easy to distinguish based on smell and the presence of flowers based on that. Wild onions smell like onions while death camas doesn’t, and wild onions don’t have white flowers like those.

Granted, it's not exactly rocket science... but for people who don't realize that they exist, it could still fuck you. Also, people have gotten into trouble while backpacking or in a survival situation being idiots or not thinking clearly/disoriented and have mistakenly eaten those. Shit happens. Better to be informed than not.

yes they are high T onions. My dog eats them all the time

Onions are poisonous to dogs.

not my dog, my dog has tungsten digestive system

yeah right, that's why you gave it brain damage and fucked up its depth perception

not my fault it eat natural weeds in the yard fuck him

No onion is edible, that's why they all taste like shit

The problem comes from people who are mentally unable to pay attention to details. They may know the difference or at least have been told the difference. Then they go out and harvest a bucket of the food, bring it home, cook it, and get seriously ill. Why? Because of all the stuff they picked, only 1-2 plants were a look alike and they didn't check every plant. They assumed and didn't look closer.

Actual wild onions are, obviously, edible, but not every plant that looks like your pic is a wild onion.

Sniff test?

Unless Daucus carota smells like hemlock it'd be hard to get them confused, right? One of my chores growing up was hoeing the fuck out of any hemlock to stop it contaminating the hay.

Correct, but as already stated, all it takes is for the person to become lazy and not identifying every single plant. It can be a daunting task for some people when harvesting enough for a couple of people to eat. Also, smell tests need to be done correctly so that you don't end up re-smelling the odor off your own hands.

Aren't wild carrots hairy stemmed and hemlocks blotchy? I had some survival book when I was a kid and that stuck in my memory

huh i didn't know garlic grew like that
informative post

They have several differences, but people still get things mixed up. As that image in states, you should always use as many keys of identification as you can when identifying something you want to ingest in any manner. Nature has always been a good way to clean out the gene pool.

I don't know every plant on the planet but for my own local flora I would trust the sniff test.

I have a lot of these kind of little white flower plants near me, one on the left was taller than the abandoned shack next to it

>one on the left was taller than the abandoned shack next to it

Jesus fuck, user. That looks like Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum), do not touch it. If you do touch it, all body parts that touched the plant or its juices need to be washed ASAP and covered 100% from all light sources with something completely light proof for 2 full weeks. Otherwise...... well, just google image search "giant hogweed" rash to find out what you'd need to live with for the next few YEARS.

Should I report it to someone? I know exactly where it is, and as you can see there's loads around it.
This may sound retarded but it was big and scary so I didn't even go near it, glad my gut feeling was right. maybe my sense of height is wrong but it seems a fair bit bigger than 2metre's tall? Is that just because there are so many trees around that it needed to grow higher?

Yes, report it. Where do you live?
dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Scotland, all I'm finding are dead links right now but I'll keep looking for something. There is an app where you can post where they are, so I'll do that also.

sepa.org.uk/environment/biodiversity/invasive-non-native-species/invasive-non-native-species-faqs/

You'll need to register and all that to report.

Was already on there but thanks, I guess I'm just blind. Been a long day and hearing about Aniki really tired my eyes out. Have another flower gardener-user, It's actually the field im aiming to get into so maybe I'll go out and just look at more plants.

planttracker.org.uk/

If you need to remove the plant, just spray them with an herbicide before they go to seed. Don't touch any part of it, even after it is dead for a long time.

[email protected]

Reported, got a perfect map reference for it, so we should be sorted.

My camp counselor showed me about these.
Sure brings back memories.

This. Or false garlic, which can also look like wild onion.

My camp counselor showed me his cock

Thanks for mentioning your wife is Korean. I wouldn't have known how much of a faggot you were without it.

Some of them are EXTREMELY potent and the taste will linger in your mouth for days.
I made this mistake.

That's just sad, that dog is really fucked.

I sincerely hope it's not your dog.

Yes, I saw survivorman eat them

Your jealousy is palpable ;) Keep tranny fapping, incel.

Allium canadense is a common and invasive wild onion in the UK.
Technically, it's edible, but it has an aroma reminiscent of dogshit, as well as the onion flavour.

>reading up on this giant hogweed
>It was introduced to Britain as an ornamental plant in the 19th century, and it has also spread to many other parts of Europe, the United States, and Canada.

Can the *ngloid do anything right

yes as long as it tastes like onion. if it looks like that but dies not taste like onion it's poisonous and will cause gastrointestinal cramps and a shitty death.

I'm pretty sure that dog is just blind in one eye.
It otherwise looks like a happy well-fed doggo.

My dog is like 2 or 3 years old and she can't catch food I thorw at her

Is she retarded

>ornamental plant

More like a big, "fuck you neighbor" plant.

I don't see whats the big deal with giant hogweed, I had a bunch of it around my house as a kid and the worst it would do is make you a bit itchy.

This is OP, I ate them and they were good. Didn’t die or get sick. Will be picking and eating in the future.

At least in North Carolina, they are called "ramps", and there is an annual festival about gathering and eating them.

Sort of like the whole fiddlehead fern thing up in the northeast, or the spring mushroom hunts in Washington state.

>the flavor is closer to garlic than to onion.
This, the smell is maddeningly strong.

>Jesus fuck, user. That looks like Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum), do not touch it.
I thought you were just trolling, but. . . .

express.co.uk/news/weird/591654/WATCH-Did-Genesis-bizarrely-predict-Britain-s-Giant-Hogweed-nightmare-44-years-ago