Popcorn like the Movie Theater

Is there any way to get this stuff without going to a movie theater and spending >$20? Even a cheapo popcorn machine doesn't seem to do it justice.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane#Safety
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I go to rural king, it's free.
You can even walk around and shop while eating it, but I prefer to just sit and watch the rooster.

They use a special salt called Flavacol. It's got some kind of savory compound that LITERALLY stimulates your hunger senses when you smell it. They sell Flavacol online you can buy it on amazon. I don't use it though.

After doing a lot of experimentation, I've gotten it down to a science.

First of all, you need to get a really big bowl. Bigger than the amount of popcorn you'll be making, because you'll be tossing the popcorn. You could also just hold two big bowls together and toss between them.

Second of all, get popcorn salt, yes the finer texture makes a difference.

Third, get this. Orville's butter flavored oil.

Fourth, use an air popper.

So what you're gonna do is air pop the popcorn, and then drizzle on 2-4 tbsp of melted REAL butter. Then shake a little salt on top so the salt sticks to the butter. Then toss it well. Afterwards, drizzle a little of the oil on top and a little more salt, and then toss again. Continue tossing and adding a little salt until it's just right.

This is the closest I have ever gotten to authentic kino corn.

Diacetyl.

That's all you need to know.

I make it at home. I clarify some butter, pop the kernels in peanut oil, and use finely powdered PHS on everything. Just drizzle the clarified butter on the popcorn while shaking the container vigerously to get good coverage. Add the PHS a little at a time, shaking the popcorn every so often to get good coverage. Sometimes I also use powdered hot pepper, cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. In about 30 minutes I have have a gargantuan stock pot full of popcorn that will last all week. the trick is getting the clarified butter to start turning brown just a bit. That gives it lots of flavor. Don't burn it though.

If the butter is merely melted and not clarified, the water in the butter will make the popcorn soggy.

>If the butter is merely melted and not clarified, the water in the butter will make the popcorn soggy.
Could you just use ghee?

Add 30:70 ethyl acetate hexane solution

Alternatively, some mercaptoethanol should do the trick. Stick in the UV oven and that ought to do the trick

OP, you want to get it just right, then:

1) premium kernels, so only Orville. Orville is genetically modified to pop entirely with no duds. Fresher is better, so the lidded jar is better than some dry-it--out bag.
2) Butter flavored oil. Like another user said, get that yellow oil they sell. I use olive oil, or corn oil, but the yellow butter flavored oil adds a theatre simulation. You need a pot with lid, and to the do kernel in Tbsp oil test and then cover the bottom and do it old fashioned like that.
3) very fine salt. Whether you buy specific popcorn salt, or just use a quality sea salt grinder. It makes a difference to be super fiine. It's nicer on the fingertips too..
4) Pour over some extra butter at the end. I nuke mine in a pyrex measuring cup, and that butter is done and waiting as I pour the popcorn out into the bowl. Half a bowl, then pour over, then the salt, top off the bowl with the rest of the hot popcorn, and more pour over plus salt.

Microwaves and hot air poppers cook the already popped corn too much. It toughens it. They're not bad, but they're not ideal. With cooking it in a pot, it's all relatively done at nearly the same time, around the same 15 second time frame, and then you're off the heat anyway.

Fancy popcorn: I buy dried ancho chilies, cut it into strips, and fry in olive oil til crisped up. I pour the hot chili strips and oil over popcorn, and add some lime, lime zest and salt.

Yes, if you have the amount of time needed to actually make real ghee. The store stuff is not as good I think and ghee really is a major pain to make.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane#Safety

>butter flavored oil
>air popper
user....

Just try it before you criticize it.
Yes I'm aware that the theater uses coconut / palm oil in a popper, but I don't have a machine that continually stirs the popcorn so the popped pieces dont sit on the bottom and soak up oil.

I use a wide pot with a mesh lid "with paper towls covering it" and I work in batches, shaking it occasionally.

>use a wide pot with a mesh lid
Seems like a wok might be a good option if anybody had one.
Also, what kind of oil do you use

I like to add olive oil to my popcorn. And one of those cheeze/salt shakers too

regular or evoo

I feel like fresh evoo would be too pungent

I got some snappys butter oil and its just like the theatre. I also picked up some flavacol but that shit is so salty that I dont even use it. I dont understand how youre supposed to get an even coating on your popcorn without making it too salty. Either not enough and half of it is missing it or it tastes like the baltic

I use a standard pot with lid. Nothing special. I angle the pot so only the rim on one side touches the burner area. The kernels and oil pool there. As soon as the popping starts, I raise the pot up enough to start shaking it while holding the lid with an oven mitt. I make several batches.

personally I go cheap and use corn oil. it has a neutral flavor, but next time i buy oil for it i'm going to give coconut a try.

Dude, get one of those oven gloves. things are amazing.

That is what an oven mitt is, just another name.

shit, sorry. Looks like the proper term is "Ove glove" Either way, the extra dexterity is really nice. and it's a bit better made than a typical ovenmitt.

I see. I have similar stuff I can use.

buy some popcorn (the unpopped popping corn, it's like $1) heat pure olive oil in the bottom of a pan on medium heat olive oil has a low burning point so dont go huts, then when the heat starts to pop drop in a nice handful of sea salt (the flakey sort, $4). Then add your popcorn, pop a lid on it with the heat kicking and it'll be perfect.