Found these in Southern California. Would you risk eating these?

Found these in Southern California. Would you risk eating these?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=false morel cross-section
youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI&t=114s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nah

Aren't those those mushrooms that only pop up after a forest fire and are worth like 300 dollars a pound?

Yup. But there are supposed to be fakes too that look similar but are poisonous. Also I have no idea where I would sell them since I live in Orange County and there aren't too many places that buy gourmet mushrooms. My friend found them and sent the pic on snapchat but I know enough about mushrooms to realize he may have hit the motherload. He seems hesitant about taking them somewhere to get properly identified and he may just try them.

He was thinking about breading them.

Yeah. They look like morels.

Tell him to not be an idiot and get them properly identified. Why risk poisoning yourself?

>Why risk poisoning yourself?
That's what the homeless are for.

I've done as much but he doesn't want to drive to LA to get them checked by the mycological society there. He may just give up entirely but I did tell them they were a delicacy and valuable.

Good idea.

This.

Anyone here know where it would be best to sell these in the Orange County/LA area? They probably got swooped on by mushroom hunters already but may if he's lucky he'll get a garbage bag full of them.

Cut them in half lengthwise and look at how the stem attaches. "False morels" are very different from real morels.

google.com/search?q=false morel cross-section

I love mushroom picking and I did a lot of that last autumn but I have never stumbled upon these.

If you can confirm these are indeed morels (there used to be a thread in /out/ for mushroom identification) you could either eat them or try to grow them yourself:

youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI&t=114s

And as another user says, they're pretty expensive so you're lucky if they turn out to be what you think they are.

Are they hollow inside from stem to cap? Then you've got valuable and edible morels

they are called morels

goes well with an alfredo sauce and chicken pasta

i'm not 100% on the species, but they are definitely morels
tasty af
make sure to wash thoroughly

OP if you're still here and not dead from mycotoxicosis, just do a quick search for "morel vs false morel". These are likely safe to eat, but there are some poisonous lookalikes out there.

btw, you can put them in sauce like other people are saying, but I like them best just fried in butter and garlic. you can bread them with a little flour if you want. These shrooms have a really really good flavor that I don't like to mask with alfredo or whatever.

Good find, and bon apetit!

Look like morels to me. The imitation morels aren't very hard to tell apart desu. Eat up.

>be around the fires the past few months
>Literally fire in my area every month for 3 months
>See the hills covered in some bright green-eyed shit where it was burned twice
So that's what sprouts from that shit to bring life back to the area?

Still alive. Waiting for my friend to drive out and collect a trash bag full of these. I have no idea how to sell them so we're just going to pig out. I already stumbled on the website comparing fake morels to real morels. I'm feeling lucky.

It looks like a morel.

You can eat the poisonous one, that is a Morel, not the false Morel. The false Morel looks like a brain. To prepare it you just have to cook a slice for about 5 minutes on either side in oil or butter. Neutralizes the toxin. I used to pick the poisonous ones for cooking.

My friend just sliced one in half. Here is the cross section. Gimmie recipes boys.

Forgot the picture

>Here is the cross section

Dredge in flour, salt, pepper, a little cayenne, fry it in butter and eat it when it it crispy.

Mistakes into miracles

He made it sound like he had more but he's probably gonna share with me since I told him what they are.

Last picture.

looks like a peener

hey come on now lets be adults here.

isn't the hollow ones the poison ones?

Gonna eat them tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted up until organ failure. Maybe I'll live stream my own potential death.

Yeah you'll be fine. Enjoy them

I usually just dredge them in flour with some salt and black pepper then fry them in butter. I've also had them stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, crab, and green onion.

Like virtually all mushrooms, I simply find them overrated. They herald spring, are one of the first edible mushrooms to appear, look beautiful, have an interesting ecology, are compound apothecia etc but I just don't think their taste is on the top 5 of their cool attributes.

But enjoy of course and let us know how you prepare them. I won't be seeing morels for at least two months.