What is the secret to excellent fried chicken?

What is the secret to excellent fried chicken?

in my opinion nobody does chicken better than the chinks. with their "velveting" technique

as far as fried chicken goes, its good to go hot and fast.

Being Korean.

Nah I mean traditional fried chicken not coated in a sugary sauce.

ya gotta season it white bwoi xD

You've never had it plain jane? That's unfortunate.

>nobody knows chicken like chickens

let it soak in buttermilk

How hot and how fast?

let it soak in a lemon herb brine.

These. Letting the chicken soak or brine really makes a difference. I like to go overnight but an hour or two will do the trick.

For breading, I like to use seasoned flour and some corn starch. Put the chicken in the dry mix, then into a wash of egg and milk, then back into the dry, then fry it up. Makes it pretty crispy.

I try around 350 F.

I make a buttermilk marinade with some dijon, lots of tabasco, and your usual blend of spices. Bread them with onion, garlic, mustard, and pepper powders. Then they’re fried until they’re 130 and baked until they’re 170.

Celery salt and paprika.

>finishing them in the oven
Yeah, especially when you're southern frying. It's hard to keep the pan and oil at perfect temp to prevent over-browning when you shallow fry like that, so the oven is a good option.

Lemonpepper wet and marinade.
You nut.

>lemonpepper
The crutch of any newb cook.

/thread

there is literally no secret to it, its super easy to do with minimal effort

-Soak it in buttermilk for at least an hour (or overnight)
-heavily season your flour. Lots of salt, paprika for color, some cayenne, whatever else you want, and it doesn't hurt to add a tbsp or two of powdered sugar.
-drip some of the buttermilk into the dredging flour before you dredge your chicken. You'll get some nice little crispy breading nuggets on your finished product.

>crispy breading nuggets
those are good in the chicken pan gravy that comes after the frying.

mix
>flour
>cornmeal
>seasonings

put
>some oil in a pan, NOT a lot, just enough to fill up maybe 1/4 of an inch of the skillet

cook
>chicken for a long fucking time

is the secret to good home cooked fried chicken. No deep fryer necessary. And when I say a long time I mean A LONG FUCKING TIME. If you think it's overcooked you didn't go far enough yet. You want a thick hard super salty crush to form on the outside of each piece. It should not comform to the shape of the chicken, it should flat from where it was against the skillet.

I am from Kentucky and this is the real KFC. This is how everyone cooks chicken here, not what you find in the restaurant.

Heres what I do, its a nice less is more type approach for SUPER crispy fried chicken:
1. Marinate chicken pieces completely submerged in a 66% butter milk and 33% water blend
2. Completely coat in a 75% flour, 25% baking soda mix. If you want you can add some spices or pepper to the blend too depending on what youre making but for typical fried chicken and mash type stuff you wont need anything.
3. If small (like a wing) fry for 6 minutes at 365F in canola/vegetable oil, if big (like a full leg) fry for 8 minutes at 365F in oil. Do these in small batches as to make sure theyre crispy and cooked all the way.
4. Once all the batches are fried, toss all batches back in the 365F oil for 1-2 minutes right before serving to really crispen it up. (should be golden colored when done)
5. Salt to your taste, pepper optional.

Oh ya, make sure the chicken is completely submerged in the oil (like deep frying), another reason to do small batches.