Tasteless Rice

Whenever I cook rice it quickly looses all its flavour and becomes tasteless in the end.

I make sure the flavours are stronger than they need to be in the beginning, like adding a bit too much salt, etc, make sure the water is just above rice level, bring it to the boil then reduce to the lowest heat and proceed to cook for like an hour.

If I have the heat higher it tends to burn on the bottom making it taste nasty, while still not cooking the rice.

I feel like I'm doing something incredibly wrong.

Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-furikake-japanese-rice-seasoning/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try cooking your rice in broth instead of water.

That's essentially what I'm doing. Broth is just stock, vegetables, spices n such simmered in water.

How the fuck are you cooking rice for an hour? It takes like 20 minutes to cook rice. No wonder it's turning into a tasteless blob.

It doesn't turn into a blob. It completely retains its texture. And, as I said in my post, heating it more makes it burn at the bottom without cooking the rice through. Could you help?

Uh, not really sure if you're being serious here or not, but if it's just water and salt then it won't be like broth. The vegetables and spices and whatnot really make it taste different. Seriously, I suggest going out and just swapping for broth wholesale.

No but seriously why is it taking you an hour to boil rice? How much are you making at once?

Spoon some coconut oil into the water. Tastes great on its own or with a dash of soy sauce

>1 hour to cook rice

what the fuck are you doing buddy

I feel like you're not taking me seriously or at least not really listening to me. I never said it's just water and salt. I know what broth is, and that is what I'm using. I wouldn't go for wholesale, I prefer to make my own.

I'm not boiling the rice, I'm steaming it. A whole pot of it. Slow cooking rice isn't unheard of, but it shouldn't be flavourless.

Same happens even with coconut oil.

Refer to my previous comments.

have you considered the possibility that you simply don't like rice?

>i'm steaming it

Yeah there's your problem. Cook it the normal way.

I love rice.

Steaming is fairly normal and should if anything make it tastier. Correct me if I'm wrong though. And, as I keep saying, cooking on high heat makes it burn without cooking.

Steaming is the normal way to cook rice, dum dum. What do you think you're doing? Braising it?

The whole point of adding aromatics or broth to rice is that it will absorb the flavor whole it cooks. You completely cancel that out when you steam it. Have you ever reduced a sauce? You'll notice that removing water by boiling concentrates the flavor, because steam is literally nothing but water and microscopic amounts of whatever you put in the water.

Holy shit. No. The normal way is a fucking 2:1 ratio on the stove because you're not a fucking retard who can't cook something as simple as rice without a special contraption.

Is rice supposed to have flavor? I always considered it like potatoes or bread. Mostly carbs that need something else to add flavor.

Boiling is just steaming at a much higher temperature. In terms of sauce, the exact same thing happens: flavours concentrate as water is removed. If anything, cooking it on low temperature would concentrate it more as nothing BUT the water is evaporating.

I don't use a special contraption, I use a hob as you said. And 2:1 is most assuredly NOT the "normal" way.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE NOT SAY SOMETHING RETARDED.

This is so tiring.

It can do, but I get what you're saying.

You're calling everyone retarded but you literally can't cook rice. You're the retard here man.

Yup, this is bait alright. Y'got me.

>tfw overweight tastebudlets need to add butter and rice and stock and whatever other fatty fat shit to taste a simple and subtle flavor as rice

Have you actually read any of the things I've said? You would have a vastly different opinion if you were taking anything in. Why are you even commenting if it's not constructive and directly about my query? And you call me retarded for not being able to do something until I can do it? Kmt.

So much food from around the world has flavoured rice. And you presume that people who eat flavoured rice don't also eat unflavoured rice.

So much bullshit in this thread, literally just answer the question :)

You came here asking for advice but refuse to admit you're doing anything wrong, what the fuck do you expect?

I don't refuse to admit I'm doing anything wrong, I just want someone to make a suggestion that makes sense. This isn't magic.

To follow up, all people have said is that it's impossible to slow cook rice, which is demonstrably wrong. People on a board dedicated to food should know that.

>That's essentially what I'm doing. Broth is just stock, vegetables, spices n such simmered in water.

Broth is that boiled for a looong time.

I'm telling you that I make rice all the time and it tastes like whatever I put in the water because I don't fucking steam it because steam has no flavour because it is just water. If you simply tried cooking it in water instead of blathering on and insisting that steam does in fact have flavour you'd realize how fucking wrong you are and shut your fucking craw but you just want to whine about how your food tastes like crap but it's totally not your fault.

I am cooking it in water, just at a lower temperature so it's not a roaring boil. I'm not suggesting the steam itself has flavour. It's like you have a mission to misconstrue everything I say just for the sake of argument.

I am cooking it just like you or anyone else would, with flavour, at a lower temperature for longer. I don't know why I even have to keep hammering that in, jesus. Now, what do the other millions of people who cook rice using the same basic method as me do to ensure the flavour stays?

I can't think of anything except you're not using enough of whatever you're using for flavour. Either that or your taste buds are defective. In any case I'm pretty convinced that you're a good troll at this point.

I try to make it too flavourful to begin with, like putting in a little too much salt/stock or whatever. Would you suggest even more?

foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-furikake-japanese-rice-seasoning/

Interesting, thank you.

Buy better rice. Use spices or a cooking base. Don't be afraid of "burning" it. That golden-brown crispy layer on the bottom of the pot is the best rice. Many people intentionally try to make that layer. Stop being retarded.

Also what kind of rice are you using? Not all rice is the same.

Brown wholegrain basmati. Ime when the rice starts sticking to the bottom the rest of the rice is only cooked when the sticky but is burning and making everything taste rank. Is there a better way to do it?

wtf white people u cray

I've always hated mexican style rice for the seasoning is way too pungent. I eat rice as a medium, not as some entree.

Use a rice cooker

I agree with the idea of it being a medium, but it can be a tasty yet not overbearing medium. Coconut rice, for example.

What's different about a rice cooker?

add a coupe of bay leaves

t. autistic redditor