Is Sushi a Fast Food?

Is Sushi a Fast Food?

only if its served on roller skates.

Yes. One of the rare varieties that actually gets served quickly anymore.

Historically, yes, it was food to eat quickly and on the go. In contemporary terms, no, it does not fit the concept of fast food as we normally think of it.

Fuck this stupid thread

Not today no, it's a typically more expensive food which is meant to be sat and eaten while pieces are being made and immediately served in front of you, not grabbed on the go.

When i think cheap on the go food in japan i think of Onigiri, Oden, steamed buns and packaged salads

Where do you live that you don't have sushi booths for grabbing it on the go?

What is the contemporary concept of fastfood?

SUSHI IS NOT FAST FOOD

IT TAKES YEARS OF PRACTICE AND DEDICATION

I GAVE UP MY LIFE TO SERVE YOU RAW FISH ON RICE

GIVE ME 300 DORRA GAIJIN

do you ever sleep?

Cheap and easy.

>Cheap
Yeah they are
>Easy
Yeah they are

Norway.

In japan they did have sushi in the convenience stores but even the i wouldn't consider it fast food - it's more expensive than the alternatives, you have to find a stable surface and carefully open the box, pour out the soy sauce and maybe some wasabi into a cup and mix, use chopsticks if you want to keep your hands clean otherwise use wet wipes afterwards, then carefully put the packet back together so not to spill juices/soy sauce before you dispose of it.

In contrast with a steamed bun you get it in a paper sleeve, with one hand chow down then scrunch up the paper and throw or pocket it... same with onigiri. Oden isn't as fast foody as you need to sit down and eat it with a spork but its cheap, quickly consumed and served within seconds of ordering

That guy wasn't me, but I'd say it's
>inexpensive
>usually made from low quality, highly processed ingredients
>high fat, calorie, sodium, or sugar
>usually ready-made, and served very quickly
>served in an establishment that specializes exclusively in this kind of food, and identifies itself as such

The prominent fast food chains aren't cheap at all.

Just get a sushi roll. This is the only way I get sushi. I'd never consider it a sit down meal.

I want to FUCK Kizuna Ai

I saw that docu once. Thought to myself how laughably hard work ethics are in nippon and dull it must be. Just pure suffering, man. How can they find love amidst the 18 hour work day and 5 hours sleep?

It's supposed to be. It's sort of been elevated in the eyes of a lot of people because of all the ritual the Japanese obsess over. Add on to that the normally prohibitive cost of fresh fish in most places make it hard to call it fast food as we usually consider it. There's also a general lack of any real corporate structure. Most sushi restaurants are small and independent. Training and preparation is ad hoc. With the popularity of ornate presentation, chefs are expected to not just be fast but also able to make it aesthetically pleasing to customers.

Historically, in Japan, it was method of preserving fish for shipment to Kyoto. It involved layering the fish in vinegared rice, seaweed, and wasabi paste. As the importance of Edo grew, some guy started to sell fresh fish on vinegared rice, wasabi paste, and seaweed to people used to what they got in Kyoto going to and from work. You can still eat the former variety in Kyoto, but, whereas most sushi is fresh fish, that kind is fermented. The latter evolved into box sushi then nigiri which is the exact opposite of what sushi was ever meant to be.

In a way, it's sort of like a hamburger. You can find them cheap and fast, you can find them expensive and lovingly crafted, and you can go to countries where beef is harder to come by and that cheap ass burger back in the States is now a special treat.

Depends on the restaurant.

They neither worked 18 hours a day nor slept 5 hours a night. It's about intense dedication to someone's craft, not muh funny Jap-an-eeez work too hard. It's also about taking pride in one's work, a concept totally foreign to Americans

What the fuck is wrong with her fingers? Did they get mangled in an industrial accident?

I love that kizuna AI is an ambassador

>How can they find love amidst the 18 hour work day and 5 hours sleep?
They fold their hearts over 1000 times.

The only definition of fast food is making a certain food quickly and in large quantities. Fast food does not necessarily need to be served to go, but it typically is.

The big difference between a traditional restaurant experience and fast food is how long you need to wait.