Special Occasion dinner ideas?

My little lady has a birthday coming up and thought I'd make her a nice steak, but then thought I'd make seafood instead. Then I decided maybe surf and turf.

Does anyone have experience with lobster or crab legs? I've never made them myself, but always enjoy them at restaurants. I grill a mean steak, but I'm thinking maybe trying my hand at lobster thermidor, or maybe even something like a lobster roll + a petite filet.

Any ideas? What's a good way to do lobster? Or even crab or scallops, I guess. I've got a good fishmonger, he's got pretty much anything I'd want.

Other urls found in this thread:

effingdericious.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/thomas-kellers-lobster-rolls-christmas-lunch-2010-part-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's an idea, don't burn the fucking potatoes.

not mine, just a pic i grabbed.

now that you mentioned it, what is a good starch to serve with surf and turf?

Take her to Subway for a Seafood Sensation Sub. You'll get mad anal.

I suggest something non-disease ridden (not meat).

Meat is murder. And it will lead you to an early death from cancer and heart disease and I can't say you won't deserve it.

show her you go against the grain by serving with PURPLE YAMS. they are better than normal red yams and sweet potatoes. trust me. if you don't trust me, cook some for yourself and taste them. Purple yams are much more firmer and with better flavor than normal yams. i fucking hate normal yams now. Purple all the way. Seriously.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everybody deserves an early escape from this sad vale of tears. Even you.

spotted the guy that prefers purple yams

Once you go purple, you don't go back.

it isn't rocket science. boil it. serve with butter

I heard roasting makes for much sweeter and richer meat because boiling takes a lot of the flavor away.

not a bad idea I guess. If I do this, I'll post pics. purple yams, huh?

post your gf's feet

you heard wrong, moron. seafood is meant to be boiled.

based

If you don't mind a more casual, potentially finger-food vibe, cook the lobster and use it to make Thomas Keller's lobster salad roll recipe. It's hands-down the best way I've ever eaten lobster, and I've pretty much tried them all at this point. If you don't want it to be finger food, lightly toast and heavily butter the roll and lay it out just about flat under the lobster salad.

For crab I'd make crab cakes, and with scallops I'd cook them simply and serve with brussels sprouts fried with thick pieces of high quality bacon.

ok, hold on. she's sleeping

goddam your pic related is blowing my fucking mind. Thanks for the advice. Thomas Keller... is this the one?
effingdericious.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/thomas-kellers-lobster-rolls-christmas-lunch-2010-part-1/

How do you know so much about lobster rolls and all that?

Yeah that's the one.
I just like shellfish a lot and have had the opportunity to eat at a lot of phenomenal seafood restaurants in a region where lobster is part of the cuisine. Also everything in the cookbook the recipe is from (Ad Hoc at Home) is phenomenal. It's my go-to for when I want to not just feed but impress a sizeable group.

>ad hoc at home
Doesn't look to bad, desu. I just got a new cookbook, so I want to move through that one first, but I'm going to add this one to my list. Thanks for all the very decent replies, user. it's guys like you that keep Veeky Forums a place to keep coming back to.

>little lady
So she’s a flip and you’re a weeb but you couldn’t pull a nip

BOY YOU BETTER DELIVER

phenomenal

based

Rob?

If you have a BBQ grill. Try this! Take a filet mignon,wrap a strip of bacon around it and spear it with a toothpick. Next, lobster, cut belly shell out with scissors. Cook stark on grill to desire tenderness. Lobster takes about 15 minutes. Shell down put butter in shell like a boat. Might as well roast some corn cobs. Shuck the corn, soak the ears, wrap in foil, they take about half hour. Get some home fries, cook in oven, season withsalt and pepper. When their done cover with cheese. Make a dipping sauce for potatoes. Ranch dressing with pepper.
Key

Greg?

Maine Lobster: Boil that bitch
Florida Lobster: Spit the tail, smear with butter and seasoning, toss on grill or under broiler.
Lobster is one of the easiest things to cook. Like, as long as you don't overcook the shit out of it it's impossible to fuck up.