Poverty Food Thread

Hello Veeky Forums,

I have round about Tree Fiddy in American Dolarydoos to survive the next 4 days or so. Maybe more, who knows?
Currently I am making some pasta, from whatever is left (spaghetti and cellentani) with some feta-type-cheese and poverty tier tomato and pepper spread.
As I only have a hot plate and nothing else (student life sucks). I intend on buying some eggs and bread to make some shitty version of the godly french toast I make, that according to my calculations should last me around 6 days.

What are you cooking?

T-bones from my EBT money

whatever you can steal

Yeah I get assistance too. I carefully budget out most of the month but eat healthy, then binge out on black angus ribeye because there's usually leftover at the end of the month.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet really isn't that expensive. I just wish you could use benefits for medicine, soaps, toiletries.

Buy a couple pounds of beans and rice. Or some potatoes.

/thread

I think it gets laughed off as a meme sometimes but it's true, ilve done it for a year and I'm perfectly happy
Just add sour cream though

OP here, I can boil some potatoes, sure and fry them, not a bad idea. I only like beans in a proper stew and I always fuck up rice. My family basically lived off that when I was in pre-school and some years after that.

I love sured potatoes

who /oats and beans/ here

do you really want LaQuandaa spending her EBT bucks on expensive ass ethnic hair products? Not to go full /pol/tard here but EBT is broken enough as is. It really should be limited to a fixed basket of basic foods only.

What's the best thing for raw beans on a budget??
Get parboiled rice, it is almost impossible to mess up

Get a job. It's that easy.

Im fasting. I drink my cum... salty... keeps me from getting dizzy... cummies in my tummy... feel so funny....

>
>do you really want LaQuandaa spending her EBT bucks on expensive ass ethnic hair products? Not to go full /pol/tard here but EBT is broken enough as is. It really should be limited to a fixed basket of basic foods only.

Most people who use EBT buy the same overpriced/unhealthy shit everyone else does. Unless you're a fucking crackhead that use their EBT to purchase seafood/steaks to exchange for drugs, there's nothing wrong with the current system. Limiting the types of food is fucking stupid because it done under the assumption that some of the disabled/elderly, who receive EBT don't have special diets (low sodium/potassium). The only thing fucked about EBT is the parasites gaming the system and the shit job that's generally done on a local level to punish this behavior.

Parasites gaming the system is like 50% of the system. EBT is a shit system. You can buy fucking lobsters and filet mingion with EBT. It's a free license to go buy whatever the fuck you want with taxpayer money.

Yes there's food allergies, fine. make special provisions for that. But realize that the #1 and #2 items bought on EBT are soda and potato chips. A large percentage of the people given the welfare benefit just blow it on crap. It is nearly impossible to give people carte blanche money and expect them to not be idiots with it.

beans and potatoes you stupid fuck

t. texas
i feed my seventeen children on 92 dollars of ebt a month and we do just fine, my fourteen youngest daughters have never even seen a lobster

you at least better be feeding them brisket, slow smoked on the smoker in the driveway next to your 3rd boyfriend's Delta 88 on Forgiato 22 inch rims. You'd be a bad mother otherwise.

what about it
you need to fight or something

you should train those daughters to swim for lobsters. then you might have more than 92 obama bux to spend on food a month.

how do you even ferry them around in your 1997 chrysler caravan, 2000 dodge neon, and jamal's hoopty of the week? must be quite a challenge.

>
>It's a free license to go buy whatever the fuck you want with taxpayer money.

That's literally every government program funded under the sun. The majority of the people gaming the system are the workers hooking up the druggies, illegals and their scumbag relatives, while the actual taxpayers have been brainwashed, via Fox News, into believing it's only the first level parasites that are fucking the system over instead of actual needy.

You can't make special provisions for those on specialty diets, because, like 'eating healthy' for small kids/elderly, it's laughable expensive. Go look for low-sodium/potassium canned veggies/meals compared to the standard. It's practically night and day. There's no positive fixng EBT system, other than government-issued boxes of food like, like they used to do, but with the quality and price of food, nowadays, such a system should return to supplement EBT.

t. former government worker

Salt, onion, garlic, fat, water.

Fat, water?

ITT: fucknards that need to go the fuck back to their containment hole.

It’s impossible to spend ebt on non food items

Fat as in oil, butter, margarine, lard, etc.

You still soak the raw beans in water overnight before cooking them r..right?

Canned diced tomato is cheap and is a very nice addition to rice and beans as well.

I need a recipe for that, I feel like that can easily be messed up

That's like 15 packs of ramen or 3 lbs of rice. You won't eat well, but your belly won't be empty

My favorite poverty food is pasta bolognese without the meat.
Spices aren't expensive at all when bought from non-pretentious stores and you can get garlic, onion, pasta and tomatoes for the same price as a medium mcDonald's burger and it'll last you for at least 4 days

Potatoes are your friend if you've got some eggs and some shit to season it with. That's pretty much what I ate when I was poor. I had some cheese too so I would just chop that shit up, added some spices and salt, and then grated some cheese. Made some eggs too, and I washed it all down with some cheap ass malt liquor, like some Old E or some Steele Reserve. Helped get me through some really shitty times.

Some times for you poorfags out there. I lived in Colorado and in a place that had a big Mexican population, so I would hit up the mercados and you can find shit there for so much cheaper than if you went to Wal-Mart or regional grocery store. If you don't have one, I'm sure there's some other type of ethnic market like an asian market that will have stuff that's cheaper. But watch out, some stuff is more expensive, but that won't be a problem if you listen to the next point. Don't buy too much processed/pre-made shit. It's a big waste of money. You're better off sticking to meat, produce, and dried goods, and dairy if you can afford it. For $20 bucks, I had enough to to eat fairly comfortably for about a week. There wasn't much variety, but I wasn't really complaining or starving either.

Look for shit that's on sale, especially meat. Grocery stores usually mark down shit that's about to expire, so be on the lookout for that kind of shit. You could always freeze what you don't plan on eating, or do your meal within the next day or so and be fine. You can buy eggs and milk for fairly cheap as well. It's not going to be top grade shit, but hey, you're poor, and it's still a lot better than eating shitty pre-made microwave food. Buy dried food like oats, rice, and beans. If you don't have stock, just buy some bullion if you don't have any and add that to your rice to flavor it up, then add some vegetables to that shit. Like I said earlier, potatoes are a good choice too.

Retail drone, can confirm. EBT is a great asset as an augmentation to low income, but those who don't work at all have no concept of the value of money and squander it as soon as humanly possible on the most easily accessible conveniences. The first week of the month is usually when all the junk food, frozen shit, and soda goes on sale and it does so because that's when the gubmint does all the gibbing to the gibmedats.

At my local Sprouts, a 16 oz bag of store brand frozen veggies/fruit is like $2 a bag. I know other stores sell them around $1 a bag for frozen veggies/fruits if you know where to look.

Oats in bulk and peanut butter are also viable choices if you don't want to eat ramen all the time. The single serve tuna packets from Starkist are usually $1 each, cheaper if you use other brands (Bumblebee, Chicken of the Sea, etc.) and sometimes the cans might be cheaper than the packets.