Whiskey Thread

I just finished this bottle and found it quite nice. It is not cheap in my country, actually it's twice the price of JD but definitely twice the quality too. Have you tasted it user? Also, WHISKEY GENERAL

Other urls found in this thread:

thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
whiskeyreviewer.com/whiskey-reviews/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can't even compare this to the swill that is JD, man.
Glenfiddich, the "normal" one, is what I usually recommend to people who want to get into whisky for the first time time. It's smooth and inoffensive and all-round easy to enjoy neat.
The 12 is better but newbies often don't want to spend too much on their first bottle.

Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask is what I like best myself but you can't start people on those.

Isn't Glenfiddich 12 years the 'normal' version? Did you mean 15/18 years? Or am I wrong?

It comes with glasses? Wtf

The one I bought via internet took a lot to arrive, but when it did I was both confused and amazed about how the package contained a huge box instead of just the typicial Glenfiddich triangular cylinder. For my pleasing, they sent me pic related. The glasses are indeed pretty neat.

Some come with glasses. They are advertised as gift sets or whatever.

>triangular cylinder

>huge box instead of just the typicial Glenfiddich triangular cylinder
>typicial Glenfiddich triangular cylinder
>typicial triangular cylinder

Oh nooo! What have I done?! Hahahaha, I meant "typical triangular container". Please forgive my mistakes.

Reuleaux triangular prism

Looking at Wikipedia, the 12 is the lowest aged bottle Glenfiddich has on offer.

Looks like the "tround" for a Dardick gun.

Ok, thanks

I'm currently drinking Four Roses in the bath. I bought it because I saw it mentioned here. It's not great, but not bad. It's what you'd expect from the price, also it's not too sweet which is a plus for me.

I definitely prefer Buillet though, but it is £10 more expensive here.

Nice, I will check it out. Glenfiddich 12 is very sweet, a bit too much at first.

Why the fuck are you comparing bourbon to a scotch whiskey? JD is garbage and I love bourbon. That being said, this is my go to because it's only $40 and it's not bad for it's price range.

>Jack Daniel's
>Bourbon
Dude, do you even know what a bourbon is?

By the way, do you like Speyburn 10 more than Glenfiddich 12?

This is a cooking board, we don't need your degenerate devil water around here.

Sorry, must have got it mixed up with the 15. My bad.

I only respond to ignorant ass posters like this once, it's not my fault you don't what bourbon is. I like the Speyburn more.

>degenerate devil water
>literally invented by catholic priests
Wait, catholic pr... OH DAMN!

fuck off back to /pol/eddit please

only people who think JD isn't bourbon are autistic Tennessee fags

Laphroaig QC is one of my favourites, but I find myself coming back to this... there's something unique to it I can't put my finger on, something botanical, spicy and exotic I really like.

>ignorant ass posters
Technically, Jack Daniel's COULD be a legit bourbon but its makers have staten their product is not intended to be so: “We objected and used the fact that our whiskey is different and ‘doesn’t have the characteristics of a bourbon.’”. You could say it is more like a "bourbon-style whiskey", but not a bourbon by definition. Please check out the given links:
thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

I will look forward to try out the Speyburn, thank you.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks

Also, pic related

My uncle gave me that same whiskey for my birthday, it's pretty damn good.

Japanese whiskey is really sweet and fruity imo, not spicy at all. Have you ever tried Suntory Yamazaki?

Pic is my favorite. It has just the right amount of sweet, with vanilla-y and caramel flavors, but it also has a nice oak flavor.

Tried the yamazaki 18 at a bar in kyoto as one of my to-do things there, that was very good but felt more like a straight up scotch to me

this. its a little over $10 a bottle and tastes better than laphroaig, macallan, etc.
I am not canadian. this is not a shitpost.

What do you guys drink as a cheap daily driver. I have a few bottles of Scotch but would rather save it for special occasions.

There are many not-so-cheap not-so-expensive ones, you can buy Jameson, Grand Old Parr, Bushmills black, Glenfiddich 12/15, and even Jack Daniel's if you are into that.
Not sure what others here might think, but sometimes I go to this site to educate myslef a little:
> whiskeyreviewer.com/whiskey-reviews/

Glenmorangie 10 is an excellent daily driver scotch

No scotch can compare to a good bourbon. I've tried them all. Scotch is for people who don't like the taste of liquor and prefer to have a mild flavor. Good Bourbon is going to fill your mouth with flavor and still be smooth, just be careful if you get the cask strength. My recommendation.. start with an 80 dollar bottle of whistle pig. Thank me later.

Solid taste my friend.
At least you're drinking kentucky whiskey but good god man that's the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Reminder that if you like whiskey but don't have a drop of Kentucky bourbon in your home you're a plebian.

>paying 80 for rebranded Alberta premium
what a tool

>No scotch can compare to a good bourbon
dropped

Bourbon is incredibly mediocre and the smell is nauseating. For me it's scotch or rye

>tfw you bartend at one of the top 50 whiskey bars in america

But that's not even bourbon

fuck off with your HFCS laden garbage americuck

>Reminder that if you like whiskey but don't have a drop of Kentucky bourbon in your home you're a plebian.
What if you don't have a drop of bourbon in your home because every time you get a bottle you drink it in one night?

Bourbon is the only good drink in the whiskey family.

are you retarded?

Bourbon actually has much stricter rules prohibiting additives than scotch does. For instance, you're not allowed to put caramel coloring in bourbon while you can in scotch.

I'm looking for a whiskey with as much of a prevalent almond flavour as possible. Anyone have suggestions?

Any recommendations for a peaty blended whiskey. Preferably less expensive than Single Malts. I've read that JW Black is rather smoky, is that my best option?

Is Cutty Sark a good budget whiskey?

Love Blantons, was surprised to see it in John Wick.

this is the dumbest post on Veeky Forums right now

It's pretty good for the price. An inoffensive, maybe even a little bland, whisky.
If you're looking for something to have half a bottle of in one night you can do a lot worse than Cutty Sark but it's not really something to keep in a fancy decanter and have a rare single finger of once in a while.
Some whiskys in that price class taste like shit, though, and CS doesn't.

islay mist is decent and cheap

this

In the bath again drinking Four Roses. How anyone can have whiskey in their house for a long period of time without finishing it is beyond me.

Finished this bottle now so stay tuned tomorrow and I'll tell you what new bottle I've bought, and I'll review while bathing.

>How anyone can have whiskey in their house for a long period of time without finishing it is beyond me.
by not being an alcoholic?
I have the opposite Problem. I wanna sample various things, so I have a lot of bottles, but it's not that often that I'm in a liquor mood, and when I have friends over, it's mostly beer anyways, so the bottles just accumulate and start to oxydise.
Currently got a Speyburn 10 that's close to 2 years old and a Laphroig QC at about 3/4 of a year (and a lot of non whiskey bottles ranging from 2 months to 3 years).
Or maybe it's just because I don'T have a bathtub.

Yeah I'd recommend a glass in a shower but I doubt it would be as relaxing or hassle free.

A 70cl bottle will last me 5 days, not sure that makes me an alcoholic but maybe.

Oh shit, hold up. Whiskey in a sippy cup in the shower.

Done, son.

>A 70cl bottle will last me 5 days, not sure that makes me an alcoholic but maybe.
Uh, user, I got bad news for you…

Is half a gallon every 2 to 3 days bad?

buffalo trace or makers mark? theyre both around the same price point

70cl is less than a fifth of a gallon, having a fifth last you 5 days means youre having 2-3 drinks a day which isnt bad

My dream is to have access to a good whisky bar. I live in a small ass town where everyone only drinks cheap beer.

What are some of your faves/ something you want to try?

Can you guys please recommend me something that smells like art supplies?

Buffalo is certifiably good shit

Plenty of stores carry 200mm bottles of higher price whisky, even of cheap stuff like maker's. Theres no need to buy entire bottles of stuff you might not like. Look for notable liquor stores not just the one at target.

Does anyone have a good reason to buy expensive liquor. I understand that you may prefer the flavor, but I feel like its a insignificant reason. It gives the same result in the end. And honestly, none of it tastes really good. I've been drinking for about 15 years. I just buy cheap shit because it feels the same, and in some cases I've found the more expensive ones to taste more offensive. I don't drink for the hip flavor hints you smack your tongue to trying to find somewhere in the mix. I just drink to feel that little bit of euphoria it provides.

Either you have the taste to notice the extra fine details or you don’t

Drink what you like

American single malt? That's like putting a penis on the small of your back and trying to fuck your way to victory. Hilarious, embarrassing and completely futile.

this stuff is fucking great

Fair enough. I just don't understand the $300 bottles on the shelf which provide the exact same physical results as the $15 bottles. Looks like a whole lot of name branding shit found in the clothing fashion industry.

A cheap bottle is fine for getting hammered on Saturday night.
A nice glass of scotch is perfect for sitting in your favourite chair on a rainy day reading a book.

I'm trying to get into Whiskey right now. Bought a Glennlivet 18 for my first bottle. Tried to drink it straight and while I do enjoy the taste it is a bit overwhelmingly powerful. I can do shots and whatnot but sipping is a bit challenging as it kind of builds up into being difficult to drink. TL;DR am faggot please recommend easy to drink whiskeys that are good and will help me get over my faggotry.

Drop a little bit of water into the whisky. It will tame the harshness of it and will open up a few flavors that are otherwise overpowered by the alcohol. As you get more accustomed to it, you may find yourself adding less water as time goes on.

I would have suggested a lighter scotch to start, like the 12-year, but good on you for going with the 18.

drink it on ice or add a bit of water

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. I didn't know how to make it better so I just added cream soda like a dingus and while it did taste a bit smoother it still had that build up. I wanted to go with something nice so I got the 18. 21 was outrageously expensive. Almost bought a John Walker and Sons XR 21 as they were very close in price but decided to go single malt. Should I got back to get the XR? It looked pretty nice.

who tf gets hammered on bourbon?

no, right now you shouldn't waste money on any expensive whisky as all of the subtleties will be lost on you. I'm not saying this to be an asshole, as I'm sure you'll get to a place where expensive whisky is worth it in the near future, but for right now stick to mid-range stuff

If I were to shell out good money for scotch, I would rather spend it on single malts over blends. JW is a good blend, don't get me wrong, but I think the Blue label is overpriced for what it is, and I would assume the same goes for XR 21.

Though you may find you like blends better. They are not nearly as harsh/strong as single malts, and they are much easier to find anywhere you go.

Lots people I would suspect

Eh, I'm not a fan of the school of "graduating" into whisky. You don't need "training wheel" scotches to start enjoying the finer stuff. It's more about knowing what to experience when drinking it (nosing, palate, finish) that allows one to become a connoisseur of sorts.

By the time he finishes the Glenlivet 18, he's going to have a much different appreciation for it than when he began. Unless he guzzles the thing down like an alcoholic. Then I would direct him to the other thread.

Hello fellow whiskey drinkers, bit of a sideline question but what soy based snacks do you like to provide for your guests, as one bull finishes and the next one is warming up on your weekly "happy wife nights"?

go back to r.eddit

Yeah i understand what you mean by not wasting money on something I might not appreciate but in my experience with cocktails at least I found I appreciated them more when I went to a place that actually put quality liquor and care into the mix so I always kind of strove for quality to sway me out of my comfort zone I suppose.

As far as drinking quick I only drink a bit like once a week. Im sure I will enjoy it a lot more by the end of the bottle.

Bourbon tastes like a black and white cartoon of an anthropomorphized train whistle

someone recommend a fruity-tasting scotch, please. i've had peated scotches recently and i've generally loved them, but i want to try the other end of the spectrum.

Glengoyne if you can find it. Glenfiddich 15 is fine too.

after only having had grant's family reserve before as my only whiskey, i'm very pleasantly surprised by the taste of glenfiddich 12

I was always told "opinions can't be wrong", yet you go and disprove that.

I'd go buffalo trace, makers mark is ok but I found the high alcohol content obliterated any flavour, which is weird because Buillet is stronger but also tastier.

The problem with buffalo trace is at 40% it's too quick to drink, I'll find I've accidentally gone through a third of a bottle if I'm not careful.

please don't drink and drive

I was also wondering what a "daily driver" was, I assumed it couldn't be as it sounded. Drink driving is dumb, people who do it should be ostracized by their friends, family and community.

As promised. Will report later once I’ve walked the dog (and run the bath).

I received some as a christmas gift and really enjoyed it, are other glenmorangie offerings good?

Is it really?

I got embarrassingly smashed on buffalo trace last New Years

glenfiddich is pleb tier, and if it comes from Scotland it's whisky, not whiskey

Around me the 15 is only like $10 more than the 12.

I take that back I was thinking of the 14.