Order an old fashioned at a bar

>order an old fashioned at a bar
>"Sorry, we don't have bitters."

Why is this becoming so fucking common? Am I going to shit bars or have we lost all sense of decorum?

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.yahoo.com/style/coca-cola-breaks-130-old-044654594.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Quit your biker gang and stop going to divebars that only serve Bud and wellshots.

Bars cater to their crowd. You probably won't find bitters in a lot of places that don't have dark wood, marble, or granite prominently, and a warm-toned lighting scheme... basically the kind of place you'd expect people order Old-Fashioneds and Manhattans.

It's just sad because they used to a necessary staple of any bar. I guess sports bars ruined everything.

yup

the closest bar to my last apartment had great wings, actually made a pretty good old-fashioned, but tossed a bunch of fruit into white russians. I thought they were screwing with me because I got dragged out and decided not to change out of my housecoat, but I got one again, and same thing - maraschino cherries drowning in cream, kahlua and vodka.

>I thought they were screwing with me because I got dragged out and decided not to change out of my housecoat, but I got one again, and same thing - maraschino cherries drowning in cream, kahlua and vodka.
Weird.

sports bars aren't to be trusted for anything but lager, jager, and sports.

I don't drink often, but right now I'm living in Japan and I've been enjoying the local drink in my area, ochawari.

It's tea, water, and shochu.

Is that something I'd be able to get in the US? I assume not at a sports bar, but what about Asian restaurants?

Not likely. You're just going to have to stay there forever.

Any izakaya could make you one
That assumes you live somewhere where people know what an izakaya is
Flyovers need not apply

uk.yahoo.com/style/coca-cola-breaks-130-old-044654594.html

I haven't had a coke in a long time, but hell I might give that a shot.

A few months back they did a Coke work coffee drink, but I didn't get around to trying it.

I live in AUS and even the lowliest of country pubs have bitters.

At least the bartender knew that bitters go in the damn thing

Any bar that bad no bitter is a fucking shambles, there are so many drinks that use it.

I'm a bartender and this thread is the first time i've heard of a bar not having bitters. I'd honestly rather drop one of the following:

>tequila
>triple sec
>grenadine
>cognac

From my bar, than bitters...

What the fuck? Surely they were fucking around

*has no bitters
Autocorrect

what kind of bar doesnt have bitters? thats so retarded i just think you're lying
do you drink at truck stops or something?

>cognac
racist detected

The shittest bars I've ever gone to even had bitters.

yeah i fucking hate whitey

It's expensive and depending which town or country the bar is simply not avaliable.
Most people just want a Beer, G&T or a Highball 90% of the time so usually no point ordering shit in that'll only be needed once or twice a year.
t.Bartender.

Just buy a bottle of shochu and make it yourself. If you can't get bottles of o-cha then just order some mugi-cha tea bags or something on the 'net.

>order tom collins
>get gin and soda
>this is wrong, make it again
>retards start looking it up on their phones
>we don't have sour mix
>well that's good news because there isn't any in the drink I ordered
>we don't have syrup
>so make some? fuck it, just a gin tonic
>tonic from a squirt gun and not from a bottle
>that'll be $25 + tip
fuck this shit

I can't get a martini at any of the bars in my city.

I asked the pregnant, chain smoking bartender at the bar by the tracks if she could make one and she hesitated but said yes. Charged me $8 for a glass of gin and the brine from a jar of green olives.

Fuck the Midwest.

Tbf though she then made us all these absolutely fucking delicious drinks with a few kinds of cheap flavored vodka, grenadine, and Sprite and that shit was $4 and got us fucked up

>le wrong decade
Dive bars have never been places to order a cocktail. Your underage is showing.

Go to less shitty bars retard

Do you mentally retarded children go to McDonald's and complain you can't get a steak?

does mcdonalds still have breakfast all day?
you can get steak if so

When in the right bar (i.e. no dive bars), I have never had this issue.

Git gud

>highball
Plenty of movies and such show characters ordering a “highball”, even though I was under the impression that it refers more to a type of drink than the ingredients itself (liquor in a tall glass of some mixer). If I went to a bar and requested a highball, what would I get?

I remember when I was under age I would steal random bottles of alcohol from my parents cabinet and go sit in the park and get drunk.
One time I stole the bottle of bitters and tried to drink it straight from the bottle.

>dropping Tequila

That thundering sound is your owner laughing at you from miles and miles away. Tequila and Vodka are THE drinks for ripping off college chads and cocktail girls. Literally liquid filler that lets you charge $10+ per drink.

Grenadine and Cognac seem like easier drops that won't actually kill your ability to make money, but Grenadine is an ingredient in a few cash cocktails. So Cognac it is.

>go to a dive/sports bar
>order an old fashioned
>Dude this is a dive/sports bar
>B-but my special drink

It's an asian thing, no one gets highballs

This.

i was at a chain restaurant/bar once--not chili's or applebees but something like that. i don't remember the name, but i do remember that the restaurant literally had "whiskey" in the name. "old whiskey", "big whiskey", "the whiskey place". something like that. i order and old fashioned and the waitress asked, and i quote, "an old fashioned what?"

>i was at a chain restaurant/bar once--not chili's or applebees but something like that.

You went to a family "bar and grill" and expected anything special?

I hated faggots like you back when I did bartending at this little motel sports bar. Just get a beer, you're not impressing anyone.

Was it whiskey river in North Carolina?

I get grenadine but the other stuff?? Do people not buy them or something?

>Mojito
>Scotch and soda
>Rickeys
Ok dude

you sound like a fun guy to go to the bar with

Sounds more like you're just a ticked off bar tender, bar means bar user. When I want to be a little classy either it be a motel bar, or a 5 star hotel, I can very well be. Guess you weren't getting any from that motel job because you had a stick you your ass, this user gets to be some qt3.14's teddie bear while you're stuck behind the bar

I've been vibing on gin lately, but it's mostly simple shit like G&T and gimlets. Anyone got any good, more complex gin recipes they'd like to share?

Well it's not like I did it because I needed to, I had another job at the time and they just offered to let me start bartending there because I'd always go to drink there every day after work.
What people really want are beers or shots, all this fancy drink bullshit is hipsters trying to sound cool.

>go out with coworkers
>go to cheap place around the corner
>THAT ONE GUY WHO ALWAYS ORDERS THIS
>no we don't have that
>"Oh come on really can you check?"
>I can check but We don't have it
>"OH MAN CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DON'T HAVE THIS IN TEXAS MAN THEY GOT THIS"
>"Nope we don't have it"
>OH YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME!
>Is there something else I can get you?
>"yeah I guess let me have (cheapest thing on the menu)"

I am sure people do this just to look big

>never been to japan or korea

The point is that highablls aren't mostly an asian thing. Goddamit dude.

Yeah. If I really fell in love with some elaborate and/or outdated mixed drink I would just buy the ingredients and make it myself instead of trying to get the equivalent of fucking applebees wage slaves cobble it together to prove how worldly and sophisticated I am.

They are a hugely popular thing there everyone drinks it marketing is all over for them

Goddamit dude, just goddamit.

>Bud and Wellshots
Good name for a bar.

>Order a Mojito at a bar
>They don't even have mint