Low calorie food tips?

Any tips for really low calorie food? I'm on a pretty restrictive diet, and I'm looking for foods that are very low calorie so I can eat a reasonably unrestricted dinner.

Right now my go-tos are really just turkey breast slices, raw veggies with hot sauce, and stuff like pickles. I'm not a great cook, so looking for simplicity.

Other urls found in this thread:

liamrosen.com/fitness.html
youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Use rice for the main food and use others as filling on top.

Add meat/veggies/milk/butter/etc.

>breakfast
>1 cup rice + milk

~250 calorie

>lunch
>1.5 cup rice + meat/eggs of choice

~500 calorie

>dinner
>1 cup rice + veggies of choice

~300 calorie

~1000 calorie daily diet. Add seasoning as needed.

>i dunno how to cook rice
Get an electric rice cooker for ~$15-20. I've bought one rice cooker 5 years and its excellent.

>i dunno how to cook veggies
Get a steamer. ~$15-20. Very useful for veggies/meat/eggs/etc

Both of them are basically 1 button food maker that's very healthy and very cheap.

Steamer's good for making steamed buns(sorta bread like) too.

Eliminate the sauce (ie. carbs) and you're good to go.

You can even steam veggies in your rice cooker with a steam basket in there. All while you cook yr rice

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't eat breakfast or bring lunches to work, but with rice maybe I can make dinners more filling, or have something on hand for a post-work snack.

>rice
>low calorie
Rice is carbs. Carbs is calories.

>BUY THE NEW UNITASKER 2000 PLUS (trademark)

the thread

(You)
All foods are low calorie if you watch your portions. Hell my TDEE is 3000 so i struggle to get enough calories from unprocessed foods

how long will you be on this restrictive diet? if it's gonna be any length of time, i think you should really make an effort to get comfortable with cooking so you don't burn out on a limited menu.

most vegetables are so low calorie and oven roasting is incredibly easy but will give them an entirely different flavor and texture. also i find hot food more satisfying, especially if i've been doing mostly cold/raw food for several days in a row. baked potatoes are almost meat-like and taste great even with just hot sauce and none of the high calorie typical condiments. spaghetti squash takes a while to cook but offers another completely different texture and you can put just about anything in it.

making hot roasted or baked vegetables will make your dinner feel unrestricted.

>muh unitaskers
What would you do if you had to think for yourself, instead of just blindly following?

Low calorie is retarded you fat head. You are going to make your fat ass sicker. Fatness is a symptom of insufficient nutrition, your body tricks you into eating a surplus of calories in the hopes you might eat enough that you
eventually get the micronutrients you're missing. You need to figure out what it is you're not getting enough of, and once you correct the imbalance you'll naturally feel the need to eat less and your weight issues will sort themselves out.

I wouldn't buy a fucking unitasker for starters. Is this some kind of trick question?

Take some spinach, cut up some tomatoes, slice off a few pieces of mozzarella. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and some basil, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

>All foods are low calorie if you watch your portions.
>a 70kg dwarf isn't obese
That's not how it works.

OP, the simple answer is avoid prepackaged food and any carbs. But your body may go into into ketosis which isn't much fun if you're not expecting it.

Don't want calories?
So don't eat calories. Duh.

About two months is what I'm aiming for. I'm not obese by any means, but I'm overweight. Normally about once a year I cut out booze and lower my calories for a couple of months.

One of my main concerns with cooking for myself is miscounting calories, thinking I'm doing the right thing and eating too much. I really like this diet though, since I can come home and eat just about whatever I want within reason for dinner (it's hard to eat over 800 calories in a meal if you're not ordering pizza or burgers or whatever).

I'm sure I could handle a potato, and I guess steamed/baked veggies, but I enjoy them a lot raw.

I'm not sick, first off. But second, saying "eat more calories and you'll lose weight" is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I have a gut because I drink too much and eat too many calories. When I stop eating so many calories, I lose weight.

I've been in ketosis before and have done keto/Atkins style diets. I think they're effective, but it's really hard to stick to and live a semi-normal life. Just about anything worth eating on keto requires some kind of preparation, like grilling or baking or whatever... which is hard to do in an office, or find keto-friendly foods at restaurants with people.

i'm sure someone will whine at me for saying this, but do you have a calorie counting app? i used myfitnesspal for a while and since it's supported by users, there is a shitton of stuff in the food database so you can keep track fairly easily. if you use any packaged food, you can scan the bar code and it'll retrieve all the nutritional information. there are probably several options out there like this now. you're right though, it's easy to misjudge your calorie intake.

I have the opposite problem. I eat till im full but never gain any weight at all. Sucks when you wanna build muscle

>rice

Awful advice for someone who wants something filling and low calorie. It's what poor countries feed their peasants to keep them from dropping dead.

whole plant foods :-)

You can keep it up indefinitely and not break and binge.

Then follow Dwayne Johnson's diet program.

calorie counting is a meme.

learn to recognise how much food your body needs rather than scarfing down the plate "but wasting food? what about all the poor people that are starving" then go give them the food. a fatter you isn't going to make them starve any less.

it's part of human instinct to stop eating when full, we have a innate sense of when we have consumed the nutrients we need, a baby will spit or play with its food when it isn't hungry any more. growing up, this instinct gets dulled as your parents force you to 'finish the plate'

you can try to relearn your capacity by consuming smaller and smaller portions of food day by day. just don't starve yourself, that will only make things worse.

I don't have an app... that's definitely interesting. I just generally do it the old fashioned way instead of putting it into an app or writing it down. I always round up on the calories and I don't net out calories, meaning I don't subtract calories from a workout.

intellectual titan right here. what is geography?

I'm going to say this very simply and cleanly, so hopefully people understand: my weight gain isn't from overeating. It's from drinking too much. Filling my body with 2,000 empty calories a day before eating, and then being drunk and lazy and ordering in is what led me to gain weight.

I don't scarf down food all day, I rarely eat. While I am clean from drinking, I am cutting down calories and exercising to get my body into shape.

I'm diabetic and my cholesterol is over 900.

I gave long thought to this topic. Living the rest of my life popping pills, treating my favorite foods like poison, withering away as meals, the one joy I had in life becomes a thrice daily ritual of demoralization.

I decided I am going to die, and Im happy with that.

I dont even believe type 2, mine, is real diabetes. Type one people actually suffer from childhood. My body just doesnt deal with sugar as well as most. That doesnt mean Im sick. It takes so long to do anything they may as well have diagnosed me with 'time'.

So many things the world has to kill me and I am supposed to lose sleep over sugar. I hear they are already trying to cook up a 'type 3'. Medicine is such scam anymore.

Except a rice cooker isn't a unitasker, it's basically a steam version of a crock pot

Exercises tires your body and forces you to eat. Meanwhile cutting calorie reduces your weight.

If you want to lose weight, the only surest way is through cutting carbs. Exercise only helps you muscle up, not lose weight. Big meme if you bought into the "exercise = lose weight" nonsense.

I agree, the keto diet takes effort and preparation, and you'd need a good understanding of which foods contain carbs so you know what to avoid.
But I was really just saying that restricting calories at an extreme level can induce ketosis accidentally. It happened to me and I thought I was dying because I didn't know wtf was happening, and at the time I didn't really know what keto was. Just sayin, it's probably something that OP should be aware of if he's going to restrict calories from his diet.

Anyway, OP might even want to look into doing keto. I mean if he's going low-cal then he might as well. It's like, keto is to low-cal what vegan is to vegetarian.

Pretty much all of the evidence says differently, including my personal experience. I exercise so that while I am losing weight, I'm not losing it all from my strength and musculature.

OP is the one who replied to you. I don't have the flexibility to go keto. I know what contains carbs pretty well, but I just can't find the time to prepare good foods that make it more worth it than just sticking to lower calorie foods.

>I drink too much and it's making me fat
>tell me how to eat less
Addiction is a hell of a drug.

yo senpai I hear you but counter point: kidney failure is a real, real bad way to go.

You can hit a happy medium. There are ways. Walk around 30 mins a day - just listen to a podcast. I'm fat, so fat I get those aches where my fat pulls over my ribs, and I can do a mile on a treadmill in 30.

Instead of eating whatever the fuck you want three times a day, do so once a day. Bag a lunch so you can control cals on that easy. Eat a basic breakfast. Top off a meal with 5 fiber pills and a glass of water. Swap out Soda for something 0 cal and tasty. Walmart has a cheap and good flavored seltzer brand

there's a reason we have a constant general for people who are literally drinking themselves to death. /alc/general is basically a nihilistic death cult.

Already said I'm clean from the booze. Not asking how to avoid food so I can drink more. Looking to shed my beer gut by eating at a deficit and replacing my drinking time with physical activity.

I wish masturbation burned more calories than it did, i'd be so goddamn thin

Fair enough. I was just throwing it out there for you/op/anyone to consider.

But we both know you need to control your addiction to alcohol.
Cold turkey is the only answer.

t. 15 years sober with a 20 bmi
Athletic and single. Hello, ladies!

>types slow on phone
Disregard. Except the good looking part.

it's free so there's no harm in trying it if it sounds like something you might want to check out. anyway sounds like you're doing a good job user, keep it up

sounds like a person who has never done a single jumping jack in his life.

I think you're wrong. Calorie counting is effective, and for me the only thing that works for weight loss.

But diet is variable by person so your mileage may vary.

I second this recommendation. You may not have this issue, but most folks will underestimate calories, or not count some ect.. The app really helped me.

Yeah, I went cold turkey and I've been without booze for about three weeks now. It's boring. Unfortunately not quitting permanently, but I'm not here to talk about al/ck/.

You can eat anything if you don't swallow.

>Except a rice cooker isn't a unitasker, it basically does one thing

Not OP, but interested in your answer. I have a rice cooker and I often use it. but I stopped by this thread since hey why not?

What kind of meal prep should I be doing? 1 cup rice + milk? Like...a glass of milk or mixed in with my rice? What, if any seasoning, should I use?

With the lunch menu, you say meat or eggs of choice. If I did, say, eggs, how many eggs should I have?

Rice is cheap, milk isn't bad if I'm only having a glass or so. Eggs are also pretty cheap. Could I splurge on veggies? I have been buying these cheap and easy bags called steamables I think. Are these really bad or are they okay?

1k calories is pretty good yeah? what if you ARE a heafy fat ass who needs to lose a lot of weight? Just add water throughout the day to try and keep full yeah?

Do research on water fasting, it supposedly regulates insulin, cholesterol and blood pressure. You would have to give up food for days at a time, it isn't hard after the 3rd day though. Black coffee (which is only 2 calories per cup) is an appetite suppressant which could get you through the first 3 days.

>BUY THE NEW MULTITASKER 2000 PLUS TM. MAKE MEDIOCRE TOAST, STEAM AL DENTE VEGGIES, AND COOK FOOD IN LOW HEAT AND LOW PRESSURE ALL FOR THE GREAT LOW PRICE OF 79.99

Just don't eat meat or dairy, or any oils. Rice, beans, veggies, fruits, you can eats lots of those and get full without eating too many calories

Calorie counting is a meme now?
This shit is getting out of hand. Next you’ll tell me nutrition in general is a meme.

Not the rice guy but for rice and milk you can just treat the rice like cereal. I know it sounds gross but put a generous amount of cinnamon on it and heat it up it will taste decent and it's edible.

Cabbage is great--stir-fry it, or stew it with corned beef (and optionally potatoes.). (And corned beef and cabbage can be served with mustard, ~0 calories.). Roasted brussels sprouts or broccoli.

>Use rice for the main food
da fuq, no.

If you're gonna mass-cook starches, use potatoes or sweet potatoes. More nutrients, more filling (b/c they contain more water and more fiber.). R E A D G U Y E N E T.

>milk + rice
1 cup rice + decent amount of milk like cereal would do fine

>rice + egg
You can do variety of ways, but I just use 1-2 boiled eggs and cut/mix with rice + add bit of salt/seasonings.

>rice + veggies
rice + steamed potatoes + steamed spinach + heated kidney beans

>lose lot of weight
Water is good for the body to digest foods and carry out its normal functions. Average person can drink about 1-2 cup of water and have to pee about 1-2 hours later. With that in mind, you can drink water and flush out the system throughout the day every few hours.

1K calorie in good amounts of healthy food can be very decent for day to day. If you're exercising heavily, you need more to build up those muscles. But for sedentary lifestyle, its a good amount.

kek

>be me
>Eat a plate of food
>body contacts me
>u ate good
>go to sleep
>Wake up
>2 pounds heavier because you ate a fucking cake
>my bodi said it was gud for me

the chicken breast and the salmon have the lowest calories to highest protien ratio, protien keeps you feeling full and maintains your muscle mass

>meat/eggs of choice
>~500 calories
ya blew it

>cup of rice
200 calorie

>2 eggs
140 calorie

>1 serving of beef/pork
200 calorie

>1 serving of chicken
330 calorie

Yeah, its there. You just got to understand serving sizes

This is really, very nice. Mozzarella is expensive but for this simple little dish it is worth it.

A lot of bodybuilders cook large batches of food then pre-portion them for the week.

One of my go-tos is pan-fryed ground turkey, veggies, (broccoli, carrots, green beans, etc.), then mixing them with some rice and vodka sauce.

I usually make enough for two or three days, since I'm lazy as fuck and don't want to cook.

While lowering your calorie intake is important, what you should really be aiming for are foods that are nutritious and satiating for the amount of calories they contain. Some foods, like full fat dairy products for example, are better for weight loss/maintenance than skim or low fat products. Protein is the most satiating macro nutrient, but neither carbs nor fats should be demonized. Base a lot of your meals on whole grains and pulses - the trifecta of cheap, satiating, and healthy. Just vary your spices and veggies and you can have a million variations of bean and lentil stews. Try to stay away from added sweeteners, though a bit of honey from time to time won't kill you. The biggest no-no is heavily processed foods, which is why it will probably be important for you to become more comfortable cooking, even if you don't think it'll ever be something you want to do for its own sake. Even if you limit your intake, your brain/body is still aware of how much food "it wishes it could eat," so your appetite won't decrease and you'll almost definitely gain the weight back.

Get a rice cooker, they're cheap and extremely useful. They're good for more than just rice. I cook oatmeal in mine all the time, and that's probably one of the best breakfasts you can make for yourself. The big meme right now is Instant Pots, which are electric pressure cookers. I hear they're particularly good for people who aren't already into cooking. It will be useful if you make a lot of bean-based dishes.

Beware most weight loss and nutrition advice. Much of the popular info being pushed is wrong. Here are a couple of resources to educate yourself:
www.hsph.harvard [dot] edu [slash]obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/
Can't link because it's being caught in the spam filter, but google "International society of sports nutrition position stand: diets and body composition"

t. formerly overweight, lost a third of my body weight, and have kept the weight off for 5 years

>and satiating for the amount of calories they contain
This.

Hard-boiled eggs. Take a look at the keto diet if you're after weight loss; it's done wonders for me. Every thread about it gets firebombed by butthurt vegans who hate the idea that we're eating meat, though.

Eat what you normally do, but reduce high calory/low nutrient food like rice, wheat, or candy. Eat more vegetables and protein to reduce hunger.

Literally do the opposite of

Follow every single meal with an apple. it will make you disgustingly full no matter what you ate 100 percent of the time

Protein is calories

Fat is calories

What's your point you donkey? Go to school

density, you dense motherfucker

Eat whatever quantity you want of healthy food, but eat nothing for 1 week a month. Fast one continuous week, or fast 2 days a week. The problem is not that we eat too much, but that we eat too non-stop. Give your digestive systems regular breaks of 24+ hours, the longer and more often the better.

i've lost 160 pounds in the last 2 years. used to be morbidly obese. i did it only through proper diet and exercise.

imo, eggs and egg whites are king for weight loss, but as long as you combine lean protein sources with some combination of low calorie vegetables, you will lose weight.

>carbs are more calorie dense then fats
Retard

hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, or fried?

scrambled is best. i will eat 1 egg and add some extra egg whites to it to boost up the protein. tastes the same as regular eggs when it's scrambled up.

My favorite thing to eat when I run out of calories for the day is tomato & cucumber salad with tzatziki.

For the salad
>~150g sliced cherry tomatoes
>~200g sliced english cucumber
>~20g kalamata olives

Tzatziki sauce
>half a cup of nonfat greek yogurt
>~20g grated cucumber
>1 clove grated garlic
>squeeze of lemon
>1 tsp finely chopped mint
>salt & pepper to taste

Top it with 1 oz feta. Comes out to about 250 calories. Not a whole lot of protein or fiber but it's still pretty filling just because of the sheer volume.

Wow, are you a girl?

>low calorie is retarded, the real key to weight loss is to eat less!

go take a nap user

plain boiled, mashed potatoes. try eating 200 cal worth before/after a meal. it is objectively the highest satiety food.

Yes

>rice as the main filler

There's a reason people say your hungry in an hour after eating Chinese. Rice digests fast and doesn't fool you for long. You're better off with proteins and a moderate amount of fats as they will fill you up.

Be sure to track your protein, once I started doing that and eating at least 1g of protein per 1kg of my health improved a lot. I don't feel hunger as much as I used to, I don't have troubles waking up anymore, my eye floaters that appeared recently went away quciker than they used to before, feels good. Also increasing your fiber intake to at least 25-30g a day is another great idea, it also provides a lot of health impovements. Now I realise it's unrelated to OP but I just want to share my experience.

Olives are low cal and great. I would make an olive salad of black, green, and Greek. I usually put some Italian dressing over them.

neat

How many are you eating? Kalamatas are 25 calories for 4 pieces the size of your thumbnail before you put italian dressing on them? They're pretty high in fat.

Olives are a little over 100 kcal per 100 g. and about 12 g. of fat.
That's not bad for something you eat as a snack in my opinion.

You really don't need the dressing.

I appreciate it, but I find meal prep to be ridiculously gross.

This sounds decent. I might try it.

I don't hate this plan but sometimes my job requires I eat with vendors and stuff. I can't just sit and watch people eat during a lunch meeting.

OP thanks you all so far. Open to more input.

2litres of pop is maybe 800cals, you could hhave one for breakfast and another for dinner.

usually i chop up a bunch of onions and fry them in olive oil with cayenne paper, some maple syrup, pepper and tumeric with some meat and then throw it on a bunch of greek yogurt and hummus

Learning how to cook can help your diet ten-fold, plus these are pretty easy meals to make.

Cutting processed food alone will make you lose weight. Also, cut back on the bread and no soda.

Heat up the oven, put in a simple marinated chiken breast and a salad on the side and you've got yourself a great lunch.

fuck off with your tumblr logic you meme
nice fatlogic

I'm skipping lunch, and it's not available for me to do at work even if I wasn't.

Cooking is really a luxury I don't have the time for most of the... because of roommate issues and time spent at work.

Yeah. I am eating as a snack at work. Sometimes I use dressing and sometimes I don’t. When I do I’m not ducking drowning them in it like some do.

High fiber foods are crucial. They help you feel full longer, promote healthy gut bacteria, and regulate blood sugar. Also they help eliminate excess cholesterol. Bunches of other stuff too. Work your way up slowly and drink lots of water so your gut doesn't rebel and make you miserable.

Just read the Veeky Forums sticky

Too many homosexuals over at Veeky Forums

liamrosen.com/fitness.html

youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

cut out the carbs, the blood sugar spike locks away energy so you can't use it and makes you hungry again, you probably also have some insulin resistance

I regularly just eat one meal a day, because after you cut out carbs it's easy to intermittently fast

OP here. I hate the Veeky Forums sticky. Too much bullshit about macros, and every answer is GO LIFT.

>vary spices and veggies
Could I get some examples? I have a ton of spices but no idea what to do with them all. I mostly just mix a bunch that seem good individually.

Any good cheap foods that I can snack on that won't take 10 years off my life?

Then quit drinking you stupid fucking cunt