How do you decide what you get when shopping for groceries?

How do you decide what you get when shopping for groceries?
I often end up underbuying for myself and cook a lot less than I'd like

It's usually a few constants and then whatever I feel like. I tend to buy more than I need, and my only issue with that is if I accidentally cook too much because of it. I spend $200 a week living alone.

>How do you decide what you get when shopping for groceries?
Living on your own you start to get a good feel for the basics that you're gonna need to buy every single week, and where they're on sale.

Milk / eggs / butter / chicken / hamburger / etc....

Aside from that, really just see whatever's on sale or a good price.

>200 a week
wtf? youre doing it wrong.
also checked

I only buy what I need for the next few meals.
I go grocery shopping almost every third day.

>I spend $200 a week living alone
When is your episode of My 600 lb Life coming on?

>they think it's junk food or something
It's a mix between decent meat and fresh out of season fruits and vegetables that are doing it. I don't mind the cost.

no. unless youre eating 20 lbs of meat a week, 4 gallons of milk, three loaves of bread, 6 lbs of fruits, 3 lbs of veggies. theres no way.

I feel like this is related enough to leave here.

I'd post a receipt from my last grocery trip, but I'm not sure where I put it. Why those specific things?

Anyways, a good cut of meat can run around $15 sometimes. I also go for lamb, which is almost always $10 at least. Fish can cost quite a bit too. Let's call those costs $80 since I buy for 7 days at least. 3lbs of vegetables actually sounds pretty solid since I include them in every meal. I tend to get broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, swiss chard, and zucchini. Fruit is usually limited to a carton or two of berries which are typically $4-$5 each and avocados which are around the same for three. Let's call produce $60. That's already $140. I didn't include sardines and such in the meat costs, so let's call that $15 since I buy 5 cans. $155. Almondmilk for $5, carton of 18 eggs for $5, around two packs of bacon for $8. That's $173. I often buy juices for my nephew since he visits a lot, and a pack of those typically costs $14 for the decent stuff for fuck knows what reason. $189. I typically grab one or two kombuchas because I legitimately enjoy them, and those are about $4 each. $197. That's pretty much all I can think of unless you count alcohol.

What do you consist on rice and beans only? Not him but I like 3 real meals a day. Not just a bag of chips or a fucking sandwich. That adds up. I don't care as long as I can afford.

>since I buy for 7 days at least
either your buying for 1 week or youre not. my original comment stands, youre doing it wrong. living on your own, one fully cooked meal should last 2-3 meals. this goes for you too

>one fully cooked meal should last 2-3 meals
What the fuck kind of weird ass logic is this? Am I supposed to split a single meal's worth into three meals? Am I supposed to cook an entire day's worth of food while cooking the first meal?

Seems about right. Those guys are calling you fat/stupid because they're jealous as fuck that they wallow in poverty, having to stand in line at the soup kitchen just to eat while you can actually afford groceries like a proper, employed white person.

Jesus Christ what store do you shop at that charges $5 for a carton of eggs

Thats how much the non factory eggs cost where i live. Not even that guy

I don't see how $5 for 18 eggs is somehow an outrage to you. That's just what it costs if you don't want eggs of questionable origin, quality, and/or freshness. Store brand is $3.47 for 18. $1 is really not that big a gap.

funny you never answered the question

Regional chain in New England.

If you actually cook regularly, you'll have an innate sense of how much you're going to need, and you don't have to worry about this. Plan a few meals, get what you need, if you've got leftover ingredients go back later on and supplement what you've got.

My main issue with grocery shopping is that some of the things I need are packaged in ridiculously large quantities for a single person living alone. So I end up either having to make extra and freeze it, or throw them out (they're ridiculously cheap, I'm talking about stuff like peppers and certain herbs and vegetables, but it's still a waste).

Really? Well im from vermont and ive never seen eggs for 5 dollars.

So am I, and I have.

not a flyover

I pay 2 dollars for 18 eggs. Seriously, 5 dollars? What the fuck

Each mouthful of your eggs is made from the pure distilled agony of tortured poultry. I hope you can answer for your crimes on the day of Judgement.

I typically run to the grocery store on my way home from work most days and just pick up a few things I'm low on. It typically costs me about 15-20 bucks each time.

I don't have a care so I very rarely make big trips where I buy a bunch of stuff.

>Each mouthful of your eggs is made from the pure distilled agony of tortured poultry.
Good

Enjoy your lower quality of life

Enjoy your eggs from Monsanto and McDonald's farms.

I don't have to buy eggs from the store, I can buy them from my neighbor. Hell, I could just raise chickens myself if I wanted to. Either way, the eggs taste the same.

Yeah, you're completely missing carbs. That's cool if it's what you're going for, but you'd probably be able to cut your food cost in at least half by adding grains and reducing other portions.

I don't really like rice, potatoes or pasta. What I do typically get is oatmeal in bulk, and I get bread for free from my aunt since she runs her own bakery, so those and fruits are where I get most of my carbs.

Ah, you're one of those.

None factory eggs cost under three bucks here. Which is good because my wife eats 3 to six a day.

the human body needs 0 grams of carbs.
yes they taste great but dont pretend they are healthy or necessary.

I didn't say they were. What they are is cheap and we were talking about his grocery budget.

One of what?

Yeah, who needs vegetables.

Bitch 6 eggs costs 3 euro here in Paris

I hate communism now

I assume he's either gonna call you a faggot or a keto/lchf person.

I was steamed hams posting ive never been to Vermont in my life

Satan can afford $200 a minute if he wanted.

Eat before i go to the store and make a list and stick to it.

I buy meat maybe every two weeks. I'll just get whatever's on sale, then plan meals and shop based on that. Once or twice a week I'll go to buy fresh veggies, and replace stuff like bread, eggs, and butter.
If you keep your kitchen stocked with essentials you dont need to buy that much.

I can spend about 40 a week with bulk chicken almond milk, orange juice yogurt fruit and eggs i buy weekly and usually refill whatever essential ran out the week before
I can drop down to 20 bucks a week or even cheaper but that just wont be as enjoyable for me. I try going once a week only so I dont spend too much or waste too much time in the grocery store

Eggs in iowa are 80cents for 18 but the downside is you live in fucking Iowa

That post was probably bait, but it's not really all that unreasonable. Most of us on this board are students, NEETs, or working poor, so yeah we budget. And it is possible to eat well on less, I eat very well on $50CAD or less a week, but there actually are people out there (even on this site) who have good jobs and can afford speciality products and better cuts of meats and whatnot. I'm a good enough cook to make a $5 sirloin tip roast taste great, but I guarantee you that if I had a good job I would be eating prime rib every weekend.

you dont need the carbs in vegetables. only all the fucking other stuff.
fucking brainlets

Eggs in Ohio are 99ยข a dozen and often on sale for less. Ohio, though.

As for OP: plan your meals out better and take the financial hit to stock yourself up well. At any given moment I have the ingredients on hand to make about 10 different dishes. Stock up on staples and your life will be so much easier.

I'd recommend starting with a list like this:

>canned or dry kidney, navy, black, pinto, lima, and refried beans and some lentils (I usually keep enough for 3 meals worth of each)
>bulk rice: white, brown, arborio, basmati, jasmine (1-3 lbs)
>various pasta styles, including whole wheat (at least 5 varieties)
>sauce/dressing/marinade starters like vinegar (apple cider, red, rice), honey, peanut butter, canola and olive oil, preserves, soy sauce, even some store bought things like bbq sauce and good mustard
>like three each cartons or cans of chicken, beef, and vegetable stock (making your own is awesome but time consuming)
>canned tomato products: paste, crushed, stewed, diced, etc.
>frozen veggies like corn, peas, carrots, etc (I usually stear clear of medleys)

Then you just keep up on meats (buy in bulk, freeze), eggs, fresh produce, bread, milk, etc. and you're good to cook lots of different shit at a moment's notice.

A well stocked pantry will save your life.